PDA

View Full Version : polishing the inside of your barrel??

DFSniper
12-15-2007, 11:58 AM
while polishing my internals yesterday, i stuck my finger in the body to see what it felt like and i thought of something. that stuff smooths out your insides, so wouldnt it do the same to your barrel? people put rain-x in their barrel, so why not put polish (evenly) in your barrel? i shot some last night (they were orange balls so i could still see them in low light) and they seemed to shoot very straight. i dont know if that was because of the polish, or at least it didnt seem to negatively affect my shots.

Hossy
12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Arent they pretty smooth already?

whatever you do, dont try rifleing (sp?)

DFSniper
12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
well yeah, theyre smooth, but this stuff makes it slick!

newkid
12-15-2007, 05:51 PM
after a while rain-x might make it less smoothe than originally

Kenny_McCormic
12-15-2007, 06:01 PM
This is why brass barrels shoot better.

newkid
12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
brass=weak

VS3 Sniper
12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
it might mess up whatever bore size ur barrel has.

Hob Hayward
12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Maybe if its a crappy barrel....

All barrels from top manufacturers are honed to a mirror finish on the inside, something you can't improve with sandpaper.

Kenny_McCormic
12-15-2007, 08:26 PM
brass=weak
Then why are palmer guns considered so great?

The Pumper
12-15-2007, 08:50 PM
You must of forgot who posted that, Kenny.
hint hint look at the username

I never really thought of that, DF. I may take a look at it myself.

DRAGON
12-15-2007, 09:02 PM
When my barrels get dingy looking inside, I use a lambs wool dowel rod swab attached to a variable drill on a very slow speed to polish them to a shiny gleam. No need for polishing compound. The swab alone does a fine job -

DFSniper
12-15-2007, 10:42 PM
i put it in one of my stock barrels and my whisper, no high-end barrels here! the whisper is in good shape, and the stock barrel, well, i wasnt worried about messing it up anymore than it already was. buffing/polishing the inside of it sounds like a good idea, that barrels gotten around like the village bicycle... it sickens me just looking inside it...

newkid
12-16-2007, 07:38 AM
You must of forgot who posted that, Kenny.
hint hint look at the username

I never really thought of that, DF. I may take a look at it myself.

Brass in general is a weak metal

BTW I'm not exactly that new

Blaik
02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I read this online years ago and did it to the first markers I bought and found it greatly increased my accuracy and did increase the distance a bit. Part of that was that my paint of choice was a bit too big for the barrel, but the polishing took just enough out to make it fit perfectly. Here's the steps as I remember them.

You'll need:
variable speed drill
turtle wax(don't remember if it was a specific type or just the original)
a shotgun cleaning kit(with the cleaner head that has a little bit of fine steel wool mixed in with the rest of the cleaning material and also a buffing head)(can't remember what gauge, but I think it was 18 gauge)
either a vice with soft pads or steady legs to grip the barrel

basically what you do is remove the barrel, put some wax on the cleaning head, put the head on the rod and put that in the drill. Going at a slow speed on the drill, you slowly work your way up and down the inside of the barrel, trying to give each section the same amount of time so as to keep the barrel from having dips on the inside. After you work your way down and back up the barrel increase both drill speed and up and down movement (in and out if its in a vice), for a while. then what you do is put the buffing/polishing head on the rod and crank that baby up full speed and buff the devil out of that barrel. Then to make sure all the residue is out run some lint free rags through to pull any remaining residue out. Granted this was done on stock tippmann barrels for pro-lites, so I don't know how polished they were to begin with (I did this after I'd had them and put a few cases of paint through them) so I don't know if its even feasible to do it now, but the interior of those barrels were a crystal clear mirror finish, and it definitely improved overall performance. But your mileage may vary. I make no claim to being any kind of expert on the matter.