PDA

View Full Version : Sports Scholarship Q

badlandsrox
12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyone know how i would go about applying for a sports scholarship? or more specifically a hockey scholarship. as far as i know, scholarships for sports are usually done through scouting, however as i live in a small town, with only a grassroots team (outdoor, limited slapshots, and only incidental contact), however i do feel that i would have a chance at a scholarship (hat trick per game, plus i am by far the fastest skater in the leauge at the moment, although this also is not the hugest feat as there are only 4 teams), i did play competitive for a year, but the closest team was an hour away, adn they practised every other day at another town an hour from there, meaning i was travelling 2 hours for practises, and up to eight hours for games, and even there i was in the top few of players, at the moment i spend about almost 40 hours per week at our community arena skating (well not gonna lie, about 1/5th of that is sitting in my car warming up as the temperatures mid january can be almost forty below), but back to the question, how would i be able to be scouted for potentially the NHL, or a hockey scholarship, with the fact that I have to play grassroots (the closest town to us requires players to be in the city limits, which i am about 3 miles out of, which is still too much, and the only other competitive hockey team being so far away? would a scout even entertain the idea of scouting these kinds of games under those conditions? How would I go about getting scouted, is there like an application for scouting, or is it just scouts watching the high ke?y AAA tournaments in the states, and the national Tourneys in canada

pb34
12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, I can tell you from experience, I'm a goalie and I've played AAA hockey for the past 5 years now and what I've learned is you need to be in the right place at the right time. You've gotta get out there and get yourself noticed. I was scouted at a big tournament in Chicago for the USHL (the premier junior hockey league in the US). Basically what I'm saying is that scouts are very likely to be found at these high level tournaments.

badlandsrox
12-04-2007, 06:54 PM
How would i go about getting to a tournament though if i play for such a small team though... the only "tournament" we have is the 3 teams in the league getting together and playing a round robin format, and then a championship game.

pb34
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
The only thing I could think of is going back to play for one of those bigger more well known teams. I know it's a pain in the neck to drive that far but I can't really see any other way a scout would be able to see you.

Just a random question, do you by any chance know of the Toronto Junior Canadians?

badlandsrox
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
uhh, no, i tend to distance myself from all things toronto :P lol. and the other problem with the fact that driving is a pain, is that often the road gets closed to there in the winter, so id be missing the odd practise, as well as they arent that well known themselves, only a higher level team, whos only won their division once (totally unrelated, but incedently that was the year i played... although that was before i was as good as i am now, and was just getting into playing competitive hockey so i was put on the second line for most of the season till i started getting into the groove of the whole competitive stuff). Do you think if i was to like contact the local NHL teams head of scouting he would be able to steer me in the right way, or for college, send in an audition tape of sorts?

pb34
12-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think you would be able to contact the NHL scouts. They're not the type of people who will look at any person. You could talk to any of the hockey coaches at the colleges you're looking at and possibly send them tapes. Every once and a while you might get a coach to send someone and see you play.

Hossy
12-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Im not a hockey player, but I know what you have to do for basketball.

First off, you have to have your head on your shoulders, and not be a complete idiot. If your going to play on a new team to play in bigger and better tournaments/games, Make sure that you have a personal relationship with everyone on the team. Im not saying you have to be best friends with them but you have to encourage all, and not get on their 'bad side'. Scouts dont just come up and talk to you, they go through parents, coaches, and refferees too. Be polite, nice, and dont use alot of foul language, and youll look good there.

You have to get on a better team. What your on now is like a D3 team. How many D3 schools send players to the next level? Not many. You have to understand that If you have a superstar on your team, people will want to watch them. If they show up and want to watch Mr. Super Skater #1, and you show up for the game, you can become on the schools/scouts radars.

Get your parents to record videos of you doing plays. You want a "highlight reel' to an exent but nothing much. Some colleges have a specific address to send these types of things to. Try that.

NHL scouts are like trying to Date Pamela Anderson. You have a chance, but where your playing and the effort you've put into playing in a small league/small team, you have a lesser chance as others. Think of getting these scouts as applying for a job almost. You have 100000000000 other people competing for the spots you want. You better work that much harder than everyone else, polish yourself, prove yourself, and have good references (like what I mentioned before) to back you up