PDA

View Full Version : how to play .wmv in itunes?

kramernator
12-25-2007, 02:22 PM
i have some video files that are .wmv and i don't know how to convert (it would also be nice to edit them) them to play on itunes so i can put them i my new ipod. if i could get them in the right format i could edit them on the school computers (macs with imovie) but i don't know how to convert them!!! i need help
thanks!

calebh
12-25-2007, 05:02 PM
you download VLC player. it plays everything and then some. you trash the ipod and buy something more open. you use .mp3 and .avi file formats. they play virtually everywhere.

sorry, proprietary file formats really piss me off. i figure it's my file, i should be able to do what i want with it.

timbertiger20
12-25-2007, 05:33 PM
someone hacked the IPOD software to play anything........not sure how available it is though............

DFSniper
12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
you download VLC player. it plays everything and then some. you trash the ipod and buy something more open. you use .mp3 and .avi file formats. they play virtually everywhere.
QFT. i use VLC for all my video files.

do a search on download.com and see what programs you can pull up. they have a lot!!!

Critical
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
sorry, proprietary file formats really piss me off. i figure it's my file, i should be able to do what i want with it.

Yet you endorse mp3 and avi files, that are proprietary file types themselves?

For the OP, I haven't used it myself, but the Videora ipod converter also looks interesting.

deano 177
12-26-2007, 08:48 AM
The longest possible way would be to get a cd re-writeable and make mp3 cds from wmp and then re-rip them with ipod crap. In the options tab in Windows media player you can set it up to rip all songs in mp3 format and then Itunes can search your computer and locate the mp3s for its own library. I dont know if this is possible after the fact but it can be done before you rip the cds.