PDA

View Full Version : starting up the team

LostCause
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
alright first off, thank yall for being patient with my recent amount of questions.

Second off, do you have any tips/helpfull hints for starting up a 5 man team.
As of right now most of us shot ions,(maybe a 06 ego), and me with the piolt acs(as of right now, saving for a species timmy, or a pmr/ul, which right now are bout same price, $25ish cheaper for pmr). So yeah we have a wide range of guns, though we all can shoot decently, and we are all determined and mentaly fit (if you run track you have to be specaily since we are all 400 runners :()

Secondly, should we try to get some sponsherships now? or should we wait it out? Thats just my own lil question :)

We would be practeing at least twice a month (we are all active in sports, and have jobs or getting jobs) we all run and workout qutie often (3-5 times a weak, upper, lower, core fulbody, agilites...light weight high reps and high weight low reps, so we all know what were doing lifting wise, since two of us are former football players)

Also, we have a coach, (track coach, who happens to used to be a a former semipro player) and we all wacth paintball whenever we get a chance. So any words of adivice???THank yall so much for time and everything, still the best community here, yall so helpfull (and yes I say yall....)

Thanks,
LostCause

Hossy
12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I copied this out of my sig, sorry Im kinda sick and cant seem to read the whole thing. This should help out a little bit

Starting a team is a great way to have fun in the sport, as well as to learn the sport, and meet new people. To start, i have a few steps:

STEP 1: Organize 5 to 15 paintballers you know and trust. Everyone should have his or her own equipment.

STEP 2: Play together and talk about organizing a team. Do you all have similar motivations and expectations?

STEP 3: Decide on a captain and a name for your team. The captain should be the most organized player, and a good leader, not necessarily the best player.

STEP 4: Find a 'Home Field' to practice at. Here could be your first potential sponsor, and you should get to know the people.

STEP 5: Play in local Tourneys, get your name out, as well as have fun. But with all this fun your having, id suggest to win a few games, because you never know whos watching!

STEP 6: Seek Sponsorship, to know more about how to get sponsored, read below.

HOW TO GET SPONSORSHIP

You may think that sponsorship is a thing where someone pays for some of your gear, paint, or whatever. It isnt, unless its from your parents. Sponsorship is a 2 way deal, between your team and whoever is sponsoring you. It is nessessary to make a little 'team resume' or something that shows what you can help, or anything, and what your team has to offer, as well as everything youve played in and the results from the contest. If your sponsor is your field, you will probably have to ref for your sponsorship. It isnt bad...

Other sponsorship deals could be discounts from the store/dealer. It isnt bad, but you will need to pay for the gear, but at a discounted price. Any sponsorship in Paintball is rewarding...so play hard guys!

The Pumper
12-11-2007, 05:04 AM
If you want a quick "sponsorship", go with Redz or affordable paint. ;)

LostCause
12-11-2007, 02:24 PM
doesnt have to be quick , we are all devotd hard workers, so we will get through that.

Home field...check :D
Also thanks so much for the tips, if yall think of anything else please let me know, THanks so much for the help, we will tell yall how we do!

LostCause
12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
another question....whats a goodway to write up a team resume???? Sorry for all the questions (im the defacto cpt as of right now, since im the one trying to orgainze everything)

Once again thank yall so much.

mv540
12-13-2007, 01:25 PM
your coach was a semipro paintballer?

LostCause
12-13-2007, 02:31 PM
yup, intill he messed up his knee playing and had to have surgey, also helps he was most of the guys on the team track coach.

mv540
12-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, then you dont need our help...well atleast mine....you gat all that experience and knowledge from him.

lucky you:rolleyes:

I wish I had a coach when I started my team.

Well, sponsorship...first win some tournaments, and then hit some emails to the different pb companies.

LostCause
12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
haha his other motive is to light us up....

his theroy"if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a paintball" jk...though i told them that he'll teach us like that. lol. And hes bloody quick :( guess im going to get bunkered at the bloody carwash alot....

Team Under Dawgs
12-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I have a 3 man team and we tryin to get sponsers and our team jerseys any suggestion? We have not been able to get to the tourney levels yet we're still practicing but at the same time how can I find out when a tourn. is in my state? We live in Texas and Dont really know bout any touraments...

vikingshadow
12-29-2007, 05:16 PM
There's a big forum in Texas called www.flagstation.com that covers a lot of Texas stuff including tournaments. If I understand correctly, Oklahoma is about to explode with tournaments - a possible series and then all the 3 man and 5 man tourneys coming up. Should be a good summer for tournaments if you're willing to venture into our state - not exactly sure where you are in Texas, but it's a thought.

Since you haven't played any tournaments yet, don't expect a lot of sponsorship. Shoot, when Catalyst first started (my old team) our first sponsors were United, Walls, and a local oilfield company. We also got our local field to cut us some deals on uniforms and gear, so they were a bit of a sponsor as well. We played a few tournaments, won a couple of them, then started getting paintball sponsorships.

I've gotten a lot of sponsors over the past few years. Most will only give you a percentage off on things - and it's usually not that much. It really burned me out living up to their expectations, and not my own. This year, I'm not doing the sponsor search thing. I quit coaching and being a captain and the general sponsor seeker. I'm only playing for fun, and right now, we only have two sponsors - our field (our captain actually runs the field) and we have a paint sponsorship - well, 2-3 real possibilites right now, anyways. We just have to decide which one we want and can use for the PSP this year.

My advice? Don't go into this game looking for sponsors - it just ruins the game. Instead, go into it to have fun, not finish last, and meet some new people. When you start thinking sponsors, that's when it begins to be a job. Some of the best teams I've seen on local circuits were teams that didn't have matching clothes, guns and gear. They had the most fun also! The sponsorships will come, once you get some tournaments under your belt.

Have fun!

LostCause
12-29-2007, 05:39 PM
yeah, our team decided right now, our best bet is to go out, and have fun and shoot.(i got my shooting in today...snap shooting....wow......burns cals...)