PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a new gun. I need some help deciding

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 05:00 AM
I know it will be my choice in the end but I thought I would see your thoughts. I'm looking at a Vs2 or a promaster. As of right now I'm going to get the Vs2 but before I buy I need your oppinion.

newkid
11-10-2007, 05:25 AM
vs2, promasters just never appealed to me

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 05:31 AM
well I'm thinking vs2 because it comes good stock. I have a barrel to put on it. the promaster from what i've seen and heard takes alot of money to make it a good gun.

newkid
11-10-2007, 06:00 AM
i think you have to buy an asa seperate too, but dont take my word for it

battlechaser
11-10-2007, 06:11 AM
If if you need an asa.. means you need a reg/reg adapter or front block.

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 06:15 AM
so what would you reccomend? Vs2 or promaster. I mainly play woodsball but I could really care less about camo. The game starts, I run forward, shoot like crazy, push them back to the border of the field, and then my team and I take care of them. I play speedball but not as much.

battlechaser
11-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Never used a promaster, but I'd probably say VS2, Spyders are nice and simple to maintain.

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 06:26 AM
yeah I think I'll get a spyder. promaster is $129 at local store and spyder is $149 before the rebate so $139.

vikingshadow
11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Promaster has a totally different operation than the VS2. Promaster is EP and the VS2 is a sear-tripping, low pressure blowback. Two different guns with two different sets of plusses and minuses. Both are made by very solid and reliable companies.

Blowbacks will have sear-wear issues, along with burping, kick (all though minimal in the VS series case), and spring issues over the long haul. They are also very easy to care for with a lot of aftermarket parts available to upgrade as you will. You can also use Co2 or HPA with these, so this is a plus.

EP has an electronically controlled 2-, 3-, or 4-way solenoid and internal hoses (in the Promaster's case) that could spring leaks and in my experience are a BEAR to connect a lot of the times. Because of this solenoid and hose situation, most EPs can only run on HPA. However, the kick is minimal if it has any at all, they usually run a very, very low pressures (lower than any blowback I've ever seen - saw one running at 80psi once!) are extremely fast and are ready to go in most cases right out of the box, especially the higher level you go.

I've had a couple of teammates with Promasters, and to be honest, they rip pretty hard. Sure, it's a lower cost EP so it's gonna have a couple issues and it's a tall gun compared to today's standards, but it's a really decent mid range gun. The only VS I've shot is Chris Cole and it shot really great, though it felt really blocky and heavy in my hands...

Either one would be a great gun, though. You just have to decide on your flavor!

Kenny_McCormic
11-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Promaster has a totally different operation than the VS2. Promaster is EP and the VS2 is a sear-tripping, low pressure blowback. Two different guns with two different sets of plusses and minuses. Both are made by very solid and reliable companies.

Blowbacks will have sear-wear issues, along with burping, kick (all though minimal in the VS series case), and spring issues over the long haul. They are also very easy to care for with a lot of aftermarket parts available to upgrade as you will. You can also use Co2 or HPA with these, so this is a plus.

EP has an electronically controlled 2-, 3-, or 4-way solenoid and internal hoses (in the Promaster's case) that could spring leaks and in my experience are a BEAR to connect a lot of the times. Because of this solenoid and hose situation, most EPs can only run on HPA. However, the kick is minimal if it has any at all, they usually run a very, very low pressures (lower than any blowback I've ever seen - saw one running at 80psi once!) are extremely fast and are ready to go in most cases right out of the box, especially the higher level you go.

I've had a couple of teammates with Promasters, and to be honest, they rip pretty hard. Sure, it's a lower cost EP so it's gonna have a couple issues and it's a tall gun compared to today's standards, but it's a really decent mid range gun. The only VS I've shot is Chris Cole and it shot really great, though it felt really blocky and heavy in my hands...

Either one would be a great gun, though. You just have to decide on your flavor!
Pretty much what he said but a stock VS2 wont run co2 the reg jut cant handle it, upping the reg to something co2 friendly like a palmer or a torpedo would make it run co2 fine.

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 10:53 AM
What is the threading for promasters? If it isn't spyder (I know it won't be) then I'm not going to get it. I love my barrel, I like it so much that I would not get a gun that does not have spyder threading.

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok I just looked at pbreview and saw the rating of the promaster and vs2. Can Anyone answer what makes the promaster better than the vs2, and what makes the vs2 better than the icd promaster.

vikingshadow
11-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I believe the Promaster is autococker threading.

Again, as far as what makes one better than the other is mainly opinion, as most will base it on the type of operation. One could even look as far as what the tolerances are, and whether ICD has tighter tolerances than Spyder (which we all know that in the past have been less than perfect...)

spray and pray
11-10-2007, 04:18 PM
thanks for all of the help I am going to my loacal store and getting a vs2 for $140 before rebate in 2-4 weeks when he gets his next shipment. (all the good stuff arrives, angel ones, vs2,vs3, ion xe,shocker,and much more.)

TimVanNormal
11-11-2007, 07:08 AM
promaster, all the way.
They are awesome guns

Oscum Guy
11-11-2007, 09:10 AM
i would get the promaster because its electropneumatic. or is it a fasor? ive asked this a million times but i always get confused at the answer.

BloodLustAC
11-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I would go for the Promaster, it's overall a nicer gun and $129 is an amazing price if that's true. If you need a rail/asa no big deal, you can get those cheap used anyways. The VS work well as blowbacks from what I've seen, but EP>LP blowback any day. If you're open to used guns there are even better options out there.

spray and pray
11-11-2007, 12:53 PM
well I'm thinking vs2 because holding a promaster I can't walk it very well.
And for the vs2 I can easily rip 15+ on semi.

SupaSnipa
11-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah go for the VS2. I have now moved on to an E2'd cocker but I would always go back to a vs2 or get one for back up becasue they are simply maintained, simple operation,etc.

VS2>Promaster

Another thing that the VS2 has on the Promaster is the size. The promaster IMO is huge.

spray and pray
11-11-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah. I can't have a huge gun with how I play. I thnik I might have it backwards. I play woodsball like I should speedball and I sometimes play speedball like I should play woodsball...

codymm1014
11-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Im mixed. I had a promaster and it was awesome. It got up to the 20's in bps at 180 psi no kick, 600 shots off a 47 3k. Mine was uppd though. I would get the vs2 though cause my Promaster had a lot of problems with it. Shoots amazing when it worked. Im probably going to be picking up a vs2 soon.

spray and pray
11-11-2007, 03:06 PM
thanks for all the help. I am going to get the vs2.

xsvly-fat
11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
my friend has a vs2 and its a great stock gun

timbertiger20
11-14-2007, 06:24 PM
If your OK used the Freestyle V7 is much better and very little maintanence. They are 0nly $150 or so used. New.....SLG unless you want to go alot higher end!