PDA

View Full Version : My (non political this time) rant.

badlandsrox
12-12-2007, 04:40 PM
OK so, for physics i have this stupid teacher, that knows nothing of what he teaches (hes a Biochemisist), and his "teaching" consists of teaching us the theory behind what we are learning, and then expecting us to know the equations of what we are learning without his teaching us, for example today he "taught" Mechanical motion, which consisted of him telling us what affected teh speed, what the motion looked like, and all that, but nothing on the equations, we had to find them ourselves in the text (ok, but the text doesn't show all the equations we need, just a few), and then throws us questions that aren't even included on the unit on the test, for example, our last unit (i forget the name of it, but it was like motion of springs and pendulums) had questions on gravitation and all that on the test (which i didnt study for cuz thats not supposed to be on the test. his class average on the test before last was 48%, and on this one its 71 (he also took off like 6 questions to raise the average, but his excuse was he screwed up the mark thing for the scantron... but anyways, due to his incompetence in teaching, im going to have to retake physics 20 :mad:

Charfizcool
12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I feel your pain...kinda. My chemistry teacher is like that and I need to get my grade up to a 70% with the finals (shouldn't be hard) otherwise I'm getting kicked out of the class. Man that sucks :*(

Critical
12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
College? I had a computer programming class in college that the professor was so bad he screwed up simple arithmatic. It ended up that the entire class got up in the middle of one of his lectures and stood in the Deans office until he heard our complaints, and threatened to have the whole class drop the course unless they replaced him. the next class, there was a new professor. I don't recommend a mutiny like that, but you should have some recourse with the department head or school Dean, but make sure you can document real issues, so you don't come off poorly.

DFSniper
12-12-2007, 05:00 PM
sounds like my math teacher... physics is nothing but an application of math, so that class is easy if you know what youre doing, but if your teacher ****s up like that, i wouldnt be surprised either. luckily i had a really awesome teacher, but he could be harsh if we screwed around (there were only 7 of us in the class, and we all got along). our final project though, was a "robot." basically we had to make an electrical machine. my friend and i made a rotating speaker (we hooked up his ipod and played "dont fear the reaper" the whole time). we took the circuit board from a mini speaker system and wired it up to a 7" speaker encased in a Juicy Juice bottle that was set on top of a spindle from an old VCR bolted to a broken speaker frame. then we had a motor that came out of the bottle and pushed against the spindle, causing the top half to spin. and the whole thing was powered by 9volts!

cyberthrasher_706
12-12-2007, 05:59 PM
College? I had a computer programming class in college that the professor was so bad he screwed up simple arithmatic. It ended up that the entire class got up in the middle of one of his lectures and stood in the Deans office until he heard our complaints, and threatened to have the whole class drop the course unless they replaced him. the next class, there was a new professor. I don't recommend a mutiny like that, but you should have some recourse with the department head or school Dean, but make sure you can document real issues, so you don't come off poorly.
That's why these guys are there, to listen to students and head up the department. If they can't get it done then there is usually a type of student liason to the administration, like at our campus there is the director of student life to handle student issues and complaints. They also work closely with the student body government (this is where my firsthand knowledge comes from), it may be the same at your school. It's important to use the resources available to you. I'd try to speak with the department head, and if your schools structured this way, their higher up which is usually the Division Chair, Than the Dean. Someone is likely to listen to you if you have a well put together case.

sphven
12-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I know exactly how you feel badlands, just yesterday our teacher gave us a huge worksheet on work, power, and efficiency with next to no explanation on how to do it and the test is tomorrow