PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Field Marker

felceaz
12-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Hello guys, a friend wants to build a paintball field but he would like some advises about the best marker to buy.

I told him to buy Spyder beacuse they are simple, good price and easy to mantain and find spare parts.

Now, what spyder model do yo think is the best for this?
i was thinking about MR1 because it is a woodsball-scenario paintball field.

what do you guys think?

thank you.

DFSniper
12-15-2007, 11:03 AM
well, if hes playing scenario/woods the the MR1 would be a good entry-level marker. if he wants something a little faster, then i would suggest the E-MR1 or the VS1 because it has eyes.

SupaSnipa
12-15-2007, 11:31 AM
If he is starting a woodsball field I say MR1 because a friend has one and you can beat em up and they will still fire. I wouldn't suggest getting an EMR1 or a VS1 purely because it will be a rental marker and you will probly get noobs in there for private parties or whatever and you shouldnt get an electronic marker because you will get dirty and wrech the gun

DFSniper
12-15-2007, 11:47 AM
oh, somehow i missed the fact that they were going to be rentals. i went to a field that rented out the old spyder classics once. i would definately go with a normal MR1 then. they're much easier to maintain than tippmanns (which most fields use).

chnk
12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
tippmans because rentals go through alot of ****, and the last thing i want to deal with is batteries for an emr1 or vs1,
spyders are easier to take apart than tippmans which in this case is a bad thing, because we dont want noobs pulling the quick strip pins, or loose cocking pins,

spyders are easier to maintain but tippmans don't need much maintenance

remember these are rentals, not personal guns

if you give noobs an electric gun, then youll have to supply them with electric hopper too, which creates another problem and cost, because gravity feeders on electric hoppers inst really that fun, jamming and ****,

single trigger 98s still outshoot gravities, which when i ref i hear alot of **** about. imagine giving them a double trigger spyder, or better yet an e-spyder, just more **** field owners have to deal with

Kenny_McCormic
12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
tippmans because rentals go through alot of ****, and the last thing i want to deal with is batteries for an emr1 or vs1,
spyders are easier to take apart than tippmans which in this case is a bad thing, because we dont want noobs pulling the quick strip pins, or loose cocking pins,

spyders are easier to maintain but tippmans don't need much maintenance

remember these are rentals, not personal guns

if you give noobs an electric gun, then youll have to supply them with electric hopper too, which creates another problem and cost, because gravity feeders on electric hoppers inst really that fun, jamming and ****,

single trigger 98s still outshoot gravities, which when i ref i hear alot of **** about. imagine giving them a double trigger spyder, or better yet an e-spyder, just more **** field owners have to deal with He presents a good point you need something completely retard friendly (by retard I mean somebody who can barley figure out ho to cock his gun).

newkid
12-15-2007, 05:01 PM
only thing about tippmans are that you dont need to maintain them at all and they are indestructable

vwjimmy
12-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Our field has Tippys and mech Spyders in their rental bin and both do well for them. A cotter pin will stop players from getting the quick strip pin out. Lots of Spydeys have plastic frames and they could get broken by players who don't care about your gear, so he could try to get some metal mechs and some Tippmann 98c's an he will be all set!

Hob Hayward
12-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah - tippy's will give you less issues IMO. You can toss em in the dirt, throw em a pond, freeze them, run them over and then pick 'em up and they'll still shoot just fine...

TBH, as much as I prefer spyders, 98customs are the perfect rental marker. (esp with their ACS system, if it works, maintenance is even easier...)

Critical
12-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah - tippy's will give you less issues IMO. You can toss em in the dirt, throw em a pond, freeze them, run them over and then pick 'em up and they'll still shoot just as bad as they did when new...

TBH, as much as I prefer spyders, 98customs are the perfect rental marker. (esp with their ACS system, if it works, maintenance is even easier...)

Fixed :D

Honestly though, 98's are just about the perfect rental, cheap, reliable, easy to maintain, hard to break, and all the other reasons other's mentioned.

vikingshadow
12-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Our field uses Icons for rentals - the same ones for about 5 years now. Almost all of them still work. However, if I were to chose between Tippies or Icons, I'd go with the Tippies for all the reasons mentioned. When we've had a big group, it takes about two hours to clean them all and get them ready for the next day...With a tippie, just hose them down and hang them up! (Not really, but you know what I mean...)

As far as Spyders go, we looked into those, and to get them we were going to be required to hold a certain dollar amount of Kingman gear/clothing/guns, etc. in stock which we didn't really want to do as we aren't a store, per se.

The Pumper
12-16-2007, 04:29 AM
Cant go wrong with tippy's.
Give 'em a good scrubbing every once in a while and you're good to go :D

newkid
12-16-2007, 06:31 AM
A couple of my friends have tippys and I said something about cleaning their marker and there like, What? Cleaning your marker? You do that?, are you serious?

DFSniper
12-16-2007, 07:27 AM
:lolsign: oh wow, somebody sig that!!

The Pumper
12-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Why?
He could have easily made that up.

cyberthrasher_706
12-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey, I had a friend say that once. Than he had to tear it apart to figure out what was wrong and it was filled with paint and dirt. Then to top it off he broke a bunch of the PLASTIC that it was made of when he was trying to do something (I forget, I think changing his battery or something). I'd saw stick to the metal MR-1, which is all metal minus the stock.....But, I guess if you're pretty sure it's going to get trashed somehow, might as well send a Tippman where it belongs.

VS3 Sniper
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I would say tippmann 98, at the field where I use to work there was one laying on the ground and my boss accdentely backed over it w/ his truck, he pulled foward got out of his truck and picked up the gun and fired it. It worked just as good as before.

felceaz
12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Ok guys this was very very helpfull. we decided to go with the mr1,

Now, what do you think is the spare parts i'm going to need time to time with the mr1?

Plenty of o-rings, bolts, triggers, i don't know, what do you think?

i know the feedneck are going to break soon, but they are cheap, do you believe its better to buy a aluminum feedneck or many plastic ones?

The Pumper
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
orings and gold cup.
many plastic ones.

VS3 Sniper
12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I would buy the unbreakable plastic ones(not sure where they sell um). i had one w/ my mr1 and i never had breakage problems.

cyberthrasher_706
12-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I would buy the unbreakable plastic ones(not sure where they sell um). i had one w/ my mr1 and i never had breakage problems.
hmm, never heard of those. I'd say plastic since the aluminum feedneck is like $40 a piece so that could really add up, but so could all the plastic ones in the long run.

chnk
12-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Ok guys this was very very helpfull. we decided to go with the mr1,

Now, what do you think is the spare parts i'm going to need time to time with the mr1?

Plenty of o-rings, bolts, triggers, i don't know, what do you think?

i know the feedneck are going to break soon, but they are cheap, do you believe its better to buy a aluminum feedneck or many plastic ones?

definitely the unbreakable ones, and have them held onto the marker by hose clamps and same goes for hopper

i did the same thing on my mr2 works like a charm

Ace24
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
MR1, why?

This is why: MR1 Project (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/IMG_8902copy.jpg)

I'd go with the CCM Feedneck upgrade. That and plenty of o-rings. Other then that? Uh... Dow33, and Teflon tape.

You really don't need a lot of stuff to keep a Spyder maintained.

newkid
12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
get some 98s and mr1s and see which you would prefer to rent out before you invest in many of them

SupaSnipa
12-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I say MR1 over 98c because they have the field stripability and they have little maintainence

Hob Hayward
12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
MR1, why?

This is why: MR1 Project (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/IMG_8902copy.jpg)

I'd go with the CCM Feedneck upgrade. That and plenty of o-rings. Other then that? Uh... Dow33, and Teflon tape.

You really don't need a lot of stuff to keep a Spyder maintained.

Doesn't take much, but x 20 guns, it adds up to quite a bit.

The 98c needs NO maintenance... (minus a swab through the breach and barrel)

In addition, it doesn't matter how sick your MR1 is, the field can't afford to have one of those for every person who comes through, especially if they don't care about your gear.

LostCause
12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
yeah, they may break to much and the price would skyrocket, my friends tippy 98c is a tank...we had it fall out te back of his 4X4 and hit a tree, didnt break at all, shot it and it worked perfect. you just have to swab it after a days worth of play (if that). and you can just use a gravity loader, so you dont have to spend a ton of money on hoppers

newkid
12-18-2007, 03:33 PM

In addition, it doesn't matter how sick your MR1 is, the field can't afford to have one of those for every person who comes through, especially if they don't care about your gear.

EXACTLY!!!

cyberthrasher_706
12-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Doesn't take much, but x 20 guns, it adds up to quite a bit.

I think we're forgetting how little maintenance the mr-1 needs as well. Hmmm, lets see. Oil, swabbing (if you manage to have a break), that's it. Doesn't every gun on the market need that, including the 98?? The 98 has the reputation simply because that's what everyone uses due to the popularity of tippman. There is nothing about a 98 that is better than a factory mr1.

DFSniper
12-18-2007, 09:02 PM
if anything, the mr1's only downside is that paint MAY get stuck in/on the bolt and it doesnt come with a metal feedneck (spend $10 for a slip-on!)

Ace24
12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
My point is the MR1 has amazing potential.

MR1 is easier to maintain then the Tip98. I can strip, clean and lube a Spyder in under 2 mins. (Did it at a local pawn shop that had a old Victor to show off to the owner and to clean it up so he could sell it >.< That includes putting it back together too. )

You can't do a Tip98 that fast... Stupid end caps are a P.I.T.A.!

DFSniper
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
not to mention all the screws and springs... my friend lost the spring that keeps the feedneck on the second time he took it apart (to install his RT trigger)

bamf-hacker
12-19-2007, 04:08 AM
ok here is the deal.....

When you rent a gun to a player they will most likely not take care of it. A field stripable gun is bad news. Imagine how many striker buffers and springs you would need every time someone removed the strip pin. We have all done it on our Spyders. We took the pin out and forgot to hold the back cap and poof... Stuff all over. Now not really an issue if you are at a table or at home, but in the middle of the woods!!! I actually have made a few bucks out on the field when Spyder owners removed thier strip pins and forgot to hold the cap. I always carry extra Spyder parts in my gear bag and they have helped a lot of players out.

SO after that long rant.

Use tippys for rentals. Not much you can field strip on them and they really are the work horses in PB. If you want to do some other rentals get a few Spyders to rent as an upgrade e-marker.

DFSniper
12-19-2007, 04:30 AM
heres a solution to the field-stripping problem: use little suitcase locks. that way the renters cant field strip it themselves, and the only extra step it'll take you is the turn of a key (im sure you can order them in bulk so you dont need a different key for each one0

chnk
12-19-2007, 07:31 AM
i think the locks will do, the locks sound like a good idea, problem solved

newkid
12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
one last thought... majority of places rent tippmans can they all be wrong?

spyderfan4271
02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I know this is a kingman forum but buy at least one 98 custom and compare it too as many mr1's as you want. You need to remove five or more allen screws to seperate the tippmann in half. People renting a gun are not going to try to disassemble it in the field, they shouldn't have too. mr1 might be easier if your friend is use to spyders and not very tippmann savvy. BT(as in Ben Tippmann) are suppose to be easier to reassemble than 98c.

king-man
02-08-2008, 08:26 PM
ive seen one b4, they look harder, i had my tippys and mainteced them about once a year, we trough in mud and everythingtake a rag and drop some oil in every now and then

N_Dub_Spyder
02-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey, I am a Spyder guy and I always have been... But I think the base 98c is def the way to go. Both guns are pretty comparable, but the 98c better matches the needs of a rental. Just my $.02

bigred76
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
The guns are just about the same in my mind, but because of Dan's reason, it would rank over the MR1 in a field use. They've been the staple of many, many fields for a long time, and I think they're going to stay that way for a bit longer.