PDA

View Full Version : E-frame fail in cold weather

chilipepper5194
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey everyone,
So I was out playing one-on-one in the woods but after the first game my e-frame stopped tripping the bolt. :confused: :confused: :mad: The light would turn off everytime I pulled the trigger like it was low on batteries or something. Well, I brought it back inside and 15 minutes later, after it had a chance to warm up, it worked just fine. Could it be that the extreme cold (I live in Northern Minnesota) was freezing up or somehow messing with the electronic equipment in the e-frame? I had never heard of this and did not see anything on the web about it. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

pb34
12-24-2007, 07:30 PM
It sounds like the battery. The battery was most likely low on juice and I'm sure the cold didn't help. Recharge your battery and you should be fine.

vwjimmy
12-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Sounds like it was the battery that didn't like the cold......
Is it a fully charged 9.6 volt?

deano 177
12-24-2007, 10:09 PM
A guy at work did a science project with his kid. They used 4 AA batteries from the same pack. They put 2 AA batteries in their freezer and left 2 in a drawer for a week. The checked the voltage and the ones in the freezer had less voltage. Then they put them on each on a bulb and let them burn checking them every half hour. The ones that were in the freezer went out first. However, while letting the room temperature ones burn out, the ones that were in the deep freeze started coming back on.

So, I guess the cold could effect the chemical reactions of the battery. From what I have heard those triggers are pretty sensitive to the voltage and if your battery was old or not charged the cold may have had some effect on it.

chilipepper5194
12-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I guess cold temperatures could affect the transfer of power in the battery. Maybe I'll try to buy another since I don't have a charger connection for my rechargeable...stupid I know.

pb34
12-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I guess cold temperatures could affect the transfer of power in the battery. Maybe I'll try to buy another since I don't have a charger connection for my rechargeable...stupid I know.

Just make sure you buy a 9.6 volt. Spyders don't seem to like regular 9v's very much.

Tech Steve
12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
a regular 9 volt battery will not work with spyder markers. It is not a sufficient enough power source. You MUST use a 9.6 volt rechargeable battery. It actually gets around 11.4 volts on a full charge

nixin
12-30-2007, 10:37 AM
sounds like the elctrolite in the battery was starting to get cold that will slow down the transfer of elcetrons.and lower the voltage.