PDA

View Full Version : Christmas music

Paintballadict18
12-05-2007, 09:34 PM
no this is thread is not about the jingle bell rock its more of a

what guitar would u prefer?
Epiphone G-400, my local music shop is selling a black one used from the store owner himself $200 good condition a couple of bumps here and there
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=16

or a brand spankin new Ibanez RG5EX1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc

im into heavy metal and rock and what not and ive been playing on a fender squire for over a year now and i really need a new guitar that can rip

and as for pickups i will be getting EMGs for either one
iknow its mostly on my personal prefrence of wich feels more comfortable, wich i am going to test when i go for my lesson on saturday but i just want opinions

cyberthrasher_706
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, if you happened upon the thread that New Kid started, which it sounds like you have, you've probably seen my view. Actually sounds like the Ibanez is more your style, though either will be a step up in the metal direction. That Ibanez is a sweet guitar. Ibanez has 24 frets, SG has 22 which gets you some higher range off of the Ibanez. Brand new that SG is 299 on musicians friend. Ibanez is 399. I personally would take the SG just for my style and love of Gibson but you may prefer the sound the the Ibanez with all it's crunch and distortion. Just remember that guitar was popularized heavily by KORN and than bands like Chimaira used them for a while, just to give you an idea of the type of sound. The SG is a cheap version of Tony Iommi's guitar.

Drefish99
12-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Ibanez is secksy

Hossy
12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Jingle Bell Rock?

its all about how Grandma got run over by a reindeer!

I agree with Dre

Paintballadict18
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
also there is no such thing as a wammy bar on the sg? cause i kinda want this wammy bar the stretches round the bottom and sits next to ur leg so all u have to do it move the guitar in a sideways motion and it bends for u so ur hands are free and the lock nut on the ibanez, my teacher said its annoying what do u guys think?

tater_salad
12-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I <3 Ibanez's.

Ace24
12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm selling a guitar.. :p

cyberthrasher_706
12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I've never found it annoying. It's more annoying when you lose your tune because when you bend or use the whammy you pull the strings off of their post. There's a reason most of the 80's/90's speed players have used a locking nut. No, the SG doesn't come with a whammy. what you're talking about is what's usually called something like a "String Bender", looks like this
http://www.musiconeworkshop.com/images/custombender.jpg
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/780/603669.JPG

You might rather go for a Bigsby, which doesn't require such extreme mods to your guitar. Or if you really want a whammy you could just put a different bridge on it that will take the whammy and you'll have to do a little bit of work on the back side to put the springs in. Bottom line is if you're going to bend than either get a locking nut (which can be installed on the SG) or invest in some very high quality strings so they'll last a little longer. Also, when it comes to string bending, B.B. King has the best technique for putting strings on: Wrap the entire string around the post, not just the minimum required. Think of your strings like a whip or something, the more turns around the post the better they'll hold through the bending. I might be able to find some diagrams of exactly how to do it. PM me if you want me to scan it or something.

colonel_moo
12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Ibanez if you are into metal, definately

cyberthrasher_706
12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Ibanez if you are into metal, definately

Ever hear of a little band called Black Sabbath??? How about Zakk Wylde??? There have been more metal bands that use Gibson/Epiphone than there have been Ibanez guitars. Not saying anything against Ibanez but I'm just pointing out that the guitar doesn't make the style, the musician does. You can get just as much sound out of an SG as you can an Ibanez.

Paintballadict18
12-09-2007, 10:59 AM
wel since i started out on fender im used to their necks, the epiphone didnt feel right so im going for the ibanez

And thanks for all your inputs

cyberthrasher_706
12-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Cool, I'm glad you chose based on comfort.