PDA

View Full Version : Don't use Wikipedia! Well, not for everything, anyways...

vikingshadow
11-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Wikipedia Owner says not to cite his website as a credible source... (http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/1328/wikipedia-founder-discourages-academic-use-of-his-creation)

It's interesting that with the easy accesibility people have to editing things on that particular site, students would actually think it's a credible source. As we (educators and students) continue to discuss the validity of online sources, this article really summed it up well. (Some of the comments were pretty humerous as well....)

I see, especially on online forums, that we too often are willing to take information at face value just because it's been published online. Wikipedia is a valuable resource, so long as you use it in context. For general knowledge, it's a pretty good site - trivia related information, etc...

However, in the interest of education and citing author's work, etc - it's best you just shop elsewhere.

Anywho, just thought it was interesting!

shunut
11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I've known that Wikipedia is not credible for a while. I like going there when I want and answer but I never quote anything on there.

calebh
11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
that's what the footnotes are for. a lot of articles there have tons of footnotes. while teh wikeh is pretty reliable in those cases, i like having the original sources to cite.

i didn't actually read the article, but i think i know where it's going. the problem i have with teh wikeh is that there's so much information. john doe can add that information, but john doe doesn't know if it's actually credible information. so many people to edit, so few experts to police...

i also don't like how it's the ALWAYS the first search result if teh wikeh has an entry for whatever you typed in

marvin-martian
11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
what you do is use wiki to find other people to cite. every page should have a list of sources at the bottom

Hossy
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I've known that Wikipedia is not credible for a while. I like going there when I want and answer but I never quote anything on there.
since like 8th grade my school hasnt let us use Wikipedia....
I still use it for a quick overview, but not for a research project or anything

The Pumper
11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
ya we arent allowed to use wikipedia due to it being on the news.

marvin-martian
11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
ya we arent allowed to use wikipedia due to it being on the news.
its not a matter of "not being allowed to" as much as it is "contains false information, watch out"

The Pumper
11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
ya, we cant even look at it in school...its locked

Oscum Guy
11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
not everyone can edit it now. twas changed. i use it all the time at school and its always worked for me.

Hob Hayward
11-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Wikipedia is god.

As many other said - yeah don't use it for a research paper but, you an look at the footnotes and see where they got the info from originally. Still, for anything else - wikipedia is amazing.

newkid
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
yea i use wiki as my go to site, but looks like I'll have to find a new one

DFSniper
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
a girl in english class did her first essay on using wikipedia as a credible source. her argument was that its a useful database of common knowledge.

xtraking
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
We receive a zero or any work if we cite anything from wikipedia.

You really should only use scholarly/published sources.

Oscum Guy
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
a girl in english class did her first essay on using wikipedia as a credible source. her argument was that its a useful database of common knowledge.
exaclt. its easy to use and contains tons of information.

calebh
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
how much of that information is credible? there's so much information on the internet now, and a ton of it is worthless garbage. wikipedia collects that as well as the credible information. joe blow is not an expert on everything that he edits on teh wikeh.

HelpDeskHustler
11-07-2007, 02:22 AM
There are quite a few theories that people have right now, in real life, that aren't credible. If you randomly pick up something someone has written there is still a chance that it's total BS or that it's completely biased. Wikipedia is an evolving source that works hard to keep it's content unbiased and accurate, and although there is a chance of finding BS, I'd maintain that it's ratio of good information to bad is negligibly different from the real world, it's just distributed over articles a little better. Wikipedia cannot be cited, because it changes so quickly and logs are lost, if each page at each date were given a cached area, and had the every user who logged it marked, then Wikipedia would be closer to being "allowed" by schools. Unfortunately much of this data is purged if it's not a recent enough version of the article.