PDA

View Full Version : Barrels question.

MK3ma70
10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
What going on fellas? Im brnad new to the paintball scene. I acuatlly just went for the first time las sunday and I had a blast. Anyways, for my first gun, I chose the MR2. I have spent sometime o the forum here and I was wonder if I can get some opinions on some barrels. Just as much as the next guy, i want something no too expensive ($30-$50), something thats going to be quiet and accurate. Also, while I have you guys, what other upgrades would you recommend for a newbie? I already have a good hopper and I would like to get an adjustable stock. I dont know, what do you guys think?

pizzadude
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
It depends entirely on what you want to do - woodsball, field, speedball...

I just bought a Smart Parts Linear 16" for my pump - very quiet and very accurate, but I tend to play in fields and scrub land where stealth is more imprtant than speed (for me).

There are so many different aftermarket barrels available for the Spyder range, that I'm not sure that there is a 'best one'. Generally speaking any polished, clean barrel of 14 - 20" with at least 9" of unported length (from thread) will improve your markers accuracy, the rest is up to you and your experience.

Ported barrels are quieter as porting will reduce some of the audible retort simply by discharging gas prior to the ball exiting the barrel.

Supressors are illegal in the US (as far as I'm aware) so you will never legally be allowed to run totally silent.

Try ebay or online stores (in their sale section?) for bargains. Otherwise, get to know your marker by getting out there and playing. Learn how you play, with your marker, to know what frustrates you and what upgrades you really need.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

darth massacre
10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Lots of guys here go for the J&J 14" ceramic. I have one myself. Works well and is relatively affordable - it also fits inside the MR2 barrel shroud if you don't want any troublesome modding. Some guys here take it to another level, milling down barrels so it fits into the barrel shroud. It really depends on what you want to spend, what you want, and how far you're willing to go to make it fit.

But if you're on a budget and like the MR2 the way it is, the J&J ceramic works great.

Edit: Owning an MR2 means you'll always be attracting attention - quiet doesn't really go with it :D PBgrandpa sold off his sweet looking MR2 coz he's always ganged up upon.