PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Sight

Fantom
10-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Folks,

After having bought and tested a few red dot sights, I think I have found the best.

This is what I have tested:

BSA 30 mm
ADCO Shure-Shot
Horton 30 mm Crossbow Sight
Simons 30 mm

The ADCO sight is rugged but distorts light and is too tall. Fits 3/8 and 7/8 rails.

BSA has good optics but the horizontal control is on the way of the left eye field of view and its red dot is too small. It fits only 7/8 rails.

Horton is great. Good optics. Has three vertical dots for aiming at different distances and at the same time help align the marker vertically. The horizontal adjustment is on the right side so it doesn’t block the left eye field of view. But it is expensive and fits only 7/8 rails.

The Simons 30 mm has a nice size dot, very good optics, the horizontal control is on the right and fits 3/8 and 7/8 rails. And it is fairly inexpensive. Bought mine from Natchez Shooters Supplies, model F78SN800879. This one for me is the winner. I strongly recommend it.

jbtoronto
10-04-2007, 01:32 PM
they don't let you use this at any paintball places...sucks

jbtoronto
10-17-2007, 07:18 AM
this is what i got instead for my piece:

TASTO scope

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc151/jbtoronto/100_3969.jpg

druid
10-17-2007, 08:50 AM
they don't let you use this at any paintball places...sucks

JB...a red dot is not the same as a laser. 99% of the fields I've gone to don't allow LASERS...but a red dot is just a small, [usually] non-magnifying scope...with a red dot, shined onto the inside of the forward lense (not emitting a beam outside the unit).

Fantom
10-17-2007, 07:27 PM
JB,

Nice MR2. I noticed your mod buttstock. I did the same but found it not as convenient as using a JC folding stock.

By the way, do you use the Tasco scope for aiming?

jbtoronto
10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
OH no man I know what the red dot sight is....i just thought u guys were talking about laser one...anyways

Im getting a laser dot for a 24hr scenario game on the 27th goess from noon till noon the 28th...

The scope i didnt get it for aiming...obviously a scope would only work at full with a real rifle due to balistcs - I GOT BASICALLY TO LOOK AHEAD FOR ENEMY FORCES-GATHERING INFO AROUND-AND WHY NOT A LONG SHOT STEADY HIDING COULD HELP OUT TOO.

Fantom
10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
OH no man I know what the red dot sight is....i just thought u guys were talking about laser one...anyways

Im getting a laser dot for a 24hr scenario game on the 27th goess from noon till noon the 28th...

The scope i didnt get it for aiming...obviously a scope would only work at full with a real rifle due to balistcs - I GOT BASICALLY TO LOOK AHEAD FOR ENEMY FORCES-GATHERING INFO AROUND-AND WHY NOT A LONG SHOT STEADY HIDING COULD HELP OUT TOO.

About the scope....that is a great use for it.

I normally use glasses, but when playing paintball, I take them off because of the fogging/mask problems and I loose a lot of my ability to distinguish detail. Now, if I could only mount a scope with a huge objective lens, such as a spotting scope........

druid
10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Fantom...you can mount a spotting scope but the ocular-end lense is too small and too far from your eye to work well.

Consider a handgun scope. Their objectives are wider and you get about 24" of eye relief.

Ace24
10-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I love my Tasco ProPoint Red/Green dot 42mm sight. 5 different BATTERY powered light settings for both the green and red dot. I can see the dot in any condition and the large 42mm viewing area is nice relief on the eyes. It is also easier to see out of and nicer for longer periods of time behind the sight.

It's sturdy and fully adjustable with windage and vert adjusters.

Fantom
10-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Fantom...you can mount a spotting scope but the ocular-end lense is too small and too far from your eye to work well.

Consider a handgun scope. Their objectives are wider and you get about 24" of eye relief.

Thankfully I have a Leupold 2x. I'll see what I can do to mount it...thanks for the idea.

thebiest
11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
About the scope....that is a great use for it.

I normally use glasses, but when playing paintball, I take them off because of the fogging/mask problems and I loose a lot of my ability to distinguish detail. Now, if I could only mount a scope with a huge objective lens, such as a spotting scope........

or you could wear contacts? just putting it out there

Varent212
01-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Baska has a really good red dot sight. and it cost me only $25.00. i recommend it. im using it on my mr1