PDA

View Full Version : Renting a large co2 tank

Protan
11-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Ok need some advice here. Me and a group of friends all play woodsball about once a week and we all use co2 with our guns. So we want to rent a large cylinder so we can fill our own tanks. I need some suggestions as to where to rent one. So far im renting it from a place called praxair for $75 for the tank per year and $40 for the initial fill. And I think thats a 4 foot tank. I live in Canada, any other places I should try?

KingTutBaller
11-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Thats an exact storybook copy of what I've been doing and I'm quite happy with it. I'm with Praxair too (and in Canada) and for the value it's great, the fills last quite a while, the only problem is that I got a bogus tank that might have only lasted a week, and was not given a refund or any explaination. If you're splitting the costs with a group of people I definately think you're doing fine with what you're paying. (I'm only splitting costs between myself and my brother, and charging a minimal fee to our friends to make back some cash from the rental fees.)

vikingshadow
11-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Just make sure you get a tank with a dip tube in it, or you'll have to fill your tanks with the cylinder upside down. We get ours through Airgas - but I don't know how far their reach extends. May not go all the way to Canada....

I think it's common to get ripped off once in a while. There have been a few times we've picked up tanks and one (or more than one) were empty. Be careful!

Protan
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Dip Tube? What is it and what does it do compared to regular? Would it cost any extra? Why does the tank have to be upside down?

KingTutBaller
11-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Don't worry Protan the tanks from Praxair come with dip tubes installed.
It's basically the exact opposite of anti-siphon... the tube extends to the bottom of the tank making sure that is it liquid Co2 being drawn, not the gas from the top. I know mine came with it, perhaps you should check with them before you can rent the tanks.

p.s. have you checked with the company that you can even rent one??? I'm not sure if they'll rent out for non-industrial uses. We had a bit of trouble getting ours almost.. We were already renting the smaller tanks for welding and when we upsized my brother asked about the dip tube and what not, to make sure it was alright for paintball fills, and they got a bit huffy he hinted at paintball. So best either to make sure you can even get one, and perhaps try to keep paintball on the down low :D

MVS1
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Most of the CO2 bottles that are equiped with dip tubes have it stenciled on the side of the bottle. If your using the 120 c.u. ft tank (the tall one) it should way a ton full, if you can (realitively) easily lift it into the trunk/bed, then it probably isn't full. You can also say that you are using it for a "keg-a-ator" (co2 beer dispensor) and they won't give ya any grief.

OtterSC
11-20-2007, 05:37 AM
i have had a few instances that the bulk CO2 tank did not have a siphon tube even though it was marked as having as such. you can still use it if it is hard to get a tank with a siphon. lay it on its side. make sure though that it is in a secured location. it is better to get one with the right internals.

vikingshadow
11-20-2007, 09:57 AM
We've had a couple like that - said it had a dip tube but it didn't. Like the Otter said, you can use them, but it's a bit more difficult and for sure make sure it's secured!

Protan
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok so I called praxair and they didnt have a problem with me using it for paintball fills. They told me $50 a year for the tank rental and $70 for the initial tank fill. The tank is a 50lb 5ft tank, and it comes with a dip tube. This sound like a good deal? Or should I shop around? I think the only other place I could find was lke 30 min away.

oldironmudder
11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Those prices dont sound bad at all.

DFSniper
11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
remember, those are canadian prices, not US.

how much are refills? still $70?

oldironmudder
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
remember, those are canadian prices, not US.

how much are refills? still $70?

OHHH in USD that aint bad but whats the conversion?

Hob Hayward
11-20-2007, 06:07 PM
I called up a local welding supply - they didn't want the liability of the tank being used for paintball...

oldironmudder
11-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Is there anyway that you can prove that you can safely fill pball tanks & maybe build a holding device for the tank?

I built one out of 2x4s & a ratchet strap. Had it angled valve down so i would get the liquid.

Protan
11-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I told them what I was using it for they didnt have a problem with it

oldironmudder
11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Prolly gonna end up being how the people see paintball. If you walk in & say "Yo dawg, I wanna rentz one of dem Co2 tanks for my pball guns." Your prolly gonna get a dumb look from them & pointed toward the door. Now if your like, "Morning, I was looking into renting one of those Co2 tanks, what kind of paper work & price will I be looking at?" Youll prolly end up with the person trying to rent a 5' tall tank when you only need a 20lbs.

Protan
11-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Ok so we rented a 50 lb tank and im wondering if you guys would know howmany fills (In ounces) that would be good for?

Kenny_McCormic
11-23-2007, 07:15 AM
It takes ~24 ounces to fill a 20 oz (4 are wasted freezing the tank) there are 16 ounces in a pound so ~30 20oz fills.

oldironmudder
11-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok so we rented a 50 lb tank and im wondering if you guys would know howmany fills (In ounces) that would be good for?

Oh god, I havent counted in years but 4-6 players can easly use a single 20lbs in two game days. Also depends on how you fill the tanks.