PDA

View Full Version : Proto pmr/slg's

~shocktheman~
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey guys its been awhile since I've been on here or in the sport, but I'm in the market for a new marker and I thought I had it narrowed down to the pmr, but I heard about the new release of the slg. I also noticed that though it was 100 bux cheaper than the pmr, everyones making a big deal about it saying that its equal or better than the pmr. How can that be? I know about the internal differences and all, but still. I know itís pretty new, but has anyone around here had experience with both yet? Iím feeling skeptical and usually when I do I end up spending that extra cash just for the mental reassurance, especially here since the retail is significantly lower. As of now Iím still veering towards the pmr. Anyone?

Tito=PBL
11-23-2007, 10:25 AM
i would say the PMR...because it is already known and stuff....i like mine. havent really had any problems with it. only a few leaks that a oring change fixed. :D

pbfreak3221
11-23-2007, 12:41 PM
PMR is my personal prefrence, just because I don't like the feel of the slg. But you should hold/shoot both before you purchase either.

vikingshadow
11-23-2007, 03:11 PM
The SLG is not equal to nor better than the PMR. It's a totally different gun with a totally different operation. Dye has said multiple times it was not made to replace or better the PMR. In fact, I've heard the only thing similar about the two guns are that they are made by Proto.

That being said, I don't know anything about the SLG. It may be an great gun. I do know that the PMR is an awesome gun. I have no complaints about mine whatsoever, although tomorrow is going to be the first time I play with it in the cold so we'll see.

I just love the whole drama over on PBN regarding these two guns. Last year when the PMR came out they couldn't say anything good about it because it didn't have an LPR and it was cheap. Now, the SLG comes out and no one has said anything negative about it. Go figure...

applesauce
11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
pmr's work pretty well in 'cold'. Im in Minnesota and there was a tourny at my field. the only guns that ended up working the whole day through were the PMRs. I actually loaned mine toa buddy. but i guess it depends on what you mean by cold.

vikingshadow
11-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I'd agree with the cold thing - we had a clinic this weekend and it was colder yesterday and today than it's been all year in this part of the country. 28 degrees this morning and 36 yesterday - dang chilly out! It actually got colder as the day went on yesterday, so who knows how cold it really got?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my PMR and a brand new quest were the only guns not having any problems. (I did have an instance of bolt stick yesterday, then once today, but all I had to do was unscrew the back, pull it out about a half inch, then slide it back in and I was good to go.) The other guns - Mini's, Timmies, Ego's, Promasters, a Wrath and a DM all went down at least once, some much more than that...I'm not sure, but I think even Chris Cole's VS2 went down, but don't quote me on that. Wish I could say my vision was as good, but my glasses were fogging like crazy! Pretty hard to snap shoot a semi-pro player anyways, but doing it blind is impossible, let me tell ya...

This was the first time I actually got to use the Rail in the cold, and I ran more than two cases through it yesterday and today. With only two bolt stick issues, I'd say it passed the test quite well!

chnk
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
i say pmr, unless a ul frame comes out for the slg,

the slg is nice, but i still feel that the pmr shoots better, the slg still has a kick to me,

if you're looking at the pmr for $350 i'd say the fusion or quest is a better option

DRAGON
11-25-2007, 07:46 PM
pmr's are good markers for the price. played with mine today with no probs though it was in the 80's. :D amof, had mine since spring with no probs at all. diffenece being if you're not very good at teching you might have better luck with the slg. you have no ep solenoid to worry about. it's basically an electronic sear tripper like spyder's. that's really the only similarities to spyder's though.

DriverJ
11-29-2007, 07:16 AM
yeah PMR's work fine in the cold, but I've only ever had a problem in the cold with a tippy. My spyder, my 3 cockers, and my etek have all shot wonderfully in the cold.

Of the two I would prefer the PMR, and for the price you can get UL'd ones for $425 new I believe? maybe a bit more give or take, you can get LNIB for around $350-$375 with a UL and a stock one for around $250.

bamf-hacker
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
or you can get a UL'd PMR for $379 from PunishersPB and get a free t-shirt and fedex shipping.

http://www.punisherspb.com/proto-rail-paintball-gun-black-dust-w-dye-ultralite-pmr-frame-combo.aspx

~shocktheman~
11-30-2007, 07:29 PM
thanks guys, last question. is it worth buying a pmr without the UL frame or do most people just end up spending the extra cash for one later? what are the specs on the UL?

DriverJ
12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
The UL is mostly just a "Feel" thing as I believe both boards have the same modes, but I can't remember. My PMR lost its stock board before I even shot it.

I hated the feel of the stock PMR frame/trigger. Its definitely a better idea to save the $$$ now

Oscum Guy
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
a stock pmr for 250 is better than an slg for the same price. the pmr is fully electropneumatic and the slg is not...

Command2A
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
PMR with UL frame is by far the better way to go (for me anyways). Tried both ended up buying it. No problems, very few upgrades required.

Hob Hayward
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
a stock pmr for 250 is better than an slg for the same price. the pmr is fully electropneumatic and the slg is not...

Now now, just because its EP, doesn't make it better :P

I've heard plenty of people say they thought the two markers were comparable...