PDA

View Full Version : HDTV help

shunut
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
My mom and I had been discussing what to get my dad for Christmas. The only 2 things we could think of was Tickets to the Daytona 500 and a Plasma TV. After researching both of them, we discovered that they were both way to expensive. Then, the very next day, my mom's old boss called and said I have a guy who needs a Website built super fast, he is paying $3500. So, we took the job, got it done faster than he expected, so he is paying us $5000. It was like a sign, now we could afford something awesome for Christmas and really blow him away. We've decided to go with the TV. He had looked at Plasmas a while ago and said he liked their picture better than any of the other TVs (So don't suggest a different TV). We've done our research and found the TV we are going to get, a 50" Samsung 1080p. So here is my question and the point of this thread...

What else do we need to hook everything up? I'm guessing there are some different cables I need for HD. We are getting a new DirectTV box, so we have that taken care of. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

WhatThaSmurf
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Al I know is that it takes different cables from the standard RCA cables, but those should come with the box if you specify that it is for an HD TV. If not, they do not cost that moch at an electronics store.

I still think DLP is better though...

marvin-martian
12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
yes, you need hd cables so the picture will show in hd (when you select the right channels of course), you will need a new cable box that has those hd channels along with the regular ones. then in order to watch movies in hd, you will need a new player (HDDVD or Bluray). bluray players are quite expensive though...

so to sum it up, you need cables, a box, and a movie player.

WhatThaSmurf
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Or a 360 with an HD drive or PS3.

sphven
12-05-2007, 11:24 AM
my family has a plasma with the directv receiver and i would suggest getting an HDMI cable (I know monster puts out a nice version of varying lengths) for the best quality picture and also make sure you are signed up to receive the HD channels, i can't remember if they were seperate

The Pumper
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
I have a 46" i think tv and direct tv...only thing that has changed was the direct tv box from time warner cable from a while ago...

So it shouldnt be too much of a challenge.

Critical
12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
HDMI cable(s)
wall mount
HD package from service provider
HD/bluray DVD player (not recommended until they decide on a format)
receiver & surrond sound speakers (HD picture can look great, but having a good audio system will really complete the experience

shunut
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
LIke I said above, we have the HD DirectTV Box/TiVo taken care of, as well as signing up for that service. I will get an HDMI cable (Thanks sphven and critical). We have a decent surround sound system but its kind of old and I'm guessing my dad is going to want a new one. However, we decided since we are picking out the TV we are going to let him pick out the new surround sound system. My mom doesn't want to wall mount it so she found a new entertainment center that a 50" will fit in. It has special supports in it to prevent the TV from tipping over. The DVD player we'll leave for my dad as well. I've seen a lot of surround sound systems that come with the DVD player so we'll wait until and let him pick that out too.

Thanks guys!

TheRedBarron
12-05-2007, 06:05 PM
my family has a plasma with the directv receiver and i would suggest getting an HDMI cable (I know monster puts out a nice version of varying lengths) for the best quality picture and also make sure you are signed up to receive the HD channels, i can't remember if they were seperate

HDMI= the best.

Just make sure DTV knows that it is for a HDTV they should bring you component cables, if you choose you can swap them out for HDMI if you find that you like that picture better (which I think you will).

timbertiger20
12-05-2007, 06:12 PM
You still have enough left over for Vegas tickets and lodging and that's an exceptional race. Doesn't have the prestige of Daytona and my Driver doesn't perform as well there but it's a hell of a show! Stomps PIR into the mud! No comparison and I've been to each 3 times!