PDA

View Full Version : PSP to 13.33 bps

vikingshadow
12-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Well, so much for those expensive aftermarket boards and super fast loaders everyone is dying to have...if PSP does this, how long before other tournaments follow suit?

I was told about this, so I went there to read it. Here's a link to the thread talking about it. (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2485683)

Time to break out the mech cocker's with hinge frames and Reloaders and Revies!

Hob Hayward
12-23-2007, 06:00 AM
LoL

Spyder ESP frames are only .33 bps short of that :P

Still, its not quite time for the mech cockers... People are still gonna be shooting the fastest gun they can find...

Maybe if the cap was 10 BPS or so, it'd be time to pull out the mechs, but even still, then you don't have ramping :P

Is there a cap to how fast you can shoot in semi in PSP?

QAZ123
12-23-2007, 06:36 AM
I think it's a great idea. I played a 5 man tourney three weeks a ago with modified psp rules. It was fun... but it also sucked because you just ramped away and kept feeding the loader! Technically it was my own fault but still capping it lower is a great idea!

JB.

LostCause
12-23-2007, 06:37 AM
13.33......wtf mate....

Looking at the thread, stateing that it will make for bigger andbetter moves on the field, well to that, if you dont have the guts to that then why bother playing, its just like 15bps,(for 13.33) 1.77 balls will still have a higher chance to get you out...total stupidity.......are they whinning about getting lit up? if so, go cry to your mum....

sorry rant and tired...so not a good rant

QAZ123
12-23-2007, 07:11 AM
It's actually more like 2 bps less cause psp is like 15.4...

If you played speedball during the 12 bps cap days you could actually move and get away with big moves. Most the kiddos arguing probably havent been around long enough to remember that.

"How am I suppose to lane somebody off the break at that rate" that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

JB.

oldironmudder
12-23-2007, 07:23 AM
I remember when the industry cap was like 13. To me it would help improve skills. Kinda like going from a mechanical marker to a pump. Maybe not as big of a step "back" but some.

timmyshoota
12-23-2007, 07:26 AM
In my old tourney series, I used to play with my gun only shooting 12bps, and had no trouble.

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2007, 07:29 AM
what am i supposed to do with my loader that hits 30bps?

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2007, 07:29 AM

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2007, 07:31 AM
haha 6x combo!

oldironmudder
12-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Pull out the old 12v revvy with 6 layers of krylon & stripped nylon gears?

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Pull out the old 12v revvy with 6 layers of krylon & stripped nylon gears?
nothing will make me go back to agitated feed. revvy to halo b was the best choice I ever made at 13bps.

The Pumper
12-23-2007, 07:44 AM
But then you have the chance of double feeding unless you have really strong detents.

oldironmudder
12-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I hear that!! Even running mech frames I would chop before I got my JAM bolt. Slapped a Halo B on there & BAM all chopping problem s fixed.

I wont go back to a revvy, unless its for pump play. Im sure if the wife gets into playing more Im sure Ill have to ge her a faster hopper. Oh well, 10bps or uber fast ramping to 25bps, I dont care, Im still gonna play.

Hob Hayward
12-23-2007, 08:01 AM
But then you have the chance of double feeding unless you have really strong detents.

Thats why there are force settings.

The Pumper
12-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Ah very true. silly technology. ;)

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 08:03 AM
:thewave: my dipswitch board is capped at 13, and i get ZERO chops with my zeggy!!

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2007, 08:06 AM
:thewave: my dipswitch board is capped at 13, and i get ZERO chops with my zeggy!!
ew

QAZ123
12-23-2007, 08:13 AM

The same thing you always did with it...

Not ever come anywhere near hitting the cap!!!;)

JB.

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 08:17 AM
ew
function over form. until i get it t-boarded, i have no need for a faster hopper.

LostCause
12-23-2007, 09:43 AM
It's actually more like 2 bps less cause psp is like 15.4...

If you played speedball during the 12 bps cap days you could actually move and get away with big moves. Most the kiddos arguing probably havent been around long enough to remember that.

"How am I suppose to lane somebody off the break at that rate" that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

JB.

true......though hey...maybe i shouldnt get thaat spieces timmy....my piolt acs is capped at 15 lol....

ah well

Hossy
12-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Honestly I dont really care if it goes down that much I dont play PSP, or much at all for that point-

Its about 2 balls per second slower. Its still fast. I dont have a problem with it, it will just save me paint. And saving paint is saving money.

timmyshoota
12-23-2007, 10:17 AM
The only reason I care about the ROF drop is I play CFOA and quite possibly a few PSPs. With PSP dropping their cap, CFOA will do the same most likely. Protege/Marq boards are either 15bps or unlimited, so hopefully BLAST will reprogram the boards for free.

Hossy
12-23-2007, 10:20 AM
The only reason I care about the ROF drop is I play CFOA and quite possibly a few PSPs. With PSP dropping their cap, CFOA will do the same most likely. Protege/Marq boards are either 15bps or unlimited, so hopefully BLAST will reprogram the boards for free.

not to go off topic, but What different modes are on the Protege?

Chris brings up a good point though....
Nobody would want to pay for another board that was at 13.3. How would the market or companies respond to this?

timmyshoota
12-23-2007, 10:23 AM
not to go off topic, but What different modes are on the Protege?

Chris brings up a good point though....
Nobody would want to pay for another board that was at 13.3. How would the market or companies respond to this?

3shot, semi, full auto. 3shot and full auto activate after 4bps is reached, so its like PSP and NXL modes.

Tadao has said they will reprogram boards for just the cost of shipping. Nobody else has said anything yet, but I forsee other aftermarket companies following suit.

Hossy
12-23-2007, 10:28 AM
3shot, semi, full auto. 3shot and full auto activate after 4bps is reached, so its like PSP and NXL modes.

Tadao has said they will reprogram boards for just the cost of shipping. Nobody else has said anything yet, but I forsee other aftermarket companies following suit.

Tadao is probably the best board upgrade IMO. If they change these rules, then I bet other companies such as Virtue and all will follow.

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2007, 11:52 AM
function over form. until i get it t-boarded, i have no need for a faster hopper.
in my experience the egg was only good at 2 things, breaking and getting shot. on a side note, I'd like to see a tourney with multiple regulations for bps, like total team limit must be below 60 for a 5 man team. and you can allot it however you want.

bigred76
12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh well... I'm glad my Cyborg does those odd BPS's easily... Guess I'll have to go change all my guns' speeds again. :(

To me it isn't such a big deal. I don't even understand why they're changing it. If you aren't going to make a move at 15bps, then why would they make a move at a bps slower? :confused:

bamf-hacker
12-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Everyone just get stock Ion and use the 13bps cap already set into the board.

I am sure all the companies will re-program boards.

Hossy
12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
I just like Semi....Id reather play a game of everyone using semi than everyone shooting at the same level. Ive always played sports where you have had to work for every little detail that you play. In sports like baseball, baseball, football, lax, soccer, etc you have to work on every aspect of the your game. There is no rule about everyone can only jump a foot off the ground or run so fast. I think that there would be some cool techniques and more pressure to work on your finger speed for an aspect of the game. Sorry if i lost a few people there, but I think people should be unlimited on what you can do. If people go home and shoot baskets or play catch, the Paintball parrallel is walking the trigger while your at home. I know it sounds kinda fishy, but If someone could get an advantage that way, it would be a little more strategic IMO.

oldironmudder
12-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Here is something to think about....

A team with some crazy folks that go out with pneu-mags!!! Pneu-mags can do like 20bps. So how can PSP really limit how fast a mech marker can go??

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
:yeahthat: i agree 100%. the whole point of competitive sports is to see who's the best overall. with ramping, etc., thats one less variable in the overall competition. now its not about who can sling the most paint (i can already hear a bunch of woodsball guys going "thats all speedball is, slinging more paint than the other team!") and make the right moves, but about who has the guts to run into said stream of paint. honestly, if we played semi only, the guys who could walk the fastest would play back, and the front would be based on reaction time. everyone is worried about how fast-paced paintball is. well, from the games ive watched on tv, from a spectators point, its boring. its nothing but streams of paint and an occasional person being in the wrong place at the wrong time. if we cut down on the paint flinging, there would be a lot more action and daring/risky moves, which would benefit the publicizing of the sport, IMO.

some of the best games i've seen were close-combat woodsball and pick-up games of speedball. why? because these little kids DARE to make moves without getting hit, because they think the other person can't see them. if you have a stream of paint coming towards you, you think "hey, he sees me, so i have to watch myself and dont leave myself exposed" while those kids are thinking "maybe he hasnt seen me yet, now is my chance to make a move!"

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Here is something to think about....

A team with some crazy folks that go out with pneu-mags!!! Pneu-mags can do like 20bps. So how can PSP really limit how fast a mech marker can go??

im pretty sure they have rules that if you get caught doing more than that, you're DQ'd, no matter if its the board's fault or not. and before anyone says "but no one can walk 15+ bps" make sure you have proof.

oldironmudder
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
I really think it should be true semi only. Then it would come down to the players skills and less on the marker.

oldironmudder
12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
im pretty sure they have rules that if you get caught doing more than that, you're DQ'd, no matter if its the board's fault or not. and before anyone says "but no one can walk 15+ bps" make sure you have proof.

Pneu-Mags do not have boards. They have a air switch and a ram to trip the sear & fire the marker.

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 03:59 PM
i know, but i believe marker cap rules apply to the gun as a whole, not just the board, if it has one.

newkid
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
haha you silly speedballers

Hossy
12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
:yeahthat: i agree 100%. the whole point of competitive sports is to see who's the best overall. with ramping, etc., thats one less variable in the overall competition. now its not about who can sling the most paint (i can already hear a bunch of woodsball guys going "thats all speedball is, slinging more paint than the other team!") and make the right moves, but about who has the guts to run into said stream of paint. honestly, if we played semi only, the guys who could walk the fastest would play back, and the front would be based on reaction time. everyone is worried about how fast-paced paintball is. well, from the games ive watched on tv, from a spectators point, its boring. its nothing but streams of paint and an occasional person being in the wrong place at the wrong time. if we cut down on the paint flinging, there would be a lot more action and daring/risky moves, which would benefit the publicizing of the sport, IMO.

some of the best games i've seen were close-combat woodsball and pick-up games of speedball. why? because these little kids DARE to make moves without getting hit, because they think the other person can't see them. if you have a stream of paint coming towards you, you think "hey, he sees me, so i have to watch myself and dont leave myself exposed" while those kids are thinking "maybe he hasnt seen me yet, now is my chance to make a move!"

Yes someone understands! Your the best DFSniper!

Sometimes when I played/reffed with the Birthday Party kids and all, and if a string came there way, theyd go AHH WATCH OUT HES SHOOTING FULL AUTO! or WATCH OUT HE HAS A MACHINE GUN!
I love the new kids that play for the first time and dont know better

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Your the best DFSniper!

sigged!

vikingshadow
12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see the feet distance between paint that's being shot at 15.4 bps and that being shot at 13.33 bps. I bet you guys would be quite a bit surprised that although it's ONLY 2 bps slower, the distance between shots is quite a bit more. I'd say at least 5-10 feet difference, at least, though my physics is quite rusty at this point. There was a site that showed all that stuff at one time. Wish I could remember what it was...talk about being able to run through lanes easier! Makes old, fat guys like me very happy!

OK, after I posted this, I thought it over and came up with a few observations of my own. What I decided is that I like it. I think it will make for longer games, with more exciting game breaking moves. Sure, it might seem like it's better when someone does it at the 15.4 bps, but I think we'll see much more of them at this speed. Also, people used to play at this speed all the time about 4 years ago...it'll be action again, not just shooting for a whole game.

My second thought is that there is no way straight semi is EVER going to be allowed in the PSP. There's just no way to regulate it - too many cheaters. That was the main reason there was a cap in the first place. Seems that paintball is the only sport that someone can actually convince themselves that they aren't cheating, even when it's obvious they aren't really pulling that fast or consistantly. They say they're just pulling one shot at a time, but the board makes it possible to "add" shots without realizing it (slow ramp, anyone?) Really - why do you HAVE to shoot faster? If you aimed and shot, wouldn't the result be the same?

All the whiners about it in the link I posted are really sad. I mean, really. For years, people have said it's all about the player, not the gun. Now, they're actually proving the opposite. Are they scared all of a sudden? Afraid their "skill" level will suddenly be revealed as non-existant? What's the big deal? It's the PSP, it has a leadership, and what they say goes. Don't like it? Don't play. They act like they actually have a voice in the matter. So what? Pull the speed they want and have fun! Make it about skill again, not volume. For years, people complained about the cost of tournaments, now there's a chance to do this a little cheaper - or at least get MORE paint to shoot at the same price - and they're still complaining. Seems the sport has become a prima dona thing after all.

My last thought is that it wouldn't suprise me if eventually ALL tournaments will be doing this. Insurance, safety, etc all are issues promoters have to deal with. Since my team is actually planning on playing a big national event this year - yay for a field owner finally backing us for real instead of just in name - I'm not complaining a bit!

Anyway, I guess long story short, I have no issue with this at all. It's going to seem a bit weird, but we'll get used to it!

ttam13xlpb
12-23-2007, 05:34 PM
I just like Semi....Id reather play a game of everyone using semi than everyone shooting at the same level. Ive always played sports where you have had to work for every little detail that you play. In sports like baseball, baseball, football, lax, soccer, etc you have to work on every aspect of the your game. There is no rule about everyone can only jump a foot off the ground or run so fast. I think that there would be some cool techniques and more pressure to work on your finger speed for an aspect of the game. Sorry if i lost a few people there, but I think people should be unlimited on what you can do. If people go home and shoot baskets or play catch, the Paintball parrallel is walking the trigger while your at home. I know it sounds kinda fishy, but If someone could get an advantage that way, it would be a little more strategic IMO.
i agree with you 100%...but there is only one problem with this...cheater boards/bounce...hard to control cheatin and make sure everyone is actually shootin true semi

Hossy
12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
i agree with you 100%...but there is only one problem with this...cheater boards/bounce...hard to control cheatin and make sure everyone is actually shootin true semi

Yeah, but wouldnt it be nice if people were actually HONEST?

My last thought is that it wouldn't suprise me if eventually ALL tournaments will be doing this. Insurance, safety, etc all are issues promoters have to deal with. Since my team is actually planning on playing a big national event this year - yay for a field owner finally backing us for real instead of just in name - I'm not complaining a bit!

Anyway, I guess long story short, I have no issue with this at all. It's going to seem a bit weird, but we'll get used to it!

Vike we want to see you play!
Give us a VID!

ttam13xlpb
12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
it would be nice if ppl were honest but the sad truth is..they aren't.ok so the cap doesnt affect the NXL correct?

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 06:14 PM
no.

as for the boards, they could make a rule saying semi-only boards. but then you run into the problem that there cant be a way to change modes. even if the only switch on your gun was an on/off, holding the trigger down would still be a way to change modes...

ttam13xlpb
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
so it does affect NXL?

vikingshadow
12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Vike we want to see you play!
Give us a VID!

I've had a few vids up of me playing...I'd have to find them again, though.

We plan on playing the Chicago event (hopefully) this summer. Of course, that's going to require quite a bit of practice, which the weather isn't letting us do right now. Good thing we have about 6 months do get ready! I'll be sure to get some sort of video of it, if we actually do get to go to it...

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
so it does affect NXL?
as far as i know, NXL and PSP have their own seperate set of rules

Hossy
12-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I hear it may effect CFOA too.

ttam13xlpb
12-23-2007, 06:56 PM
as far as i know, NXL and PSP have their own seperate set of rules
ok so...the players that find themselves going into the NXL from the psp would have to adjust back to the 15bps games?which means the teams that have been there awhile winnin everythin..such as dynasty,ironmen,RL,and other top teams..wouldn have to make the change..leaving them still on top of the NXL..maybe im the only one that thinks it would matter???:confused: ???

ttam13xlpb
12-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I hear it may effect CFOA too.
it does affect cfoa

DFSniper
12-23-2007, 07:03 PM
ok so...the players that find themselves going into the NXL from the psp would have to adjust back to the 15bps games?which means the teams that have been there awhile winnin everythin..such as dynasty,ironmen,RL,and other top teams..wouldn have to make the change..leaving them still on top of the NXL..maybe im the only one that thinks it would matter???:confused: ???
i dont really see the problem with that. if you play psp and nxl, practice with both rules, simple as that. hey, it may make it more interesting seeing people play psp the way they would play xball...

HelpDeskHustler
01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Ramping is one of those things that we can ignore and make it like steroids are in baseball, or we can accept, and control it so it doesn't ruin our sport. I agree that semi would be the best, but in this "make me good and make it fast" world, people just won't go for that, and we'll get more cheaters.

Tito=PBL
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
its doesnt really matter to me...i perfer semi anyway...as long as i can keep my ulimited semi then im fine :D lol

ttam13xlpb
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
could always make semi only boards for the events...but oh well the ROF is going to change so there isn't much we can do bout it but start playin on 13.33bps

calebh
01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
i still consider ramping cheating, and i probably always will. also, like DF, i think paintslinging makes the game far less interesting. but...
10bps or uber fast ramping to 25bps, I dont care, Im still gonna play.

mv540
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I've had a few vids up of me playing...I'd have to find them again, though.

We plan on playing the Chicago event (hopefully) this summer.

Which chicago event...? NXL??

sry..I'm outdated in all the 08 season.

HelpDeskHustler
01-08-2008, 02:32 AM

probably just regular psp.

here's my take on it: http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14663
veteran forum is slow.

vikingshadow
01-08-2008, 03:40 AM

Sorry about that, I've had a lot on my plate lately so I'm only thinking about things in pieces these days...

I meant the Chicago PSP event. That is, we'll go if we can raise enough money and make a good enough showing in our other events...

HelpDeskHustler
01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
For years, people have said it's all about the player, not the gun.

It hasn't been about the player since guns shot over 13bps. Everyone was out trying to find the fastest marker. Now it's actually close to being about the player again.

STRIKEFIRST
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I love this...long over due

Critical
01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I disagree that this will make it about the plyer again. If it wre truly about the player, all tournaments would be semi only. Having any ramping, while I don't think it's cheating, still introduces a level of play that exceeds some players actual skill.