PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever wonder?

vikingshadow
10-26-2007, 12:04 PM
So, I have the day off, and I'm sitting in the courthouse today, waiting to be called as a witness in this child custody case on a student of mine, (yeah, lucky me...:( ) and it just came to me. Why does paintball depend SOLELY on tournaments to determine ability and ranking?

High school sports have the right formula, I feel, and it's been going strong for what, a hundred years or so? They have districts, and different teams within the district play each other, multiple times a year, then at the end of the season the teams that have won the most get together and play to determine a "state" championship.

Why hasn't anyone ever decided to form leagues in which a team travels to another team's home field where they play a best out of 7 or so games. The winner of that series gets points or whatever for winning that series, then the next week either stays at home or travels to another team's field to play again. At the end of the season, total the number of points each team has, have a district tournament, determine who moves to the state playoffs, etc and etc....

As it is, people have to save up for several weeks in a row, skimping (unless they're lucky enough to have sponsors that will pay for their paint and travel expenses) just so they can most usually travel hundreds of miles to play against people from other states. I can visualize, in my plan, that not only would attitudes be put in their rightful place, but eventually, with the steady influx of money earned by teams buying paint on a weekly basis, prices could possibly drop and actual REAL statistics on teams and REAL skills be developed and maybe the world might accept the game as it truly is - a sport!

I may just be rambling, but I think playing a "game" ala high school style each week would be much more fun that waiting a month, two months, 3 or more just to find a tournament that would be suitable to play in...

Discuss, if you like - blow it off, if you like, but please debate this in a mature way!

The Pumper
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I've been wondering the same thing and I cant seem to figure it out. It sounds like it'd be fun but may be difficult finding enough players for each week.

Tournaments are just scheduled playings for teams. Just because you're not on a team, people assume you're not good. Everyone's mind is mainstream, most of them anyways.

timmyshoota
10-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Cost. Its the number one factor in most everything to do with paintball.

Oscum Guy
10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
it'd be cool

Drefish99
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
$$$ The great and faithful dollar.

Tournaments make a lot of money not only for the venue but also tourism for the area. Keeping it this way keeps a lot of people happy. There is a lot of greed in paintball that I believe is keeping the sport from excelling. Just my .02

MVS1
10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Vike I tried getting something similar to this going on base here. We have all kinds of Intermurral Sports on base, so I thought, why not paintball. I got (or at least I thought I got) all the key decision makers on board with the idea, we have a field already, the outdoor rec runs it, and does dismal business since most of the serious players go to the field out in town because its more established. So, I got 10 4-man teams to commit, showed how the outdoor rec would make a tidey little profit selling paint and air (~$12K over an 10 week season), sold the idea to base leadership and they thought it was an excellent idea, all was good, until the 200 lbs. chick that runs the service's organization (who actually owns the field and equipment) shot us down. One simple-minded fool ruined it for all of us.
I would love to see more organized activities for those of us that don't want to or just can't afford the time or money to run all over the country. If this sport ever wants to step up to the next level, something like this has got to happen, or it will remain a "fringe" sport that most people don't understand or just could completely careless about.

STRIKEFIRST
10-26-2007, 03:10 PM
same here...I thought of a format similar to current formats out there, with a twist of a max number of paintballs per player. 3 to 5 players per team. similar to what we call "hopper games" here where you obviously get one full hopper per game. For a league setting more paint would be allowed.

Also sorry "chipsters" BPS would be limited to 15. hopefully allowing more skill and strategy when combined with a paint per game limit.

All combined hopefully a more "affordable" and enjoyable gaming solution.

I have more ideas how to break down states into districts with regional, state and national finals.

Just some thoughts.

STRIKEFIRST
10-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Vike I tried getting something similar to this going on base here. We have all kinds of Intermurral Sports on base, so I thought, why not paintball. I got (or at least I thought I got) all the key decision makers on board with the idea, we have a field already, the outdoor rec runs it, and does dismal business since most of the serious players go to the field out in town because its more established. So, I got 10 4-man teams to commit, showed how the outdoor rec would make a tidey little profit selling paint and air (~$12K over an 10 week season), sold the idea to base leadership and they thought it was an excellent idea, all was good, until the 200 lbs. chick that runs the service's organization (who actually owns the field and equipment) shot us down. One simple-minded fool ruined it for all of us.
I would love to see more organized activities for those of us that don't want to or just can't afford the time or money to run all over the country. If this sport ever wants to step up to the next level, something like this has got to happen, or it will remain a "fringe" sport that most people don't understand or just could completely careless about.

Maybe it's just going to take a handful of people in each state to start it out. Rent a field for a monthly or bi monthly (one day maybe weekly) tourneys. Start a business and make the cash ourselves off paint and air. I still have my contacts from when I had the store in KY...still get my dealer flyers...wouldn't be too hard to start.

AHHHH dreamin again...looking at a house with some acreage...Mwahahahahaha

rodeoshooter
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
I would think anyone who owns a field/facility would be wise to start a league. Maybe its been tried, but hey, there are bowling leagues, kickball leagues, dodgeball leagues, golf leagues, etc. etc.. Why not paintball leagues? It'd be a steady source of income for a field owner. One could even offer discounts for practice time at the facility for teams.

newkid
10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
same here...I thought of a format similar to current formats out there, with a twist of a max number of paintballs per player. 3 to 5 players per team. similar to what we call "hopper games" here where you obviously get one full hopper per game. For a league setting more paint would be allowed.

Also sorry "chipsters" BPS would be limited to 15. hopefully allowing more skill and strategy when combined with a paint per game limit.

All combined hopefully a more "affordable" and enjoyable gaming solution.

I have more ideas how to break down states into districts with regional, state and national finals.

Just some thoughts.
I agree and I think setting paintball up in a baseball kind of way, play multiple rounds a day in a series of a few days would be cool

vikingshadow
10-27-2007, 04:14 AM
I've been giving this some more thought, and I think I've come up with a reason that may make it more difficult than even money.

Team loyalty. Or rather, the lack of it. I don't know how it is in other states but here in Oklahoma, kids switch teams more than they switch their underwear. They usually start on this team, talk about how they'll be the next big thing, MAYBE make it to a tournament or two then split up once they make it into the top 3 or 4 of that particular tournament.

Before I quit Catalyst, we had been a team for about 3 years. That made us one of the longest running teams in the state at that point. Granted, we had 14 different members during that time, but we were still a team. Around OKC and Tulsa, we constantly reading on the forums how so and so is on this team now, or they're starting a new team, or so and so got into it with so and so and left for another team, etc. Then came the conglomeration of all the paintball players showing up to [insert field name here] and if you were cool or if you wanted to be the best, you had to play [insert field name here]...no loyalty to any one particular field or team whatsoever.

I would think anyone who owns a field/facility would be wise to start a league. Maybe its been tried, but hey, there are bowling leagues, kickball leagues, dodgeball leagues, golf leagues, etc. etc.. Why not paintball leagues? It'd be a steady source of income for a field owner. One could even offer discounts for practice time at the facility for teams.

I don't think a "league" is the answer. It doesn't promote loyalty to their individual team, but loyalty to the league. I used to think that bad attitude was the number one problem with tournament paintball players, and it still does rank high, but I think most players have a skewed sense of what a team actually consists of.

One thing I noticed is that around here, the majority of paintball players have not concept of a "team" sport. They never played in high school, or summers. Those members of my team that stuck around the whole time were the ones that played organized sports in high school and during the summers. They knew what it was like to be loyal to ONE team, no matter what.

So, the main obstacles to making the sport more acceptable and mainstream would be these, from what I'm reading so far:

1. Money
2. Loyalty to a particular team
3. Time

If a person could get at least 5-6 fields to build a field team, then set up a schedule where they all played each other over a period of 12-13 weeks, then had a championship series at the end of that time, I think that all these issues could be successfully resolved.

So, I invision it going something like this in the first year:

1. Fields develop a local team.
2. Fields elect a central refing team, that will be trained exactly the same and be able to ref each tournament. No using field players or other teams players as refs as this leads to bias and cheating.
3. Fields AND teams develop a set of rules and set up a chain of command as to who will govern the season. There will be NO promoter as this is not about getting money, but developing the sport and making it more promotability to the audience (parents, families, friends and fans.)
4. Fields and teams select a paint sponsor who will provide paint for that year's games. (Notice, NOT events - this is NOT a tournament series!) To curb greed, the games will restrict their paint use to ONLY this brand of paint, and if the company tries anything, the next year they will not be considered.
5. Fields and teams vote on rules such as whether ramping will be allowed, what type of play ALL the games will follow, how many bunkers, time limit, number of players at a time, what penalties will be given for violation of rules and strictly followed, etc.
6. At the games ALL fields use the same paint for this season, at wholesale prices. They could even limit the amount of paint used per game so that costs are minimal, but skills are developed to refine and reduce the amount of waste.
7. As with high school sports, the field can charge admission to spectators, but no more than considered normal at a regular sporting event of the high school variety. They will not be making money off the teams playing in the event, as in high school, the district doesn't make money off the teams playing either.
8. Games start.
9. The championship game will be between the two highest point receivers over the season. The game should be held at a neutral field as to relieve biasness.
10. Winning team recieves a traveling trophy. If a team should happen to recieve the trophy 3 years in a row, they get to keep the trophy forever and a new one given out the next year.

The rules will include who can play as well. Perhaps set up levels. Sandbagging is a major problem in paintball and it should be stopped - we're teaching young ones that it's ok to cheat to win, and that breeds attitude, IMO.

TL;DR: Go back and read it. We don't need your lazy kind making the sport any worse than it is already seen!

paintballkid0206
10-27-2007, 09:18 AM
my team split up about a month ago. also, my friend's team split up a couple of weeks ago. my team went to one tourney. OPEN CLASS, and we did terrible, but i was fine with it because it was open class, and our first tourney. i guess the other 2 didnt like it. so now i dont have a team. i do think this is a great idea if we can get all the kinks (sp?) worked out of it. if i had a job, and a team, i would definately join in. and again, vike types a page long essay. GO VIKE! see, this is why i idolize you! lol

vikingshadow
10-27-2007, 09:20 AM
It's been awhile since I'd done one of those - thought it was the right time!

STRIKEFIRST
10-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Simply lock each teams roster for the season with one available or two available alternates. With a review of extreme circumstances by the rules committee for change of roster.

Force them to learn to be a team.

MVS1
10-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Vike when I finally get back to OKC we've got to get to together and play, everything you suggested I agree with 100%. Most teams today lack "core values", winning, loosing its all part of the game, key is sticking with it and improving. We currently have a 3 team rivalary going at my local field and it has made each team so much better. Even the black sheep (them are some cheating ***'s) team has come online with the concept of improving tech and skill and it show's. Downside to this region is what I call the "LA" mentality, what's in it for me and how can this get me where I want ME to be.
Ok off the rant...here's a thought to maybe get momentum (sp) going, how about we start something like fanasty football. Put together a team 3-man, 5-man even throw in some local walk-on's; post (HONESTLY!!!) how many games your team wins out of how many played per weekend (Sat or Sun) then we start tracking stat's. Find other local ballers, via other forums, recruits to this forum or even, dare I say it PBN:rolleyes: and start making this into a regional and maybe even state rivalrey (sp). If you post you have to be able to play an post at least 3 scores per month (weekend's you can't play would be considered bye weeks).
I maybe way outside the realm of reality here, but I think this could catch-on. Key is to keep it legit, PBN unfortunately, is full of B.S. so any claims from there would have to be confirmed by another member.
Whatta ya guys think????????

vikingshadow
10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Honestly, I like the idea, and here in Oklahoma we could maybe swing several teams for a district. Our team in Woodward, there's one in Enid, then there are a few I would trust in Tulsa, and one or two in the city.

Problem around here though is that my team isn't allowed to play any of the rec ballers at our field. We have a strict policy that if we do happen to play, we can't be on the same team and most of the time are relegated to being refs and store gophers.

I'd love to get this concept started though - however, like you said, the times I've posted this sort of thing on other forums, I've been all but laughed out of the country. Always the same old, "Why don't you come to Choctaw, N5, Firestorm, etc and play some REAL ballers and improve your skills?" posts.

Chris Cole is from the City as well, so maybe you could hitch a ride with him to our field when you get back! I think it'd be cool to meet another player from OK on these forums...

STRIKEFIRST
10-27-2007, 05:17 PM
If we could enough "adult" (to handle the organization and business end, not to exclude the younger ballers) ballers on board we could start it right here.

the USAPBL?

United States Amatuer Paintball League

vikingshadow
10-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Personally, I think it's the way to go. I know HDH had his thread about how to make it more interesting, but I don't think this was exactly what he was looking for.

However, for those of us just wanting to get some weekly action, playing time, a chance to improve skills on a weekly basis, plus get away from the logistics and hassle of tournament paintball as we know it today, then this is exactly the way to go. ESPECIALLY if it brings in a better fan base (face it, the only fan base it has right now are a buch of people who pay attention to the sport and can see past it's "ganstarizims" and it's "ZOMG!1!!!!!!1111 I so raped you that game!" culture.) Sure there are 10 million players of the game, but think how many fans baseball, football, basketball and soccer have, and where do those players get their skills from? That's right! The weekly game and daily practice.

I'd rather not call it something like that though. Too much like the PSP, NPPL, CFOA, etc. If anything, I think it should just be called "paintball." You know, like "Are you going to the paintball game this weekend?" Similar to, "Are you going to the football game Friday?" We could call it the Oklahoma division league (or series,) Kansas people could call it the Kansas Division league (or series) etc...Then if it gets going really well, the national tournament would be played between the different teams in a region (Midwest, Northwest, Mid Central, Northeast, etc...)

I just thought of another benefit! Think of the talent pool available for the college ranks or to go pro if this gets going!

STRIKEFIRST
10-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I think you just opened a can of worms...

AND I LIKE IT!!!

Ok what would be a good overall name to start with followed by state divisions or series...I'm sure SP will want there cut if we're not somewhat creative ;)

I think if we can agree on the basic setup and rules...I can pitch this to my local guy and make it fly...plus he has a store here in Michigan, now a field with a shop on it and a store in florida.

Plus I can go north to another good sized field I use to haunt and pitch it there. if we do the work on here...I'll pitch "out there" and do my part.

For the love of the game.

Should be easy if we can show profitability to the field owners.

I'm almost giddy...I've been talking about this exact idea for the last two years with my wife!

For the love of the game!

vikingshadow
10-28-2007, 04:26 AM
That's going to be the problem, as there is no real profit for the field owners. Outside of charging fans to watch the games. Paint is going to have to be at wholesale prices because there'd be no way players could afford to play every week at 40 bucks a case. I get my paint at about 20 bucks a case (sponsorship is so cool!) but if I were to shoot 2 cases a week, we're talking 160 bucks in paint alone for the month. That's prohibitive to the cause...

I say we develop the rules for setting up the divisons first. Then work on getting field owners on board with it.

Here are some rules I was thinking up:

1. Divisions should be held to no more than 10 teams, but no less than 6. That way, in a twenty week season, you can play everyone at least twice (once away, and once at home.)

2. Each field owner will have two representatives that will serve on a board of integrity, to ensure that all teams follow certain moral guidelines on the field. Moral guidelines are defined as no cussing, restrained attitudes, etc. The guidelines set up by this committee will be followed by ALL field teams at ALL games. Discipline and penalties will also be decided by this committee.

3. A group of refs, no more than 8 but no less than 6 will be chosen by this committee. This can be per field, per area, or per district as determined by the committee. The reffing staff may not contain field sponsored team players, or family members of team members or the field owner. The refs will be fully versed in the rules of the series, and strive to uphold the highest standards this series was developed for.

4. All fields will be required to have [insert paint sponsor] as the paint supplier for that particular season. The field owners can determine who that sponsor can be amongst theirselves. This will ensure that all players use the same paint, all season long. Owners will keep the paint in as fresh condition as possible.

5. NO field teams will have a player that has played higher than D4 in a "professional" event, such as the PSP or NPPL. If it is found that a team is "sandbagging", defined as having any player or players that should be ranked higher than those playing in the league due to experience in tournaments. Those field teams found sandbagging, by committee review, will be disqualified, all points taken away, and the field owner being placed under review, which may include termination from any series event in the future.

6. A predetermined number of points will be decided for the winners of each "game." A "game" will be 7 matches, and the winner will be the team with the most matches won.

I have more, but I think that the rules must be intentionally tough and we must strive to follow them. That's the only way people are going to take us seriously!

newkid
10-28-2007, 06:05 AM
to stop team switching have owners, managers, and contracts

STRIKEFIRST
10-28-2007, 07:41 AM
20 weeks may be a little long in michigan....kinda cold...plus we need time for make up games.

Our local guy sells mid grade paint for 32 a case. I'll see what he can do.

I like what you have so far.

I'll drop this by my rep from archon once we get things somewhat solidified. Maybe if we have the players become members of the "National division" (so we have an accesible database for player identification) maybe we can get a paint company archon/zap (I still talk to my rep now and again), KINGMAN (cough, cough) to work with local field owners to supply paint for the actual events (events only, not practices) at a huge discount. That way the manufacturers aren't donating paint, the field owners could get a couple bucks a case, the players play cheap and the paint manufacturer (sponsor) gets great advertisement.

should ther be league fees/dues to help offset the cost of the field owners and/or the league costs themselves?

Plus a paint limit per game would greatly control the cost. every week players would know exactly the maximum amount of paint that would be required.

rodeoshooter
10-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think a "league" is the answer. It doesn't promote loyalty to their individual team, but loyalty to the league. I used to think that bad attitude was the number one problem with tournament paintball players, and it still does rank high, but I think most players have a skewed sense of what a team actually consists of.

One thing I noticed is that around here, the majority of paintball players have not concept of a "team" sport. They never played in high school, or summers. Those members of my team that stuck around the whole time were the ones that played organized sports in high school and during the summers. They knew what it was like to be loyal to ONE team, no matter what.

So, the main obstacles to making the sport more acceptable and mainstream would be these, from what I'm reading so far:

1. Money
2. Loyalty to a particular team
3. Time

If a person could get at least 5-6 fields to build a field team, then set up a schedule where they all played each other over a period of 12-13 weeks, then had a championship series at the end of that time, I think that all these issues could be successfully resolved.

So, I invision it going something like this in the first year:

1. Fields develop a local team.
2. Fields elect a central refing team, that will be trained exactly the same and be able to ref each tournament. No using field players or other teams players as refs as this leads to bias and cheating.
3. Fields AND teams develop a set of rules and set up a chain of command as to who will govern the season. There will be NO promoter as this is not about getting money, but developing the sport and making it more promotability to the audience (parents, families, friends and fans.)
4. Fields and teams select a paint sponsor who will provide paint for that year's games. (Notice, NOT events - this is NOT a tournament series!) To curb greed, the games will restrict their paint use to ONLY this brand of paint, and if the company tries anything, the next year they will not be considered.
5. Fields and teams vote on rules such as whether ramping will be allowed, what type of play ALL the games will follow, how many bunkers, time limit, number of players at a time, what penalties will be given for violation of rules and strictly followed, etc.
6. At the games ALL fields use the same paint for this season, at wholesale prices. They could even limit the amount of paint used per game so that costs are minimal, but skills are developed to refine and reduce the amount of waste.
7. As with high school sports, the field can charge admission to spectators, but no more than considered normal at a regular sporting event of the high school variety. They will not be making money off the teams playing in the event, as in high school, the district doesn't make money off the teams playing either.
8. Games start.
9. The championship game will be between the two highest point receivers over the season. The game should be held at a neutral field as to relieve biasness.
10. Winning team recieves a traveling trophy. If a team should happen to recieve the trophy 3 years in a row, they get to keep the trophy forever and a new one given out the next year.

The rules will include who can play as well. Perhaps set up levels. Sandbagging is a major problem in paintball and it should be stopped - we're teaching young ones that it's ok to cheat to win, and that breeds attitude, IMO.

TL;DR: Go back and read it. We don't need your lazy kind making the sport any worse than it is already seen!

You say a "league" is not the answer, then you go on to describe ....a "league"! Just because it may involve teams from different fields doesn't make it any less of a league. The reason kids don't see paintball as a team sport is because it hasn't been presented to them that way. They're used to just showing up and hooking up with whoever's there that day. Setting up a league with locked rosters over a certain period of time (8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, whatever, with a game per week), a preset schedule, rules, etc. would help foster those types of loyalties.

I agree that the prohibitive aspect to all this is cost. The field owners have to make money somehow. Charge a team registration fee, set up a certain day for the games, and maybe a day for organized practice as a part of the registration fee. Then sell paint at discount rates for the games. Air is included in the fee. As a parent I pay fees for my kids private music lessons, basketball leagues, music camps, etc. etc. It's no different. Just make sure its organized, well thought out, and professional so the parents realize it's a worthwhile activity.

If I owned a field I would do this in a heartbeat. It will ultimately drive interest in the sport up and give kids more of a reason to play, as well as helping to market it to parents as a true sport rather than just some other hobby or activity.

STRIKEFIRST
10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
You say a "league" is not the answer, then you go on to describe ....a "league"! Just because it may involve teams from different fields doesn't make it any less of a league. The reason kids don't see paintball as a team sport is because it hasn't been presented to them that way. They're used to just showing up and hooking up with whoever's there that day. Setting up a league with locked rosters over a certain period of time (8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, whatever, with a game per week), a preset schedule, rules, etc. would help foster those types of loyalties.

I agree that the prohibitive aspect to all this is cost. The field owners have to make money somehow. Charge a team registration fee, set up a certain day for the games, and maybe a day for organized practice as a part of the registration fee. Then sell paint at discount rates for the games. Air is included in the fee. As a parent I pay fees for my kids private music lessons, basketball leagues, music camps, etc. etc. It's no different. Just make sure its organized, well thought out, and professional so the parents realize it's a worthwhile activity.

If I owned a field I would do this in a heartbeat. It will ultimately drive interest in the sport up and give kids more of a reason to play, as well as helping to market it to parents as a true sport rather than just some other hobby or activity.

I think we are all on the same page. I need to take all my notes and organize them so i can present them here. I think we need to get this rolling.

I have some more ideas just no time to put them out there tonight.

mv540
10-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Well, here in Guatemala are planning on doind so; since all teams are in the same area (the city) and a local field that's is located in the city, are planning on making some type of lueague just like Vikes saying.

It will be like 1 game per month, the most 2. and lets say a sunday, "Team blue" vs "team red", Team white vs Team purple. Then next sunday, team soldiers vs team gray, TEAM WHITE vs team snake...and so on.

Lets see if it can make it down here, cause all teams are based on the city, so the most drive to the field, would be 1 hour.

DFSniper
10-31-2007, 01:09 PM
the main thing that i see that would keep this from working (other than cost) is availability. you would need to get a lot of fields close to each other involved. high school sports, for example, already have transportation set up from school to school, and they dont have to drive very far to go to games because all games are in the same county or neighboring counties (for the most part. my sister went from Ft. Knox to Ft. Campbell a few weeks ago for a football game). if a team has to drive a few hours just to play another team, its going to detract a lot of interest from potential players.

vikingshadow
10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
You must not live in NW Oklahoma, LOL! Our teams have been known to have to drive more than a couple of hours to play teams in their division because there just aren't schools close to each other out here.

However, I understand that not all areas are like this, and understand what you're saying.

I didn't mean that the concept wasn't an idea such as a league, I meant that the TERM league shouldn't be used. It keeps it in the elitist train of thought and loyalty to the "league" is created instead of loyalty to the team and sport. That's why people trade teams so often. If we could reinforce the concept of TEAM play instead of LEAGUE play, then I think we'd see more stability within the sport...

badlandsrox
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
If we could enough "adult" (to handle the organization and business end, not to exclude the younger ballers) ballers on board we could start it right here.

the USAPBL?

United States Amatuer Paintball League

What about including canada, and calling it the NAPBL (North American Paintball leauge)
or have a wee bit of a "World Series" of paintball and have 2 seperate (Canada, and U.S) leauges, and the top say... 4 teams from each country meet up to crown the top team in north america.
The time to do something along the lines of a paintball leauge is NOW, with so many new sports rising quickly through the ratings, within a few years, it could be up there with some of the medium size sport leauges (lets face it, paintball will never be like Footbal and Baseball in the United States, or Hockey and lacrosse in canada)

TXTeague
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Vike...
You might check this (http://www.houstonrookieleague.com/blog/?page_id=8) out. It is a "league" that plays in my area. They have been pretty successful with it. It started out with multiple fields, much like your idea, however it is now all held at one location. Turn-out tends to be better when held at one field because not everyone is willing to travel. I also think it would be hard to have multiple fields agree to a single paint (i.e. my paint supplier is better than yours type of thing). I could be wrong though. Please don't think of me trying to rain on your parade because I would love to see something like this happen.

At one point we had another "league" going on at the same time as this but it has gone away. Here (http://www.paintballzone.net/STARS/STARSindex.html) is the info from that one. Then to add to this we had a local shop that would host their own one day tourney for prizes. The biggest problem that I have seen with this was the greed of some of the field owners. With the two "leagues" they would schedule their events for the season then the one shop would tend to have a tourney either the same date or near it and many teams would have to choose. This would dilute the playing field and one or the other would suffer for it (not enough teams to "make") or teams would opt for the game with the best prizes.

On a side note, you can tell those replying to this thread are "older" due to the length of the responses. Seems we are willing to put more thought and effort into our posts. :rolleyes:

STRIKEFIRST
11-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Here we're talking about each field having multiple teams playing themselves at there field. (if we have enough teams at each field) each field would be equal to a conference per say. Then the top teams at the end of the season would travel to different fields for the playoffs.

several fields would be a conference, several conferences would be a region and of course the regions part of a state.

similar to high school yet less travel until the big show begins. The further you go in the playoffs the more travel that would be required.

Then as discussed early hopefully a national playoff tournament weekend.

Sorry for the short post...been swamped at home and work.