PDA

View Full Version : A little help please in picking an "open" tyep RED Dot sight..

SkinWalk3r
12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I really dont want to spend a lot of money. I am looking for a fair trade off between Utility and looks. I am looking for the framed open type red dot sight. Not the tubular scoped looking one. What confuses me is the marked variation in prices. They seem to range from $ 15.00 to $60-70 bucks. Any one recommend a specific kind or brand for my MR2 please ?

darth massacre
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Trinity has one under 20 bucks:
http://www.trinitypaintball.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR+227

Opsgear has a couple. Major Airsoft retailers may have them too. They are mostly over 45 bucks with most of them falling into the 45-60 range. IMO if you need one, might as well pay the average to get one that is a bit more robust - though I personally haven't seen the Trinity one so can't say how well built it is.

SkinWalk3r
12-05-2007, 04:54 AM
why the difference in price though ?

darth massacre
12-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Eh, personally I dunno. The higher end ones (above 100 bucks) are definitely proper brands that law enforcement/military uses but we weekend warriors don't really need the kind of reliability they do. But I'd pay 50 bucks to get something that's a bit more robust. Don't forget though, red dot scopes that are waterproof are easier to clean if hit by paint. Open type sights I'm not sure coz I don't have one.

KingTutBaller
12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
I have an Adco Hotshot, and would reccomend it to -anyone-. I don't have an exact price cuz I bought it off off of ebay, it came in a box with a ton of other parts, I got about 100 dollars in parts (some new) and paid less than half of that with shipping. Google it for some good info on it. It's very durable, it's taken some direct shots and wiped clean. It's the open frame you're looking for. Decent on batteries, I've left it on overnight several times and it's kept going, I think I've used 2 batteries all year, which cost maybe 7 bucks for a pack of 2.
it also sits and fits very nicely on the rail that comes with the mr2. (and looks sexy enough too, haha)
I think you should be able to find one for around 25 dollars.

About the expensive sort, my brother uses a Leupold red dot, and THAT little beauty is a high end red dot, even for hunting, so it's definately overkill (but it didn't fit the shotgun :D) so yeah, you obviously get the impression that it's built like a brick, but honestly for paintball purposes, the HotShot should suit you and your gun pretty well.

Hob Hayward
12-08-2007, 08:15 AM
I have an NCStar 30mm red dot on my CCI phantom, I paid like $40 shipped for it from ebay, Its got a full alum body and is completely watertight.

Hasn't taken a hit yet, but the thing is solid, and works really well. Hasn't let me down yet.