PDA

View Full Version : Guitarists: What cable do you use?

shunut
11-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I need to get a new cable. The one I had, I thought was good, but it stopped working today. I took it apart and one of the connections were bad. I tried soldering it back together but I suck at soldering. I think I got it too hot because I know all the wires are connected but it still doesn't work. I was planning on getting a new cable anyway so I would like to know what other people have used, tried, liked, didn't like...

I've heard some good things about DiMarzio cables. I think the best thing I heard about them was that they have a lifetime warranty and if anything happens to your cable, ever, they will replace it. I think thats DiMarzio.

So, whats good and whats not?

leed
11-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Lifetime warranties are always great.

That being said, Monstercables work wonders for my band. I have a Monstercable that needs to be replaced, but I have yet to get around to do it. Only downside is the extraordinarily steep price.
Just as well, Monstercables are well insulated, so there is minimal fuzz if any at all; and, even cooler, is some of the higher-end ones have on-off switches at the plugs so you don't have to use the volume knobs to turn down if you need to talk during a concert. It also helps in prevent that crackle when you plug your cable into your guitar with the Amp on.

But, I have also heard great things about DiMarzio. Being a well known music company, I think they're just as good a candidate for guitar cables.

spray and pray
11-23-2007, 05:19 AM
I just get cheap ones. In my oppinion don't worry about really expensive ones because from my experience the break more.

shunut
11-23-2007, 06:04 AM
I have 2 cheap cables right now. 1 that came with my guitar and one that Guitar Center gave me for free when I got my WahWah and neither sound very good. The one that broke is the one I use all the time and the sound quality from it was much better. It was also a much thicker cable than the other 2.

Leed - I was looking at the Monster Cables as well. I just was hoping to get some opinions from everyone.

I think my guitar instructor uses DiMarzio cables and likes them a lot. I think I might go to Guitar Center today and see what some of the guys there say.

SupaSnipa
11-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I like the monster cables, they work real well.

TheRedBarron
11-23-2007, 07:04 AM
I dont play electric guitar, but I have done a good bit with sound production and live sound etc. and I always have been a monster cable fan.

calebh
11-23-2007, 07:26 AM
i've been using 20' gold tipped fender cables for the past 7 years. actually, they aren't really gold tipped anymore. it all wore off. lol.

one connection broke a few years ago, i replaced it, and haven't had a problem since. sound quality is pretty good, probably not the best, but good enough for just about everything.

i've also always liked those california coil cables. i think that's what they're called. you don't have to worry so much about tangles with them. i've had a generic one for several years. it's nice for just screwing around sometimes. i can pull that out and just shove it back in my bag when i'm done, instead of uncoiling, untangling, then recoiling a 20' cable.

tater_salad
11-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I've always used Montser Cable and Mogami and really like both.

interceptorMR2
11-23-2007, 11:30 AM
haha i want a wireless cable those things are so ballin! my friend has one and it works great. not real sure what brand though but i heard it was somewhat spendy... i just use cheap cables myself