PDA

View Full Version : for online PC gamers:

DFSniper
12-03-2007, 01:52 PM
ok, last year i signed up to do some beta testing for a new in-game overlay project (i dont know how else to describe it really) that basically combines all your messenger programs, xfire, your media player, and WoWWiki and Thotbot for you WoWheads!. it was orignally designed for clan chats and Thotbot, but they expanded it very quickly. unfortunately, i havent had internet on my gaming pc for a while, so i havent been able to test the beta yet, but its installing as i'm typing this. if i can figure out how to invite people, and theres anyone interested, pm me and i'll see what i can do. here's a public preview for now. it looks promising:

http://www.playxpert.com/web/guest/product

well im gonna run it on 2142 and America's Army to see how its working so far.

Working Review
I'm going to use this section to review PXP as I learn more about it.

Well, as far as widgets right now (the add-ons) it came with were a Google search bar, a Wowhead search bar, a media player control panel (see dislikes section), and a chat client that lets you use AIM, MSN, Yahoo, XFire, ICQ and Google Talk all in one window and in-game. And yes, it should keep track of your XFire stats.

Dislikes:
The only things I don't like so far (beside it being a little buggy) is that when you add a messenger account, it says "name" has added you to their list or whatever, and I have like 80+ screen names on AIM, so I had to hit Alt+F4 80+ times.

The Tunes widget, which is basically an in-game music control panel, only supports Winamp and ITunes, which made me mad because I only use Windows Media Player, so I had to download Winamp, and the control panel only works if you already have Winamp running, which, on second thought, makes sense. But I have media player buttons on my keyboard that does that already.

The menu is too big, they could make it smaller and save a lot of screen space. Also, its transparent when you play, but not transparent enough for me, a custom transparency slider like the TitanBar on WoW would be really useful.

Hob Hayward
12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Looks cool, but I see no advantage over xfire, which I don't see people switching away from any time soon...

HELLS HERO
12-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Looks cool, but I see no advantage over xfire, which I don't see people switching away from any time soon...

I agree, Xfire is great. But I'm glad to see someone is willing to give them some competition.

DFSniper
12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
its not just xfire (which i used to use a lot!) but its AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, and Google Talk too. and yes, it keeps track of your xfire stats too.

the only things i dont like so far (beside it being a little buggy) is that when you add a messenger account, it says "name" has added you to their list or whatever, and i have like 80+ screen names on AIM, so i had to hit Alt+F4 80+ times. and the Tunes widget, which is basically an in-game music control panel, only supports Winamp and ITunes, which made me mad because I'm a WMP guy (i like the user interface better and looking at album art while the song is playing), so i had to download winamp, and the control panel only works if you already have winamp running (which, on second thought, makes sense. but i have media player buttons on my keyboard already).

for WoW, i forgot to mention that they have a Wowhead widget too, which i played around for a little bit with, even though i've gone through WoW detox and havent touched the game in months!

i think i'm going to copy this in the first post and create a working review and edit stuff into the post as i fiddle with it more.

Maxx-Damage
12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Where can i get xfire? Ive been invited to a clan on halo-ce. Dont know if im gonna, but ya never know.

DFSniper
12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
xfire.com

as for the invites, i havent been able to find anything yet, but i'll let you guys know as soon as i do.

my wireless is crappy today, so i kept getting kicked out of 2142, and with PXP on, the overlay messed up the login screen for AA.

two more things i would like to see in the final is a transparency setter and a resizer, because the media controller takes up too much room for just a few buttons and a slider.

DFSniper
12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
ok, for those who want it, go to www.playxpert.com and on the top bar, there should be 3 options, the one on the right is to register. fill out the info and you should be good to go.