PDA

View Full Version : What size is the "rail" on the carry handle

SkinWalk3r
12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I bought one of the TRUGLO sights and want to mount it directly onto the carry handle. My sight wont sit on it. TOO big. What would I need to convert it ?

SpyderMan723
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I bought one of the TRUGLO sights and want to mount it directly onto the carry handle. My sight wont sit on it. TOO big. What would I need to convert it ?

Show me what it looks like

I've never heard of it

alabama_lowlife
12-08-2007, 09:41 PM
i think it is a 3/8" dove tail. what you bought probably needs a 7/8" weaver....i think that is the correct term, somebody please correct me if i'm wrong. did you try mounting it directly to the gun after removing the sight rail? i realize that it will be too low to use this way, but it's how i had to mount my red dot sight until i can do something differently.

SkinWalk3r
12-09-2007, 07:23 AM
i think it is a 3/8" dove tail. what you bought probably needs a 7/8" weaver....i think that is the correct term, somebody please correct me if i'm wrong. did you try mounting it directly to the gun after removing the sight rail? i realize that it will be too low to use this way, but it's how i had to mount my red dot sight until i can do something differently.

nope. I kinda knew that might work, but for the same reason you stated it would be too low. I wanted it on the sight rail to elevate it.

alabama_lowlife
12-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Here's (http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/360568) an adapter to go from 3/8" dovetail to weaver. not sure if it's worth $23 though. what kind of truglo sight did you get?

SkinWalk3r
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
It got the dual color model # TG8030DB. It is regularly $49.99 but it was on sale (at Dunhams Sports)for 29.99 so I snagged it. Heck thats a good deal as it even comes with the flip up covers. I looked at the BSA ones and the quality of construction was poor.

this is just a link to one
http://www.swfa.com/pc-11173-1673-new-truglo-1x30-dual-color-red-dot-sight.aspx

slim and shady
12-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah you do need to convert your 3/8 dove tail to a 7/8 weaver there are alot of pics of my gun on "post a pic of your MR2" or "homemade mods and equiptment" if you want to see a pic.

What I did is I bought a 7/8 walther weaver kit and drilled and tapped the 3/8 dove tail so that I could mount the rail right on top of it for the extra hight. I got the rail for basicaly nothing off ebay like 3$ including shipping. works great and its strong. I could always go back to the 3/8 if i got a different sight and needed to anyway. You could probably do a similer setup. Or just buy the peice for 23$

darth massacre
12-10-2007, 02:27 AM
What you need is one of these.

http://www.trinitypaintball.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR+231

Either that or you remove that tiny 3/4 rail from the 20mm rail - mount your sight directly on that and cut the top end of your stock so you can use your truglo without having to raise it to eye level via a riser rail like the one I posted above. OR you could settle for an offset rail that is 20mm (7/8) - there are tonnes of workarounds for your problem, some cost money, some require work.

Personally I'd go with the riser rail - there are some that cost 25 bucks or so - and you don't have to make any cutting modifications to your MR2.

SkinWalk3r
12-10-2007, 05:54 AM
dart... what I ended up doing was drilling (dremel drill press) the sight/carry rail. I am mounting this small weaver piece (1 inch long) on it. Then the sight onto it. This is the cheapest way and least weight too...thanks for the suggestions guys. I post pics soon.

slim and shady
12-10-2007, 04:45 PM
dart... what I ended up doing was drilling (dremel drill press) the sight/carry rail. I am mounting this small weaver piece (1 inch long) on it. Then the sight onto it. This is the cheapest way and least weight too...thanks for the suggestions guys. I post pics soon.

Thats exactly what I was talking about in my previous post

SkinWalk3r
12-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Thats exactly what I was talking about in my previous post

and I thank you for putting the seed of thought in my head .:)

slim and shady
12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
NP glad I helped be sure to throw up pics.