PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking Support Thread

WhatThaSmurf
11-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Since I didn't want to find Tim's from forever ago, I'll just start a new one.

I smoke cigarettes and I want to quit, but I find that it is very hard and I have failed using multiple methods, usually due to the environments I choose to place myself in. So I turn, once again, to you guys to give me suggestions/ support in my efforts to kick my extremely unhealthy habit.

I don't need anyone to give me statistics and facts about smoking, I already know. All I ask is for you guys to place extreme shame upon me every time I admit to smoking another cigarette. It is very un attractive and inconvenient, and a huge health hazard. It also bad effects health insurance, which I will have to start paying in a few years. Not only that:

I WANT TO QUIT!

So I rely on you guys, my ever-so-trustworthy online family, to help me through this, especially when I ***** about how much I want a smoke. This will be hard than the last time I tried because since then I have become much more addicted and they are in a convenient supply no less than 200 ft from where I live.

I am getting other people to help me with this, but I feel I should let the wisdom of some of the veterans here help me as well (Matt, I know you will ride my ass on this). So, bare with me as I smoke my last pack of cigarettes hopefully ever, trying to ween myself quite suddenly off nicotene. Prayer are also whole-heartedly accepted.

And so it begins....

marvin-martian
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/tobacco/studyPlan/slides_az/slide-o1.jpg

hey, why dont you have a seat right over there...

WhatThaSmurf
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't need anyone to give me statistics and facts about smoking, I already know.
That includes visual aides.

shunut
11-28-2007, 05:51 AM
I have Cystic Fibrosis. My lungs were doomed from the beginning. Now I'm waiting for some new lungs. How about you give me yours and you can have mine? Then, since my lungs are already ruined, you can smoke all you want, no sense in preserving something that is already screwed up beyond repair. However, I guarantee, you won't smoke long after getting my lungs. Even breathing the air near someone who is smokeing sends me into a coughing fit.

My sister use to smoke and I got her to quit using a guilt trip, maybe it will work for you. Anytime you feel like a cigarette, think of all the people who took care of themselves and did not smoke but still have bad lungs, people like me.

Also, take it from me, you don't want bad lungs. Life sucks with bad lungs. Because I have so much trouble breathing when I'm active, I'm just not active anymore. Last time I went out with my friends was almost 6 months ago. Pretty much I hang out around my house all the time. I have to do breathing treatments so I can breath every 4 hours, and thats just so I can walk and do stuff around my house. Walking up the stairs to go to bed at night is a chore and leaves me out of breath. Taking a shower and getting dressed is hard. Most of the time when I get out of the shower because of the humidity I have coughing fits that can last 10-15 minutes. I can't make it through a day without taking a nap, if I don't, by 7:00pm I have no energy, which isn't that much of a change because even well rested I don't have much energy. I can't do the stuff I love, like play basketball, volleyball, lift weights and most of all play paintball.

Trust me, you don't want to ruin your lungs.

Critical
11-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Damn. How do you follow up on that Shunut?

Well, let me put it to you this way. I smoked from when I was 16 til I was 24. The only reason I quit was because a girl told me she'd never kiss me until I quit smoking. That girl is now my wife of 7+ years, we have a great life and a perfect little baby boy. Since I quit, I have more energy, more enthusiasm and just more of everything. Except for $$$, I'm sure you see, as a smoker, you always hoard the cash so that you have enough for cigarettes, once you quit, that money will be freed up for other things.

One other thing, it's been 9 years since I quit. There is not a day that goes by that, when things start to suck, the first thing I think of is "damn I need a smoke." It's going to be an every-day struggle, but if there's anything I can try to help with, let me know.

durrell
11-28-2007, 08:44 AM
My grandma died of emphyzema from smoking when she was only 53.

If those kinds of risks aren't enough to make you quit, then I don't know what is.

Shanna
11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I am going to take a slightly different approach here, while Shunuts statement seems to give the most reason to stop here is something that may be a little closer to home for you.

A child's lungs absorb more of the pollutants in the air than an adults, this is so that they can get more of the pure oxygen in the air because their bodies require a more pure o2 because they have yet to adapt to breathing in smog like the rest of us. So smoking around a child is more or less letting your child smoke, you are letting all of those nasty substances into their lungs, and giving their body nicotine and tar instead of the pure o2 it needs. If you ever want to start a family I suggest you get on top of quitting, as no one wants to put their kids at risk.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Shanna :angel:

WhatThaSmurf
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
shunut, I'm pretty sure we went over all that a year and a half ago, and I'm pretty sure you were one of the reasons the my previous attempt to quit was quasi-successful, letting me go months until I gave in while surrounded by 30+ friends that smoke while working at a summer camp. That place ruins me every time I quit and it is to the point now that I will have to quit working there too. It sounds to me like your condition has worsened since the last time I talked to you about it, and I am very sorry for that and the obvious fact that my bad habit puts you in a foul mood. I still have you on my list of people to pray for and hope that you have gotten closer to new lungs since the last update I heard.

Critical, that is the same arguement that my brother's girlfriend and porbably to-be fiance has told me every time she sees me smoke. I realize how unattractive it looks and have been told that it does leave a foul taste. That is just one more thing that has been pressing me lately is that I have a close lady-friend, but she refuses to go out with me unless I quit.

D, I am very sorry for your loss, and that is one of the major reasons that I want to quit. I hope to one day have grand children and I hope to see them grow to my current age and older. I realize that if I continue along this path that that dream will not be a reality.

Shanna, you are an angel, truely a blessing to your family and I am glad that your health has returned. From the day I first started smoking as a true smoker, I swore to myself that I would not smoke around children, especially not my own. If all my endevours fail, I vow on everything I believe in that my future wife's pregnancy will kick me right out of that habit, and hers if she does the same. God bless you, Matt, and your children.

0 SO FAR TODAY, a good start as most of my smoking happens as I walk to and from class, and I've had 3 today = a usual 6.

Hoppy11
11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I have the stupid habbit too. Normally its about one a day. It started because my first job everyone would do it and I was just around it all day everyday so I would do it every so often at work because it was stressful. Now with school because such a load on my life I normally just have one on the way home because Im normally so stressed by the end of the day and then I have more hw to do.

What Im getting at is I need to quit too because even though its just one a day I notice it when I go to play racketball or bball or anything. I don't want it plus what you said, its unattractive and very unhealthy.

Kenny_McCormic
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Hire a mexican kid to follow you around with a paintball pistol and shoot you anytime you start smoking. BTW my grandfather died of lung cancer, years of smoking combined with being in the navy during WW2 (Asbestos).

marvin-martian
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
would making a running/exercise schedule to follow work with you at all? this would be healthy and replace a nasty habit. also, you cant really do it if you smoke, so it could give you more drive to quit.

WhatThaSmurf
11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
No, I'm quite against regular physical activity. I walk a couple miles every day going different places, climbing a lot of stairs, so I'm in decent shape. I can still run and play basketball. It definitely hurts me but I have no problem doing things.

Hoppy, quit now, it will never be easier than it is now, and this time next year, you will really be feeling it if you continue to smoke.

CURRENT COUNT FOR TODAY STILL 0

newkid
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
my dad smokes, I hate it. He won't smoke unless he's out side, cause my family *****ed because the house and our clothes smelled like smoke. he's tried to quit but he's smoked for over 25 years so it's extremely difficult. My brother smokes when he drinks (my family isnt happy about that either). so stick in their dont give up, the only time to be a quiter is when you smoke!

DFSniper
11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
think of all the money you'll save. i dont remember the exact number, but im pretty sure its around 5 figures a year.

Critical
11-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Here's how it broke down for me, rounded to the nearest pack:

1 pack per day = $3
30 days/month = $90
12 months/year = $1080!!!

Figure I smoked for about 8 years or so, so $8600 is what I would have saved. With that money alone, I would have been able to finish college, buy a better car or not go into rediculous debt when I first started out.

Hossy
11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
If you ever need to talk to someone online, get me there. Im usually on alot on the weekends, as well as during the week, but some weektime will be limited because of basketball.

WhatThaSmurf
11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Actually, it's $5 per pack, 1/2 pack per day = $900+ per year, but it usually get's worse during the summer. My economics teacher in high school said in his lifetime he has spent nine figures on cigarettes. It's frightening.

STILL 0

cyberthrasher_706
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Man, now you guys are making me feel short of breath (I smoke, and just got back from the gym). I know how you feel about the physical stuff but the last time I quit, creating a work out routine really helped me keep at it. In fact, the only reason I started back up was because I was doing some pretty labor intensive work that was stressful and I had quit going to the gym due to hyperextending my knees. Just keep at it though, If you really want it, you'll make it. Someday when I'm ready to quit I hope I have guys like you around for me.

WhatThaSmurf
11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Actually I smoked today. Just one cigarette. And right after I pulled it out of the pack, I threw the rest of the pack away. I don't know what made me do it.

DFSniper
11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
:applause:

Paintballadict18
11-29-2007, 10:02 PM
:yeahthat: :applause:

WhatThaSmurf
11-29-2007, 10:09 PM
And it's killing me because I'm studying for a big physics quiz. The last one before our exam too.

badlandsrox
11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Here's how it broke down for me, rounded to the nearest pack:

1 pack per day = $3
30 days/month = $90
12 months/year = $1080!!!

Figure I smoked for about 8 years or so, so $8600 is what I would have saved. With that money alone, I would have been able to finish college, buy a better car or not go into rediculous debt when I first started out.
$3 a pack? in canada, it can be well over $10 per pack, and even more in different regions, in calgary here, ive heard of a $20 pack... wonder who would pay that much... especially seeing as how its only november, and temperatures here are averaging -30 (-22F), and its against the law to smoke anywhere indoors, within 35 feet of an entrance to a building, anywhere children are present, and in the next few months, in your car or home if children are present.

WhatThaSmurf
11-29-2007, 10:18 PM
With prices like that, I'm surprised people smoke in Canada.

Critical
11-30-2007, 05:36 PM
$3 a pack?

I quit about 8 years ago, apparently the price has nearly doubled since then.

The Pumper
11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
When I have a pack, I usually smoke it in one day. My recent pack [today] took 2 days. Earlier this week a pack took m 3 days. So I prgressed and deprogressed, if you will.

WhatThaSmurf
11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
All right, you guys have to stop talking about how much you smoke unless you plan on quitting or have regrets, because it will start to make me jealous.

Tomorrow is a test, because I'll be at a party and I tend to smoke more when I party. Been known to go through 2 packs in a night at the most out of control parties I go to. And this one might be kind of crazy because TENNESSEE IS PLAYING LSU FOR THE SEC TITLE!

cyberthrasher_706
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, I do want to quit sometime but now just isn't it. I don't know how I'm going to tell my kids not to smoke when they get older if I'm doing it. Maybe I'll start singing again and then give it a try.
About your party tomorrow, I would suggest paying one of the kids who's trying to fit in to smack you across the face everytime you try to pick one up. Just remember that all the work you put into it, all these days, goes away in a flash once you start making exceptions and then you have to start all over again and that just makes a guy feel like crap. I don't pray in the sense, but I'll send you some of my positive energy and good luck to help you through the night.

WhatThaSmurf
11-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Lack of clear reasoning + some random kid hitting me everytime I jones for a pull = court date and hospital bill to pay by the end of the night.

Kenny_McCormic
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Smoke alarm wired to a shock collar super glued around your neck?

WhatThaSmurf
12-01-2007, 05:53 PM
God I almost broke during that Tenn/LSU game!

TheRedBarron
12-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Dont smoke for fear of me finding you and banning you in real life?

That should be reason enough.

DFSniper
12-01-2007, 06:31 PM
uh oh, i think he's serious... after all, he is a ninja (the custom user titles never lie...)

WhatThaSmurf
12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I was wondering how long it would be until Matt found this. I would like to know what a real life ban would be like though, I'm trying to picture it and all I get is an image of a black man breaking my fingers with a hamme....oh. Right.

newkid
12-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Smoke alarm wired to a shock collar super glued around your neck?
better hope there's not a fire!

WhatThaSmurf
12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Actually, my roommate and I were thinking about making an alarm clock that linked the alarm on/off circuit to a dog collar remote so that it would shock when the alarm went off instead of making noise. We're both engineers and both very heavy sleepers.

newkid
12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
haha that would be awsome!

TheRedBarron
12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I was wondering how long it would be until Matt found this. I would like to know what a real life ban would be like though, I'm trying to picture it and all I get is an image of a black man breaking my fingers with a hamme....oh. Right.
Trust me, it is worse than that.

WhatThaSmurf
12-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Really? That seemed pretty gruesome and made use of the ban hammer. I can't even imagine a worse way to be banned in real life.

TheRedBarron
12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
it involves a ban stick rather than hammer and also otters thong... But I have already said too much

WhatThaSmurf
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Eeeeeewwwwwwwwww! The leather one?

DFSniper
12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
the ORIGINAL leather one???? oh God no!

WhatThaSmurf
12-02-2007, 01:02 AM
It's ok, I've figured it out. If I ever get edgy and pissy I can go bother Dre on PBN, until I get a perm ban.

WhatThaSmurf
12-02-2007, 01:27 AM
OK, got some bad cravings going on right now. At least the store is closed.

battlechaser
12-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Just another reason to quit... my former boss, who is EASILY the best person I've worked for, and just an all around awesome guy. He's going to be 43 this year, he's smoked since he was 16.

He has had a stroke, a heart attack, and is on his SECOND bout with stomach cancer.

If he continues smoking, the doctors have given him till 50.

Just some food for thought.

leed
12-02-2007, 05:52 PM
It's ok, I've figured it out. If I ever get edgy and pissy I can go bother Dre on PBN, until I get a perm ban.

You can bother me too.

And look at it this way. I know where you live. I will go find you and kick you in the.. Um.. Region known to us as the "nono" region...

My Boss smokes, and it's pretty gross, if I may say so myself, he takes breaks to smoke, and it's chill, but you can tell that he smoked when he went out. I never really understood the point of it, but hey, if you want cancer, be my guest.

WhatThaSmurf
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Honestly, I don't understand the point in smoking either, but there being no point has never stopped some people.

How do you know where I live anyway, you were blindfolded the last time I had you brought here.

leed
12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I have Verizon. They have GPS on my phone. They tracked it. They actually thought I was a consistent nono-region kicker, so they'd been tracking me for some time.

But here's another way to look at it: Tim is a tardball. If he can quit, you can quit too. <3 Tim.

WhatThaSmurf
12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah....Tim, wanna say anything?

bigred76
12-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Uh-oh, bringing ME into the equation? :nunu: Call me a "tardball" again, and I'll find your skinny azn behind and pull it over your head. :devil:

I don't know what to tell ya man, other than to stick with it! :waytogo:

Edit: Oh, I forgot... <3 Leed! :heart:

DFSniper
12-03-2007, 08:12 AM
lol.

like i told you last night, i got chest cramps 4-5 hours after being exposed to second hand smoke. i was trying get to sleep and i had trouble breathing, and the only thing that even remotely helped was when i accidentally swallowed some mouthwash... i've been around smokers with no problem before, but that time it felt like my lungs were about to collapse. i'm still feeling/tasting it right now, and my stomach feels like it wants to throw up.

WhatThaSmurf
12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
So I just broke down ad abought a pack and continued to smoke 3 in a row.
I just figured out that I cannot possibly get credit for yet another one of my classes even if I were to ace the exam and do all of my late homework. So that is a whole semester of classes completely ****ed because I did everything wrong. I am so stressed out right now.

TheRedBarron
12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Stress? want to know about stress?

How about being 16 years old, in high school, living on your own in the Bronx NY in a single room apartment, 1 legit job, 2 illicit jobs, going to school full time, and staying up all night nearly every night to study just so you can get out of the hell hole. Not enough?

How about being 29 with a family, just finding out your wife has cancer thinking that she may not make it, wondering if you are going to have to raise your 2 kids by yourself, wondering if you are going to have to quit your job, you have already sold your shop, stopped doing all of the hobbies that you previously loved, sold off all of your gear because you didn't want to enjoy something by yourself that you had once enjoyed with your wife, spending days at a time at the hospital with your wife who can barely talk because she is so sick, having to tell your toddler daughter that mommy is okay knowing damn well that she isn't...

I have never smoked cigarettes in my life.

Stress my brother is not a excuse, it is a motivator.

you are young Smurf, you have time, you have ambition, don't stoop down to crutches like nicotine for a temporary stress relief, its just a course, take it again, do it right this time, I know you spent some money on it but its not like you don't have the chance, keep going to the class even though you are going to fail, it will make the course easier next time around, bring your GPA up, save your money for things that are a better stress relief, (paintball, women, friends, family) I am disappointed that you gave up that easily.

WhatThaSmurf
12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I have not given up. I just had a temporary lapse that will last only the minimum amount of time time. I agree, I don't know anything that compares to what you have been through, and I respect you very much for having done what you have done to get where you are. It is only because I don't know hardship that I let these things affect me like they do, and I have always know that. It is the fact that the hardest thing that has ever hit me was death, the worst personal hardship I have ever had was school, that I can feel that this is so bad for me. I know my life cannot ever compare you yours, but none the less this has hit me hard and sudden. I plan on continuing my education, I will get the best grade I can in that class, but for the moment I need to sort out where I will go from there. I hit a minor low and chose to cope with it by reverting to something I know at least takes my mind off of it temporarily and allows me to slow down and think. My first thought was actually, "Man, all I want to do right now is get really ****ed up." I thought about that and realized that it was my worst course of action. I am currently talking with my family to see what they think I should do and seeking any other guidance I can find. I realize how blessed I am that it is only my own immaturity and lack of wisdom that has put me in one of the most stressful positions in my lifetime. I thank God everyday that I have the life I have. I do not know your pain, and I probably never will. But right now I need to look at what I have done, cope with it how I can, clear my head and make the right choice. I am not arguing toward smoking, that is just one of the ways I have poorly chosen in my lifetime to cope with such things. I still plan on quitting this time around, not a year from now, not any time in the distant future. I just need the next couple of days to sort things out, and all I can say for the cigarettes is that I freaked out and made yet another unwise choice. I am not in the least bit proud of my smoking, and I have no valid excuse for it. I just need some time to sort out this situation. And have no doubt Matt, you are an inspriation to us all, and I can never relate to the life you have been forced to lead.

I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP, AND I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

No matter what, no matter the choices I must make to fix my mistakes, I will give up smoking.

Kenny_McCormic
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Start/increase activity in a healthier habit like paintball.

WhatThaSmurf
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Trust me, if I had the money and time to play paintball, I would. As is, I'm going to try to sell all my paintball stuff over Christmas break.

kramernator
12-12-2007, 07:39 AM
i just want you to know that i pray to god you will find a way that works
Keep trying
i wish you the best of luck!

WhatThaSmurf
12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Wow, that was actually a very kind thing to say. It's been quite a while since I've had one, but the cravings haven't died down yet. This has definitely been harder than previous attempts but currently I am doing much better than I have in the past.

paintballkid0206
01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Smurf, how are you trying to quit? cold turky?? MY parents havn't smoked a cigarette in a month and a half. They talked to their doctor and got on Chantix (or Chantics). IT's a pill that you take twice a day. You take the medicine while smoking for about a week and when you feel taht your done, you just take the madicine alone. The doctor recommends that you take the medicine for 3 months, but some people take it longer.

newkid
01-20-2008, 09:59 AM
yea my dad's been off of them for about 3 weeks

WhatThaSmurf
01-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Oh, I guess I should give an update on this. I did not smoke a single cigarette over Christmas break, and I have only smoked a few whilst back in Knoxville, so I would almost consider myself having quit, except for the one or two while I play poker at my buddy's because I might as well with as much smoke that is lingering in the air. And those are only because cigar shops are too far to walk in Knoxville. So, effectively, I have quit smoking, although if it ever starts up again I'll be sure to post here first think so Matt can know to start hunting me down.

irishwarrior
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I admire your solidarity and perseverance in your effort to stop smoking. Most of my uncles smoke and it definitely makes me want to limit contact with them. I will pray for God to give you the willpower to stop.

WhatThaSmurf
01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Willpower will be the only thing to save me for the next few weeks possibly months, as for the last 24 hours all I can think about is how I promised myself that I would quit smoking. God help me as I endure one of the most trying things a person can go through in my opinion: My parents are getting divorced...AFTER 28 YEARS!

I...I don't understand...
I mean, it's not like I haven't seen the problems. They haven't hardly slept in the same room for the last 6 years for God sakes. But still, I never thought it would happen.

My brother and I were asked to come in for the weekend to talk about "financial stuff". That was the most we could get out of either one of them. We had no idea what was going on, neither did my oldest brother who actually lives at home until he finds a job. The best we figured was that our sick grandmother was getting worse and we were about to fall into a lot of money. So we were thinking win-lose. But then at dinner last night (I'm already back in Knoxville, I couldn't stay, nor did I want to) we were told that they were getting a divorce. I literally didn't say more than 3 consecutive words for an hour, then I just went o a friend's house. I had to do something normal, because there was nothing normal about home anymore. It probably won't even feel like home any more with only my dad living there. Oh yeah, another fun fact: my mother doesn't even know where she is going! She is staying at a friend's house for a few weeks, but after that? Well, she hasn't planned that far ahead. WTF?!

Oh dear God what is going on?

Pray for me, but forgive me if I end up buying a pack. I'll try not to.

newkid
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh man dude, in my thoughts and prayers

TheRedBarron
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Willpower will be the only thing to save me for the next few weeks possibly months, as for the last 24 hours all I can think about is how I promised myself that I would quit smoking. God help me as I endure one of the most trying things a person can go through in my opinion: My parents are getting divorced...AFTER 28 YEARS!

I...I don't understand...
I mean, it's not like I haven't seen the problems. They haven't hardly slept in the same room for the last 6 years for God sakes. But still, I never thought it would happen.

My brother and I were asked to come in for the weekend to talk about "financial stuff". That was the most we could get out of either one of them. We had no idea what was going on, neither did my oldest brother who actually lives at home until he finds a job. The best we figured was that our sick grandmother was getting worse and we were about to fall into a lot of money. So we were thinking win-lose. But then at dinner last night (I'm already back in Knoxville, I couldn't stay, nor did I want to) we were told that they were getting a divorce. I literally didn't say more than 3 consecutive words for an hour, then I just went o a friend's house. I had to do something normal, because there was nothing normal about home anymore. It probably won't even feel like home any more with only my dad living there. Oh yeah, another fun fact: my mother doesn't even know where she is going! She is staying at a friend's house for a few weeks, but after that? Well, she hasn't planned that far ahead. WTF?!

Oh dear God what is going on?

Pray for me, but forgive me if I end up buying a pack. I'll try not to.

Smurf people are unpredictable, I mean honestly like you said you kind of saw it coming, I am sure it will be hard as divorce is always hardest on the children because the parents generally benefit from it. honestly they are both going to be able to do the direction that they wish, and sometimes that is not so easy if they are opposite directions.

You have YOUR life ahead of you, you shouldnt have to live theirs. Yes it is a problem but you still have your mother, you still have your father, they simply will not be together anymore. Smoking, temporary releif of this new stress, but you are just going to get more upset with yourself if you smoke over this because you are going to realize that it is simply part of marriage, living with the same person for that many years sometimes is not easy, I mean you learn EVERYTHING about the other person, and sometimes there are things that pop up. You are a grown person Smurf I am sure that you can handle this.

WhatThaSmurf
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
It is not the "handling" that I have a problem with. Handling something for me means numbing myself to any and all emotional response. That I can do, I have lots of practice. It is the "dealing" with it that will cause me trouble, when I actually get around to facing the situation as I'm trying to do a little at a time because I know I can find something else to occupy my time if I start to stress too much about it. I didn't do so well last night, as I didn't sleep, and then finished off the 2 cigarettes I've had for a month this morning at about 7:30 before my first class. I was kind of strung out from not sleeping and I was letting the stress get to me. I have no acceptable excuse except, I ****ed up.

TheRedBarron
01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Smurf Im not looking for you to give me an excuse or even that you ****ed up. Really I am just letting you know that it will be okay, you just need to try to relax yourself some other way, read, I do work to relax. I know that sounds a bit off, but when I am doing work noone is bothering me, I can just sit down and I accomplish a goal and to me accomplishing a goal is rewarding and makes you feel good. I dont know I am not suggesting that you work to relent some stress I am more or less suggesting that you find something else to help you "numb" yourself. I am not upset at you this time smurf, I have seen what divorce can do to the children (no matter how old) and sometimes it is a hard thing to take, and you throw that ontop of the every day stress that you have and.. viola, you have aticking time bomb, that is something that we are trying to diffuse here, smoking those 2 cigs made you feel better while you werre smoking them but made it worse after because then you threw that ontop of the pile, allong with school, girls?, the divorce, your gram in less than ideal shape... I mean you are hurting yourself even more by smoking these things, let some of that stress go just drop those, focus on something else, and actually focus on it. Music, write a story, take up photography, anything that will help you release some of that stress. Im pulling for ya.

WhatThaSmurf
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Matt, thank you for understanding. Actually reading helps me, as does watching movies and playing video games, so I have been doing that with all the time that I have been spending on school work and sleep (less the sleep). I think the cigarettes had more of a mentally calming effect than the nicotene having an effect. Smoking is something that I have concidered to be normal for the past few years, and that normalcy helped me early this morning. I am starting to look at this as an adding challenge. I have set myself a goal, a goal that will lead to overall self improvement. I figure that God (or what ever powers that be that you believe in) saw fit to gove me further enrichment by adding this challenge to my task. I realize that the divorce had nothing to do with me or my brothers, in fact my parents were gracious enough to wait until we were all out of the house. I don't know what alternate effect this will have on me, maybe to semi-reverse my extreme numbness to physical emotion (I have yet to show any ******d remorse, only shock). In all realty, I know this is for the best, but I have not yet figured out how. Again, pray for me, this is harder on me than I show.

darth massacre
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Just came across this thread. I feel for you Smurf, but you are on the right track of identifying the emotional problems, and then separating them from your efforts to quit smoking. Helps to talk about it too - like you are doing here.

I know there are a variety of strategies family and friends employ to assist the quitting smoker. Health reasons for self and loved ones are often the most used. But a new and probably stronger message has recently emerged - one that I agree with most - is that smoking = addiction. Simply put, its a nicotine addiction. And you shouldn't beat yourself up too badly if you relapse and go back for a fag once every few weeks. Its a step by step process and you should take it easy and be extremely mindful when you relapse - acknowledge it and try again. The longer you can go for without a cigarette, the better it is for you. Addiction is a powerful force, you have to understand that in order to beat it.

Also there's the misconception that nicotine relaxes the mind. It doesn't - it actually perks the mind up - but relaxes the muscles on the body. It also sends a surge of adrenaline into the system causing your body to expend blood sugar quickly in the first few minutes. My roommate smokes just before he sleeps, claiming that cigarettes calm him down, but the truth is I hear him tossing in bed next door all the time. The body is relaxed but the mind is speeding. It's also one of the reasons why anorexic models smoke a cigarette when they are hungry instead of eating. The blood sugar conversion and adrenalin just kills the appetite and keeps their weight down.

Check out this link.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/nicotine.htm

So keep your head up - don't think that because you've gone back to a cigarette in tough times that you have lost. Its only a small battle in the larger war you're waging for the sake of yourself. Just don't lose too many of those small battles. I am really glad you want to quit because you want to quit - I've seen too many friends wanting to quit because their girlfriends say so, or because they're about to become a father, but once those reasons cannot be justified anymore, they relapsed almost immediately.

Now, I've never had the problem before - only smoked half a cigarette in my early teens to find out that its not the thing for me - and I know I may sound hypocritical since I could not fully understand what you are going thru as a smoker, I can assure you addiction to nicotine and addiction to other things are fairly similar. We all want to feel good.

So yeah - that's all I have to say.

Oh and - Good luck!

xtraking
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I missed all this because I haven't been on lately, but how's it going now?

Hope everything is going well man!

OSOK
03-28-2008, 05:19 PM
My Mom, doesnt have the best relation with my Dad. My Mom had a hard life growing up in Taiwan. We are in some serious debt and my Mom blames it on my Dad. My Mom has told me and my brother that when we are out of the house, she will file for divource if my Dad doesnt change his habbits.

I feel for you man, I am only 15 and have gone through a lot of stuff. I don't smoke, I will never smoke.

I hope, and pray for you that you can quit, as I am trying to help my self in quitting some things that I shouldnt be doing.

WhatThaSmurf
03-31-2008, 02:33 AM
Status update!

Quitting is going well, although cold-turkey was a no-go.
Now it's "hide them from myself" and "avoid going to convenience stores".
It seems to be working pretty darn good. If I don't see them, I usually forget about them for a while, so I just put them under old papers and stuff.

TheDarkShadow
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
good to hear, my dad hasnt smoked in 3 months, pretty good start since he's been smoking for over 25 years