PDA

View Full Version : thinking about quiting paintball

spyderpilotacs05
10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Ok, i was thinking about where i stand in my life. I'm 15 and love golf. I play at least 2 hours after school everyday and i love it. I got into paintball because it was something fun to do with my friends. When i got a job i got into paintball even more, bought my first gun, decent hopper, tank, pants, mask and jearsey. Over the summer i played about every other week and when i was there i would spend some where around 150 dollars. To me that is like a summer membership to a golf course less than 10 minnutes away from my house. I would work 25 hours during the week and just blow most of it of the weekend.

So i was talking to my mom about quitting and she said that she wouldnt let me because i would just pick it up again. I am at that point in my life where i want something better. I want a better gun 400 dollars better hopper 100dollars and a better tank 150 dollars. thats a ton of money. Thats like a new driver and books for collage in the future.

i want a better gun because my wrath is dump in a basket. My 72 3000 tank is heavy and loosens my asa to the point of falling off. My hopper(egg2) says 19 bps but when i set the wrath to 15 cap it out shoots it with full bats.

Its just too expensive for me. What should i do?

bamf-hacker
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Honestly....

Sell the marker, tank and loader. Use that money and get yourself a pump. You will pay much less to play and hone your skills at the same time.

If you look around you can get a used Phantom SC or OC, a 3.5oz tank and either a pocket hopper or some 10 round tubes. Then get one fill and a bag of paint and it will last you weeks.

You will be surprised how long a bag of paint lasts when you are pumping for each shot.

CHAOSFTW
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Honestly....

Sell the marker, tank and loader. Use that money and get yourself a pump. You will pay much less to play and hone your skills at the same time.

If you look around you can get a used Phantom SC or OC, a 3.5oz tank and either a pocket hopper or some 10 round tubes. Then get one fill and a bag of paint and it will last you weeks.

You will be surprised how long a bag of paint lasts when you are pumping for each shot.

yah, he is correct i was in the same position as you cept not with golf. i go drifting every other weekend. on my team and im slowly winning money and stuff but tis still pretty expensive but i love both sports.

Oscum Guy
10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
buy a used 2k5 timmy for less than 250. a used cf tank for 125, browse pbn for a hopper. sometimes you can find a halo for like 75

codymm1014
10-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Same here man. Sell it and go pump. I don't have enough money to spend and I don't even have a job.

PumaPride04
10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
buy a used 2k5 timmy for less than 250. a used cf tank for 125, browse pbn for a hopper. sometimes you can find a halo for like 75
i just sold my bnib halo for 40$ so yea man. just sell your stuff and browse around for some good deals.

NeedForSpeed
10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
What I would do if I were you:

Buy a:
Quest - $250-$300
Halo - tops $50
68/4500 - $125 tops

done

less then $500 for pro-rigged setup.
or
buy a Superstock: $130. Very very nice for the price. Can be upgraded over time with MQ2 valve and other stuff to one hell of a marker.

Ace24
10-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Where the hell do you find a Quest for $250 - $300?

Chaos, what do you drift in?

HelpDeskHustler
10-10-2007, 02:28 AM
get a pump.

NeedForSpeed
10-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Where the hell do you find a Quest for $250 - $300?

Chaos, what do you drift in?

PBN or ebay
They've had a severe price drop because online retailers have been selling them for $400

bamf-hacker
10-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Fellas you are missing the point.

The initial investment in PB is really not a big deal. You can get a gun, tank and loader used for not much these days.

Where PB gets expensive is the paint and air for play. Figure a case of paint is about $30 and all day air is $5. So if you shoot a fast gun and are playing speedball, where you could potentially go through a few cases of paint you could be spending $50-$150 a day to play. You will pay less for woodsball since it is not a fast paced, but you could spend $40-$80.

If you want to play a few times a month the costs can add up.

By going pump you will save on the playing expenses.

Muddytaco
10-10-2007, 09:29 AM
What I would do if I were you:

Buy a:
Quest - $250-$300
Halo - tops $50
68/4500 - $125 tops

done

less then $500 for pro-rigged setup.
or
buy a Superstock: $130. Very very nice for the price. Can be upgraded over time with MQ2 valve and other stuff to one hell of a marker.

Seriously don't buy a quest, never owned one but every single one i have ever seen goes down at some point during the day. Buy a used gun, there is no point in buying brand new when you can pick up really nice gun for dirt cheap.

If you buy a superstock you can't put a MQ2 valve without changing out the board b/c there are no timing adjustments on the s/f frame, which means you have no control over the valve.

I am with bamf, if you still want to play but not spend as much get a pump. You will probably like it more then you think you will. Plus you can play the entire day on one bag of paint.

I almost quit at the beginning of the summer of '06 but then i took a step back and thought about it and decided I didn't really want to stop playing. Take your time and really think about it before you just quit.

The Pumper
10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I 2nd the pump idea.

I love it.

Oscum Guy
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Seriously don't buy a quest, never owned one but every single one i have ever seen goes down at some point during the day. Buy a used gun, there is no point in buying brand new when you can pick up really nice gun for dirt cheap.

If you buy a superstock you can't put a MQ2 valve without changing out the board b/c there are no timing adjustments on the s/f frame, which means you have no control over the valve.

I am with bamf, if you still want to play but not spend as much get a pump. You will probably like it more then you think you will. Plus you can play the entire day on one bag of paint.

I almost quit at the beginning of the summer of '06 but then i took a step back and thought about it and decided I didn't really want to stop playing. Take your time and really think about it before you just quit.
damn my friend just bought a quest

pizzadude
10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
My two cents worth:

I spent 5 years paying for myself to go through college and then university over here in the UK. I'm one year short of acheiving my degree and I've had to withdraw from the university because I couldn't afford to pay for the final year.

I now work full time and enjoy a few more luxuries than I did when I was a career student - but I still have to stick to a budget. For everything.

I am the proud owner of a 1980's pump and still manage to compete against friends with much better, newer equipment and much higher rates of fire. For me, paintballing is a way to have cheap fun with my friends. I don't need to have the latest stuff to enjoy myself or the sport. I'm just stoked to be involved.

It's a no-brainer to me - sell your gear and buy a cheap pump or semi for if you still want to play on the odd weekend. Take whatever cash is left over and stick it in a high interest savings account for the next 5years to put towards college/car/business... whatever.

The fact is that no matter how good your gear is, something newer and better will always come along and cost you more. That's just life. If you really enjoy golf (my own brother is a golf pro and instructor) or paintball, then make a clear choice to sacrifice one of them in favour of the other. Spend your money wisely and invest your time in building relationships with the people at your local club.

Whichever you choice you make - have fun and all the best of luck to you!

spyderpilotacs05
10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
thanks for the help

Kenny_McCormic
10-10-2007, 06:27 PM
So if you shoot a fast gun and are playing speedball, where you could potentially go through a few cases of paint you could be spending $50-$150 a day to play.
What kind of insane trigger happy person goes through more than a case in 6 hours? Thats insane to me even with ****ty paint where i have to shoot alot to hit things i only use a case or so in a day.

But yeah if you find yourself using a case per hour playing front then BUY A PUMP.

NeedForSpeed
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Seriously don't buy a quest, never owned one but every single one i have ever seen goes down at some point during the day.

My Quest has been absolutely great. Most reliable marker I've shot.

As far as the superstock goes..I said overtime upgrade, but I guess I did miss the mark as far as paint sales go.

I'm going to add one more thing.

If I were you and I were worrying about paint and really wanted a new marker I would buy a Prostock cocker. It's mech so you won't be putting out too much paint (one reason as to why I've bought it) and I just picked one up for $65. So far it's been great. You can convert it to a pump if you desire.

I'm throwing that up there now because pump isn't an all the time thing for everyone. Don't get me wrong, it's great to play. I've loved all the times I've played pump but it's a totally different game(even when playing speedball with all the other semis) and I personally would miss being able to shoot semi even if it is only 6-8 bps on a stock Prostock.

770link770
10-14-2007, 07:34 AM
If you do decide to sell out and buy a new gun, I might be able to take that eggy 2 off your hands depending on the price. My bro just got in the game and he wants a little better hopper but nothing special. Message me if you decide to sell.

DFSniper
10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
i almost quit once. 1) because i never played, 2) when i did play i used all my hard earned money. the real big thing is paint. i can go through a case and a half ($60+) in one day, so thats $120+ on paint a weekend, $20+ for field fee, and $20 for air. and this was on a stock Imagine playing woodsball.

my advice: slow down on the paintball, put aside "paintball money" so you dont waste it all at once, sell your gun and tank, buy a slower gun and smaller tank, and buy a faster board for the hopper (less chopping = less wasted paint).