PDA

View Full Version : Dent Ball Screw On The Bolt

deano 177
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
That pos screw was the crappiest design for this marker. Why would you put a straight slot on there? Why not an allen? I guess it is made of brass. Soft a$$ metal. Not to mention the dissimilar metals (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dissimilar+metals&btnG=Google+Search) thing. Anyway, Mine stripped and I had to drill it out. The funny thing is - There is no part number on the diagram (http://www.spyder.tv/section/support/diagrams/mr1.pdf). I wonder if screw #15 will fit. So now I am trying to find a screw that fits in there because I don't want to tap it. I have an idea that it may be metric. Its smaller than a 1/4X20 screw. I may have to go to lowes and try to find something... Any one else have this issue? My friend said that one of his spyders also did the same thing...

Nu7a
11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Im trying to remove it right now, and its starting to strip for me too.....I'm gonna try to get a rear cocking pole in there somehow, while still holding the detent, but if u find a screw that fits, please send me specs, so im not loooking forever. Ill post if i find anything that might fit.

cyberthrasher_706
11-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Are you talking about the valve body screw? That's the only straight edge screw I know of on the mr1, or brass for that matter. Everything else is a hex screw.

deano 177
11-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Are you talking about the valve body screw? That's the only straight edge screw I know of on the mr1, or brass for that matter. Everything else is a hex screw.
Nah. It is the Ball Dent screw. On part #279. The Venturi Bolt has a ball dent to hold the Pull Pin Cocking Knob #284. That is the screw where you could put a cocking knob in. I should have some pics of what I did tonight. I had to do an X cut with a hacksaw and then pick at it with a pocket knife to get mine out. I will put pics and a full workup on tonight.

cyberthrasher_706
11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
ok, I don't have part #229 but I found what you're dealing with, guess I never looked at the bolt that hard. So, what happened that you were trying to take it off anyway? By the way, are you sure it's brass? mine looks like nickel or something and yes, it is very soft metal. For future reference I would make sure you have a well crafted, hard metal, screwdriver that fits the slot exactly to keep it from turning as much. Let me know what you come up with.

deano 177
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
ok, I don't have part #229 but I found what you're dealing with, guess I never looked at the bolt that hard. So, what happened that you were trying to take it off anyway? By the way, are you sure it's brass? mine looks like nickel or something and yes, it is very soft metal. For future reference I would make sure you have a well crafted, hard metal, screwdriver that fits the slot exactly to keep it from turning as much. Let me know what you come up with. I use only KLIEN TOOLS which are tops in my book. I screwed up. Part # 279 is the Venturi Bolt and I'm sure you have one. If you take your stock off and look down into the marker you will see a small screw in the back of the V-Bolt. To make the MR1 a rear cocker instead of a top cocker you will need to get that screw out so you can put some type of rod in there. I have mine worked out and will post when I get home. I will include some pics and tell how I did mine.

cyberthrasher_706
11-15-2007, 11:44 AM
well, i guess it would help if I could read numbers right. I did find it though, thats how I found out how soft it really was. Those soft metals just take alot of care when you touch em. Glad you got it, look forward to seeing how it looks.

deano 177
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
well, i guess it would help if I could read numbers right. I did find it though, thats how I found out how soft it really was. Those soft metals just take alot of care when you touch em. Glad you got it, look forward to seeing how it looks. Na man, I screwed up. I put 229 in the post originally but after the confusion I went back and edited my post. I am going to make a post and put the pics in right now:) :)

Lonus
11-16-2007, 07:00 PM
It is lock-tighted in, use a little heat and it will come out.

cyberthrasher_706
11-16-2007, 07:09 PM
It is lock-tighted in, use a little heat and it will come out.
Well, I don't plan on ever taking it out but that's good to know for my lapse in brain function later. DUH

deano 177
11-17-2007, 12:01 PM
It is lock-tighted in, use a little heat and it will come out. Bzzzz. Tried that. Torch was cooking...:) I used blaster on her too... I didnt see any locking agent when I finally got it out.