PDA

View Full Version : Atomic bomb

kramernator
12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
am i right in believing that the public never knew about the atomic bomb before it was dropped on japan in WWII. i am doing a history day project and i just want to make sure, i know you guys will know
thanks!!

marvin-martian
12-16-2007, 07:37 PM
i know that truman had no idea we had it until he was president, and he used it as soon as he was allowed to.

timbertiger20
12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Not sure but my ex-gf had a photo her grandfather took out the back of the plane and all you see is a giant mushroom cloud!

bamf-hacker
12-16-2007, 08:18 PM
We have the Enola Gay here at the Air and Space Museum.

And I am not saying what that is. If you don't know you don't belong in this thread :)

marvin-martian
12-16-2007, 08:30 PM
We have the Enola Gay here at the Air and Space Museum.

And I am not saying what that is. If you don't know you don't belong in this thread :)
we have the enola gay book signed by the author

kidonfire
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I MET the navigator from the Enola Gay. So HA!

DFSniper
12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
um, i believe it was einstein who went to the president and said "hey, hitlers experimenting with atoms and molecules to build a bomb"

HelpDeskHustler
12-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Technically speaking, TNT is an atomic bomb since it's reactions occur at an atomic level. What you are referring to is a nuclear bomb, since it's reactions are at a nuclear level. :dodgy:

kramernator
12-17-2007, 01:02 PM
can someone answer my question please, (did the public know about the bomb before it was dropped)

oh and kidonfire, where does the navigator from the Enola Gay live? or is he dead now? because that interview would be excellent for my project

does anyone know any good sites that i can find cool info on

thanks!

durrell
12-17-2007, 01:28 PM
The public did not find out about the "Manhattan Project", or the development of nuclear weapons, until after the bombs were dropped on both Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

bigred76
12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
:yeahthat:

And Claus... if you want to get specific, it's a deuterium-tritium fusion bomb... :dodgy: The incatracies of nuclear fission aren't exactly the point of the thread. ;)

Edit: I take that back. I thought about it some, then realized that the deuterium-tritium fusion bomb came later... the kind that actually was used on Hiroshima specifically was a uranium fission bomb, which used the nuclear fission of Uranium-235. The bomb dropped on Nagasaki, however, was a Plutonium fission bomb, using the isotope Plutonium-239. ;)

LostCause
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
though neither of those bombs were worse then using firebombs...(both the atomic bombs still didnt kill and killed quicker in many occasions, then when we firebombed tokyo)

bigred76
12-17-2007, 02:43 PM
You think it wasn't that bad, eh? Call up Japan and they'll hook you up with the guy that has 5 *****es and 3 balls. ;) Tell me that aint bad...

durrell
12-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Look up the after effects the radiation had on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. It was awful.

But it ended the war, so that's what counts. The POW acts on our troops by Japan were atrocities (Bataan Death March, anyone?), so it's all in how you look at it.

LostCause
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
yeah ,well im my oppion they should've got worse...look at the rape on nanking....dont tell me they dont deserve, it. The best part most were tried in court.

And i agree wholeheartly with our use of them, they saved millions of lives, since we all know to invade Japan would of took that or maybe more.

colonel_moo
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
um, i believe it was einstein who went to the president and said "hey, hitlers experimenting with atoms and molecules to build a bomb"

umm... not even a little bit close, but whatever.

if we hadn't dropped the bombs, japan would have seen alot worse than it did. fire-bombing caused many times the destruction of the atomic bombs

calebh
12-17-2007, 03:39 PM
maybe we should just nuke the middle east and save millions of lives :dodgy: sinking to their level is never the right thing to do.

but hindsight is 20/20. i don't think anyone realized how truly horrible it would be, since it had never been used in the field before. it wasn't until after the war that all those living anywhere near the test sites had any symptoms of exposure.

i hope we never have to use another weapon of that magnitude again.

durrell
12-17-2007, 04:00 PM
umm... not even a little bit close, but whatever.

Umm, he's right. Einstein had someone else write the letter, and he signed it, which got the Manhattan Project underway.

August 2nd, 1939 - Albert Einstein signs a letter authored by physicist Leo Szilard addressed to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, advising him to fund research into the possibility of using nuclear fission as a weapon in the event that Nazi Germany may also be conducting such research. He later regretted signing the letter.

codymm1014
12-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Actually I think it was like this.

Einstein had a partner a long time ago in Germany who said he had an idea that he could make an a bomb in the next 2 years. His friend wrote the letter and he signed it as a recommendation to the president to build an a bomb to use as a threat against germany. He never was for the use of it, but he hated the evil of germany so much he wanted it to be made to be used as a threat. He hated war and was a pacifist.

durrell
12-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah he worked for America because he hated what the Axis stood for, and it was his friend who feared that Germany was trying to build them.

Either way he was one of the first to sign the letter and send it to the president.

Sonix_Nub3
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I believe the public learned about them AFTER the WW2 bombings in Japen ;) hope that helps.

kramernator
12-17-2007, 05:05 PM
thanks durrell & sonix

Sonix_Nub3
12-17-2007, 05:36 PM
no problem, i wish u the best of luck on ur project thing.

LostCause
12-17-2007, 06:25 PM
maybe we should just nuke the middle east and save millions of lives :dodgy: sinking to their level is never the right thing to do.

but hindsight is 20/20. i don't think anyone realized how truly horrible it would be, since it had never been used in the field before. it wasn't until after the war that all those living anywhere near the test sites had any symptoms of exposure.

i hope we never have to use another weapon of that magnitude again.

i hope we never have to again either...though the middle east nations dont care much about there lives,iran iraq war for example, the irainis sent CHILDREN (mostly teenagers under 18) with no weapons or very few. They sent them in waves and waves agaisnt the iraqis, who just couldnt shot fast enough, were eventualy overran and defeated...I would not say that we should use a nuclure weaon right then and there, though if it saves our soldiers lives, im all for it, if and only if there is no other option (which we have thankfully...few daisy cutters should solve that mass attack....).

kidonfire
12-17-2007, 07:28 PM
oh and kidonfire, where does the navigator from the Enola Gay live? or is he dead now? because that interview would be excellent for my project

He's still alive, but I don't know where he lives.
I met him at a very large airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Good Luck on your project.