PDA

View Full Version : Support Thread version 2.0

shunut
12-28-2005, 02:26 PM
We had this thread on the other forum; Vike started it to help him when he was trying to lose weight. I miss it because I was one of the few who posted regularly on there.

So the purpose of this thread if you never saw it on the previous KUSA is to support each other on our life endeavors in weight loss/gain. Let everyone know what your goals are, if your having trouble reaching those goals, need help making a workout routine, need feedback or ideas on supplements, ect...

I'll start us out:

Due to the holidays I haven't exactly been sticking to my workout routine. I've still been going to the gym almost everyday but the drive just isn't there right now. I got another year membership to the gym for Christmas and hopefully after New Years I'll be able to get back into it. I'm maintaining my weight and actually last night on flat bench did 195 lbs twice without a spot. That was at the end of that workout. I started at 115 lbs, did that 10 times. Then 155 lbs, 8 times, then 185 lbs 6 times and finally 195 lbs twice. I'm almost positive that I can put up at least 200 lbs now, if not more. I'll give that a try next week because I'm going to try to max out next week, just to see what my numbers are at the beginning of the year.

So, chubz, vike, qaz and others, how are you guys doing?

durrell
12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
I dont need to lose anymore weight, my mom is worried about me because I cant seem to gain weight anymore. She thinks I'm anemic. But I do want to start running to build stamina and just to make me healthier as a whole, and I'm trying hard to cut back on the junk foods but the holidays havent helped. I also want to start lifting but I just have this feeling when I lift at the Y that everyone is watching me so I think we might pick up a weight bench for here at home..but yeah, I'm trying just to tone up a bit and make it to where I can play paintball and basketball for long periods of time without running shor of breath. I do have a small dose of asthma, but that's not why I run short of breath..I just don't exercise alot..

shunut
12-28-2005, 02:42 PM
D, you have to ignore the people around you. You can talk to the guys who are in the gym everyday, the ones with the cut up rock solid bodies, and they'll tell you that it doesn't matter what you are lifting, just that you are there making an effort. Everyone had to start somewhere. Arnold didn't just walk into the gym and put up 400 lbs, he had to work up to it (and take a lot of steriods).

vikingshadow
12-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, I basically stopped working out for about 2 weeks. Stress, school, paintball, family, boredom - all contributed to me not exercising. Started back up last week, but I've gained about 5 pounds back - being off everyday around candy and food and no real activity, plus Christmas and New Year's - big time problems!

I started back on my original program, and promptly found out that I've lost a LOT of endurance and strength doing those so-called "focusing" programs - the ones that focus on a specific set of muscles...

I'll get it back, though. One way or the other. Just have less time to meet my goal is all. 4 pack by March (Spring Break)!

durrell
12-28-2005, 02:43 PM
D, you have to ignore the people around you. You can talk to the guys who are in the gym everyday, the ones with the cut up rock solid bodies, and they'll tell you that it doesn't matter what you are lifting, just that you are there making an effort. Everyone had to start somewhere. Arnold didn't just walk into the gym and put up 400 lbs, he had to work up to it (and take a lot of steriods).

I know, I'm trying to get over it but it's like a phobia. But I want to start working out now so by summertime I can go to the pool and look better..:D

zus
12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Well if you want to hear about weight lose i got some stuff to tell

I am now in 10th grade and current am 6'3" weighing between 198-205
In 7th grade i was 5'10" weighing 250

Needless to say ive changed a little in the past few years

I attribute this completely to football
I started playing jv football in 8th grade and moved on to varsity 9th and 10th and started both years

The constant working out over and gaining of musle has put me and a good place now

i can now bench a clean 240 and squat close to 650

Out of doing all this i have one thing to tell anyone

RUNNING IS GOD OF WEIGHTLOSE

shunut
12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
RUNNING IS GOD OF WEIGHTLOSE

I would say running in combination with a good meal plan is best but good for you. I'm sure that not having that extra weight is nice.

Ares
12-28-2005, 03:05 PM
i actually gained 11 lbs in cross country season lol. i ve pretty much stopped weights, i should get back to that

shunut
12-28-2005, 03:12 PM
My gains for the year:

I've gained 18 lbs since January. Weight in January = 137 lbs, last night = 155 lbs.
In January I could barely bench 135 lbs, I benched 195 twice (as mentioned above).
I can grab a 10' basketball rim now, January I couldn't even tip it (I'm only 5'6" by the way).
I have more stamina.
I feel better overall.

Its amazing what dedication and hard work will do.

Live2Play
12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
I also want to start lifting but I just have this feeling when I lift at the Y that everyone is watching me so I think we might pick up a weight bench for here at home...

Durrell, I know exactly how you feel. I joined a local gym, almost a year ago, and when I first started going, I felt inferrior to everyone there, and that I was being watched too. Thing is, that eventually changed. The more I went, the more comfortable I was whenever I did go. Just like shunut said, just the fact that you go and are making an effort, nobody can blame you for that. Thing is, sometimes when your working out, you get so focused you forget about everyone around you, and just become focused on what your doing. Ever thought about bringing music? That can help keep your mind off everyone around you, so you can focus on your workout. Other than that, Good luck:up:

durrell
12-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I was considering getting myself an iPod. But I normally just go with a friend to take my mind off of it. And another thing is, the bar that is at the gym is much bigger and longer than I'm used to. I started benching over the summer and did it like once a week and went from 85 to 125 in 3 months, but at the gym I dont even think I can get 115 because the bar is so huge, so that adds to the embarassment. I'm not even out of shape, my abs just need help..everything else is good.

zus
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Most people there wont judge you tho
at every gym that ive been to people are always there to help you no matter how strong you are

if someone is looking at you funny and laughing o well they had to start sometime too

shunut
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Bar weighs 45 lbs, so you can put the weight on accordingly. Having an iPod or other form of music playing device is nice. At least until you meet and make some friends. Its a lot easier if you have a friend to go with you. My best friend and I started together at this gym and now I know just about everyone that is there at night. We've grown from our 2, to 5 or 6 and now about 15 people. We give each other tips on new exercises, supplements, spots and the all important "PUSH IT!!!!" when we need it.

durrell
12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
haha Yeah, my 3 closest friends are members at the Y so we call go when we can..so that helps quite a bit. We just cant always manage to get everyone there at once, but during the summer we should be alot better about it. I think once this next semester starts we may be able to do it more often because we all have some of the same classes at the same times so we'll be able to go together, and that will help me alot. I just need to push myself to get up early and run now..

Drefish99
12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I didn't pay much attention to the previous Support thread (Sorry Vike) I now realize it was about loosing weight and anyone that has seen me knows I need to do a lot of that. I joined a local Lifetime fitness center over the summer and I went for about a good 2 months and now have dropped out. I aim to go back after the first of the year to hit the weights again and loose a few lbs. (Hopefully). I'll report in some of my progress when I get started. Right now I have to finish my #2 from Mickey D's

shunut
12-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Haha, enjoy the Mickey D's Dre. Little bit more than just about losing weight. That was why Vike created it and why he posted but for others it was about gaining weight, muscle weight mainly. I just want everyone to know that this is for more than just weight loss, its general physical health help. I don't need to lose weight, I can do that rather easily. I have trouble gaining. So anybody who likes to workout, has helpful pointers, are stuck at a certain point or want help starting a new plan, post here and we'll try to help as much as we can.

durrell
12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm the same as you nut..I dont think at 5'7 140 I need to lost much weight..I just need to build muscle..

Drefish99
12-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Well if gaining weight is what ya want I had to do that all through HS so any tips needed let me know. Best way to do it to pack on solid muscle mass is Tuna and white rice every 2 hours.

vikingshadow
12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
The main purpose of the original support thread was for some support in losing weight, sticking to a program and following it through. Sometimes, your friends or family at work, although good intentioned, don't really help you that much. Here, we can give words of encouragement, back each up and generally let each other know what we're doing and how well we're doing...besides, why just brag over paintball accomplishments.

A few of my goals for this year are to lose an extra 20 pounds, while packing on some more muscle, get a ripped ab (at least a 4 pk by March) start running again and to get back to a 7 minute mile...

QAZ123
12-29-2005, 04:23 AM
Cool I was wondering if this thread was coming back or not!

K my story!

Last year right before summer 5'7" weighted in around 160-162 lb's with my ab's showing!

After going to the pool all summer and not the gym dropped down to 148 lb's

One thing I never do is weigh myself until somebody make's a comment on me putting on muscle. I just never do it as my weightlifting is just for my benefit and I'm not one to do it for any other reason but my health but my dad notice I was putting on muscle (finally I was getting a little discouraged) and actually weighed myself tuesday night and I was back up to 156 lbs' but my ab's are not showing hardly! That's ok though as I feel like that is just the first of my gain's......

Keep up the good work guy's and if anybody need's any help let me know! JB.

QAZ123
12-29-2005, 05:02 AM
And just for my opinion on the post's since I kinda passed most up to post first.

Durrel I wouldn't worry about anybody watching you honestly nobody has time to pay attention to what your doing while in there. Just keep that in your head and you will be fine! Everybody has to start somewhere and most people know that especially at a ymca most people will either be rushing in there to get there business done or they are there to help.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/ I have reffered people to this program before and most have got great result's from it as far as weight loss! One guy is actually in the office beside me. I gave him my copy of the book and I believe he went from being 5'11" 248 and dropped down to 200 lb's. I believe he is sitting at around 210-215 now! Vike I know your definitely set to try and lose more weight I just got the book back from my buddy if you want to check it out I'll send it to ya as long as I eventually get it back. JB.

bamf-hacker
12-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Wow... this thread is great. I am a former personal trainer and I would have loved something like this for my clients....

I need to get back into shape and I think I may use this as my motivation.

Thanks All

HacKeR

QAZ123
12-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Wow... this thread is great. I am a former personal trainer
HacKeR
I'm working on getting my ACE fitness certification right now! If I ever sit down and study the nutrition part of the test's I should be alright but it's just something I would like to do on the side though really!

JB.

shunut
12-29-2005, 05:42 AM
That Body for Life is great. I read the book that Bill Phillips wrote and it was a really good book, very helpful.

bamf-hacker
12-29-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm working on getting my ACE fitness certification right now! If I ever sit down and study the nutrition part of the test's I should be alright but it's just something I would like to do on the side though really!

JB.

I had my ACE and ACSM certs. The ACE cert was not that bad, the ACSM on the other hand... AAARRRGGGGHHHH. There was a time that I knew all 651 muscles and 206 bones....

Wow now I feel old, and out of shape.

HacKeR

QAZ123
12-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Did leg's last night. Arm's tonight. Been on track for a couple week's now and seeing result's. Taking in a ton of calories right now so I've lost all sight of my ab's but no biggie I can shed that away rather quickly like alway's. Just trying to bulk up right now! JB.

shunut
12-30-2005, 06:52 AM
Did bi's and tri's last night, probably my last workout until next year. I have a new supplement cycle I'm going to try at the beginning of next year, hopefully I should be able to put another 18-20 lbs on next year like I did this year.

Drefish99
01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
K. Diet and Excercise start tomorrow. I kinda started a little today too since the new year and all. Cut a little of my food intake and hit the water a little more. Tomorrow I plan on not hitting the coffee pot when I get into work and just filling up my water bottle. Then during lunch will go on a nice brisk walk around downtown Chicago for about half an hour. We have to see how long I can keep this up. Just weighed in at a whopping 239lbs. *Sigh. Here we go. :bawling:

vikingshadow
01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
Getting back on the wagon today....going to start exercising and eating right again. I really fell hard this time, although I only gained 5 or so pounds back. Lost a lot of tone, though. This is gonna be tough!

Dre, you and I will lose this weight together, k?

QAZ123
01-03-2006, 04:23 AM
I did chest last night. Was off all day yesterday and man it's hard to get up and go work out when you have laid around all day! I'm kinda glad I'm back to a normal work week!

Back tonight!

JB.

Drefish99
01-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Dre, you and I will lose this weight together, k?

K it's a plan.

shunut
01-03-2006, 06:06 AM
My meal planning and hardcore working out isn't going to start until next week. That way I can start my workout plan at the beginning of the week. I have a friend that stopped by my house yesterday and told me that he wants to start going to the gym. So he is going to get a membership to my gym and start lifting with me. Always nice to have another person to workout with. Tonight is volleyball so I'm going to do that and maybe a chest workout afterwards.

Xecutiv3
01-03-2006, 07:48 AM
I used to try and get as many Phys Ed classes as i could, but soon as i graduated, I did nothing, I barely leave the house, and the most exercise i do is running up and down the stairs. I havent run/exercised in over 6 months and Im breathing harder than normal running up the stairs now. Weights will do squat for you, I was doing moderate lifting but minimum running. But it helps me to work on the image before i start working on the endurance

durrell
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I rode a mile around my neighborhood tonight, it seems measley but I really did it to clear my head more than anything. I think I want to start doing it everynight though and progressing farther distances, and eventually start running. It's a start. If it wasn't 38 degrees outside I would've ridden a bit more, but the cold air made my chest hurt and my eyes water like I was crying so I stopped.

Drefish99
01-03-2006, 08:27 PM
I ate semi good today. Not my usual junk that I put in my body. Also drank more water. Temped to drink the apple juice in the fridge or maybe pop a can of the Diet Coke but I guess I'll suck on this bottled water instead.

vikingshadow
01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I didn't really cheat until just about an hour ago. Had some Goldfish crackers and 2 poptarts (1 package.) :( Didn't exercise either. I've been pretty pooped lately...I know, excuses excuses...

However, I was on my feet all day and walking around. Maybe that offset the crackers and poptarts...

I've GOT to get started on exercising again...

maximus100389
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Here's my story:

One year ago I measured in at about 5' 11" and 130 lbs. Yeah...I was a scrawny boy.

After working out for a while I got to the point where I put on about 10 lbs of weight from mostly muscle.

I got injured from soccer about 3 months ago, and I wasn't able to work out until about 3 weeks ago. I've lost a lot of weight from being sick lately and from lack of working out to keep the muscle on.

I'm so out of shape right now and indoor soccer season is just starting up, starts tomorrow.

Do you guys have any suggestions for making my workout more rewarding as far as muscle gain? I know a lot of people take suppliments, but I have no idea what ones are safe and which ones work and the cost ect...

thanks

Drefish99
01-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah eat. Honestly try eating a can of tuna and some form of carbs every 2 to 3 hours and you will pack on some weight. My carbs of choice when I was intending to pack on weight was white rice. If you don't like the taste of tuna try chicken breast. Buy a pack at the store and then Broil it in the oven with very little salt and it should last you a few days and use that to pack on some lbs. Then there is always the protien shakes you can drink to add a few more calories to your diet but those can get pretty expensive and same thing that a $.45 can of tuna can do.

maximus100389
01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I forgot to add...

I eat a lot. im not even kidding i eat more than most of the kids i know at school. I usually get two full lunches at school, and also double breakfasts.

im guessing my metabol. is just too fast.

Drefish99
01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Might want to throw in a weight gain shake in between all that eating. That might help with the added pounds.

maximus100389
01-03-2006, 09:59 PM
ok i will try that. thanks!

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Did back last night! Off night tonight! Gonna rent a movie, tear apart my Timmy to get it ready for it's extreme makeover and then crash!

JB.

03TiburonGT
01-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm trying to work my butt off to make Eagle Scout before I turn 16 and get a lot of distractions (3 W's: Wheels, Work, Women). I'm doing a merit badge called Personal Fitness right now and you have to keep a scheduele of a workout plan for 90 days and show improvement in fitness testing. I'm just getting started and it seems to be the hardest part. I think after I get into a routine it will just get done and I wont have to remind myself about it.

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Once you make out the routine and get going on it you should be fine. Just keep it in your head that it need's to be done!

JB.

Drefish99
01-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I gotta get back into an excercise routine also. I was walking during lunch over the summer but that stopped as soon as I made excuses not to do it anymore.

durrell
01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I rode a mile again tonight on the bike just for kicks..soon I may start running, haven't decided yet.

maximus100389
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
if you like soccer and have buddies who play, you can always try and join an indoor team. greatest workout you will ever have from running.

shunut
01-05-2006, 05:39 AM
I'm not back into my routine yet. I've been really tired lately and just haven't felt up to going to the gym. Unfortunately this is a bad time of the year for me with the cooler weather and all the flu that goes around, I usually end up in the hospital. However its been 4 years since I've been in the hospital and I don't plan on ending that streak anytime soon.

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Yeah this time of year suck's. I'm congested bigtime. I'm not sick at all I feel fine just congested. Last night was an off night but it's leg's tonight!

JB.

BallerX
01-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Ugh. All this activity is depressing me...

Alright, I'll toss my story into the mix, because I really do need to do something about this.

I've NEVER been thin. Not once in my life. But my weight wasn't too bad in school. But now that I've been out of high school and working, buying a home, getting married, all that jive, my weight has kind of sky-rocketed over the past few years. I used to lift with some friends, and I was always satisified with my strength, but I have nothing when it comes to cardio.

I'm 6'2" tall, and I currently weight around 280 lbs. Yeah, I play back. I think healthy for me would be way down around 200 or so pounds. Which is a LONG way off. 80 pounds worth of off. Last year over the summer, I started working out.

My dad weighed in close to what I do, and he lost better than 100 pounds, doing the Power90 program. So I thought - hey cool. I can do that too. So I bought the program, and started into it. I made it to about day 50ish and lost my will power. I wasn't seeing much in the way of weight loss, but the energy gain was great, and I could see some new definition in my arms and legs. I don't know why I gave up on it, I just did.

I wasn't seeing weight loss, because I can't diet. I suck at it. I've had a horrible diet my entire life, and I have a hell of a time changing it. I think that if I got back into the Power90 program, AND was able to pull off some dieting, then I would be able to make something of it. Problem is, I just don't have the motiviation. My wife & I recently bought a new home, so I'm trying to keep up with it as far as repairs go, and I don't get home till 6 or 7 at night. Then I'm asleep around 11, and up for work at 7 the next morning. I know I could fit in exercise if I really tried, but it's just getting that motivation.

...sorry for the book there guys. :( ...I just need to find the motivation...

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 07:54 AM
We can help with the motivation. I'm going to again suggest www.bodyforlife.com for weight loss and mental strength help. It's just a matter of doing it and keeping a routine and surrounding yourself with little thing's to remind you to get up and go workout or to make sure you eat healthy!

Also I would suggest to anybody to watch "The biggest loser". That's one show that I think could actually help people as to motivate themselves to do the same thing's they are doing! Just my opinion.

If you need help or suggestion's just ask.

JB.

BallerX
01-05-2006, 07:58 AM
What I really need is diet help/tips. I'm a chronic fast food person. It'c damn near every day for lunch, I'm out there asking for my value meal, large size, with a coke.

I can handle the exercise regiment just fine, it's keep motivated to do it, and dieting that I just can't overcome.

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Plan your meal's ahead of time throughout the week. Say sunday night lay out what your going to have for lunch each week. Try what I call "eating clean" which is basically knowing in your head what is good and bad for you. I would suggest starting off with like Healthy choice and Lean cuisine meal's with like some real fruit or vegetable to go along with them. Just watch the sugar's in some but most are ok.

Drink water. If you have drink soda make it diet and even then don't drink anymore than 2 a day!

I would also suggest meal replacement bar's like the body for life brand or another good brand is EAS which actually taste pretty good.

If by chance you forget a meal at home or just want something different you can get some decent fast food meal's.

KFC- Get a chicken meal but make sure you get the oven roasted style no extra crispy or original recipe and don't eat the skin! Get two sides of vegetables and your good to go!
Wendy's- I can't remember what's on there menu but you can get a decent meal that is somewhat healthy.
Stay away from White Castle, Burger King, Taco Bell!

Also you can go to Steakhouses and get a carry out order. Try getting a small steak with two side order's of vegetable's.

I would for the most part try to bring a healthy meal from home and snack on healthy food's when you need to. If you want to cook yourself chicken is an excellent choice. Bake your serving's sunday night along with some good vegetable's and some rice! Place each serving in tupperware for you to take to work each day!

Just keep the **"Eat clean" attitude along with your exercise routine and you should be good to go!

I'm sure some more people will post on there idea's also as I'm not the best at the weight loss part as I have the opposite problem but I have helped quite a few people out with there weight loss problem's and they have seen result's.

I didn't spell check this so sorry ahead of time!:D
JB.

vikingshadow
01-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Dieting, to me, is just a fancy word for failure. The largest percentage of people who diet end up failing than in any other attempted goal.

What we should really strive for, is an eating PLAN. Eat what you want, but in smaller proportions. Don't super size. Instead of the carton of ice cream, eat a couple of scoops. Drink tea instead of soda, or even better, water! Eat more than 3 times a day.

On top of it all, find time to exercise at least 30 minutes every day. The kind of exercise that gets your heart beating fast. This is where I'm having problems. Finding the time or the energy when I do have the time to exercise. However, even if you don't want to do it, all you have to do, I've found, is just start the day's program. After about 10 minutes, you'll find your body has taken over and it's not so bad. It's just the starting that's bad!

shunut
01-05-2006, 08:20 AM
BallerX I can understand your dilemma. In a world of convenience it is very hard to diet. Its so much easier when you are on your lunch break or just getting home from a long day of work to just get some fast food. However most of these fast food places have salads and/or light menus now. The biggest part of dieting and losing weight is eating smart. You can eat often just as long as you are watching what you are eating. Its actually recommended when you are dieting you eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals. As for exercise, the other part of losing weight, this can be done simply by walking for 45-60 minutes a day. You don't have to do hardcore, kill yourself workouts to lose weight you just need to increase you heart rate and get your muscles moving. You are going to see better results the harder you workout but you don't have to kill yourself. Give it a try. If you need help, I'm sure that with all of us on here we can give you lots of great ideas from meal plans to workout routines and we are always here to encourage and support you whenever you need it.

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
And furthermore another reason to watch the biggest loser is that gorgeous brunette personal trainer on there! I'll do conditioning training with her any day!:p

JB.

Drefish99
01-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Yeah man Biggest looser sure does motivate. I look at that once 300lb person weigh less than me and makes me think dang it if they can do it. I have to get off my butt and gogogo!!!!

BallerX
01-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Thats the freaking nail on the head the shunut. It's just so damned easy to walk into McD's or the BK Lounge ( ;) ) and get your usual.

I guess if it was easy to stay in shape there wouldn't be any fat people though, huh?

Drefish99
01-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I think the most of it is that people that go to fast food end up eating way too much. Lika ya said you go biggie on all your meals. Portion control is keay to loosing weight. That is what I am atempting to do. Not really hit a huge diet. Just watching how much I am stuffing my face with.

Also choices on activity. Instead of taking the elevator to go one flight of stairs here at work I take the stairs and also choose to go to the farther mc'ds and walk there instead of going to the one right across the street. Also now I am eating half my lunch now and eating the rest around 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon.

Then there is the water... I have drank so much water in the last few days of starting this diet that I could prob fill a kiddie pool.

shunut
01-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Dre's right. Fast foods aren't all bad, just when you go and have a Triple Whopper, Extra Large Fry and an Extra Large Coke, you are exactly going to lose any weight. However every restaurant fast food or not has health parts to their menu. Even if you aren't in to salads usually you can find a grilled chicken sandwich. If you can, cut out the fry's. Instead of pop/soda do iced tea or water and you'll be in pretty good shape. Subway, even though you get quite a few carbs from the bread, has a pretty decent light menu. It will also help if you eat more often, sounds weird but its the truth. Here is an example of how you should eat more often.

1. Breakfast: Oatmeal, Yogurt, Half a Bagel are all good. They actually say that you should have most of your carbs for the day in the morning because carbs are energy and you need to get your body going.

2. Snack #1 (between breakfast and lunch): Fruit, Vegetable or some peanuts (plain not honey roasted or anything fancy like that)

3. Lunch: Sub or Sandwich - chicken, turkey or tuna (or any other fish) are great - any condiments you want but easy on the mayo or stuff like ranch dressing

4. Snack #2 (between lunch and dinner): Some more Fruit, Vegetable or some peanuts.

5. Dinner: Again any type of chicken, fish or turkey, as long as its not fried. Brown or long grain rice, if you want potatoes try some sweet potatoes with some butter, they are actually pretty good. Some more veggies (not corn or peas, they are just carbs).

6. Snack #3: More Fruit, Vegetable or some peanuts.

For beverages try to stay away from pop or soda, whatever you call it in your neck of the woods. If you absolutely have to drink pop/soda, drink diet. If you like tea, drink that or water is also good.

Also celery is a negative calorie snack, meaning you burn more calories eating it than it has in it, so you can pretty much eat as much as you want.

Snacks I'm not too sure about I'll try to think of some more but there is a general idea of what you should try to do when you are dieting. This is actually what we suggest in the medical field and when I was working in doctor's offices we would give out a meal plan guideline very similar to this.

Drefish99
01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Also celery is a negative calorie snack, meaning you burn more calories eating it than it has in it, so you can pretty much eat as much as you want.

Just the thought of it.... mmmm yummm... :rolleyes:

durrell
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Just ran a half mile and biked a half mile..I wanted to run the whole mile, but a friend drove up and wanted to borrow some paper so I ran back to the house and got it for her and then got on the bike to finish..but I'm definitely noticing my body starting to get accustomed to it..it feels good..:cool:

Xecutiv3
01-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Diet Soda will make you gain just as much weight as regular soda, dont lie to yourselves, just go cold turkey with water as the base drink, and gatorade for running/exercising. Diet Coke is not a Diet Plan (crap now i sound like Richard Simmons)

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Probably had the most pathetic leg workout I've ever had tonight! Got there late. Stretched stretched stretched. I usually put the 45 lb bar on my back to simulate squat's to get my leg's worked out and flowing. On the second set I felt a tremendous pressure (not really pain just like.. well I dunno.. pressure) around my knee and stopped. Did some stiff legged dead lift's, some hamstring curl's and some leg extension's and left!

It was a recurring feeling that I've had before. It doesn't feel like a ligament cause I can pivot just fine and it doesn't feel like a joint problem cause it would hurt. I'm almost tempted to say it goes back to the torn cartilage in there but I dunno.

I'll just take it easy and bounce back next week and hopefully I'm good to go!

Arm's tomorrow night!

JB.

QAZ123
01-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I broke my big toe!

Now that the numbing has went down! It hurt's! :mad:

JB.

adrianm1188
01-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Anyone have a killer Home-made Weight-Gain Diet?

Im a hardgainer(not trying to make excuses) and its hard to gain weight. Damn fast metabolism!

Im getting good results though. Took a while though.

Drefish99
01-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Tuna/ Chicken breast and some form of carbs (rice) every 2 hours... Plenty of water. Drink a weight gainer shake before and after your workout.

Xecutiv3
01-08-2006, 05:49 PM
For weight gain, consume as much protein and you can, peanuts, chicken, steak, the works, when it comes to exercise, do less reps, and more weight, and you'll stock up in no time

vikingshadow
01-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Anyone have a killer Home-made Weight-Gain Diet?

Marriage! :D

I don't know of one, seriously. I never had problems gaining weight after high school (before that I was happy with the way I was - 135, so I never thought about it.)

I ran a mile (without stopping - whoo hooo!) and walked a mile Friday night. Ran a mile (without stopping again!) walked a quarter of a mile, then ran a half mile (without stopping!!!) then finished up the two miles by walking the last quarter mile on Saturday. Today, I had practice (ran a bit there) then came home, and repeated what I did Saturday, run a mile, walk a quarter, run a half, then walk a quarter...I'm impressed I was able to do that much, since I haven't seriously ran in about a year or so...

Only problem I have is what I eat for supper. Last night, 2 chili dogs and a peanut butter sundae from Braums.....Tonight - a small pan supreme pizza (not as big as you would think - but still!) Usually, that's my problem. For breakfast I have a bowl of Kashi Go Lean with skim milk extra, and for lunch I have a meal replacement shake, so my problem is definitely supper.

I've also had about 4 big glasses of tea so far tonight - and on my way for another. I'm thirsty tonight! Anywho, I plan on trying to run every evening, and on days I can't, I'll do my exercise DVD's that I was doing before. We'll see how that goes...

shunut
01-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Diet Soda will make you gain just as much weight as regular soda, dont lie to yourselves, just go cold turkey with water as the base drink, and gatorade for running/exercising. Diet Coke is not a Diet Plan (crap now i sound like Richard Simmons)

I'm not disagreeing with you but how does diet soda make you gain as much weight as regular. Diet Coke has 0 calories. I don't drink soda at all so I'm not trying to say its a good thing, I just would like a better explination.

JB, that sucks about your toe. Is it going to affect your workouts or are you going to be a tough guy and work through the pain.

Weight Gainers. If you read the hardcore stuff you should have some sort of protien shake before and after your workout. You have to be careful though and really look at the labels. Lots of the weight gainers will have lots of protien but they will also have lots of sugar. You want something with a lot of protien and low sugar. It can have carbs in it but you don't want 50 carbs and 48 g of sugar. You want complex carbs when you are gaining weight. I've tried a couple different weight gainers. I saw the best results on Muscle Tech's Mass Tech. "Up Your Mass" by MHP is pretty good. Muscle Milk is alright for the price. Just make sure you do your research and read the labels before you buy anything.

03TiburonGT
01-08-2006, 06:07 PM
if you like soccer and have buddies who play, you can always try and join an indoor team. greatest workout you will ever have from running.

Yeah I found that out! I currently run winter track and am on a workout routine. I had my first game Saturday night and it was a blast! I played 50 out of 60 minutes without being too tired. My leg muscles definetly got a workout! The team lost 5-0, but I played the best I have in a long time, it just kinda sucks that the team isn't up to par...

QAZ123
01-08-2006, 07:56 PM
JB, that sucks about your toe. Is it going to affect your workouts or are you going to be a tough guy and work through the pain.

I'm gonna be stubborn and keep working out! The only thing I see not being able to do is standing calf raises on leg night (thursday) as I balance all my weight on it. I dunno about squat's yet there might just a little too much pressure.

I haven't been to the doctor about it but yeah it's broke. I've shown it too everybody all weekend and they agree. They all told me they (doctor) can't do anything to it but do some kind of taping it to my toe next to it so I'm not worried about it just gonna keep it straight and let it do it's thing. It was fine for the most part of the weekend but now the numbing has went away and it frickin hurt's! I can sometimes feel my pulse down there!:mad:

Bahhh.. It'll buff out!;)

Chest tomorrow!
JB.

QAZ123
01-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Oh and the weight gaining thing! I'd look into a "weight gain" shake. It's not like a protein shake where protein shakes are like 90 calories a weight gain shake is like 250-300 calories of all the nutrient's you need to gain mass. I would try an EAS brand or an Optimum nutrition brand of it as I've had the best experiences with those two as far as shakes go although I've never taken a "weight gain" shake though. I'll look around tomorrow online and see if I can find something.

As far as diet drink's go. I see what your getting at but your not exactly correct. Diet drink's aren't that great for you but regular drink's have soo much sugar content it's ridiculous. At least the diet drink's don't have that amount of unnecessary sugar in them! But I will somewhat agree as even I when wanting to cut down to show my ab's I have to give up even the diet drink's. Don't know what's in them that does that but must be something. I might look into that sometime either that or you can tell us:o

JB.

shunut
01-08-2006, 08:03 PM
True dat. There is nothing they do for broken toes, unless it is grossly disformed. You buddy tape them and try to stay off of it. So, I would take it easy on the leg routine if I were you.

03TiburonGT
01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
yeah so I found a downside to my indoor soccer game. I have two HUGE blisters on the bottom of my feet. They're right where most people have callusses (calli?) on the insole of the "balls of your feet". So they can't really be popped because of the thick skin, but they hurt real bad now. Its all good though because they look so BA, haha. Track should be a fun time with huge blisters...

Xecutiv3
01-08-2006, 08:24 PM
From what i heard, carbs are broken down into the body and processed as sugars, if your body doesnt burn the sugars, they will turn into fat (or something along the lines) I dont know all the science behind it, but diet drinks will not help you loose weight, in fact, people who stopped drinking sodas altogether began to notice weight lose.

QAZ123
01-08-2006, 08:27 PM
So, I would take it easy on the leg routine if I were you.
:(

shunut
01-09-2006, 04:34 AM
I didn't say stop, just take it easy.

Tonight will start my hardcore training again. So pretty much I'll do one muscle group a night, almost one muscle group. I'll say one muscle area.

Mondays - Chest
Tuesdays - Back
Wednesdays - Legs
Thursdays - Arms
Fridays - Shoulders and Traps

QAZ123
01-09-2006, 04:41 AM
Chest tonight. Yeah I'm gonna take it easy as it's gotta be up to par in a few week's as my pump tournies start early. First one is in St. Louis on the 18th of Feb! Gotta be back on track by then which I'm sure I will!

JB.

vikingshadow
01-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Well, grrrrrrrr....I ended up going home sick today, so I won't be going for my run or exercising. Figures.

shunut
01-09-2006, 08:48 AM
That stinks vike.

Xecutiv3, what I'm saying is that Diet Coke has no calories, which means there are no carbs. Which means there isn't anything to turn into fat. You are right about the carbs. Sugars equal carbs. The body uses carbs as energy and the body takes the excess sugars and converts them into fat and stores it for use later. However not all carbs are sugars. Complex carbs like grains aren't sugar and if you eat the right ones they are actually good for a diet. This no carb diet like Atkins is one of the worst diets in the world. The have changed it but before when it said absolutely no carbs it was horrible. Sure you lost weight but you weren't losing much fat weigh, unless you were exercising. Most people did that diet, however, because they could lose weight and not exercise. Lots of people were killing their kidney's on that diet and the weight they were losing was muscle weight. As soon as you stopped the diet, it all came back. My dad was on it, lost 60 pounds, looked great, stopped the diet, gained it all back. The only proven method of losing weight is a smart, well balanced diet and regular exercise. Okay, there's my rant about the "No Carb" diet.

QAZ123
01-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Did chest last night! Great night it was a good workout!

Back tonight!

JB.

QAZ123
01-10-2006, 06:21 AM
The only thing I can find out about diet drink's being "bad" is that the apartame in it can possible turn into sugar or something like that! I'll look into it a little more when I get time!

JB.

BallerX
01-10-2006, 06:41 AM
How about the amount of sodium in those things??? A bit high if you ask me...

Water is your safest bet though. Nothing to worry about there.

QAZ123
01-10-2006, 06:46 AM
How about the amount of sodium in those things??? A bit high if you ask me...

Water is your safest bet though. Nothing to worry about there.

40mg. 2% of you daily intake. I don't drink anymore than 2 a day so it's not tooo bad!

Water is the bomb diggity but I gotta have something carbonated with my biggest meal's. Well I don't have to but I want to!;)

JB.

BallerX
01-10-2006, 07:27 AM
For some reason I was thinking it was much higher than that... goes to show how long it's been since i had a diet soda!

shunut
01-10-2006, 07:36 AM
The only thing I have drank since New Years Eve is water and milk, so the diet soda thing isn't a big deal. I was just searching for knowledge, when somebody says something I don't know about I want to know it, so I ask. I'm not sure about that aspartame turning into sugar thing. I know that they say that aspartame can cause cancer, at least they did a long time ago, but then again what doesn't cause cancer these days. I'll look around and see what I can find out about. JB if you find anything more about it please keep me informed.

As for exercise I did chest last night. Wow I felt week. On flat bench I could only get 185 up 5 times by myself and on my second set of 185 I only got it up 3 times by myself. I was going to try to push and do 205 last night, just to say I could do 200 but I decided not to after my first set of 185. I'll get there though. I think for somebody who is 5'6" 155 lbs benching 185 lbs 5 times without a spot is pretty good. Tonight is volleyball and back.

QAZ123
01-10-2006, 07:41 AM
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/aspartame.html There's one link about apartame! Kinda makes you think but I dunno I'm sure there's other thing's in food's that can do just as much damage!

185 at 5'6" for rep's isn't bad at all shunut! Heck my set's I do 150 but most the time I do 3 set's of flat, 3 set of incline and 3 set's of decline and sometimes military press.

I'm gonna look into the aspartame thing a little more I don't like relying on just one article!

JB.

Xecutiv3
01-10-2006, 07:52 AM
I asked my mom so i could get the facts straight on diet cola (she's a diabetic). Diet soft drinks have to be sweetened somehow, correct? The sweeteners go through your body like regular sugar, but since its not named "Sugar" they dont have to list the amount in the drinks. Splenda is not some miracle of science, its just plain sugar, and your body treats it like it is. And the sodium is kinda high <picks up a 2 liter Ginger Ale bottle> 16% of your daily sodium if you drink the whole thing. I'm not saying thats a heart-attack in a bottle, but thats pretty bad.

shunut
01-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Not too sure about that Xecutiv3. The ADA says that aspertame and spenda are okay. I'm diabetic myself and I use to drink diet coke all the time and never had a high blood sugar because of it.

Xecutiv3
01-10-2006, 08:17 AM
"Bu..bu..but Momma said..."
To end the arguement, sodas=bad, gatorade>h2o (during exercise), h2o>all (for everything else)

shunut
01-10-2006, 08:50 AM
No, no I wasn't trying to argue at all. I am a knowlege junkie, I like to know all and when somebody says something to contradict what I already know I want to know where their knowledge came from and read about it. Thats cool, I agree with your chart of what is better to drink. I drink almost solely water, once in a while when I'm playing volleyball, basketball or paintball I'll drink and I usually have a glass or two of milk a day.

Xecutiv3
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I know, its all good
Can't wait til i can get my bowflex up and together, its gonna be nice, they advertise 20 mins 3 times a week for 6 weeks, <pulls out a calculator> If i do 3 hours a day 6 times a weeks.... I'll be done on the second day =P

QAZ123
01-11-2006, 04:26 AM
Almost almooost didn't do back last night. I got my new frame in for my Ironmen timmy and did not want to leave the house and just go ahead and put it together! Then I decided that my priority was to go workout and I had a great workout!

Actually I ran out of microline and couldnt' do anything else till I got some!:cool:

Off night tonight! Gonna go get my microline tonight!

JB.

shunut
01-11-2006, 04:56 AM
Did back last night as well. Tonight I'd like to do shoulders and traps but we'll see. I think I might be getting sick. Last night at the gym the littlest things would make it hard to breath for me. I've been doing all my breathing treatments more often but they don't seem to be working as well as they usually do. I'm going out to see my doctor to day for some lung function tests so we'll see what they say. They'll probably want me to do a chest x-ray too, been a while since I've had one. It has been over 4 years since I've been in the hospital but I'm afraid that I'm not going to make it 5. They will probably want me to go in for a "clean out" to get me back on course.

Edited:

I just got back from the doctor. Lung function tests were the same as last time I was there so everything seems to be okay for now. My doctor said that I'm probably having problems because of the cold, dry weather and the high pollution level right now. Hopefully we can get some storms in here and clean the air up so I can get better. For now hospitalization has been avoided as long as I don't start running a fever.

QAZ123
01-12-2006, 04:31 AM
Glad to hear your ok Shunut!

Gonna do leg's tonight but I guess I'm gonna take it easy as my toe is just flat out rocked and it's almost been a week! I don't know if I'll even do anything really havent' decided yet.

JB.

shunut
01-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Thanks JB. I didn't go to the gym last night, I was kind of tired from all the running around I did yesterday. I'll be back in there tonight probably going to do Bi's and Tri's, then do shoulders and traps tomorrow. Good luck with that leg work out JB, if you decide to try it out.

vikingshadow
01-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Way to go guys! And good news Shunut! Keep up the good hard work.

Well, after two days of being off (running, exercising) I went for a run last night - 1 and a half miles jogging, half mile walking. For the first time, I saw a little bit of a drop and the wife said I looked a bit slimmer this morning. (Could be a ploy as she wants something...)

Running again tonight, if I can get off work in time. Gotta go to a "Love and Logic" parenting seminar tonight our school is putting on for the public (at 6:30 of all times - so it's going to be LOOOONNNNGGGGG... Blechhhh!)

chubb0rz
01-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Nice work guys. Thats some good news shunut.

Well I didnt think I'd take this long to get back here but I kinda dropped off in my exercise and watching what I ate :(

Yesterday I got tired of doing my same routine and sitting on my computer. So I ate a light dinner and did a small work out to gauge just how weak I am from lack of exercise. It was bad, only did 3 sets of 10 pushups and 3 sets of 20 situps and that was enough. I had decided to go for a run to and was only going to go for about 30mins. I run on a track that goes around an airport close to my house. Once I got there I couldnt resist going the full 5miles. Granted I ran about 1/2 of it and alternated walking/jogging on the rest.

Well it was bad at first but I felt better after my run since I wasnt winded, it was just my legs werent used to longs I used to do. Felt good once I got home and showered. I was hungry but had self control and managed to find some ranch dressing and carrots in the fridge :p

Woke up and my legs are sore as heck but it feels so good. Defiently felt alot more energized and awake than normal. Now to just stay on top of things :)

shunut
01-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Welcome back Chubz. I was wondering where you've been. Jogging takes a lot of will power so good for you. I tired doing it regularly once and that lasted about a week.

QAZ123
01-13-2006, 04:40 AM
I did not work my leg's last night and it wasn't even about the toe. Got home laid down for a "quick" nap and woke up about 31/2 hour's later! Just been going and going all week I guess it caught up to me! Last week I had a pathetic workout and this week no leg workout even though I might do double duty tonight since I don't plan on doing a darn thing this weekend and can allow myself to heal but dunno yet.

Arm's (and maybe leg's) tonight.
Either that or leg's tonight and I'll just do arm's saturday morning!

JB.

shunut
01-13-2006, 05:03 AM
I know how you feel JB, I've been exhausted lately. I went to the gym last night and played a little volleyball but didn't get to workout at all because I was having some trouble breathing. So, I had to go home and take my meds so I could breath. I hope I can get over this soon so I can get back to my normal routine. I think I'm going to take it very easy this weekend. A friend of mine wants to go out because another friend is coming in from Vegas but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass so I can rest.

vikingshadow
01-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Must be winter, because I did the same thing. Just came home and veg'd...ate chicken breast and rice and watched my eating, so I didn't pay for it today!

Maybe I'll feel better and have the energy (and if the weather will cooperate) so I can exercise.

QAZ123
01-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Hope you get better soon shunut. I myself am congested like crazy which my be my problem. This crazy weather from going to 25 degree's to 60 degree's messes with my system!

Did anybody watch MTV's True Life I'm on steroid's episode? Pretty crazy what people will do just to look good!

The MMA fighter on the episode I have no respect for at all and I hope he get's blackballed by every organization in the country after they see the show! I hope his opponent see's the show and files an injunction on him and get's that win taken off his record and get's fined!:mad: Sad thing is you see it in amateur show's also! The last show I went to that my buddy was fighting in and I cornered him some of the guy's in the back were just too pumped! You should be getting warmed up not using energy up like they were! Not cool in my book!

The gay guy I think just wanted more attention to himself as most people wouldn't be like "look at me I'm on steroid's" but I dunno I've never been in there shoes so I can't say much.

The fitness model I dunno I don't really have a problem with him at least he was being watched by a "professional"! It's the magazine and industry that I have a problem with not necessarily promoting that look but making guy's have to resort to that to get a pictorial.

The guy that killed himself well yeah it can happen........

Just my thought's. If you havent's seen it might want to check it out as it was pretty interesting.

JB.

QAZ123
01-16-2006, 06:47 AM
I didn't work out thursday or friday. Thursday I dropped like a rock and friday I was just in a bad mood cause of my toe and said screw it and just went and watched movies at a friend's house instead. I didn't do a darn thing all weekend. Saturday I was trying to test my toe to see if it was ok but I can't do much with it but move it up and down I can't budge the last joint hardly. Was gonna play paintball sunday but decided against it cause of the toe which really suck's cause I got my first pump tourney Feb 18th and I need to get back into the flow of playing beforehand cause it's looking like I'm gonna be just going to jump on a team of guy's I've never met before instead of my teammates out of Nashville which mean's I gotta step up and go the distance a little more than usual!

I'm lifting no matter what this week and playing no matter what sunday!:cool:

Chest tonight!

JB.

shunut
01-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Sucks about you're toe, but guess you are just going to have to give it more time and hope its ready by Feb. As for me, I started running a fever Friday night so I haven't been to the gym since Thursday. I haven't had a fever since Saturday night so antibiotics my doc gave me are working but still coughing some. I'm going to try to get into the gym and do chest tonight but if I'm couging too much its going to be hard. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

QAZ123
01-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Had a great chest workout monday night. Last night I couldnt' make it to work out cause it started snowing and got slick! I guess I'm gonna use the company fitness room tonight to do my back routine from last night even though they don't have the right equipment but I think I can make do!

JB.

shunut
01-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Still sick, think I'm getting better though. Yesterday I felt worse than I have since I started getting sick. Today though seems better. I think just to be on the safe side and not over do things I'm just going to take the week off from the gym. Hopefully next monday I can get back into it.

QAZ123
01-27-2006, 07:17 AM
and actually weighed myself tuesday night and I was back up to 156 lbs' but my ab's are not showing hardly!
That quote was from Dec 29th. I did a quick Betagen cycle and I'm up to 159 with a 4 pack! Leg's need worked though badly but I did them last night and had a decent workout!

My goal is to be in the mid/high 160's with the abs showing by june/july!

Arm's tonight

JB.

shunut
01-27-2006, 07:46 AM
I think I'm finally going to be able to get back in the gym Monday. I'm still not 100% but I'm getting there. I'm really hoping that getting back in the gym will help speed the recovery along because usually the more active I am the healthier I am. We'll see what happens. I know that I'm going to feel so weak when I get back in there because I haven't lifted a weight in 2-3 weeks. The good news though is when I went to my doctor Wednesday I hadn't lost any weight. I'm hoping by my birthday in August I can be up near 170. I'm at 155 so thats 15 pound in about 6-7 months. Should be a feat but it will be fun trying.

paintmaster
01-27-2006, 08:13 AM
hey guys i juast looked at this thread today and it looks pretty cool. Well um im pretty fat and i dont have a gym by me that i can go to im only 12 so yeah i want to lose weight to play paintball and be in some more sports i wiegh about 150 pounds and im only 12 thats pretty fat and im short to like 4'9 so yeah im a fat little kid i was just wonderign how i can slim down i dont want to go on a diet or anything i mean like can i run around the block every morning or what just give some stuff i can do im sick of kids making fun of me for being fat.

vikingshadow
01-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, I'm starting back on the plan today. I worked all week to get rid of whatever junk we had in the house, and psyched myself up to get back on the horse. My wife is "supposed" to start with me, but we'll see about that.

I think if I just get moving, I'll be fine. With long hours and short daylight, I've kinda burned myself out. I bought some new dumbells and it's been getting warmer so I can start running again...

QAZ123
01-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Being 4'9" and 12 I'd say just get active! Go out running, ride a bike, get yourself involved in activites and you will shed that weight away! When you play paintball play aggressive run to the 40/50 everytime if your playing wood's run run run to every bunker you use!

At your age just get active and you will be fine!

Eating healthy help's too but I don't know how to give advice to a 12 year old on dieting sorry!

JB.

paintmaster
01-27-2006, 08:20 AM
yeah i know not dieting just like how to get active i mean im playign paintball and baseball but like im not seeing a difference and hell no will i every get on a diet.

QAZ123
01-27-2006, 08:22 AM
I'd pick up another sport just to keep you active all the time! Go join a martial art's school or something like that! Baseball is a great sport but it's not one that's gonna get you lean!

JB.

paintmaster
01-27-2006, 08:25 AM
well im never leaving baseball so thats out of the question but im probaly starting pop warner football that will be fun.

shunut
01-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Get on the bike, thats an excellent way to exercise. Go on bike rides everyday. Anything that will increase you're heart rate will help. Your weight isn't going to come off all at once so you are going to have to be patient and dedicated. Like JB said continue your baseball but pick something else up. Martial arts, basketball, football, soccer, anything that is going require you to move around a lot and get your heart going. At your age you don't want to be doing any weight training, this could damage muscle tissue, tendons, ligaments and bone structure which you will pay for later in life. Also because you are so young you don't really want to "Diet". You need all the calories you take because you are growing still. I suggest you just watch what you eat and make good choices. Cut down on the sugar intake, like soda and candy, and increase your vegetable and fruit intake. At school if they don't have a healthy choice for the lunch, make your own and bring it everyday. I know that might not seem "cool" and some kids might tease you but you are trying to better yourself so who cares what they say.

paintmaster
01-27-2006, 08:53 AM
thanks shunut that helped ill stay away form the sweets and stuff and try to eat a little healtheir and most importantly get alot of exerscise. At how old should i start liftign weights.

shunut
01-27-2006, 09:02 AM
You really shouldn't start lifting weights until you are 18, at least thats what most journals and trainers will tell you. You can dabble in it a little before then but nothing extreme and I would wait at least until you are in high school and start going through puberty.

paintmaster
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
hahah lol:lolsign: oh yeah and i ahvent been through puberty either yet i forget to metion that.

QAZ123
02-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Haven't been too consistant but been working out every week and am walking around at 160.

In a couple week's I'm gonna be starting to take Jiu-Jitsu classes and I'm not sure how that will affect my weight lifting routine but it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile now which it will keep me in better shape than weightlifting but I plan on doing both!

Sick right now so dang congested might skip leg's tonight but I really don't want to!

JB.

FredPo
02-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Just make sure you do your weight training for your mixed martial arts training. Always do weight before anything cardio. Best of luck JB.

Fred

QAZ123
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Just make sure you do your weight training for your mixed martial arts training. Always do weight before anything cardio. Best of luck JB.

Fred

Yeah I've got it worked out a good routine. We have a full fledge(sp) gym at work now and once they get rid of this crap bench and get a good one which they are doing I'll be able to get off work go right in there and lift then have plenty of time to go eat before I have to head to the other gym to my Jiu-Jitsu classes as I'm going to them as often as I can! I can't wait lol!

I haven't boxed/sparred/grappled in month's and I think it's driving me nut's cause it was a great way to let loose!

JB.

vikingshadow
02-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Always do weight before anything cardio.

I've heeded this advice for years, until a couple weeks ago. Trust me, there's a reason for it! I could hardly lift the weights - it was actually embarassing.....

FredPo
02-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I've heeded this advice for years, until a couple weeks ago. Trust me, there's a reason for it! I could hardly lift the weights - it was actually embarassing.....
Yeah, trying to lift weights after a cardio session is almost useless. Your body can't be trying to repair itself before you even start your weight training. Weight training, then some cardio and you'll be a healthy and strong fella or lady :). Let me know guys if anyone needs some weight lifting routine, I've got about 4 years of solid weight training experience and I'm always ready to help someone out.

Fred

QAZ123
02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Let me know guys if anyone needs some weight lifting routine, I've got about 4 years of solid weight training experience and I'm always ready to help someone out.

Fred
I was wondering if you were ever going to chime in on this topic as I never saw you in the KUSA thread either! I just figured you were stuck up lol!;)

JB.:D

MatthewTheTheif
02-09-2006, 12:08 PM
ok, i absolutely despise water, hate it with a passion, so i could never do anything without drinking a soda or something bad like that afterwards, but since i started working at target, ive found that flavored water is sooo much easier, my biggest gripe about water was the taste (bland, sickening after a while), but this stuff is great

if you dont like water, try some of this stuff, its amazing

shunut
02-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm on the slow road to recovery. I have about 10 days of at home IV therapy left. Then I'll finally be able to get back in the gym. Its been about 4 weeks now since I've been able to go. I know I'm going to be so weak when I get back its not even funny. I'm going to do 2 weeks of light stuff to condition myself and to get my muscles active again, then I'm going start a big time supplement cycle and push hard weights. So I'm looking forward to getting back into the gym because I miss it and it will make me feel better. However I'm dreading it because I know I've lost a lot.

lewizz124
02-09-2006, 07:57 PM
well im not too sure if this goes in here but im trying to build up leg strength and get alot fast at running. only thing is.. i dunno i just dont get fast like no matter what. im not sure what to do.

shunut
02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
It takes a lot to get faster. It won't happen overnight. What exactly are you doing now to achieve your goal?

lewizz124
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
workin the legs with the weight machine and running.

FredPo
02-10-2006, 04:01 AM
I was wondering if you were ever going to chime in on this topic as I never saw you in the KUSA thread either! I just figured you were stuck up lol!;)

JB.:D
actually, I never looked in this thread before until I just posted a few days ago. I was like "well, this is what this thread was about, and I got all excited cause it deals with weightlifting :) I'm far from stuck up lol.

Fred

shunut
02-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are aware, it takes a long time to really strength muscles enough to notice a big difference. Only suggestions I can make is keep going and make sure you are switching up your routine regularly. Thats really the only thing you can do. You are probably getting faster and your legs are getting stronger but because its slow it will be very hard to notice.

Another idea is you can try those Strength Shoes. I have a pair that I bought a long time ago to help me with my vertical and they worked for that. They also claim to work on increasing your speed.

Strength Shoes (http://www.strength-systems.com/features/product_shoes_sizing.php?content=18888964973)

vikingshadow
02-10-2006, 04:22 AM
actually, I never looked in this thread before until I just posted a few days ago. I was like "well, this is what this thread was about, and I got all excited cause it deals with weightlifting :) I'm far from stuck up lol.

Fred

This thread really has blossomed. I started it up in the old forum because I was trying to lose weight and needed the backup, and it's become a total fitness thread....Pretty cool!

The more people we can get involved, the better it becomes. Thanks for the thread support fellers! Keep em coming - oh, and I'm going to be TRYING to jump back on the wagon again - failed my New Year's Resolution a LOT this year....pretty stressed right now, so it makes it doubly hard to do....wish me luck!

FredPo
02-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Guys, I want to emphasize the use of protein into your workout routine. When you weight train, you are tearing down the muscle fibers. Literally. In order to build these muscles back up, you need amino acids. Where do these come from you ask? Protein. Protein is polymers (or chains) of amino acids that rebuld muscle tissue. Right after your workout, you've got about 90 minutes to replenish your body with this much needed amino acids and a whey protein is the quickest way to get this. For your bodyweight, you need about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. So, if you weight 150 lbs, you need 150-225 grams of protein a day. This isn't easy to achieve unless you can afford bags and bags of chicken breast (most ppl can't, I know I can't) so whey protein is the best way to supplement your diet. Look, go to www.bulknutrition.com. There's a 10 lb. bag of protein made by optimum Nutrition that only costs $47. This will last you a long time if you use is appropriately. I can't emphasize this enough. Working out and trying to gain size/strength is pointless w/o an appropriate diet. Start eating your egg whites, tuna, red meats, turkey, ect and watch your body grow.

Fred

QAZ123
02-10-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm at home in bed sick as can be! Tick's me off it just hit me yesterday!

Yeah that optimum nutrition protein is good it taste great and blend's well!

JB.

shunut
02-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Get better soon JB. If you want you can come over and share all the drugs they have me on, there are plenty to go around.

QAZ123
02-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Neato (not really)I lost 5 lb's in 4 day's from the stomach flu! Gonna chill the rest of this week just so I don't bounce back and get sick again then start up again next week. We got more equipment for the company gym but I'm still not happy with it but I'm going to use it on various day's. I get an hour for lunch which is not needed and I think I'm going to start doing some crazy ab workout's each day during it as there is good equipment for that kind of stuff.

Taking it easy this week though.

JB.

shunut
02-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Good idea to take it easy JB. The stuff that is going around right now is bad, especially RSV. I was watching the news the other night and they say this might be the worst RSV season ever. My doctors think that I might have had that and was a major contributer to why I got so sick. Its a virus though so there really isn't much you can do for it. Drink lots of water, get lots of rest, and make sure you are taking vitamins, especially vitamin C. Also Echinacea seems to be helping a lot with all the viruses that are going around.

I'm doing better, having little bumps here and there but I guess thats to be expected. I think my IV therapy will be completed Saturday, but we will see when we get there. I've been having trouble with my bloodsugars and edema in my legs (edema is retaining fluid which makes your legs or other extermites swell). Both problems were because of a interaction with two of my drugs, my diabetes medication, Avandia, and one of the IV antibiotics. I had to stop the Avandia and now I'm solely on insulin. I've almost got my doses regulated so my bloodsugars are staying inbetween 70-140, but I'm still having a high result once in a while. As for the swelling in my legs its down but still not gone. We did bloodwork to check all my meds levels and kidney functions and everything was okay so I guess I'm just going to have to tough it out until the meds are done. I can't wait until they are finished so I can get back into my routine and be active again.

marvin-martian
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
i havnt read this whole thread, but i want to gain some weight. im 16, 5'8? and 115. im really skinny and boney. ive only recently started thinking about doing something about it, but i dont know what. i want to start running because im kind of out of shape, but thought that would lose weight above my waist and add muscle to my legs. what do you think i should do?

vikingshadow
02-15-2006, 05:10 PM
You might gain muscle in your leg for awhile. And after awhile, you might trim up around the middle. Add some weight lifting in the routine, and you'll probably be happy with the results.

Dang it, QAZ...I think you passed me your problems...I've been planning to start up again for awhile, but due to stress from the job, national board apps, state mandated testing (starts next week) and everything else that's happened lately, I just haven't been able to make the time. So I said, "This week!" And immediately got ill.....

marvin-martian
02-15-2006, 05:15 PM
im not really looking for lifting weights. do you think i can do push/sit.pull-ups and get the same results? are there any other (dont know what to call it) free body work-outs that i dont know about?

QAZ123
02-15-2006, 05:23 PM
And immediately got ill.....
Yep that's how it goes lol. Hopefully I'll be back up to par next week!

Marvin if you want to put on muscle I would definitely incorporate weightlifting and taking in calories as it's really the only way to go!

Check out www.bodybuilding.com for a bunch of idea's to at about it.

JB.

marvin-martian
02-15-2006, 05:27 PM
i dont really want to be muscular. all i want is to gain some weight and get more fit. doesnt weight-lifting add bulk?

FredPo
02-15-2006, 05:42 PM
im not really looking for lifting weights. do you think i can do push/sit.pull-ups and get the same results? are there any other (dont know what to call it) free body work-outs that i dont know about?
Actually, building minimal muscle is very possible with just bodyweight style lifts. Push ups are actually a great workout for the chest. Also, you may want to think about buying a "dip machine", one that allows you to do bodyweight dips and one that also has a pull up bar. I still do bodyweight pull ups as I think it's the most beneficial workout for my lats.

Fred

shunut
02-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Increasing you daily caloric intake will help too. So besides what you normally eat I'd pick up some protien/weightgainer. In the hospital we gave patients stuff like ensure or boost on top of their regular meals, to help them gain weight.

marvin-martian
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
so all-in-all i should eat more, run and do body weight exercises?

phatphil
02-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm 5'8" 140lbs right now, and trying to get to about 120-125, I can't really explain it by I "feel chubby", no one else really seems to think so but me, but I'm really self-conscious about it. I want to be skinny. A few months ago I had abs showing at least, but now I can't even see them and I'm getting kind of lazy.

Besides cutting calories and some cardio what do you recommend? I have a really hard time sticking to a regular meal & exercise plan, not sure why. I eat pretty good now, I almost never drink pop (once a month or less) and try to stay away from the unhealthy foods, but ya know... On the subject of diet I pretty much have full control of my meals, with the exception of lunch, school lunch is well... disgusting, and the a la carte stuff isn't really the healthiest. Packing a lunch to take isn't much of an option, so am I better off staying away from the food there for lunch and eating when I get home instead? (My lunch period is 11:30-12:00 and I get home at about 2:30).

What kind of cardio is recommended - Running, Sprinting, Jogging, is there one that is specifically better? And is there something I can do inside? It's almost Spring, but I HATE the cold weather with a passion and would much rather do something inside. I understand running would burn more calories than walking but you also can't run as far or as long as you can walk.

Lastly, I was looking in to light weight training down the road. I'd rather lose some fat now before I worry about building muscle though.

shunut
02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I think it will be really unhealthy for you to lose anymore weight. At 140 I think you are a little under weight for your size. If you want the appearance of being skinner then you'll have to start lifting weight to gain muscle size and do cardio to lose any fat. From a medical stand point in no way would I recommend you going down to 120-125 lbs. I'm 5'6" I weigh 152 lbs and I'm skinny. Thats 2" shorter and 12 lbs heavier than you are. You need to put on muscle for the weight and lose the fat to have the appearance that you are "skinny".

QAZ123
02-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Dang I'm 5'7" 160 and I feel skinny sometime's lol I'd say 5'8" 140 is healthy but I wouldn't cut down to 120-125. I wouldn't drop weight but I think I know what your going through. My whole teenage year's I was showing ab's and when I hit about 20 I started to get a rounded off stomach and did not like the idea of getting that at all whatsoever.

I say lift weight's and put on a little more muscle then cut back down.

JB.

phatphil
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
One of my close friends is a wrestler same height as me and wrestles at 119, doesn't help :(. How about 130 or 135 and then start the weights? I am really big boned also, so that might be part of it, the thickness of my ribcage (front to back) is only a tad smaller than my brother who is an inch taller than me and 90-100 pounds heavier than me.

FredPo
02-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Phil, I think you should start a high protein (around 200 grams a day) diet and just cut out pop, fast food, and junk food. You guys will be amazed at what cutting these out of your diet does to your appearance. And phil, if you are interested in high rep weight training, I'd advise doing about 6-10 sets per bodypart and do around 12-15 reps. You'll build a bit of muscle plus cut down on the fat. As for cardio, you might want to invest in a tredmill. I usually do about 10 minutes of cardio after an hour of intense weight training just to keep the ole heart in check. May consider that since you hate the outdoors.

Fred

phatphil
02-16-2006, 03:05 PM
That sounds good, right now I have pretty much no pop, fast food, or junk food anyway :). Weight training seems to be something to look into. I would love to have a treadmill, I've been trying to get my mom to get one for a couple months. I like the outdoors in the spring & fall, and love it in the summer, it's just this cold, rainy, snowy, winter weather that I can't stand. That seems like a really high amount of protein, I'm assuming you'd have to use shakes or supplements to get that much in one day, correct? What kind of Carb/Fat/Protein ratio do you think I should aim for?

shunut
02-18-2006, 04:21 AM
That is a lot of protein, if you aren't weight training, but if you are you're body will use it. As for the ratio of carbs/fat/protein, I'm not sure about that, Fred will have to answer that one. You will however have to do some protein supplements to achieve that amount of protein in your diet. A 6oz New York Strip Steak has 50g of protein (I used NY Strip because its my favorite), 5 oz of Broiled Chicken Breast has 43g of protein and 5.5 oz of Broiled Salmon has 39 g of protein. So you see to achieve 200g of protein you'd have to eat a lot, so it would be much easier to have a supplement shake to help meet your needs. Plus most weight gainers have more than just protein in them to help you gain weight.

I found this website that you can use to look up Nutritional Facts (http://www.nutritiondata.com/) on anything. You can also use it to compare foods, check nutritional facts on restaurants and fast foods and it even has a tool that lets you track you daily consumption. I thought it was pretty cool.

Good news for me though. My last IV treatment is at 10:00pm tonight. My nurse called yesterday afternoon and said that they had spoke with the doctor and got the orders to DC my PICC line. He said that Sunday is his day off and he had me down on his schedule for Monday but he is going to stop by my house on his way home from church on Sunday and take this baby out. I'm so excited, finally I'll be able to get back into the gym. I know its going to be tough when I get back and I'm not going to have the strength or stamina that I had before I got sick but it will all come back slowly.

phatphil
02-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info, I love ND I've had that site bookmarked too :), as well as FitDay (http://fitday.com/). Glad to hear the good news that you can get back in the gym.

shunut
02-19-2006, 09:21 AM
YOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got my PICC line out. Kind of feels weird because I've had it in for 3 weeks. So tomorrow I will be returning to the gym. It going to be slow going but at least I'm going to get back into, finally. I usually don't do much in the way of extra cardio, like the treadmill or bike, but I'm going to do some to start building my stamina up. Usually the only cardio I do is volleyball or basketball.

QAZ123
02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Good luck going back shunut.

I'm starting back up also after my sickness. Going to go through a routine this week and starting next week start another 5-6 week betagen cycle as I got great result's the last time I used it. My plan is to do two cycles by summer and then cut down a little bit more and I should be right where I wanna be.

Just looked in my cupboard and I have 7 boxes of rice! How that happened I'm not sure. Must have been buying extra when they were on sale for .99 a box lol!

JB.

shunut
02-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Wow, just wow. I went back to the gym today. The first time in almost 2 months, well more like 6 weeks. I decide that I was going to take it easy to a couple exercises on the free weights and then do some cardio. Man am I weak. It is so discouraging, 2 months ago, before New Years, before I got sick I benched 205 twice. I was struggling with 115 tonight. Almost makes me say forget it but I must persevere. I got to keep going and keep pushing otherwise I will never be able to anything that I love again. Like paintballing, volleyball, basketball, you get the idea. I can't believe how much I lost though. I took me a full year, of non-stop, hardcore, dedicated lifting to get to where I was. 6 weeks and I'm at the beginning again. Man this sucks, no other way to put it.

So my plan now is do 2 weeks of conditioning, light weights, higher rep counts and at least 15-20 minutes of cardio a day. I know 15-20 minutes doesn't sound like very much but for somebody with 70-75% of normal lung function, its pretty good. Hopefully that will go back up with me being back in the gym. After the 2 weeks is up, I plan on really pushing myself. Heavier weights and less reps. Also after the 2 weeks of conditioning I'm going to start a heavy duty supplement cycle. It will consist of creatine and weight gainer, and probably some other stuff but I'm not 100% sure maybe some nitro supplements.

Speaking of supplements Fred, what weight gainers do you suggest? I've done Mass Tech, Myo Plex and Muscle Milk in the past. A couple of my friends suggest MHP's Up You Mass. What do you think?

vikingshadow
02-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Keep with it Shunut. I started back up again after a multi month leave of absense, and am pretty disappointed in myself as well. (I started Sunday...) I'm back to doing the beginner's stuff and barely at that!

I actually have GAINED 5 pounds since Saturday - hopefully it's muscle and will soon be dropping off quickly - but this is the problem I have all the time. I lose a lot, then get off a program, then when I start it again, I start gaining weight...pretty hard psychologically. Oh, well. If I can just get back in the habit, I'll be fine!

shunut
02-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Well Vike you've dropped the weight before so I have no doubt that you'll be able to do it again. Thanks for the support by the way. I'm down to 149 lbs as of yesterday. Thats is down from 152 lbs on Sunday. Yeah 3 lbs in 1 day. This is because the IV antibiotics I was on was making me retain lots of fluid. Now that I'm done I'm starting to lose all that water weight. At one during this IV course I was up to 156 lbs, that was a couple days after I got out of the hospital. I'm guessing I'll lose another 2 lbs before I level off. Going back to the gym tonight, its Volleyball night, going to give that a go and see what happens.

QAZ123
02-21-2006, 04:35 AM
Keep with it shunut and vike it's just mind over matter as long as your mind is there nothing else matter's!(that may have came off kinda corny but hey anything for motivation:) )

I went back last night and had a good chest workout. Didn't do as much weight but wasn't too drastic but we'll see next week when my body get's used to it!

I've never taken any weight gainer but if Optimum nutrition has one out and it's anything like there protein shake's I'd try it out as there protein shakes are great! EAS probably make's a good one too!

Edit-
Oh yeah shunut give yourself another week or two of commitment and your bench will go back up more than what it is now. It won't go way up but I bet you'll hit 145-160 pretty soon!

JB.

shunut
02-21-2006, 04:48 AM
I know, I know. I'll get back to where I was, just frustrating because it feels like I'm starting over.

shunut
02-22-2006, 04:26 AM
I went and played volleyball last night. I did better than I thought I was going to do. Still I'm realizing how weak I am. My vertical has dropped I'd say about 5-6", so spiking and blocking last night didn't work very well. My first serve didn't even make it to the net, it was kind of embarrassing. I made some adjustments and did alright though. I thought that maybe I'd get out of breath on some of the longer volleys but I really didn't. I was good to be back on the courts but after only 3 games I was about done for the night. I am now down to 146 lbs, dropped another 3 lbs since Monday. So, that 6 lbs since I finished my IV antibiotics (eat your heart out all you guys how are trying to lose weight :wink:). Going again tonight, going to do a light back and tricep work out.

~shocktheman~
02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Curious, what are some of the things you guys do when you workout? You keep saying back/chest/leg types of workouts, just what are the different excercises you all do for each area?
Comprende?

shunut
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
For me when I'm pushing and trying to really get strong and work my muscle to failure this are some examples of the workouts I do, I'm putting the weight I used back a couple months ago before I got sick and only for example, you will have to adjust your weight for more or less depending on what you can do:

Chest

Flat Bench:

Start out with just the bar, do a couple reps just to stretch your muscles a little, I also do some chest and shoulder stretches before I start and also through out my workout

Set 1: 12 reps 125 lbs
Set 2: 10 reps 145 lbs
Set 3: 6-8 reps 165 lbs
Set 4: 4-6 reps 185 lbs
Set 5: 2-4 reps 205 lbs

Inclined Bench:

Set 1-4: 145 lbs 10-12 reps each set

Declined Bench:

Set 1-4: 155 lbs 10-12 reps each set

I also do Fly's either inclined or on a flat bench, sometimes both as well as a couple other exercises.

Thats an example of my chest workout. When I do chest that is the only thing I do that day. I could give you some more examples but this post is already getting long. If you want more, pm me and I'll send you my workouts that I have saved on my computer.

QAZ123
02-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Chest-
Flat bench-3 set's 4 rep's going heavy with a possible 4th set with a little extra weight'
Incline- same thing
Decline- same thing
Military press- almost works' my delt's more but I still like doing them.

Sometimes butterfly's sometime's with a machine just depend's if I wanna switch it up or not.

Back-
Lat pulldown's
Row's
Shoulder shrug's (I love doing these)
Wide grip pull up's
Some other type of pull up where I use a triangle shaped bar wrapped around the actual pull up bar. Basically my body is almost horizontal when doing these except for my leg's bent at the knee's. I don't do them often as it's kinda difficult.

Shoulder's-
I don't know the name's of any of the exercises but I do a bunch of different one's to work my delt's.

Leg's-
squat's
smith machine squat's
stiff legged dead lift's
leg extension's
hamstring curl's
standing calf raises toe's pointed in, straight and out
Gonna start doing lunges I believe as my leg's are lacking need to switch something up

Arm's tricep's-
Tricep extension's arm's shoulder length apart
tricep extension hand's really close together at an angle
umm it's like a bench press with your hand's really close together I don't know what it's called
over the back tricep extension I'm sure that not what it's called but can't remember either

Arm's biceps-
standing curl
preacher curl
bunch of various dumbbell curl's I change it up often

Most all my exercises are 3 set's of 4 rep's going heavy keeping proper form.

JB.

shunut
02-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Last night was a better night for me, a little bit less discouraging. I still wasn't lifting the weight I'm use to but I did 15 minutes on the bike with hardly any problem breathing. I did a little over 3 miles in that 15 minutes and was flipping back and forth between 2 and 3 on the resistance. So I was doing a pretty good pace. Tonight I'm going to work on Shoulders and Biceps, and of course some more cardio.

vikingshadow
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, I faltered again last night, although it was because I fell asleep, of all reasons! I've been fighting an upper respiratory thing, and have actually exercised pretty regularly this week, but last night was an off night.

Getting back on it again tonight!

QAZ123
02-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm doing good this week been staying steady. Right now I'm taking like 1200% of my daily intake of vitamin c just to keep any more cold's away as there is a lot of people at work coughing and wheezing still so hopefully I'm good to go.

Start Jiu-Jitsu classes very soon on monday's and thursday's from 7:30 to 9:00 and I get off at 5:00 on those day's so I'm thinking I'm going to use the companies gym to work out on those day's in order to get done on time as I think that will work out.. I hope.

JB.

shunut
03-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Things are very, very discouraging right now. I use to like going to the gym but now I dread the word. I know I've only been back in the gym for about 10 days but I'm just not getting to where I want to be. I'm doing more meds now than before I got sick, like breathing treatments and stuff, and it seems that I'm having a harder time than before I got sick. To me this just doesn't make sense. I did a very extensive course or IV antibiotics, breathing treatments and other meds, I should be in better shape than before I got sick. I guess the reality of having Cystic Fibrosis is catching up with me and I'm not liking it. I've never been limited to what I can do because of CF, never! I've always done what I want, when I want and nobody has ever tried to stop me. I don't like this at all. I have an appointment with my doctor next week, we'll see how things are going then and I'll bring up all my issues at that time, see if there is anything else I can do.

QAZ123
03-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Just see what the doctor say's and if he has any opinion's on what to do shunut. Maybe there's an imbalance somewhere in your med's or something. Just keep you head up.

JB.

vikingshadow
03-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Keep your head up, Shunut! I understand you're discouraged and have every right to be. You're a rock. You can get through this. Also, remember that as you get older, things don't come as easy as they once did. Add to it the CF, and it's going to be that much tougher for you. I understand you aren't old like me (hahaha!) but your body just naturally resists. Remember, we're here to back you up.

Now, I wish I could be half as motivated as you. It seems I'm on again/off again so much, it's rediculous. At times, I'm ready to just chuck it. It seemed that when I weighed 250, I weighed 250 - no ups and downs, always the same. Now that I'm down to around 180, it's tough to stay there! Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it....although I know it is. I work harder at staying down to that weight than I do anything.

Sigh, oh well. Enough complaining from me. Keep your heads up fellows.

shunut
03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the support and the encouraging words guys. Its just really tough right now because I'm so active, which is probably one of the reasons that I've done as well as I have. I'm not the typical CF patient, not even close. This is sad but everyone that I've known with CF are dead. :cry: Actually I don't personally know any CF patient who have lived past 23, except me. I don't know anybody else with CF now, but that is purposely. Its hard to deal with when you see your friends die so young, especially when its from a disease that you yourself suffer from. So a long time ago I decided not to associate myself with the CF community, its just easier. Although all my friends died young the life expectancy is 32 right now. I know that seems low but when I was diagnosed it was 16! At 20 months old when I was diagnosed the doctors told my mom that I might make it to kindergarten, but not likely. I'm 26 now and will be 27 in August. Since I was young I've always participated in sports and defied all the doctors. Everytime anybody said I couldn't do something because I had CF, I did it. At 5 I completed a 20 mile bike-a-thon to help support the CF Foundation and I did it all on my own, no help from anybody. I played soccer from the time I was 8 through high school and I was usually a starter and played nearly the entire game. On top of soccer I played just about every other sport offered from basketball to tennis. So you can see, now that I'm having trouble even playing an easy game of volleyball, I'm very discouraged. Unfortunately CF is a progressive disease and without either a cure or lung transplant my lung capacity and function will continue to decrease. I'm just not ready for it to stay where its at. I will keep pushing and hopefully with hard work I can change where I'm at now. I guess I should also be thankful that I'm even here to complain about all this.

Vike, even if you are having trouble maintaining around 180, thats still good. At least you're not saying that I'm steady at 250. You should be proud of yourself because I've seen lots of people struggle so much trying to lose any weight. I think a round of applause :applause: is in order for all of us and a way to go :waytogo:. Maybe that will get the spirits up.

SoldierzHonor
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
As much as I used to surf the spyder forums, I've been unable to lately. Tomorrow I get to go to the wonderful VA and have a doctor tell me why I cant sleep because of the explosions in my dreams, that wake me up from my sleep. And the constant sights that keep popping in my head from memory. It was good up till a few weeks ago and the sleep deprivation had me wondering around like a zombie. Other problems exist but I won't get into those. Just wish things would get back to normal.

QAZ123
03-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Soldier good luck at the VA. Not sure what else to say but hopefully they can help you.

JB.

shunut
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Well, incase you guys weren't aware of it I was hospitalized again. Sunday I got up, felt fine, went to a Cubs spring training game. 5-6th inning started feeling really bad and had to leave the game. By the time I got home I was having lots of trouble breathing, severe pain in my back and 104.7* fever. I was admitted immediately. Didn't even have to sit in the ER, they brought me right back to an ER bed and up to a room within 2 hours. The first 2-3 days really sucked. I was in so much pain a barely moved. They were giving me IV pain meds ever 3-4 hours and still I had some pain. On top of that I was sweating a lot because of the fever. They were having to change my bed sheets 2-3 times a day, which was a chore because it hurt so much for me to move. Turns out I have another pneumonia in the left lower lobe of my lung. I don't know why it came on so quickly but it was pretty bad. I've lost more weight, down to 143 lbs. I look so small now too. I won't be able to do weights again for another 3-4 weeks because this course of antibiotics are going to be longer. I discussed exercising with my doctor though. He said it will be okay for me to go to the gym to do light cardio and light leg workouts. So I will start that probably Monday. Last time I sat around the house and waited to finish my antibiotic course, which I don't think helped. When you are inactive and don't move around much you tend to get sick easier. So I'm playing it differently this time. Hopefully that will help with my recovery when I do get back to the weights.

Nothing really exciting happened this time around. I once again only had one hot nurse and my friends thought that they found her myspace but they didn't. So anybody who has seen the myspace that was thought to be her's its not. I actually looked at that myspace and my nurse was hotter. Unfortunately since I thought I already had her info and would be able to get a hold of her when I got out I didn't ask her for any numbers.

03TiburonGT
03-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow man, glad to hear you're ok. Sucks that the pnuemonia is back. We were all pulling for you, let's hope there aren't any more hospital visits for you!

durrell
03-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I've been playing basketball for 3 to 4 hours straight every Monday night for a month now. Really helping me as far as cardio/breathing goes..I can catch my 2nd wind much faster. As soon as it gets warm here (started this weekend) I'm going to get back into running a mile or more everyday..

vikingshadow
03-12-2006, 04:31 AM
I've ran two miles a day every day this week. Well, more like ran/walked two miles....can't do it all in one take yet. Yesterday, I did about 3 miles. The familiar leg/shin/foot pains are coming back, which was a reason I had to stop before, but not nearly as bad.

I've also done sit ups, push ups, and stretched (twice a day) this whole week. Taking today off since it's the eighth day and I have paintball practice. Actually GAINED 5 pounds but I think I'm seeing a drop and a bit of a toning to my midsection.

I've got Spring Break this week, and my plan is to continue running every day, along with the pushups and situps and stretching, but since I'll be home, adding in a workout from my DVD's I was doing earlier this year. So basically, two workouts a day for a week. That should jumpstart me into weight loss and get me ready to TRY and continue running the rest of this school year (9 more weeks! Whooo Hooo!)

Shunut - my thoughts are with you. Hope you recover completely and get this behind you. Good luck and God speed, buddy!

Ares
03-12-2006, 04:49 AM
i really need to work on my endurance to run the 400m in track. right now im pretty fast at 11.77 in the 100m and 24.8 in the 200m, but im dead over that. it really sux cuz last year i was in much better shape :\

SoldierzHonor
03-12-2006, 04:27 PM
thx QAZ

shunut
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, I'm back to where I started when I joined the gym in January of last year, 2005. I was 137 lbs the first day I went in and I'm 137 lbs once again. At my peak I hit 160 lbs. I have a PICC line in my arm still and will for probably another 2-3 weeks. I'm going to start doing some cardio and leg exercises next week, my doctor said I could do that stuff as long as they are light. I'd like to start some weight gainers but I'm diabetic and right now with all my meds my bloodsugars have been crazy. So, if I was to add the weight gainers my bloodsugars would be even more out of wack. I drink weight gainers/protein shakes regularly when I'm healthy and have no problem keeping my bloodsugars under control while on them. So I'm looking forward to being done with these meds so I can get back on them and gain this weight back. I guess it was a good thing that I got my weight up to 160, if I hadn't and still lost the same amount of weight I'd be down around 110-115 lbs now. Sucks though that all that hard work is gone in the blink of an eye. Enough about me, how is everybody else doing?

QAZ123
03-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Good luck Shunut I'm sure you will do well.

In January I did nothing but eat/sleep/lift and got up to 162. I can't do that again as now I have tournament's all the way till november and yeah it takes a toll on ya but hopefully I can get up to the mid 160's by summer at a low bodyfat percentage.

I've been sick with the flu a few week's back and now sick with congestion again.

Still sitting around 160 but not at the bodyfat I was at. Kinda weird as I figured I'd be lower. No biggie though I'll bounce back soon.

Coughing my lung's out at the moment but gonna go workout tonight.

JB.

shunut
03-20-2006, 07:12 AM
I just wish I could get back to it now. I have this stupid IV in my arm for probably about 2-3 more weeks so I can't lift. The first time I got out of the hospital, was discharged from home health care and was given the okay to go back to the gym. However, I had no desire to do so, I went but I didn't enjoy it like I usually do. Right now I want to go back so bad so I can get back to where I was, so maybe I am finally getting to where I should be health wise. Good luck in all your tourney's JB.

shunut
03-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, went to the doctor yesterday and everything is looking up. My last day of IV therapy is Monday!!!! Finally. They will take my PICC line out Tuesday. After that, its back to the gym. I've been going a couple times a week but I've only been doing light cardio and light leg exercises. How is everyone else doing?

NB_Hacker_NB
03-31-2006, 02:30 PM
I finally reached my goal. My goal was to get below ~5 percent body fat. Im now, my doctors say, 3% body fat. I weigh right now 147 and am 5'6".

vikingshadow
03-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Good news Shunut! Glad to hear it's going well for you. Also, congrats NB Hacker...

I've been running at least 4 times a week (sometimes more) for a little more than a month since it's been pretty nice out, drinking my protein shake for lunch and my protein rich breakfast, but actually gained 5 more pounds. It's pretty disheartening....

Been having problems while running though. My lower back absolutely KILLS me after awhile, to the point of almost needing to lay down. I don't think it's weak abs, because I was doing them pretty religiously for awhile. Quit doing them about 3 weeks ago though.

I honestly think it stems back to seperating my shoulder a few years ago. I've never felt comfortably since that happened. My legs would usually really hurt after the accident, and I felt awkward. I guess I could have thrown my body off center in the accident, but danged if I want to start going to a chiro.....they don't fix you, they maintain you so you have to keep coming back.

chubb0rz
03-31-2006, 03:34 PM
woo...finally got my fat and lazy self back here :P ...actually after a break of slacking on my exercising i just started working out with some guys at the fire house as part of an Explorers Post...looking to go to EMT school in a few months so my friend told me i should join and learn. Nothing to lose esp. with it being free :)

phatphil
04-13-2006, 05:43 AM
OMG 2 weeks without a post, what's happening guys??!?! lol
Here's some new quick, healthy breakfasts I got in an email this morning that I wanted to share: 7 Breakfasts in 5 Minutes (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=weight.loss&category=diet.strategies&conitem=8df999edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____&cm_mmc=BellyOffNL-_-2006_04_13-_-Weight_Loss-_-Instant_Breakfast).

shunut
04-13-2006, 07:39 AM
I've been almost completely inactive so I haven't had anything to post. I went to the gym on Tuesday and did the treadmill for 15 mins at 3.8mph. I also did some very light chest exercises. I've just lost so much and I feel so week and unsteady that its hard to get into the gym. I think there is something more going on with me than the doctor's do. I feel so shaky all the time, if I hold my had out in front of me it looks like I've using a jackhammer all day, you know like the cartoons shake after they use one. My feet get this cramps in them where my toes curl up and lock that way. Its very painful and I have to manual uncurl my toes. Also, I twitch a lot, like my legs, arms and back mainly. I've told my doctors all this and they have nothing to say about it and say that all my blood test look perfectly normal so they won't go any further than that. I don't know. I don't recognize all these symptoms as anything that I've ever dealt with while I was working in the medical field. Unfortunately I never did a lot of work in the neurological field so I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to try to start going to the gym again more regularly and see if that helps. Well see.

vikingshadow
04-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Sorry for not posting. I've been much more active over the past month or so. I try to run as often as I can (about 3 miles each time - although it's usually run for a while then walk, then run - not running all the way through - yet!) Usually the job or the weather keeps me from running. I manage to go about 3-4 times a week between Sundays.

Started biking about 10 miles with the family. I'd go more, but by the time we get that far, the girls are pooped out so we just go home!

I went to the Dr. this week and found out I had gained about 35 -40 pounds back that I lost in the big slim down, so I have new resolve to get back out there and exercise. When and if I ever start playing paintball again, I want to be slim and trim and fit and in shape when I do!

shunut
05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, I'm going to attempt to go back to the gym tomorrow. My doctor told me that I need to take it very easy and just do cardio for the first week or two to build my staminia. They don't want me to over do it so I don't get sick again.

I've had pneumonia 3 times now this year. Had a chest X-Ray about 2 weeks ago because I was having horrible rib pains and I had pneumonia. Luckily this time they didn't have to put me in the hospital. Hopefully the third times the charm and I won't have anymore problems. My doctor said its going to be tough. I asked if she had any idea as to when I might be able to get back out on the paintball field. After a short chuckle she said, "Don't plan on anytime soon." :cry:

QAZ123
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Good luck Shunut in bouncing back into a routine!

I'm staying steady. I'm right at 160 but I'm bigger if that makes sense. Feeling pretty good right now.

I work out at my work now as we have a complete gym there. Pretty nice I get off at 6 and work out afterwards.

JB.

shunut
05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks JB. I've been back in the gym for about 2 weeks now and I'm going to attempt to play volleyball tomorrow. We'll see how that goes and hopefully I can get back to lifting weights pretty soon here.

QAZ123
07-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I've lost a little weight around 158 now. Just been going and going all summer but still workout as much as I can. Everything is getting proportioned the way I want though. After summer is over I'll start bulking up and putting on more muscle but I'm pretty happy where I'm at right now.

On a side note I went on a Controlled labs Green Bulge/White Blood cycle about a month and a half ago. I got ridiculously strong. Everything went up except my bench and I hit about 163 lb's (I was 159-160 before I started the one month cycle) and stayed the same bodyfat area. Good stuff if anybody was curious about trying it out.

JB.

xtraking
07-04-2006, 07:40 PM
vike for your running problems do this... It isnt about distance, it about endurance. Run, or job rather for an hour straight. Dont count the distance... justt time. After awhile start tryin to run 3 miles consectuivley.

you will succeed, money back guarentee :) .

Live2Play
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, looks like theres alot of people who know what thier talking about in this thread, kind of forgot about the existance of this threat to be honest! lol

But, I need some help myself this time. My goal is to get strong, alot stronger than what I am. I mean, I want to be ripped basically.

I havent gone lifting in a loong time, so I'm nowhere near as strong as I used to be, but heres what I could do the last time I went to the gym.

Curl: 70 lbs.
Bench:100 lbs.
Incline bench press- 90 lbs
Tricep Extension w/cable - 40 lbs
I also used another machine that worked my traps, and I could do 90 lbs on that.
---This is all at the local gym too btw--

The only kind of "supplements" I'm taking are the occasional vitamin pill, and the protein plus power bars. Any other reccomendations as to other supplements?

Also, what is the best way to warm your muscles up? I keep hearing different methods and I'm not sure which will benefit me the most. Also, how much weight should each set be upped to achieve the most effective workout? I usually try and do 3 sets of each exercise that I do.

What are some other exercises that I should incorporate with my daily exercises? I want my arms and chest alot stronger, as well as my back too. I plan on increasing my endurance as well this summer, and I have plans for strengthening up my legs as well. Thanks guys.

shunut
07-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I've been back in the gym for a while now. Slowly gaining back what I lost, I have a long road ahead of me. I haven't started back on any supplements yet but I plan on doing that soon.

shunut
07-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm going to start taking supplements again. I'm back in to a good rhythm and working out is becoming a habit again.

I need some help though. I need a good weightgainer. I've used, in the past, Mass Tech by Muscle Tech and Myo Plex Plus Deluxe by EAS. I won't use anything X-Rated or Muscle Milk, so please don't suggest those. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Bigwrecker
07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
my stepdad uses slimfast high protein, drinks one before he works out, then has a small dinner. he has lost 30 lbs and has gained alot of muscle mass.

shunut
07-10-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm looking to gain weight, not lose it. I only weight 145 lbs right now, I want to get up to 175.

QAZ123
07-10-2006, 05:21 PM
If optimum nutrition makes one get it! Other than that I dunno haven't tried any in forever.

I'm fluctuating from 154 to 156. Summer heat and being active is kicking me in the rear but.....

I'm doing different workout's that involve using my bodyweight and it's working out great. We have this power stand thingy that you do pushup's/pullup's etc. etc. on and I love it.

I'm gonna get pic's of the company gym sometime this week cause I helped pick out the equipment and stuff like that.

JB.

durrell
07-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I might start running again tonight..I'm not sure..

QAZ123
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Here's me at about 158 when the pic was taken. I'm starting to fill my frame out I'd like to be around 170 at the bodyfat percentage I'm at right now.

http://myspace-613.vo.llnwd.net/00866/31/65/866945613_l.jpg

Getting there slowly but surely.

Edit-
Hehe notice the 4 month old paintball scar on my bicep. The one thing I absolutely hate about paintball!

JB.

shunut
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Here is me at almost my pinnacle before I got sick. I think I was at about 155-157 in this picture. I peaked at 160 in December. This picture isn't he greatest but you can see the muscle development in my neck/shoulders. I'm actually bigger than I had ever been before in that picture. I didn't think I was that big but since I've been sick all my friends have started to comment on how big I was getting. Even my best friend said one day in the locker room when I took off my shirt he thought to himself "Damn! Josh is getting big!" He said he didn't say anything because he likes giving me a hard time so I push myself harder. Now that I've lost all that muscle, I realize how big I actually was. I'll get back there and then surpass it.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/shunut/joshbig.jpg

Hossy
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Here is me at almost my pinnacle before I got sick. I think I was at about 155-157 in this picture. I peaked at 160 in December. This picture isn't he greatest but you can see the muscle development in my neck/shoulders. I'm actually bigger than I had ever been before in that picture. I didn't think I was that big but since I've been sick all my friends have started to comment on how big I was getting. Even my best friend said one day in the locker room when I took off my shirt he thought to himself "Damn! Josh is getting big!" He said he didn't say anything because he likes giving me a hard time so I push myself harder. Now that I've lost all that muscle, I realize how big I actually was. I'll get back there and then surpass it.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/shunut/joshbig.jpg

isnt that the pic u have on ur myspace and everything else??

eh i just discoverd this thread....im going to the gym everyday, im 6' 5" - 6' 6" ish and i weigh like 230....somewhere around there....maybe a little less.

what do u think i should do to loose some wieght and add some muscle...is there anything you all suggest i should do?

loose wieght as in loose fat weight, and add muscle weight

shunut
07-11-2006, 05:11 AM
I did. I'm not sure if I have it up there anymore.

As for how you should lose weight. Cardio and diet is what is going to drop the pounds. Treadmill, elliptical or the bike are great ways to do cardio. Its best if you do cardio first thing in the morning before you eat anything. Your burn your excess calories that you consumed the day before in your sleep. So when you work out in the morning your a burning straight fat.

Gaining muscle is just lifting weights regularly. We could help you put together a routine if you like. What do you have available when it comes to workout equipment? Do you belong to a gym?

vikingshadow
07-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, time to wake this thread back up again, LOL!

I started back at the gym this week. I had said I wasn't going to, but the working out at home wasn't cutting it, and I was hurting my legs and heel even more by running on the concrete and asphalt, so I gave in.

(Little history as to why I quit the gym: The previous owners had a deal where if you were a teacher, you got a big discount for yourself and your family. When the new owners came in, they got rid of all discounts - although it's rumored that some people have the "in" on discounts - see the town's society people. The owner is a sister to the 2nd wealthiest man in town, so go figure.)

Anywho, I want to lose a LOT of weight by this time next year, would prefer to lose 10 pounds by the start of school - which is in 26 days (CRAP! Time is flying this summer!) I know 10 pounds is a lot to ask for, but I've dropped 5 this week which I've discovered isn't water weight, because I'm sucking the water down like crazy. I would LOVE to drop 20 by then, but that's too much to ask, I know. I'd be happy with 5, because I know the slow and steady thing.

My workout - On M, W, F, I'm taking the workout I learned on the DVD thing I did last year and using the gym weights. Low weight and high reps, because I don't want to be bigger, just more tone. Easy sets, takes about 20-30 minutes to finish everything with stretching incoporated. I stretch between sets of 3-4 different muscle groups worked. Then, I hit the treadmill for a 20 minute run (which will be stretched to 30 in about 3-4 weeks,) stretch again, then hit the eliptical runner for 15 minutes (will move up to 20 in 3-4 weeks.) Then it's the sauna for 10-15 minutes.

On T, TH, S, I do the treadmill and eliptical thing, then am thinking of hitting the stationary bicycle for another 20 minutes. Then it's the sauna again on Tuesday and Thursday. Sunday is my day off (also paintball day for now.)

I've really enjoyed this week - I go in the mornings before I eat (try to hit the gym about 8:00) then come home and eat some cereal and skim milk after a shower. I just need to watch the eating after supper and in the afternoons.

Keep your fingers crossed! I'm hoping to drop 30-35 pounds before it's all said and done. Like I said, 5 pounds already taken care of, so I have a good jump on it.

BTW - anyone ever hear of podfitness.com? The gym is participating in it, and it sounds kinda decent. For like 20 days, they're offering a free trial. You can download a personal fitness trainer's voice onto your Ipod OVER your own music score and they'll walk you through a plan developed just for you. You get to choose a trainer you want from like 50 known trainers for like 21.00 a month. I haven't done it yet because she never gave me the card with the access code on it, but it sounded pretty cool!

durrell
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm going again this afternoon, I like going in the mornings better but I'm going because I need to go..I went Monday afternoon..and I'm still sore lol.

shunut
07-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I've been going everyday but have been having trouble with doing cardio. I run out of breath very fast. I had thought that after a couple months back in the gym the lung function would start coming back but I really haven't seen it yet. I'm still going though and still pushing hoping that will change soon.

I'm going to start some supplements soon but am still researching some protien/weight gainers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.