PDA

View Full Version : O-Ring Storage??

Jegger24
11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I did some searching, but I didn't come up with anything.....SOOOOO...

Does anyone know if there is any certain way that O-rings are to be stored to prolong their life? As of right now, I keep them in my plastic tackle box. They are divided into separate compartments per size and the box is mainly kept in my bedroom.

I figure that at some time the o-rings must begin to break down and I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to make sure that doesn't happen before it is supposed to...since I just made a large purchase from mcmaster.com! :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

applesauce
11-02-2007, 03:09 AM
keep them out of the sun, and any other extreme conditions, heat/cold/moisture. other then that the plastic box is perfect.

DFSniper
11-02-2007, 09:00 AM
i keep em in zip-loc bags

Jegger24
11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Sounds good...thanks for the input!

druid
11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Jegger...I keep mine in the tackle box too. As applesauce said, keep them out of the sun and out of weather and they should be fine.

I know a couple of guys that pre-oil them in a Ziploc baggie but I could envision that if they aren't used soon (within a month or 2) that the oil might go rancid. Tool or pneumatic oils shouldn't go rancid...but any vegetable-based oil will...

Jegger24
11-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Druid! I've purchased two parts kits from Dye...one had the o-rings in zip loc type bags in the small plastic tackle box; and the other one had them in the box without the bags. :confused:

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!!!