PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better?

Murakamikazi
11-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Co2 or Compressed air. I just read that the VS2 (I'm considering getting it) uses only compressed air. I heard compressed air is cleaner and it can't freeze up but does it have as much power and does it last as long as Co2?

Hob Hayward
11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
For the VS2/3 I would only use HPA as the reg isn't designed to operate with CO2.

However for any other spyder, I still think CO2 is the way to go, cheap tanks, cheap fills, and spyders were built on the theory they'd be running co2. Co2 just works better for blowbacks. However - if you want a more consistent air source, HPA is excellent.

As to shot count, it depends on tank volume and pressure, a 68/4500 will yield approximately as many shots as a 20 oz. co2 tank.

MVS1
11-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Not arguing with ya Hob, but there are a couple of other factors to consider....IMO HPA is always a better choice if you are looking for a more consistant operating pressure (which equates to shot to shot accuracy). Co2 is effected by the ambient air temp and FPS varies considerably as temp changes, i.e., chrono in the morning at 280 FPS and by mid-day you'll be up to 290+. Also as you shoot your tank pressure begins to drop from ~1000psi to sub 700psi (as the tank gets low) which most non-LP spyders will begin to have issues cycling. All HPA tanks have regulators (either HP~800 psi, or LP 450-600psi) therefore they provide a consistant output until you go below there preset output. As for cheaper, well sort of, a "steel" 68/3000psi tank will run you ~$70 (you can find cheaper), and will work just fine, downside their heavy as hell. Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber tanks are considerably more expensive, running $150 and up, however they are much lighter and if you play at a field that can provide 4500 psi fills, that will keep you going for quite a while. As for cheap fills, most of the fields I have played at offer 20oz Co2 fills for $5 a shot, and allday HPA for $10, so depending on how much you shoot one Co2 fill might do ya for the day, if not then it's pretty much a wash between the 2, yeah you'll be making a couple more trips to the fill station. The biggest advantage to Co2 IMO is that if you are going LP with your marker you can run at a lower operating pressure than you can with HPA, which means that 20oz Co2 you have just got a lot more shoots per fill, and an anti-siphoned tank will make it even better. If your looking at a VS2/3, Co2 isn't an option for ya, even with an anti-siponed tank.

Hob Hayward
11-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I won't argue with that, however a 68/3k psi tank will only last for around 500 shots.

Thats fine if you play at fields with all day air, but if you play recball, you basically need a bigger tank...

I use CO2 for recball, and my 50/3k when I play at fields...

DFSniper
11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I won't argue with that, however a 68/3k psi tank will only last for around 500 shots.

Thats fine if you play at fields with all day air, but if you play recball, you basically need a bigger tank...

I use CO2 for recball, and my 50/3k when I play at fields...
see, a lot of people will point you towards big tanks (68/4.5k and up) because more is better, right? people complain about how heavy their guns are and then add a 3-4 lb tank to it. if you do mostly play at a field with all day air, just get yourself something that will give you at least as many shots as paint you carry on the field depending how long/big the game is. i usually take 800-1000 balls in the woods and about 800 on the speedball field because i usually play back. so for the woods if im playing a really long game (had a 45 minute defend the base game that was pretty much just putting pressure on them) i'll want a tank with about a 1000 shots, but if its only a 15 minute game, i'll go through maybe 2-3 hoppers, so a 45/3k will probably work. and in speedball, depending on your position you probably wont be carrying a lot of paint on you (say 400-600 rounds for a small game) so a smaller tank will work fine.