PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in the Woods

dreurich
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm brand new to the sport and am super excited to get into it. I got a Spyder Sonix Classic for Christmas (Can't open it until the big day :mad: ) and will be bringing it up to the cold cold north for a debut. I've been trying to research the ins and outs of the marker, the CO2, the paint balls, etc. so that I can enjoy while I'm up there. I was hoping to get some answers from knowledgeable folk on some cold weather issues I've heard about.

1. I've heard a lot about the cold allowing the liquid CO2 to get into the internals and interrupt operation. Is this just an inconvenience, or could the internals actually be damaged because of this. I've heard varying explanations. It's going to be COLD up there (Maine) and I'm wondering if I should scrap the endeavor and wait for a warmer clime.

2. We're going to be on our own property and will not have access to a filling station for the CO2 (We'll be in the middle of nowhere). Is it okay to travel with charged cylinders? How far can we go on one full cylinder?

3. Any hints on where I can get winter paint balls? Not much luck in local establishments.

4. I'm concerned about chronoing. Don't have access to a chrono. Do variables such as temperature and altitude affect the exit velocity? If so do I need to chrono the marker at each new location? Man, I hope that's not a dumb question!:confused:

Anyway, any insight is helpful, so thanks! Can't wait to get started!

Sandman_Bravo
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm brand new to the sport and am super excited to get into it. I got a Spyder Sonix Classic for Christmas (Can't open it until the big day :mad: ) and will be bringing it up to the cold cold north for a debut. I've been trying to research the ins and outs of the marker, the CO2, the paint balls, etc. so that I can enjoy while I'm up there. I was hoping to get some answers from knowledgeable folk on some cold weather issues I've heard about.

1. I've heard a lot about the cold allowing the liquid CO2 to get into the internals and interrupt operation. Is this just an inconvenience, or could the internals actually be damaged because of this. I've heard varying explanations. It's going to be COLD up there (Maine) and I'm wondering if I should scrap the endeavor and wait for a warmer clime.
2. We're going to be on our own property and will not have access to a filling station for the CO2 (We'll be in the middle of nowhere). Is it okay to travel with charged cylinders? How far can we go on one full cylinder?
3. Any hints on where I can get winter paint balls? Not much luck in local establishments.
4. I'm concerned about chronoing. Don't have access to a chrono. Do variables such as temperature and altitude affect the exit velocity? If so do I need to chrono the marker at each new location? Man, I hope that's not a dumb question!:confused:

1. Liquid CO2 won't harm anything other than o-rings. Even then it's fairly uncommon.
2. You can travel with the tanks, yet technically it's probably violating some sort of DOT reg, but then so is transporting your propane grill tank.
3. Winter balls are available, but probably only thru internet/mail order. Google it.
4. Chronoing your marker is one of the key safety procedures you will follow. Most fields require you to chrono before each day of play. Stop at any indoor field or pro shop, they'll hook you up.

My advice to you is to try and run compressed air/Nitro(gen). It's less prone to ambiant tempurature variations. Be forewarned that winter paintballing is fun, but a task that requires some work on your part. Keep the paintballs warm until ready to go in the hopper. Keep the tank & gun as warm and dry as possible. Take regular breaks and warm everything up. Make sure your marker is clean and lubed up.
Good luck.

NeedForSpeed
12-13-2007, 01:28 PM

CO2 will turn into a liquid at colder temperatures. There's three basic options to cure this.
1. Buy a compressed air tank, this is epensive though and since you don't have a fill station probably not an option
2. Buy a remote coil for your tank. This is probably your safest option
3. Get your tank anti-siphoned for your marker. Another good opion that I would personally do because I like using the tank to prop the marker against me.

What size are your tanks? 20 ounce? Probably around 1200-1500 shots. It is ok to travel with the tanks

Google Draxxus Arctic Inferno

When playing rec I've never chronoed. I havene't played rec paintball in a long time but I don't know anyone who has got hurt from it. The cold will probably make the balls a little more brittle so high velocities won't be needed. Just turn your velocity all the way down and turn it up so you can shoot straight with decent speed. It's hard to explain what you'll see. But if you have doubts, keep it low.

^^

bamf-hacker
12-13-2007, 01:46 PM
OK I need to step in here.

The first 3 have been answered and are for the most part on the money (C02 is always liquid in the tank ;))

as for number 4......

DO NOT PLAY WITH A GUN THAT IS NOT CHRONO'D.

Spyders have been known to come out of the box shooting VERY hot. 350+fps. The nature of the marker and the metal springs make them fluctuate in FPS depending on weather. If you are shooting a hot marker it can break goggle lenses and your first time out will be your last and we dont want that.

Bring you marker to the local shop and have them chrono the marker. Make sure they know you will be playing in the cold and turn the FPS down a bit past the safe 290fps so you can be ok with weather fluctuations. Now a better thing is buy a handheld chrono for $40-$60 dollars and you can chrono your gun and the others at the field and through out the day.

I am a little nicer and will give you links to the Paint and a Chrono from a big online retailer

Paint:
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EasyAskSearch-ByTemplate;sid=HDk5RkWtVs85RQLMu_H57k95FBT8j0Vz8ys =?searchType=USERSEARCH&searchTerm=%27PMI%20Polar%20Ice%27&SearchTitle=PMI%20Paintballs%20-%20Polar%20Ice%20Paintballs&header=Paintball

Chrono:
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=HDk5RkWtVs85RQLMu_H57k95FBT8j0Vz8ys=?Pro ductID=eWysFAY7CzYAAAD3kXilA_2y

Welcome to SOC and go out and have a GREAT time!!!

druid
12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
my personal fave is the Shooting Chrony Chronograph. It's more expensive than the RadarChron but less (and more portable) than the PMI bench mounted system....
Order the "F-1" model...
http://www.shootingchrony.com/

deano 177
12-13-2007, 10:49 PM
my personal fave is the Shooting Chrony Chronograph. It's more expensive than the RadarChron but less (and more portable) than the PMI bench mounted system....
Order the "F-1" model...
http://www.shootingchrony.com/

Oh yea. those are good. I got the little yellow one that hangs on the end of the barrel. It does the job and keeps you safe. DO NOT PLAY WITHOUT CHRONOGRAPHING!!! this is the worst thing you can do when playing paintball.

SupaSnipa
12-14-2007, 04:12 AM

Like stated before, you could buy a n2/Compressed air tank. Yes, they will be more expensive, however, it is a clean gas and is not effected buy the weather. You can pick up used steely tanks out if the B/S/T section for about $40.

Yes, you can travel with filled CO2 tanks, you can always buy a bulk CO2 tank and fill from there.

Draxxus Frostbite (http://www.procapsdirect.com/c-80-winter-formulated.aspx)

Look at above posts for handheld chrono

Hope you like this awesome sport!

dreurich
12-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Appreciate all of the education! Thanks!

I found a shop around here where a bunch of experienced enthusiasts work, so I actually got to speak to a couple of people and actually look at some of the things mentioned in this thread. I was very confused about siphoning but they showed me how it's done and it is super simple. Seems an inexpensive way to combat the cold. Still looking into N2/Compressed air, but probably won't make that shift in time.

I'm def gonna get a chrono! Heard a first hand shattered goggle story. That's all it took. Other than that I'm gonna fill the tanks and get some ammo, then I'm all set.

Thanks to everybody who shared and helped get me on my feet. I'm jazzed!:D I'll let you know how it goes.

I went on youtube just to see what's up and found some INSANE (in a good way) markers. Except for those four young kids in their living room pretty much emptying an entire tank because they wanted to hear their fully automatic marker go off but couldn't even control it so it whipped all around in their living room. That was INSANE in a bad way, I think, and the thought of them actually getting their hands on paint balls frightens me a bit, but, hey, to each his own.

Hop and pop!