PDA

View Full Version : New to the Paintball world with a Xtra.

kishin
12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Whats up everyone? Although I am new to recreational paintball and anything further, I have played a few times. I just picked up a Spyder New Xtra for around $70. I decided to go with this as my entry level for recreational use.

From what I heard you should always upgrade your stock barrel. I've been looking at J&J Ceramic, Smart Parts Teardrop and Progressive. What's everyone's opinions on those three, is there any other out there around 40-50 bucks better? Also what other upgrades do you think in the future I should add. Some people say just upgrade the barrel and when I'm ready to get more serious to go and buy a E-marker. Others say when time is good to buy a E-trigger kit and so forth.

So any suggestions will be a good suggestion in my eyes. I am looking forward to all of this. I've seen nothing but good with the events and all. I really want to get in to it more than recreational in the future.

Thanx,

kishin

DexGtr
12-28-2005, 03:06 PM
all those 3 barrels are ok, what's really important is paint to barrel match.

durrell
12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, as far as the barrel goes you have several options. For that price range I would go with a CP 1 piece personally because you get looks and great functionality.

As far as other upgrades go, it is all personal preference, your budget, and whether you plan to play often or not. If you're planning to play every weekend or at least a few times a month, I would suggest once you get used to the sport, picking up something a bit nicer such as a Smart Parts Ion or something in that price range.

If you're not planning to play very often, like only a few times a year, you'd be better off either staying mechanical for low maintenance, or buying an electronic frame used and just not upgrading much, but as I said..it is your personal preference.

Hope I could be of some assistance, welcome to the sport and to the boards! :wave:

TheRedBarron
12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
You seem to be off on the right foot...

1. All 3 of those barrel choices are good, I would suggest whatever you think looks better and whichever you think you want. the performance is roughly the same out of the 3. I would not get a barrel that is over 14 inches or one that is under 10 inches. but that is about all I have to say.

2. E Triggers are a great upgrade for a mech marker, But after getting a barrel I suggest getting a good regulator such as the bob long torpedo or the Palmers stabalizer. Also before you get a E frame I suggest getting a E hopper this will make it so you do not chop balls as often. lastly I suggest a E-frame. after you have that all settup you can start focusing on smaller upgrades such as grips, feednecks, triggers, ASA's these are all nice but not 100% essential.

Welcome to the boards.

kishin
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I am looking to be that rec player on weekends, once I get better at the sport overall, i would like to get more serious with the sport. To me looks isn't a factor for choosing a barrel to me.

As for electronic hoppers, what ones do you suggest? Again I try and do my homework so I read up on Richochet and a few others. I don't need a Halo one, lil too much for me right now, once I upgrade to a better gun I would defenitly consider a Halo.

durrell
12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
For your Spyder, I recommend the Revolution or Empire Reloader (not the Reloader B). Or if you want a bit faster and better looking, for for an eggy (eVLution).

kishin
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Thank you for all the opinions so far, it's greatly appreciated.

ooglieboogliebob
12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
you could probably get a used barrel that's really good for 25 dollars on this site .. or pbnation. As along the lines of a esp frame.. you might want a better feeding system before you go upgrading your bps ... You'll find a lot of chopping occuring if you have more bps before having an aggitating hopper .. A good starter for an aggitating hopper would probably be a revvy which i have found one for 15 used .. but im not sure of the condition .. i'v also found an eggy for 35 too.

Most important to upgrade IMO first is your feedneck and barrel. if you don't have money to upgrade everything .. you could always go with the home mods at www.ottersccustoms.com .. just be careful .. and think about what your doing. A boblong torpedo .. is a good reg for both co2 and HPA .. and has a pretty good recharge rate .. and for a new VA .. which you could just drill yours ... could be an assault block ...

Then you could get HPA ... co2 is really unstable .. and it has a lot of spikes .. and without an antisiphon tube .. it's really bad for your gun because you'll find a lot of o-rings busting because of the liquid co2 getting into your gun .. keep in mind co2's colder than air.

If you arn't going to really play that often .. all of this really isn't necessary .. all that is really needed is a new barrel and a clamping feedneck .. since an elbow breaks really easily ... you should stick with the mechy .. and if it doesn't seem fast enough for you .. you could always do some home mods on your mechy to achieve a better fire rate

Well ... thats some of what you needa know ... but if your gonna really go high and squeeqe every ounce of your spyder .. there's always a t-board and such but i won't go into that :)

ad0131065
12-28-2005, 06:41 PM
jcrazyjj had a esp frame and a 14" J&J barrel for sale if my memory serves me correctly.

Yeah here's the link to it
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=112

The ESP frame is $35 and he may have sold the barrel.
He also has an eggy (eVLution).

bamf-hacker
12-28-2005, 06:56 PM
:yeahthat:

I have a 14" J&J ceramic and I love it. I just added a CP 2 piece to my setup so I could match paint to barrel better. But the J&J is still awesome. I would also change the feedneck. My friend picked up an Xtra a few weeks ago and the first day out the plastic one cracked. It was colder out and that may have contributed to it, but still it broke. A new one is cheap enough 20ish bucks. As for a loader a 12v Revolution (Revy) is a good option, but if you are going to play more often go for an Evolution (Egg), that way if you upgrade your marker or get a new one you don't need a new hopper. Just some advance thinking...

Well that was my .02

Welcome to the NEW board!!!

HacKeR

ooglieboogliebob
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
haha ... don't worry about the pending for the esp .. i'v declined it ... when the kingman forums first went down ... and it's still like that ?? .. i dunno ... im confused too :)

kishin
12-29-2005, 05:12 AM
:yeahthat:

I have a 14" J&J ceramic and I love it. I just added a CP 2 piece to my setup so I could match paint to barrel better. But the J&J is still awesome. I would also change the feedneck. My friend picked up an Xtra a few weeks ago and the first day out the plastic one cracked. It was colder out and that may have contributed to it, but still it broke. A new one is cheap enough 20ish bucks. As for a loader a 12v Revolution (Revy) is a good option, but if you are going to play more often go for an Evolution (Egg), that way if you upgrade your marker or get a new one you don't need a new hopper. Just some advance thinking...

Well that was my .02

Welcome to the NEW board!!!

HacKeR

Thanks for the welcome'ns fellas.. yeah the J&J ceramic has been my top choice so far, I found it for 30 bucks which is the best price I have found for it as of yet. How picky is the J&J Ceramic with paint? I DL'd the pdfs at ottercustom for paint and barrel match, but was just curious for those who has had hands on with it.

For those who do or have used J&J Ceramic what paints do you all prefer and suggest the best for it?

thanx

kishin

ShadowX
12-29-2005, 05:33 AM
when i had one awhile back i remembered any .688-.689 paint fit it good and it was very accurate and even more quiet. i also used at one point in time a paint that was a little too small for it and it still shot fine, it wasnt as accurate with paint that fit it perfect, but good enough.

any draxxus or diabo will do, maybe even some zap or karnage.

kishin
12-29-2005, 05:41 AM
cool.. I just picked up some Draxxus Rec Sport 2000 case for 30 at a nearby shop.

bamf-hacker
12-29-2005, 05:53 AM
Yeah what shadow said. I have shot X-Ball Bronze and X-Ball Silver through the J&J without any issues.

HacKeR

ad0131065
12-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Stay away from the really cheap paints like wild streak and other cheap BE(brass eagle) paints

ooglieboogliebob
12-30-2005, 08:52 PM
well .. actually when i went to virginia they were selling wildstreaks for 2 dollars for a pack of 200 ... good deal .. i bought about .. 5 packs of those .. and played ... and as long as you weren't playing with cheaters you were fine :p .. haha but brass eagles really don't bust in your barrel ... not really too horrible paint ... the paint .. when you get hit near the mouth tastes like .. oil .. which i was the unlucky one to find out .. .but that paint really doesn't shot ... like real paint does .. it just leaves a watermark

swedekid
01-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I liked teardrop the best.

bigred76
01-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Bob, that's because they suck. Those balls probably had been sitting on that shelf that you picked them up on sale from for 6-12 months. Paint has a shelf life of 1 to 2 weeks. Then it can be stored, and you can still use it, but they start to degrade from there. Get good quality paint, like the Draxxus paint you purchased. Different balls have different bore size, so always buy ones that are the same bore size as or less than your barrel. Never over. Trust me, bad experiences will follow. Here (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html) is a link to Otter's Paint FAQ and it has the bore sizes of most paints. ;)

ooglieboogliebob
01-02-2006, 05:34 PM
haha .. i always get premium paint .. cuz i get 50% off on all paint ... it's not too expensive for me ... unless ... 20 bucks for a case of paint's expensive for you guys ...

druid
01-03-2006, 09:04 PM
scorch is a decent paint...not like Hurricane, but decent

stay away from blue streak.....it's like getting hit with Iron Ore pellets

spyderimagine01
01-13-2006, 05:47 AM
.....it's like getting hit with Iron Ore pellets

I had a run in with that paint too, hurt like crap. Dont know why though :confused:

bizzarro
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
My friends and i all just started playing about 2 months ago. we all use spyders expect for 2 guys with tippmans. there are 3 spyder xtras there and all three feednecks have broke. Id definately suggest replacing that very first.

bigred76
02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
If you just want a cheap clamping feedneck, get a slip-on CIP. Works well, and is only about $15 shipped if you can find one used and in good condition.

ooglieboogliebob
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
hah yep .. or you can find a q-lock feedneck which would probably be a better pick .. but you'd need around 25-30 bucks ...

Alien
05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a questions about the spyder xtra. I have bough recently the barrels ( The Freak 14 inches ) with the spring kit and i want to know if there is a big difference if i put the red spring or the silver. Which one is better and why ? In short or long distance which one will hurt the most the light one or the red one will hurt more hard and shoot farther. Thx you !!! hope to have an answer weit

TStites
06-27-2006, 04:36 AM
[QUOTE=durrell]Well, as far as the barrel goes you have several options. For that price range I would go with a CP 1 piece personally because you get looks and great functionality.]

I bought a CP 14" 1 Piece and it works good, I would check out where you play and see if any one has a spyder, see if you can test there barrel on your gun. I ask around at the field I Play at and ended up buying my CP 1 piece from a guy for 10 bucks.