PDA

View Full Version : 30gb ipod video HELP!!!!

Dutchman
12-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I got a used 30gb ipod video a while back. The first day it was working fine, then the "please wait very low battery" symbol came up and it froze. So I did some research and I found out how to reset it. I did this and then the screen went blank and it wouldn't turn back on. I tried charging it and you can hear the harddrive working, but the screen is still blank. Do I have to replace the hard drive? Please Help...

Hossy
12-27-2007, 02:06 PM
How about you take it to your local Apple store and they will tell you what is up with it-

Critical
12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
The Apple store will charge to look at it if it's out of warranty.

Look here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60970) for an article on iPods battery, it sounds like one of two things, either the battery is just drained, which means you need to follow the procedures outlined there, or, the battery may be toast, in which case you need to replace the battery. Replacing the battery takes about 20 minutes and costs about $50 the last time I did one.

Dutchman
12-27-2007, 02:52 PM
so you think it is the battery? because the hard drive is still making noise, but nothing comes up on the screen. Thanks for the link, but I have already tried these things.

Critical
12-27-2007, 03:00 PM
How long did you have it plugged in to charge? If it was longer than an hour, than it's probably the battery.

Dutchman
12-27-2007, 03:11 PM
I had it charging in a docking station all night last night. If it was the battery then wouldn't there be no life in the hard drive?

Hob Hayward
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Usually they can run off the dock, so you'd get SOMETHING on the screen eve w/ a dead battery.

I'd take it to an apple store if its in warrantee.

Critical
12-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Usually they can run off the dock, so you'd get SOMETHING on the screen eve w/ a dead battery.

Possibly, but if it was the board, then either nothing would appear, weird errors would occur or the sad mac icon would be showing, and, 99% of all the problems with iPods I've ever heard about are either board or battery.

Dutchman
12-27-2007, 07:31 PM
So I have to replace the board?

Critical
12-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Probably not, just the battery. Here (http://www.ipodjuice.com/video-ipod-battery-replacement-kit-30GB-550-mAh.htm) is one place to get it from, $29! Prices have come way down since the last time I did one.

(I'm not endorsing this site or their product, It's just what came up in a google search)

Dutchman
12-28-2007, 07:16 AM
I'll give that a try, Thanks for all of the help!

Dutchman
01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
I was going to buy the battery but now I'm having second thoughts because I think it might be the LCD screen that's broken. That would be why nothing is showing up on the screen even though the hard drive still makes noise. (which means it still charges and the battery isn't dead)