PDA

View Full Version : poll/open ended survey:

DFSniper
11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
i want your input on an idea like this. if you havent seen my other thread, heres a quick rundown: this is a fully hypothetical thing that i came up with for an english project. one of my sources has to be a primary source, i.e. interview or survey. i'm going to sum it up and would like your input as to:

do you think this would be a good idea?
would it work?
and any other input.

this is my proposal:
A national paintball player database should be created to keep criminals from purchasing paintball markers.
A. It would require anyone wishing to purchase a paintball marker to go through a safety course.
1. The course would include making sure that the prospective purchaser knew what the rules and regulations were and the consequences of breaking the rules.
2. Upon completion of the class, the participant's name would be added to a nationwide database, and a picture I.D. card given.
B. The database would function much like the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and be accessible by anyone.
1. The database would be accessible from any computer with Internet access.
2. Those who were charged with paintball-related crimes would have a mark on their database record and would be prevented from buying paintball markers.
3. The police would be in charge of updating the database.
4. Participation in this program would not be mandatory for stores, but most, especially paintball stores and those who benefit from selling paintball supplies, would comply for the good of the paintball community.
A fee to take the class would cover instructor and material expenses, and a set portion of the fee would cover the upkeep of the database.

tl;dr: read it, its not a vike-length essay. have a nice day!

SupaSnipa
11-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Some of these ideas are nice but some I am kid of oppossed too, however, altogether I think its not a bad idea....except for kids like me who cant buy them because we're not 18 yet (2 years& 7 months away)

HelpDeskHustler
11-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I think this is the worst route paintball can take, no offense.

11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
isn't this the basis for the marvel civil war series?
either way I'm for it
working in a sports stores I see a lot of ppl buy markers with no intent other then to cause mayhem
since there is no age requirement it wont discriminate against minors
I wouldn't require a mandatory safety class just a warning that they know where to find them if they do something stupid

wheres vike?
I figured he would of been the first to post

oldironmudder
11-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Not a bad idea at all. Since a paintball marker CAN be used to do serious harm & even death a simple database could easly be used for the sport.

DFSniper
11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks guys, keep em coming!

I think this is the worst route paintball can take, no offense.

care to elaborate?

oh, and if i decide to quote some of you guys for my essay, does anyone have a problem with me pm'ing you for a full name?

The Pumper
11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I dont think its a good idea.

Here is why.

Anyone can get a paintball marker and bypass the "system". Buying used from PbN or here can easily get into the hands of someone looking to harm others.

Having a system like that would not, in my opinion, help out too well.
The class would take alot of work to get situated and what not.

oldironmudder
11-02-2007, 03:23 PM

care to elaborate?

oh, and if i decide to quote some of you guys for my essay, does anyone have a problem with me pm'ing you for a full name?

I dont mind if I end up saying something smart :p

I do see a problem with it though. Say Joe blow has a buddy(Bill) that plays & has the card & all that stuff. Joe wants to get into paintball & Bill says "go check KUSA out & do some reading." Then Joes like "wow I can get a cheap used marker here dirt cheap!!!" Gets one with out even getting the ID or doing a class......

EDIT Duh the ID number must be used in the transaction!! Unless the system went so far as to keep track of how many markers people own.

The Pumper
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
This is kind of like taking drivers ed before taking your road test for your license. Although you know everything and get your license, you'll still speed or do something illegal.

oldironmudder
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
i want your input on an idea like this. if you havent seen my other thread, heres a quick rundown: this is a fully hypothetical thing that i came up with for an english project. one of my sources has to be a primary source, i.e. interview or survey. i'm going to sum it up and would like your input as to:

45u

newkid
11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I think this is a bad idea, no offense
1.It would be a turn off to people who want to play paintball because its just a huge hassel to deal with imo
2.you dont need to take a course with a real firearm so why should you have to take a course with paintball?

marvin-martian
11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
so youre saying we should legally treat markers like firearms? what would this do to our public image?

The Pumper
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Well seeing how firearms are potentially more dangerous and easier to carry [handguns], paintball markers would be better off at it is now.

You cant destroy our image anymore than it is now. :rolleyes:

DFSniper
11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
so youre saying we should legally treat markers like firearms? what would this do to our public image?

no, ive done research into it, and there are still more strict regulations regarding firearms: minimum waiting periods, registering serial numbers, etc.

I do see a problem with it though. Say Joe blow has a buddy(Bill) that plays & has the card & all that stuff. Joe wants to get into paintball & Bill says "go check KUSA out & do some reading." Then Joes like "wow I can get a cheap used marker here dirt cheap!!!" Gets one with out even getting the ID or doing a class......

EDIT Duh the ID number must be used in the transaction!! Unless the system went so far as to keep track of how many markers people own.
i didnt think of that either until someone mentioned it.

as for the system, it would only keep track of your record, basically a go or no-go situation. but the tracking of the numbers of markers each person owns would work, until the marker got parted out or broken...

since this is purely hypothetical and im only doing this for a grade, i think i'll dismiss second-hand ownerships (which is why i never plan on mentioning pawn shops).

feel free to point out the good parts about it too.

oldironmudder
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
If you wanted you could go as far as a hybrid gun/auto system. Title, ID numbers for the markers & so on.

EX= kingman TL+ made in 2000

KMI (kingman international)
00 year
serial number 1234

number on marker would be = KMI001234

Oh ya, Mags have serial numbers on the valve & that part they go into & I believe numbers matching go for more money than none matching.... << kinda off the wall.

newkid
11-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Well seeing how firearms are potentially more dangerous and easier to carry [handguns], paintball markers would be better off at it is now.
I'm glad someone understands what I'm trying to get to! firearms are more dangerous than paintball guns(I'm not saying pb guns arent dangerous) and you dont need to take any coarse

marvin-martian
11-02-2007, 04:17 PM
no, ive done research into it, and there are still more strict regulations regarding firearms: minimum waiting periods, registering serial numbers, etc.
they do this because firearms are lethal.

as for the system, it would only keep track of your record, basically a go or no-go situation. but the tracking of the numbers of markers each person owns would work, until the marker got parted out or broken...

this wouldnt stop anything. with a firearm, you can trace the bullet back to the gun. you cant do this with a paintball marker due to the type of projectile and operation. what exactly are you trying to stop?

oldironmudder
11-02-2007, 04:18 PM
What about a simple test over the net that would be put onto your file stating you understand the basic rules. Now if you go out & do something stupid & get caught the cops pull your name up & it says you have a database number & you know the basic stuff its your butt.

DFSniper
11-02-2007, 04:51 PM
right, but if you dont, it doesnt do anything.

oldironmudder
11-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Like I heard on the radio this morning on the way to work some kids shot a cop car. Beyond freaking stupid period. They went to jail. Say they hard the cards, & 6 months down the road they went to walmart to get a new marker, gave walmart their card number, BOOM red flag. they walk out pissed off......

Well, the system could go either uphill & do tons of good or so far down the poop shoot it aint funny & possibly harm the sport. Theres so many loop holes in just what you laid out DFS it aint funny.

DFSniper
11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
yeah, i knew that there were some loop holes, and more keep popping up, but its too late for me to start over. no one outside the paintball community is really going to notice the little things, so i'll just run with it and find out how my teachers sees it when i turn it in.

11-02-2007, 07:23 PM

care to elaborate?

go for it
I'm sure no one would have a problem with that :)

Sandman_Bravo
11-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Just what America needs, another black market/underground item.

paintballkid0206
11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
i'm for it. i think it's a good way to keep paintballers from getting into paintball-related trouble and keep the paintball reputation clean.

HelpDeskHustler
11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm with marv, regulating purchases with the police station gives an instant turn off making it look like there is serious danger in the product itself. If store owners had ab association that used a contract before purchase that required users to sign saying they won't use it for illegal actions then had the association sue the buyer if they get caught vandalizing for breach of contract i think that would be fine. Government intervention = not ok, in my mind. Regulation of a product that is statistically shown as not a significant source of danger FOR OTHERS is too close to fascism

deano 177
11-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I think that paintball had a hard enough time getting out of the "Its a weapon or same as a real gun" phase back in the 80's and 90's. To institute some sort of background check would only put the sport in jeopardy of being banned. New Jersey didn't change their laws until '87 to reflect that paintball guns were not firearms.

I voted no.

Ace24
11-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Just what America needs, another black market/underground item.
Thats true... it would be replicated like ID's are... This would require people to know whats a fake and what isn't...

...I say no... but I voted yes by mistake. Heh.

vikingshadow
11-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm not for it, because I don't think it will cut down on crime, nor would it increase the good thoughts on paintball. I just think that because we use "guns" and the attitudes of many of the players are detrimental to the well being of the sport, we'll never gain the status we want. I started a thread a couple weeks ago about turning the sport more into a "league" type sport that would do more for building the sport up, IMO.

However, I also don't think it's a stupid idea, and it possibly could work given that it's handled by someone with a LOT of time on their hands...and that someone may need to have a whole team of someone's to help him/her do such a thing.

But, it seems that, at least on this forum, we've seen something wrong with the sport and have opened dialogues into solving that problem. This is a good first step!

DFSniper
11-08-2007, 06:10 PM
yeah, i talked to my teacher about it today, and pretty much all the loopholes that were mentioned became part of my counter argument, so its a Rogerian essay now, and i think it actually works better. turns out my teacher's niece and nephews play, so she knows a little about it because she's bought them gear for christmas, but she knew nothing about the assaults and vandalism.

MVS1
11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
If registration laws for firearms didn't make a tangible difference in gun related crime, what makes anyone think that registering paintball markers will make a difference. It's a beuracratic (sp) waste of time and money. All it will do is make it a bigger pain in the ass for law abiding citizens. Those that intend on or are just stupid enough to misuse paintball markers will end around any legislation, just like those that misuse guns do. Had to go NO on the poll, reasoning...people are stupid and do stupid things and unfortunately there is not much we can do about it except shake are heads and wonder WTF where they thinking.

WhatThaSmurf
11-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not going to say that it is completely stupid or that it wouldn't work, it's just not practical. What about people buying them as gifts, they wouldn't own it so why would they need to go through a class to buy it. Plus putting some immature kid through a paintball safety class wouldn't stop him from putting a screwdriver down the barrel, unless you showed them that news article about the kids that actually did just so.