PDA

View Full Version : Paint is blowing up in the beginning of the barrel

Bowtie
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
My Pilot ACS just started blowing up paint in the barrel. It's not chopping it. It just gets in the barrel and explodes. For paint, I've used field paint and Premium. It has, on occasion been double feeding balls. I ran several thousand rounds through the gun before this with no problems. This just started occurring.
The guys at my local field think it's the ball detents. But I cleaned them, showed them the ball detents and they said they felt pretty good.

Could the detents be the problem? Could the detents be too stiff? I never compressed bolt spring which I will be doing. But again, the setup I have now has been through several thousand rounds with no problems and now I can't get past 20 shots without breaking paint.

Any advice?

Hossy
11-11-2007, 03:04 PM
What kind of loader do you have?

Bowtie
11-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Empire Reloader 2, Trinity feedneck, Empire Twister barrel. Everything else is factory. The paint blows up in semi mode, 3-shot burst mode or auto.
I'm thinking it might be the paint since it's stored outside and the weather here in FL has changed recently.
My FPS is around 260, give or take.
I haven't had a chance to switch back to the stock barrel but that's what I will try first. I figure if it's not that then it has to be the detents.
I just don't wanna spend $40 for the Kila detents. Kind of expensive for such a small part.

pb34
11-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking the bore of the paint is too big for the barrel. Take the barrel off and try putting a paintball through it with your hand. If you have to struggle to get it through, the balls are too big/barrel bore is too small. To solve this either use smaller balls or get a bigger bored barrel.

Bowtie
11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Most of the paint goes through the barrel with no problems.
Some gets stuck but I can blow it out.

pb34
11-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Hmm ok. Are you sure that it is exploding in the barrel or is some it just getting blown through the barrel. It could be that it's blowing up in the ball chamber. There's also the chance that it is bad paint. How old was it?

I would start with stripping the gun, cleaning and oiling everything, breaking in your ACS bolt, and buying some new paint.

goldenc
11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
i dont kno about florida but i just played over the weekend and my gun was doing the same thing...it is colder up here in PA since i last played though so i put in a softer spring lowered the velocity and the problem was solved...

WhatThaSmurf
11-12-2007, 11:02 PM
When you say the weather has changed in FL, has the air gotten more moist as well as (slightly) colder (God I wish I was in FL)? If it's gotten damp, the moist air might be affecting the balls.

Bowtie
11-13-2007, 08:04 AM
When you say the weather has changed in FL, has the air gotten more moist as well as (slightly) colder (God I wish I was in FL)? If it's gotten damp, the moist air might be affecting the balls.

Cooler and less humidity. And yes, it's awesome that I can play year round. I've only been playing about 6 months so I know I am going to enjoy this winter.

I figure it's one of four things...barrel, detents, bolt or paint. I just have to figure out what is and could cause the problem.

Bowtie
11-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Hmm ok. Are you sure that it is exploding in the barrel or is some it just getting blown through the barrel. It could be that it's blowing up in the ball chamber. There's also the chance that it is bad paint. How old was it?

I would start with stripping the gun, cleaning and oiling everything, breaking in your ACS bolt, and buying some new paint.

It's not breaking or blowing up in the ball chamber. The only place there is paint is the barrel starting about a half inch in.