PDA

View Full Version : Seven Inches Of Snow Last Night!!!

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Good times right??

No...

Bad news.. I crashed my dads truck last night, more bad news.. there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and still snowing and it blew out a tire.. even more bad news I was up on the shoulder with a tire completely off the rim which leads to me not being able to move plus the jack just sinking into the ground. Now the fun part phone call to dad. Hes PO'D!! Semi bad news.. he has to come out and help me because I had nothing to put the jack on but we do finally get it off and the spare on.

Kinda sorta not really good news.. The curb was low enough that it didn't hit the rim at all. More kinda sorta good news.. just put air in the tire that blew out and seems to be holding air.

Bad news.. dad is still pissed.

Ok so it wasn't really a "crash" but it could have been. Let me explain.. I had to be my sisters taxi last night and I took the truck since it was bad out. It had rained and sleeted before the snow so that froze underneath the snow and i was coming over a hill right by our high school entrance and someone pulled out right in front of me. Two options for me.. smash into this little car or miss him and go over the curb to the entrance and pray I stop before the trees. I picked the second option. Probably worked out for the better since I did stop like 10 feet short the the tree line. Then I basically explained the rest of the story already. :o

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 08:18 AM
wow. the first thing i thought when i read the title was "hoppy's going skiing!!" good thing the snow slowed you down...

The Pumper
12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I've had days like that. Not with a tire being blown or being stuck, but alot of snow on the ground and being near impossible to control the car.

DRAGON
12-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Sry to hear of your misfortune Hoppster. Still looking for snow here but looks like it just aint gonna happen. Have the windows open with the fan on keeping cool. In years to come, you'll all recall this incident and laugh about it in light that no one was hurt. Trucks can be replaced......Hoppster clan's cannot. He'll get over it -

Ace24
12-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear about that... but... thats a common thing around here.

We get a lot of snow... yet people are retards and don't know how to drive in it. I personally practice getting sideways and stopping myself/keeping myself going/ recovering.

Then you get the people who don't know how to drive their SUV's... I almost got hit on the driver side door, by an SUV, which was as tall as my Toyota, and would have probably ended my life if it hit me. His headlights were probably about a foot to two feet away when he stopped. He ran a stop sign. Not sure if he slid through it, or just realized he ran it at the last second, but I just about had a heart attack. Thank god I didn't swerve and just kept going. Takes a lot to scare me when I'm behind the wheel.

We got almost 12 over night last week during a blizzard.

You're lucky you were in a truck.

Hob Hayward
12-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, we got hit with the same storm as you Ace, put 12+ inches on the ground, still got 6 inches of it left outside.

Some people are just clueless when it comes to snow... I heard from some friends who moved to Austin, TX that when they got a couple inches - it caused mayhem, people had run off the road all over the place..

Ace24
12-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, we got hit with the same storm as you Ace, put 12+ inches on the ground, still got 6 inches of it left outside.

Some people are just clueless when it comes to snow... I heard from some friends who moved to Austin, TX that when they got a couple inches - it caused mayhem, people had run off the road all over the place..

That makes sense though... NO ONE has snow tires/all weather tires down there. Makes it very difficult to drive with regular summer tires on.

It's funny though, everything closes.

bamf-hacker
12-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow you are a noob :)

Glad you are ok, shall I ban you now for making your Dad mad?

vwjimmy
12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Bummer it happened dude, but a fine job saving the truck, the little car, you and your sister!
This will go away alot quicker than it would with a couple of damaged vehicles or worse!!!

shunut
12-24-2007, 10:14 AM
That sucks, good part is nobody was hurt. The truck is an object and can be replaced.

And, where are the pictures of the snow?

durrell
12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
1/2 inch of snow here puts everything into chaos. Everything closes down and people have to stock up on food because they can't drive.

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 10:22 AM
i can relate to the whole "people cant drive in the snow." i dont know how it is in Durrell's part of NC, but where i was, we had a cop car spin out trying to turn into our neighborhood! >_< the only place i've lived where people could actually drive right in the snow was colorado...

edit: lol, D, beat me to it!! it surprises me how much people panic when they get more than 2" of snow...

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
OK soo real good news. Tire is still holding air. We are still taking it in on Wednesday to make sure everything is good but seems to be no damage done. Thank god for big tires on trucks :D

We get a TON of snow every year. Fully capable of driving in it it just was bad luck that it happened on a down hill and that we had freezing rain before hand. Ive never even spun out before and Ive been driving for 4 years now.

EDIT: No dan you ass.

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
hoppy, youre in michigan, right? what part?

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Well I live in Detroit for school but Im fron the west side and ahve lived new Grand Rapids my whole life. I had the little accident in my home town.

bamf-hacker
12-24-2007, 01:40 PM
EDIT: No dan you ass.

Hopps you get a BAMF-pAss since I am in the holiday spirit. Come the 26th look out :)

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Come the 26th I will be gone until the 6th :p

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 01:47 PM
ah ok. im gonna be in Westland/Garden City (about half way between ann arbor and detroit) from the 26th 'til new years visiting family. it'll be good to actually see some snow before the year is over.

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I really wouldn't count on having a ton of snow over there. East side of the state doesn't get snow like we do.

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 02:00 PM
well, hopefully they'll have SOME snow. we've had less than 1/2", and i dont consider that snow, more like "thick rain that lightly coated the grass for half a day." i wanted to go up north and visit my great grandmother (up by Petosky), but we dont have room in our schedule :(

Ace24
12-24-2007, 02:12 PM
My bro was stationed in Grand Rapids for a while... Thats how I got to MI in the first place to go to Silver Lake Sand dunes... and the Michigan Motor Speedway and race. Haha.

He said the snow is about as bad as Rochester.

Right now, there is black ice under the snow. I was having fun in the mall parking lot drifting in my Toyota haha. So much fun getting a 4 wheel drift and steering out of it into another drift. The security looked mad though :(

DRAGON
12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
ah ok. im gonna be in Westland/Garden City (about half way between ann arbor and detroit) from the 26th 'til new years visiting family. it'll be good to actually see some snow before the year is over.

If you wanna throw some paint while you're there, go to Killer Paintball in Livonia Mall(ask your relatives, they'll know where LM's at) just a few miles from where you'll be - ;)

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 03:47 PM
i want to take my cousin because his uncle bought him a talon and he's never played before, just plinks around in the backyard. unfortunately we won't have time, and he lives all the way out in Jackson County (a few miles away from Ted Nugent's place!).

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 03:57 PM
There are a ton of indoor fields in the metro area in Detroit. They advertise on tv all the time.

Drago.. is that field good? We are planning on doing an event there with our fraternity.

DRAGON
12-24-2007, 04:55 PM
...........and he lives all the way out in Jackson County (a few miles away from Ted Nugent's place!).

Tedly is originally from Redford which is very close to where you're going to be. He went to school in Redford. AMOF his first band which was the Amboy Dukes was named after a street Amboy in Redford -

There are a ton of indoor fields in the metro area in Detroit. They advertise on tv all the time.

Drago.. is that field good? We are planning on doing an event there with our fraternity.

I'm very good friends with both the owners there. Ken(Killer), one of the owners just sent me a bunch of passes to give my kids for Christmas. Where are you going to college, Wayne State......U of M Dearborn? -

Hoppy11
12-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Neither lol. Lawrence Technological University. Architecture major. Its in Southfield.

DFSniper
12-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Tedly is originally from Redford which is very close to where you're going to be. He went to school in Redford. AMOF his first band which was the Amboy Dukes was named after a street Amboy in Redford -

i know :D my dad graduated HS with one of his daughters and had him as the guest speaker at graduation!! while cleaning out our moving boxes this summer, he found Ted's autograph!

DRAGON
12-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Lawrence has been around for quite a while. Nice school Hoppy. Far as Ken's field, they recently took it over from a place called Futureball. Since I've been here for a while I've never been there since they renovated it. From what I hear, there's 2 fields. 1 speedball and the other a recball type field. I'm sure it beats playing in the snow -

Hee hee, I thought it was odd that you mentioned "Tedly's daughter" but I'll bet he's pushin or may even be over 60 lol. Small world - ;)