PDA

View Full Version : Remember the free car I was suppose to get? :)

Ace24
10-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Well I've had my 1999 Toyota Camry for around 4 weeks now. I love this car. It's only a four cylinder, but it's AMAZING on gas milage. I honestly can say I don't think I'll ever go back to an American car again. Sure the Buick had more power... but this car has so much more to offer with less weight, size, and somehow more room then the Buick has.

I don't have pics now, since my computer is down and I'm doing all this on my Wii and DS.

I got the car for free from my aunt and uncle. The car has 179100ish miles on it now (Had around 800 less when I got it 4 weeks or so ago. Yes I drive alot, but 200+ of that was returning from my aunts.)

The car needs a new timing belt, water pump and suspension. There is a tiny hole in the exaust where it looks like something snagged on the mesh of it (there is a mesh near the engine where the pipe leads off) so it's a tiny bit smelly when idling... but other then that it is in amazing condition. There are only two rust spots (and those are from dents where paint has chipped off and it's not major rust.) with hardly to no rust underneath the car. That's hard to find with northern cars with all the salt they lay down on the roads up here.

My girlfriends father insisted that I bring the car over to his place (he loves the fact that I got an import and not an American car... :dodgy: ) and he'll help me with the timing belt and water pump. Now, here is my question: Is this an easy job on a small four cylinder?

There is alot of room under the hood... but I have never done this before. (One of the few things I haven't) so I don't know anything about the difficulty. I just don't want him screwing it up and then having to go to the shop and pay someone $200 in labor to fix it. (They will charge that much... sadly. Parts will only run me around $60)

I have another question too... but since I've typed alot, I'll let the first get answered before I continue.

Thanks to anyone who read this all and can help. :)

Hossy
10-31-2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

no offense or anything, but why do you keep asking questions to us about how to fix your car, or whatever, when this is a paintball forum? I know a few guys can help, like Mike or Jimmy, but you never thought about going to a Car forum?

Ace24
10-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Because it's the off topic and there are quite a few members on here... plus I'm lazy.
It's not just a question thread... but more of an update with pictures soon to follow.

I've got some nice plans for this car when I finish the repairs it needs.

Come spring I'll be getting the paint touched up and the bumper painted and putting on the rims I wanted. The GF is getting me a radio that my iPod will plug directly into and I can control it from the radio unit directly with the songs and everything reading out on the faceplate of the radio. (She insisted in paying me back for the birthday present I got her. [Red and black Nintendo DS Lite w/ Pokemon Diamond])

I've also been looking into window tinting.

10-31-2007, 09:42 PM
you don't know what good gas mileage is until you drive a geo
50+ miles to the gallon

Oscum Guy
11-01-2007, 06:42 AM
ds has an internet browser????

Critical
11-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Timing belt shouldn't be difficult if the GF's father knows what he's doing, plus it sounds like you know at least some, so that will help too. As far as the exhaust leak, short/medium-term, locate the leak, and cover it with JB Weld, won't be pretty, but should stop the leak.

Ace24
11-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes the DS has an internet browser.

Geo's are GM's garbage though. Yeah they get good gas milage... but I don't want to go somewhere uncomfortably and feel like I'm driving a P.O.S. All the Geo's I've ever driven feel cheap... like Dodge Neon's.

I've never heard of someone getting 50mpg on a GEO though...

I get at least 32+ highway and around 28+ city.

The Buick was rated at around 27 highway (wich I think I got less of) and 22 city.

HelpDeskHustler
11-01-2007, 11:46 AM
wtf.... what kind of ds has an internet browser.... mine doesnt!

Ace24
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
...the kind you purchase.

I got my internet browser for $15.

DFSniper
11-01-2007, 02:28 PM
i almost picked up a browser in germany for $40... but my wireless didnt want to work at my house...

anyway, back to the car: import=:dodgy: but i cant say anything because i may have to get a civic or accord for my first car, but i really like my moms focus! it gets like 30 mpg too.

thechubbss12
11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Ahh Yes... Props on jumping into the right car scene..

Timing belt changes are realy simple... They involve a few hours of grunting a groaning about small bolts only to climax in the event you totaly screw up by turning a rear balancer when you have a Timing belt removed.... AHHAA anyone who has done this will be chuckling right now. Because i have...

IMO Toyotas are trash... But then again im a Honda guy....

battlechaser
11-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Keep in mind, I'm also a Honda guy... but any manufacturer that puts out car that can handle above 400hp on stock internals (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsu [well... not so much Mitsus.. ;)] ), is fine in my books. :)

Props on Ace's 'aquirement' of free stuff!

newkid
11-02-2007, 03:56 PM
my mom had a '99 it was a good car but lacks the umpf toyota>honda

Ace24
11-03-2007, 07:56 AM
I wish I had the V6 version... heh. I miss the V6 the Buick had... but I love the gas milage. The only real time I feel held back is when I get my fat friends in the back and the car drives like it's dragging something... haha.

I found a hood scoop in the garage... >.< *giggle* Yay free stuff... :dodgy:

Yeah I heard it's easy, but also easy to **** up. If you do **** up, you're -1 engine.