PDA

View Full Version : 9.6V grip internals vs. 9V

Kittenkiller
10-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I looked on the search engine, but didn't find an answer. I have a Pilot, and it is one of the ones that won't work properly with a traditional 9V battery. Has anyone here ever learned WHY the battery needs to be 9.6V? I mean, somewhere in the grip is something that needs the extra juice. I have a Game Face e-grip that uses regular 9V batteries, and it looks practically identical (considering that I am a layman) to the Pilot grip (minus the LED display, and some stuff on the board- the Game Face is semi only, and no on-board charger). The main stuff, however, looks exactly the same: solenoid, trigger switch, capacitor, etc.
I guess what I am getting at is exactly what component in my Kingman grip needs to be replaced to have it function (as it should) on regular 9V batts.?

Kenny_McCormic
10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Its in the board and noid it needs the extra juice to activate. You could try ohming the noids to see if they are the same or not.

Kittenkiller
10-11-2007, 10:51 PM
By in the board, do you mean something built into the board, or something attached (ie. replaceable) to the board?
I had to ask my insignificant other (:D ) the mechanic about the ohming, and that means measuring electrical resistance. Both solenoids measure 0 ohms, meaning that the circuit is complete in both of them. A measure of any appreciable amount of ohms would indicate a possible short bypassing the load, and a measure of OL would indicate an open circuit and a bad noid. No real info there (but thanks for the suggestion:p ).
There has to be a way to convert this thing. Hmmm, maybe I need to date an electrical engineer:angel: !

camo_mr1
02-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Hmmm, maybe I need to date an electrical engineer:angel: !

find one with a hot daughter that can make my vs3 run off 9v's lol

Kenny_McCormic
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
If you installed aftermarket board with adjustable dwell you could probably run regular 9volt batteries. Basically the stock board puts out a quick voltage spike to the noid, you need 9.6 volts of spike to get a the noid to trip, if increased the length of this spike by buying a board that allowed you to fine tune it you could get enough power to run 9 volts.