PDA

View Full Version : New here: want to deck out my gun.

Varent212
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
I got an mr1 recently and am going to start moding. I figured that you could help point out how i should start the process. I know i should change out the barrel and am going to get an anti syphon kit for it to start in the winter. but also I need to know if anything else is recommend it to make my mr1 fool proof for the winter. I was reading that put rain-x in your barrel can give it a ceramic effect. has anybody tested this? if so let me know because it sounds like it would work just fine. should i take out the venturi? and also should i change the stock or modify it by cutting the top off of it? seems like that would mess up the integrity of the stock. so many questions that i hope someone can answer. if anyone has any other questions then please post on here so it can be answered for me too if i didnt know.

deano 177
11-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I was reading that put rain-x in your barrel can give it a ceramic effect. has anybody tested this? if so let me know because it sounds like it would work just fine. I have never heard of that "mod". If you try it let us know how it works...

also should i change the stock or modify it by cutting the top off of it? seems like that would mess up the integrity of the stock.
Some folks do that so that they can sight down the barrel a little more accuratly. I don't like how the stock setup felt so I don't use mine. I have no idea how it feels or how it affects the rigidness of it.

TheRedBarron
11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome to our humble home, first off I would like to point out that the rain-x in the barrel is a myth it does not help it as a matter of fact it leaves a residue inside of the barrel which may or may not affect the balls flight due to the fact that it cannot be spread evenly inside of the barrel (I have not heard of this "mod" for some time its kind of nice to hear about the old ones coming back) if it cannot be spread evenly inside of the barrel then it will cause a spin on the ball which in turn affects your accuracy due to the fact that a paintball is not perfectly round.

Get anti siphon but make sure you have your shop install it for you, bring your marker and tank into the shop so that it can be properly installed, also another good thing to do for a co2 tank in the winter is to wrap it up in something to help keep the temp a little higher, I remember using a wool stocking to cover the tank and I also used to tape those instant hand warmers to the tank to help bring the temp up to what it would be on a nice spring day. Granted this is not fool proof but it does make a difference.

Removing your ventri gives results, when I was using stock bolts on my spyders I always removed the ventri make sure you do it properly and try not to scratch the bolt when you are doing it, I dont know if you have seen Otters site yet or not but it gives you step by step instructions on many mods similar to this one. Click here (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/)

As for the stock that is completely up to you, personally I would not know much about it as I have not really toyed with and MR series marker any more than teching it at my shop. So I would wait for some more advice from someone with more experience in that field before doing anything of that sort.

Once again welcome to the boards, if you have any other questions pertaining to paintball or in general you will find that the other sections of our boards are a little broader and most of your questions will be able to be answered in the general section and the veterens section, no question is considered stupid here so feel free to ask away. Hope this helped some

<3 TRB

cyberthrasher_706
11-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Welcome!
I answered your stock question here
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=13813&page=2 (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=13813&page=2)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

cansniper
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I have been playing for a number years now and can shed some light on the Rainx in the barrel "mod".... When you put rainex in your barrel you need to spread it around with a cheap barrel swab...walmart sells them, they are a wodden stick with wool glued to them. Pour the Rainx in the barrel and the push the swab back and forth down the barrel while twisting it around. This will spread the Rainx evenly on the inside of the barrel.....NOW...this does nothing for the accuracy of the gun whatsoever (either good or bad) in my experience. What it does do is allow the barrel to clean itself if you have a ball break. By firing the gun a few times, the paint will slide out of the barrel much easier, and allow you to keep playing instead of having to remove and squeegee your barrel out. Also, if you can turn your loader off so that there are no more balls entering the bore, you can then hold your hand over the end of the barrel and fire the gun a few time to clear out the barrel ports.

cyberthrasher_706
11-20-2007, 05:04 PM
don't they make barrels that do that now?? I sure hope so since I bought it. I don't know, I don't wanna sound mean with that one. I just don't like the idea of pouring a chemical into something that's so sensitive with it's tolerances. Besides, they make barrels that are already ceramic just for that.

oldironmudder
11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I was reading that put rain-x in your barrel can give it a ceramic effect. has anybody tested this? if so let me know because it sounds like it would work just fine.

first off I would like to point out that the rain-x in the barrel is a myth it does not help it as a matter of fact it leaves a residue inside of the barrel which may or may not affect the balls flight due to the fact that it cannot be spread evenly inside of the barrel (I have not heard of this "mod" for some time its kind of nice to hear about the old ones coming back) if it cannot be spread evenly inside of the barrel then it will cause a spin on the ball which in turn affects your accuracy due to the fact that a paintball is not perfectly round.

I used to do this all the time. I never tested it in a shot to shot contest to test FPS but it really helped out on a ball break. Apply it evenly you ask? I use an old BE squeege & a fold piece of paper towel. Line it up on the squeege, put Rain-x & it & run it down the barrel.

cansniper
11-23-2007, 06:02 AM
don't they make barrels that do that now?? I sure hope so since I bought it. I don't know, I don't wanna sound mean with that one. I just don't like the idea of pouring a chemical into something that's so sensitive with it's tolerances. Besides, they make barrels that are already ceramic just for that.

Hey, ur right the ceramic barrels will do the same thing. I shoot a freak system thought and the rainx really helps. Ur also right that you want to make sure u spread it evenly throught the barrel so that you don't get tolerance issues.....and you dont have to use a lot...a very thin coating is all that is needed. You can also wash any excess out with a little bit of water.

Varent212
11-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you for all the answers. I have seen the otter site and it has some very helpful info. I am not a newb to paintballing, just not a vet .... yet. I have played for a year or so and am just now having the cash to start playing regularly. I had to buy the mr1 because it looks like a lot of mod oppertunities. once again thank you for the replies. I look forward to being part of this forum and the forum community. My next question is that I would like to find out the best way to paint your markers. I have someone who will supply the materials for free if i help him figure out how to paint the markers. I could just slap the paint on but I want the paint to stay on.

MR1_SNIPER
12-06-2007, 09:36 AM
A new barrel would be a good idea but make sure that it will have a positive effect on the gun as far as distance and accuracy. Rain-x spread evenly inside of the barrel will help a ball-bust exit out of the barrel in a matter of a few dry shots. An anti-siphon kit is the way to go if you are operating on CO2 in the winter. An expansion chamber or remote line also helps the CO2 liquid transfer into a gas before entering the marker. Cutting off the top of the stock will help you by not preventing you from seeing exactly in front of you but still giving you a tactical effect. The venturi bolt is a great bolt but a delrin bolt from alamo city paintball will really help in the long run.

SpyderMan723
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Rain-x spread evenly inside of the barrel will help a ball-bust exit out of the barrel in a matter of a few dry shots.

Nope, that is incorrect information

MR1_SNIPER
12-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Nope, that is incorrect information
Actually when I spread Rain-x in my barrel it was easier to clean out than a barrel without it

Varent212
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I have been seeing the term "low blow" bolt being used. what is it? it sounds like it has an advantage over other bolts.

MR1_SNIPER
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I have been seeing the term "low blow" bolt being used. what is it? it sounds like it has an advantage over other bolts.
The bolt is called "low blow" because the bolt allows the co2 or air to hit the bottom of the ball which gives it a slight backspin that improves the distance, accuracy, and flattened trajectory of the shot. In my opinion it is the best bolt out there for the MR1 at this point and it is also delrin which is extremely light weight.

oldironmudder
12-07-2007, 03:40 AM
The bolt is called "low blow" because the bolt allows the co2 or air to hit the bottom of the ball which gives it a slight backspin that improves the distance, accuracy, and flattened trajectory of the shot. In my opinion it is the best bolt out there for the MR1 at this point and it is also delrin which is extremely light weight.

I really dont think it helps a whole lot. Cause if you have a good paint to bore match the wee bit of back spin may stop from the drag in the barrel.

MR1_SNIPER
12-07-2007, 09:36 AM
I really dont think it helps a whole lot. Cause if you have a good paint to bore match the wee bit of back spin may stop from the drag in the barrel.
Yes that is true. The paint to barrel match makes all the difference and the bolt would best work with a short barrel such as a 9" or like so but since I've switched out my stock bolt for the delrin bolt you will notice an improved distance and accuracy.

Varent212
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
well if it happens to be that then i guess ill have a messed up stock barrel. i plan to get a new barrel before i paintball again so i will be able to test the theory out. ill let you guys know the outcome.

Varent212
01-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Well I dont have pics yet but i plan too soon. I bought a $25.00 red dot scope and found that i had a problem with the pin that connects the bolt and striker together. so what i did was a grinded the pin down so that it doesnt hit the scope anymore. it works well. i have to fabricate someting to make it easier to cock the gun. also i dogboned the stock and it works well. i put my tac light on and it works well. I plan to make a shroud for the barrel but i dont exactly know how yet. i plan to make it two halves so that i can just assemble it around whatever barrel i get. also it will house the taclight. if you have any suggestions on materials, plans, etc. then please let me know on this thread. I also am gonna do the rain-x thing. it sounds like more people say it works then they say it doesnt.