PDA

View Full Version : I need some motivation

DFSniper
11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
ok, i really need to find a job and quick. (mainly because my dads trying to kick me out of the house if i dont, and to buy a car and some paintball stuff from the b/s/t section). i've applied to just about every retail business (and some others) around here (home depot, wal-mart, best buy, radio shack, sears, the local security agency, game stop, the on-post stores etc). the only one that ever wrote back/called was radio shack, but i couldn't make the interview because i had class, and the lady said she'd look at other times and get back to me but never did. my parents keep telling me to apply at burger king, because its $9.00+ an hour, and they're pretty much always hiring. i REALLY don't want to work at burger king because honestly, i think i'm too good for that (i dont need to hear "you're never too good for anything" i got that lecture from my ex last night...). i just think that my intelligence could be used more productively than sweeping floors and doing repetitive work. what i want is some input from people that have worked at fast food places and have had positive experiences, or just reasons why burger king is a good place to work.

DRAGON
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
.............. or just reasons why burger king is a good place to work.

Here's some motivation: if you don't reluctantly take the job at BK now, you'll have to, or live out of a shopping cart after you're thrown out on your :butwiggle: Then again, you could always call your dad's bluff and keep on thinkin you're above such a menial position as floor sweeper/Whopper mopper. Nothin like waking up next to a toothless guy named Nasty Nick asking you if you'd like to share the half eaten breakfast taco he found in the dumpster at BK - ;)

For the time being, sounds like you have no rational alternative......yes....no?

WhatThaSmurf
11-30-2007, 10:53 PM
First off, you are too good for Burger King. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Secondly, YOU need to find a job. A job is not going to find YOU. A job is not going to call YOU back. YOU have to call back to get another interview, or a first interview. YOU have to show them that you really want that job, even though you really don't want that particular job (because jobs like these suck and you know it, shoot for GameStop). The only reason I ever worked at GameStop is because I sent in 3 identical applications, and called relentlessly, because that's how I was taught to get a job, and it worked. So get off your ass, pick a couple that you like, and don't give those mother ****ers any way to deny you a job.

DFSniper
11-30-2007, 10:59 PM
you both make really valid points, Drago in particular...

HelpDeskHustler
12-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Here's one. Don't work around people if you know you have no tolerance, I worked at kroger and hated it because I saw so many ****ing stupid people, including one that thought the starbucks ice machine was terrorists crashing a plane. It's all about finding a place you won't mind being at for a couple hours a day.

DFSniper
12-01-2007, 08:10 AM
yeah, thats another problem im facing. burger king may pay better than most entry level jobs, but id rather get paid less doing something i dont mind doing than get paid more at a job i hate. i guess i could always try it out and quit if i can't stand it.

HelpDeskHustler
12-01-2007, 08:13 AM
yeah, thats another problem im facing. burger king may pay better than most entry level jobs, but id rather get paid less doing something i dont mind doing than get paid more at a job i hate. i guess i could always try it out and quit if i can't stand it.
generally parents hate that, FYI.

MVS1
12-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I could go on for hours on this topic but I'm going to try and keep it short. A job is a job, it's an end to a means. At one point in life you will have to do whatever it takes to provide for you or your family, therefore any job that puts food on the table, gas in the tank and pays for your existance is not below you, it's just something your doing while looking for that job that pay's better or is something you would prefer to do.
Now, as for getting that job you want Smurf hit it right on the head, you have to show them that hiring you is going to bring benefit to them or the company, either by your skills/experience or by how proactive you are about working for them, most importantly on how you follow through after the application is submitted. When you submit an application ask if you can possibly do an interview right there on the spot, if not then inquire into how the hiring process works for that company and see if you can take a second of the managers time to ask some questions. The more you appear to be interested in them the better their impression will be of you. Get a phone number that you can call back to check on your application status.
There are tons of other tips but the most important is what you wear, the phrase "dress for success" works and makes a good first/lasting impression.

DFSniper
12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
so far i've taken everything you guys have said into serious consideration. i sent the local field owner and email about reffing there, and next time i'm out i'm going to stop by a few places and ask again about jobs and see about maybe getting an on-campus job.

TheRedBarron
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Here's some motivation: if you don't reluctantly take the job at BK now, you'll have to, or live out of a shopping cart after you're thrown out on your :butwiggle: Then again, you could always call your dad's bluff and keep on thinkin you're above such a menial position as floor sweeper/Whopper mopper. Nothin like waking up next to a toothless guy named Nasty Nick asking you if you'd like to share the half eaten breakfast taco he found in the dumpster at BK - ;)

For the time being, sounds like you have no rational alternative......yes....no?
When did BK get breakfast tacos? <3

Honestly I have worked my fair share of jobs that I would rather not have worked, really these jobs are transistional, there is no need to feel insulted to be working at any place as you are simply working there until you can stop working there, its not like you are going to be a career whopper mopper (nice one drago) so really working at the BK for a few months wont hurt, do a kickass job there make friends with your managers, use their references to get a better job ;).

DFSniper
12-02-2007, 12:41 PM
i just called my best friend, who i havent spoken to in weeks, and he got a job working the graveyard shift for a zappos.com warehouse and he loves it there. he says theyre looking for people to work all hours, so tonight he's going to pick me up an application. the way he described how they run the place and take care of their employees actually sounds really good, so this may be the job i've been looking for.

The Pumper
12-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I dont suggest working in a farming environment. It definitely wasnt for me.
If you arent into hay stacking, wood chopping or cow milking, then stay away from that. Bad first job for me. ;)

leed
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
If you arent into hay stacking, wood chopping or cow milking, then stay away from that. Bad first job for me. ;)

However, with the right people, hay stacking is a well paying job.

The Pumper
12-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Well it was minimum wage where I was, so it definitely wasnt worth it.

pb34
12-02-2007, 06:51 PM

QFT, I work at a farm over the summer and I love the people I work with and that makes it a whole lot better.

The Pumper
12-02-2007, 06:55 PM
QFT, I work at a farm over the summer and I love the people I work with and that makes it a whole lot better.
My fellow employees consisted of a 13 yr old and a couple 16 yr olds. Just 4 kids and 3 adults working that whole farm. I worked 12 days there...Last day before I quit, I was left by myself to unload 2 more wagons filled with hay. I was able to do it at a good pace with 1 kid loading and me stacking, but I was stucking doing both. so I just left. I still havent returned and dont plan on it.

pb34
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
My fellow employees consisted of a 13 yr old and a couple 16 yr olds. Just 4 kids and 3 adults working that whole farm. I worked 12 days there...Last day before I quit, I was left by myself to unload 2 more wagons filled with hay. I was able to do it at a good pace with 1 kid loading and me stacking, but I was stucking doing both. so I just left. I still havent returned and dont plan on it.

Yeah that sucks.

But lets get back on topic!! DF it sounds like you finally found something that you'll like!

newkid
12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
That's my life...ok minus the cow milking

DFSniper
12-02-2007, 07:40 PM
But lets get back on topic!! DF it sounds like you finally found something that you'll like!
we talked about it some more, and if i get the job, he gets $200 referral bonus (we'll split that), they pay you when they train you, and all employees get a 40% discount on any shoe (new paintball shoes!!) and you can order shoes AT the warehouse before your shift, and usually the order is ready by the time your shift is over. they have free vending machines, AND you can listen to your music as long as you only have one headphone in. he says its a 1 million square foot warehouse with good ac/heating, and you get between 5 to 12 miles of walking done a day, depending on your job.

WhatThaSmurf
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Sounds like you're golden now, just don't let it get away from you.

pb34
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
All around it sounds like a nice job. Just make sure you let them know your interested!!