PDA

View Full Version : Where did you get into college?

xtraking
12-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Did any of you guys get into college yet?
I just got my first acceptance from Scranton University and was able to get into the DPT program. Along with a fairly nice scholarship.

Woohoooooo

Good luck for all you guys.

DFSniper
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
i could probably have gotten into any college i wanted to (was looking at Sacramento and Colorado State) but ended up doing community college and living at home instead. my tuition came to $1,600 for each semester (about $400 for books), and i got $4000 in grant money, so my schools covered for this year! after i get my AS, depending where my parents go to, i'll either go with them to alaska or washington, or stay here and go to U of L, or move to georgia to be closer to some old friends.

right now im kind of regretting not going straight to a 4 year school (mainly because of my parents and career field), but its one of those decisions i'll have to live with for the rest of my life.

if anyone wants to know the pros and cons to going to a community college, feel free to pm me.

HelpDeskHustler
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
How did you get a response so soon? even the early decision one isn't back for me yet for another week.

on a side note... I got into ITT Tech. :dodgy:

xtraking
12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I find out from all my others in January.

cyberthrasher_706
12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Well, I ended up at a smaller state college and I'm very happy with my decision. I actually know all my instructors and they still remember me from my freshman year even now. I graduated with my associates with honors and now I'm getting my Bachelors of Science in May (Information Systems incase you're wondering) with either a job as a junior admin for the state or a contract consultant for CSC waiting for me when I get my bachelors.

leed
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I haven't gotten in anywhere. I think I'm the only person in my school who didn't apply to any schools Early Decision...

HelpDeskHustler
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
I haven't gotten in anywhere. I think I'm the only person in my school who didn't apply to any schools Early Decision...
eh, if you have good grades you shouldn't worry too hard.

leed
12-12-2007, 08:56 PM
eh, if you have good grades you shouldn't worry too hard.

Define.. "Good grades.."

HelpDeskHustler
12-13-2007, 02:20 AM
By "good" I meant "Asian", and by "grades" I meant "genes". :dodgy:

Like Lots of A's, a couple B's. Challenging classes, teacher recommendations, extra-curriculars.

Drefish99
12-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Did any of you guys get into college yet?
I just got my first acceptance from Scranton University and was able to get into the DPT program. Along with a fairly nice scholarship.

Woohoooooo

Good luck for all you guys.

Teehee Scranton....

*** Laughs at "The Office" reference ***

bamf-hacker
12-13-2007, 07:38 AM
I am in the College of Life.

Lets see.....

I sleep 4-6 hours a night
drink coffee and Mountain Dew all day long
have no money
completely overwhelmed with projects
try to make time for a love life......

Its called a Wife, Kids and a full time job :)

Hoppy11
12-13-2007, 07:43 AM
I finally got a decent amount of sleep last night.. decent meaning 6 hours. Last two weeks of my life I have spent up in my studio finishing my final project which you can see in the pictures thread. Getting maybe 3 hours of sleep everything. But now its done and now its 30 days of friends, girls, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and beer.

Oh yeah.. Im a sophmore at Lawrence Technological University.

TheRedBarron
12-13-2007, 07:47 AM

Lets see.....

have no money

I got more sleep and more of a love life while in college...

durrell
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I got into Mount Olive College, which is a small private college 20 minutes away, within a week of applying. :)

I sent an application into NC State, but I haven't sent my transcripts in. I don't plan to go there but I may still send my transcripts in to see if I can get accepted.

I'll have my 2 year degree from the local community college by next summer. I love the community college. If I could get the same job with a degree from there as I could with a BS from a university, I'd never leave the CC.

DFSniper
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
D, i have a friend who graduated a year early and got accepted to UNC and NC State. she ended up going to UNC :p just thought i'd throw that out for ya!

and i agree. community college gives you the exact same education as a 4 year college, but at a much cheaper price. for a full year, im paying about $4000 and about $800 in books. my friends that i graduated with are all paying around $16,000 a year.

durrell
12-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I pay around 600 dollars in tuition per semester and then the normal 400 or so in books. :)

Ya, at least with me going to MOC I can keep my Tarheel blood. I was born and raised that way, and I intend to stay that way. Me going to NCSU would be the equivalent of Hoppy going to OSU as a Michigan fan..:eek:

DFSniper
12-13-2007, 01:12 PM
$600 per semester? mine are $135 per credit hour (in-state tuition :yay:)!

durrell
12-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I paid 532 for 12 hours this semster. 44.33 per credit hour. :D

calebh
12-13-2007, 02:08 PM
i'm at tulane. i love it. even with a scholarship worth more in one year than what most of my friends will pay for all 4 years of college, i pay out the butt. but i wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

battlechaser
12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Went to Mobile Dynamics (Toronto Campus)...

Near $6,000 (for two months... !?!?!?!?) including all course manuals. Not including rent.... :S

But it was a good experience. :)

cyberthrasher_706
12-13-2007, 11:20 PM

I have all the same stuff, plus 21 credits and straight A's. Why am I awake right now???
I pay just over 2 grand a semester and we're constantly rated the best 4 yr college in the west. That's gotta say something. And to think, the main reason I applied here at the humble age of, however old I was, 22 I think, is because I lived behind the presidents house and could walk to any class in 5 minutes. Now there's like 5 different Network admin jobs that they want me for and I have to tell them they need to wait until I graduate unless they can do with part time. Guess I got my choices cut out for me.

newkid
12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
on a side note... I got into ITT Tech. :dodgy:

Lucky! I hope I can get into there :dodgy:

Hoppy11
12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Im not even going to start talking about how much I pay for college.

cyberthrasher_706
12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey HelpDesk, Do you know if ITT is a CISCO Academy yet? What are you planning on going into? Personally I'm getting kind of bored working helpdesk, I like it but I'm a CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) and that's what I really want to do right now, I just have to wait until I'm not a student anymore than they'll probably hire me as the Junior Admin here on campus or I can go work at one of the hospitals, I don't know for sure what I'm doing. I just have to stay focused on the 21 credits next semester.

timbertiger20
12-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Lewiston Idaho..............LOL.......it's an alright college.......come to think of it I have been to all 3 colleges in Northern Idaho.......my favorite by far was NIC! Go down to BK paintball and ask Gen to shoot the Droid!

oldironmudder
12-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Nashville Auto Diesel College

I paid just over $20,000 for everything. Last time i heard about the price to live on campus like I did it was pushing $40k & that was less than 2 years ago. I was there in '05-'06

vikingshadow
12-15-2007, 02:52 AM

Lets see.....

have no money

I got more sleep and more of a love life while in college...

QFT X 2, literally!

I got more sleep partying, erhm, studying, all the time when I got my first degree because I was single then. On my second degree, I had a wife and a kid, so got a little (see, LOTS LESS) sleep working, studying and taking care of the little one...

Now, about 5 hours is normal - if I fall asleep on the couch in the evening, which is pretty normal. The only bad thing is I can't stand coffee and I'm not allowed to drink soda anymore... but just like college, I have no money, am completely swamped with projects and such and have NO love life! :eek:

But my loans are all paid off now! :thumbup:

cyberthrasher_706
12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Lewiston Idaho..............LOL.......it's an alright college.......come to think of it I have been to all 3 colleges in Northern Idaho.......my favorite by far was NIC! Go down to BK paintball and ask Gen to shoot the Droid!
Well, They've brought me along way. I've done some research and found that I wouldn't get anywhere near the education I have now in my field if I went anywhere else.
I don't have any money to go to BK now, I just spent $500 dollars on presents. Something funny about that, BK moved down to Lombard's Music and a new paintball shop (FTW Paintball) moved into BK's old place. I think they did it to steal the customers who didn't know BK moved. They're also opening up another field. Man, now I want some money to go to BK.

The Pumper
12-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I got accepted into MCC. Rochester, NY
So, I'm excited to go there. Only go 2 yrs..maybe more.

HelpDeskHustler
12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey HelpDesk, Do you know if ITT is a CISCO Academy yet? What are you planning on going into? Personally I'm getting kind of bored working helpdesk, I like it but I'm a CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) and that's what I really want to do right now, I just have to wait until I'm not a student anymore than they'll probably hire me as the Junior Admin here on campus or I can go work at one of the hospitals, I don't know for sure what I'm doing. I just have to stay focused on the 21 credits next semester.
are you serious? because I wasn't.

Hob Hayward
12-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Only place I've heard from so far is WPI, got in there, but I'm not surprised. I'm shootin for MIT, but that's a reach, even for those with 2400's on their SAT's (like a friend of mine, who just got deffered). I didn't do EA there though, so I'll find out in a couple months....

cyberthrasher_706
12-15-2007, 07:38 PM
are you serious? because I wasn't.
NO, not really. I just don't miss an opportunity to talk down ITT, or DeVry. It just screamed opportunity, especially with your name. Sorry. Hell, If I remember right most of their curriculum isn't even really technology anymore.

timbertiger20
12-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, They've brought me along way. I've done some research and found that I wouldn't get anywhere near the education I have now in my field if I went anywhere else.
I don't have any money to go to BK now, I just spent $500 dollars on presents. Something funny about that, BK moved down to Lombard's Music and a new paintball shop (FTW Paintball) moved into BK's old place. I think they did it to steal the customers who didn't know BK moved. They're also opening up another field. Man, now I want some money to go to BK.

Gen's got some field plans for the summer! I'm not sure about what FTW did but........BK has always been good to me!

leed
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Didn't want to start a thread, I see no need to. But since people should be hearing more now..

Applied:

University of North Carolina: Charlotte - Mechanical Engineering
North Carolina State University - First Year College
Union College - Mechanical Engineering
Michigan Technological University - Mechanical Engineering
Southern Polytechnic State University - Mechanical Engineering
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Mechanical Engineering

Accepted:
Everything but Virginia Tech.

Denied:
Virginia Tech

5 for 6, woot.

xtraking
03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
AZNDAVE! Where you going bud?

Hossy
03-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Those are good schools Dave! Congrats....
Right now im in PA looking at Penn State for college visits. I guess ima start applying to colleges in the fall. oh boy :dodgy:

colonel_moo
03-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Leed, you applied to Union but not RPI!? shame on you!

badlandsrox
03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
$600 per semester? mine are $135 per credit hour (in-state tuition :yay:)!

135/hr? thats cheap, the one im trying to get into is $1100 per credit hour, and the other is 800 or 900 some $ per credit hour.

xtraking
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Those are good schools Dave! Congrats....
Right now im in PA looking at Penn State for college visits. I guess ima start applying to colleges in the fall. oh boy :dodgy:

You aren't going to look at Scranton are you?

colonel_moo
03-24-2008, 02:34 PM
135/hr? thats cheap, the one im trying to get into is $1100 per credit hour, and the other is 800 or 900 some $ per credit hour.

I pay about $1100 / credit hour. it sucks.

HelpDeskHustler
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Applied/Accepted

Miami University (Oxford :dodgy: I shouldn't even have to clarify)
University of Dayton
University of Cincinnati
Rose-Hulman
Carnegie-Mellon
Wright State

Acepted to all but Carnegie-Mellon, but I didn't really expect to get in. Rose-Hulman I got into probably on my Grandpa's donations since he went there and he donates a fair amount yearly.

Also I'm really excited because I get to be in ITT Tech's class of November '08! :dodgy:

leed
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Leed, you applied to Union but not RPI!? shame on you!
Actually, they were one of my top choice schools (alongside Carnegie Mellon), but I looked at their acceptance statistics, and didn't think there was any way I could get into it.

AZNDAVE! Where you going bud?
I have no clue yet.

colonel_moo
03-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Judging by the schools you got into, you probably would have been accepted, although the MechE program is slightly more competitive. It never hurts to apply! Haha, oh well, you have a good looking list there, you'll be happy any any of them.

DFSniper
03-24-2008, 06:34 PM

yeah, but durrell and i are going to community colleges.

this summer i'll probably start looking at schools to transfer to. right now my list is: anywhere in Colorado, University of Fairbanks, Washington State, or Georgia Southern.

chubb0rz
03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Yay for art schools...probably the only one going to one on here.

Art Institute of Ft Lauderdale

durrell
03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
yeah, but durrell and i are going to community colleges.

Truth. Smartest choice you can make, in my opinion. Although if you're looking for the whole dorm/4 years of college experience, then of course community college can't factor into that.

I applied to Mount Olive College for Computer Science and was accepted with a partial scholarship. But (pending my acceptance) I'm going to East Carolina University for a major in IT security. I will have a 2 year degree this summer and will only have 3-4 semesters left to get my four year.

Hoppy11
03-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Doc, it may be a smart choice but not an option for everyone. If I would have gone to a CC I would be so far behind in my schooling. Because architecture is such a specific field the gen ed classes are basically pointless. Now yes I could have taken the physics and english classes but what most people do not know about private colleges is that they can deny any credits you have previous taken. So unless I would have gotten the classes approved before I took the classes it could have been a waste of time and money. I did not know that they could do this before I started going here too so I would have been alittle PO'd.

Not trying to bash you just trying to warn others if they are thinking of a private college.. CHECK INTO EVERYTHING!!!!

durrell
03-25-2008, 07:17 AM
You're right about that. But I did what you said and checked into everything before taking them. Not all of my credits will be accepted but many of them will.

Hoppy11
03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Well you are one of the few lol. Just an example my very good friend here at school is now 25, but half a year ahead of me. Im 20. Just thinking about the money and the time is scary. Tons of people are married by 25 possibly having kids! He is still a junior in college. He could care less because he is still having the time of his life and definantly doens't want kids lol.

Just an example for those youngins out there looking at college options. It really is the rest of your life and will basically lay the outline for you.

Nervous yet?

HelpDeskHustler
03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Get good grades. Seriously. It's not that hard, I slacked off for almost all my high school career, riding on my high test scores, and it really doesn't pay off.

1. It's not that good of a show, it can wait.
2. It's not that good of a party, it can wait.
3. It's not that good of a game, it can wait.

Do your work, do it right.

number 2 especially, if you really think I'm wrong on number 2, you're a tool. High school parties are lame. Grow up, stop drinking.

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Applied to
Georgia Tech
Alabama
Auburn
Southern Poly
Uconn
Accepted to ALL

DFSniper
03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
i have to agree with hoppy's last couple of posts. outside of kentucky, i'm not sure how many of my credits will transfer where i WANT to go... Washington has trimesters, and Georgia has a completely different curriculum. also, i'm thinking about switching majors, because i'm failing calc 1 due to all the theoretical math. i love standard physics, but the calculus is messing me up. i have no idea what i'd switch into, but if i do switch, i'll end up throwing away some of my classes :(

xtraking
03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd be wasting time going to CC because I'm doing PT.

Mom got an associates degree in nursing from our local CC and is now making bank at Hopkins.

All depends on what you do and what your CC has to offer.

chubb0rz
03-26-2008, 02:18 PM
All depends on what you do and what your CC has to offer.

I agree with that alot. Local CC's around here aren't as up to date as classes I take at my school. Also sometimes the curriculum and teachers are lacking since it is a CC, in my area at least.