PDA

View Full Version : Kramer Guitars

newkid
12-04-2007, 06:31 PM
What do you guys think/know about Kramer guitars? I know they are made by gibson but that's about it.

cyberthrasher_706
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I said they're ok for one reason, so don't let that sway you to much. I'm a Les Paul guy and I love the tone the comes out of em. Kramer's have been used since their birth as one of the go to heavy metal/ lead guitars. Basically you have to models of guitar on the market, the strat/tele knockoff and the Les Paul knockoff. This is a les paul knockoff, without the intense sustain and warm tones that come with the body/pickup combination of a Les Paul. All in all, it's actually a great guitar for electric lead style. If you want those pretty blues tones than you'll probably need some petal assistance. There are many things to look at. Most lead guitars, like Jackson and Kramer are going to have a large scale neck which means 24+ frets which really allows you to get those high notes. You'll also want to think about what kind of pickups you're looking at. Active pickups, quite common on this type of guitar, are powered by a watch battery and sometimes they die but you'll get a huge sound out of them. Do you want single coil pickups, Humbuckers, or a combination. These are all things you'll want to look at since Kramer's have all these different things. I'm assuming you're looking at one in particular so you probably don't really have an option in all this. Unless you're just learning, you can't go wrong if it's got a straight neck and six strings. All guitars have a different sound, from the cheap ones to the expensive ones. I've played some 3-5 thousand dollar guitars that sounded like crap than grabbed a $100 pawn shop special and got blown away so you just have to play it and decide if you like how it sounds. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, Go for it!!

badlandsrox
12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Speaking of guitars (and sorry to sorta hijack your thread a lil), that new Les Paul robot looks kinda neat.

HelpDeskHustler
12-05-2007, 03:25 AM
I heard those guitars were racist.

newkid
12-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks cyberthrasher for the info, I'm still just a learned and need a better electric than I have (epiphone les paul jr) and I really like wammy bars and gibsons. I like that some kramers have 24 frets and as far a pickups go I could go either way single coil or humbuckers. I'm going to buy a used one if I get one and if so probly on ebay.

and BTW the Les Paul robot guitar does sound awsome

cyberthrasher_706
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
well, when it comes to single coil or humbucker, just remember your style. Humbucker gives you more crunch. I haven't had the opportunity to play a jr ( I have a epiphone custom lespaul with wine red finish and gold hardware). I do suggest checking out musicians friend as well, I haven't seen any Kramers but I haven't been looking either. They're usually about the same price as ebay and you get the warranty's and super fast shipping. http://www.musiciansfriend.com
Other similar guitars would be Schecter (that's the next one I'm getting), LTD, and Jackson. Ibanez fits in the same area too but they have quite the wide range of sounds, ranging from Satriani and Steve Vai to Korn and everyother New Metal band, meaning that you'll want to know what the guitar's designed to sound like before you grab one. Just thought I'd remind you that there are similar options out there so you won't be locked into one price range. Most Jacksons also have fine tuning/locking nuts as well to accomodate the string fluctuation you get when you throw a whammy on. What style do you play?

newkid
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I play all kinds of rock like AC/DC and metallica. My uncle has a Jackson with a floyd rose bridge

cyberthrasher_706
12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I play all kinds of rock like AC/DC and metallica. My uncle has a Jackson with a floyd rose bridge
Right On. I'm all hard rock and blues, although I used to pretty much be classified as a metal head. Throw me anything from Black Label Society, Megadeth, Slayer, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Satriani, Vai, etc... and I'm pretty happy. I've kinda been keeping my eyes open for a Jackson at the local pawn shops. There's alot of old 80's guys around my area and I'm sure one will show up but I want to by that beautiful Schecter C-1 Classic first.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=513072)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/6/7/475267.jpg

I played one at the Guitar Center in Spokane and fell in love with it; from those beautiful blues tones to the brutal crunch and screaming leads. And it's got the looks to get all the goupies.

newkid
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I heard those guitars were racist.
What are you talking about?

Anyway that is a sweet schecter, Kramers seem really affordable so I'm liking them a lot.

calebh
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
And it's got the looks to get all the goupies.
i want a goupie. :P

nice guitar, though. personally, i'm a huge fan of ibanez. maybe it's just cuz i'm still playing the one i learned on, but i really like ibanez guitars.

i don't know much about kramer, but if it's the typical slightly-cheaper-knockoff-of-an-awesome-guitar-made-by-the-same-people, it'll be a good guitar.

Paintballadict18
12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
i love that inlay

topher14495
12-07-2007, 05:37 AM
another person not trying to hijack your thread, but...have any of you guys ever heard of the Axstar by Ibanez? I have one (a 4 string headless bass) and I havent played it in years and was wondering what it would be worth.

Thanks for the help.

newkid
12-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I have no idea, I know nothing about basses, but you might have better luck inn a guitar/bass forum

Hob Hayward
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
What are you talking about?

He's referring to seinfeld Kramer...

cyberthrasher_706
12-07-2007, 09:10 PM
i love that inlay
And it's only $699!!! When I was playing it I bust out some Stevie Ray Vaughan and it kinda drew a mini crowd, through a little 5 inch practice amp and there were some metal heads blasting a stack trying to pretend they could play a Razorback that got all mad. It was pretty fun, then it was off to MEGADETH!!

newkid
12-08-2007, 05:48 AM
And if not kramer than what brand/model guitar should I get and I would like to stay at 300 or below (I'm still learning and dont wanna spend a lot of cash). I was also thinking about finding a used fender.

cyberthrasher_706
12-08-2007, 05:55 PM
And if not kramer than what brand/model guitar should I get and I would like to stay at 300 or below (I'm still learning and dont wanna spend a lot of cash). I was also thinking about finding a used fender.
It's pretty hard to find "Fender" at that price range, usually you'll just end up with a squire. Let me pull out my Musicians Friend here. The B.C. Rich Warlock = $180 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Bronze-Series-Warlock-Electric-Guitar?sku=510780)
This has served me well. You might want to have the action lowered but I don't know how it comes stock. When I bought mine it was from a pawn shop and it sat pretty high. There's actually a pretty big selection of B.C. Rich in your price range so just do a search for those and browse through.

Schecter Omen 6 = $299 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=518181).

Dean signature Dave Mustaine V = $299 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNTX-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=515169)

Jackson Kerry King V = $299 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=js30kv)

Jackson Rhandy Rhodes V = $299. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30RR-Rhoads-JS-Electric-Guitar?sku=511564)

Just remember that if you're just starting out and your instrument sounds like crap than you're going to have a harder time staying dedicated. I don't think any of the above should give you any problems but, it's always a good idea to spend a few extra bucks if you have to. Just something to keep in mind. My first electric was a POS Ibanez (it was the model, not the brand) and I hardly played it because I didn't know how to change the setup on it. Now I'd have no problem with it but at the time it kind of held me back. If I'd of spent $50 more I could have gotten a better model and been much happier.

newkid
12-08-2007, 06:52 PM
staying dedicated isnt going to be a problem, at school I take guitar lessons (with my crappy acoustic) so I cant really give it up, but I do understand what you mean.

cyberthrasher_706
12-08-2007, 07:57 PM
staying dedicated isnt going to be a problem, at school I take guitar lessons (with my crappy acoustic) so I cant really give it up, but I do understand what you mean.
Either way, at least there are some pretty good choices right there in your price range and it only gets better from there. I actually started with a POS acoustic I picked up for $13 at a second hand store back when I was 10 and that sounded so bad I never really played that much until I bought that Ibanez when I was like 19 or something and than I still didn't play all that much. Now I have to force myself not to play so I can take care of life and I have a Warlock, Les Paul, Strat, Acoustic/Electric, and soon a Schecter and maybe a couple of old Kramer Knock offs (SLAMMER by Hamer which is by Kramer) that got smoked in a fire.

newkid
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
If I get an electric w/o a whammy bar I also might look into an epiphone SG or les paul

cyberthrasher_706
12-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Personally, I'm not a big fan of whammy's. It's pretty much an over glorified bend. I can bend on any guitar, whammy or not. Throw a wah on top of it and the possibilities are endless.