PDA

View Full Version : Project D is coming?

timbertiger20
09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Project D is coming........but I don't know entirely what it is? But I found the logo on the MacDev website!
http://www.macdev.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=115

shunut
09-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Hmmm, wonder what it could be, looks like I'm going to have to browse the PBN pages to see if I can find anything.

timbertiger20
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Keep browsing.......this could be the biggest secret in paintball! Wish I could say more :)

shunut
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I looked through everything I could, didn't find anything on it. I saw it mentioned a couple times but no real info on it.

Maxx-Damage
09-17-2007, 06:24 PM
To state the obvious, maybe its a new better cyborg?

timmyshoota
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Timber mentioned having an 07 Borg on the way to him. Since he's kinda a dealer for MacDev, I doubt he'd buy an 07 Borg now, when a new gun is coming out soon.

timbertiger20
09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Who said I buy them......pfft....all I can say is......I'd bet on MacDev for the biggest changes for this coming year on PBN :)

applesauce
09-18-2007, 04:14 AM
I bet its a new t-shirt line....

bamf-hacker
09-18-2007, 05:17 AM
It is a Dan line of markers made specifically for me :)

timbertiger20
09-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm working on getting them to make a pump........LOL

shunut
09-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Timber, do you really know what Project D is? Are you just sparking our interest? or are you in the dark too? I don't want you to reveal the secret, I love stuff like this, builds up hype, just wondering if you actually know.

timbertiger20
09-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I know very little more than you! They are trying to spark the hype up. This year instead of relasing their products early.......they want to be last. All I know is I get mine first :) Actually make that I get two first :)

timbertiger20
09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
You know what's worse than wondering about a rumor.........knowing something huge and being told I can't spill the beans:mad:

bigred76
09-18-2007, 06:45 PM
You can always share with your closed-mouth buddy Red. ;)

Theheroguy
09-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I hope its another ion competitor around $300-$500

timbertiger20
09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Well I can assure you that no matter what cost.......they would not produce a marker comparable to am ION!

applesauce
09-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Well I can assure you that no matter what cost.......they would not produce a marker comparable to am ION!

yea, ions are pretty untouchable....

HelpDeskHustler
09-23-2007, 12:48 PM
yea, ions are pretty untouchable....
hold up! ions can be some of best shooting markers out there, but SP chose a production method designed to cut cost and introduce it as an entry level marker. ION design could have been perfect if they wanted a tourney audience. Look what after market companies have done with it... if it really had no potential and was "untouchable". ions are tighter than dm's when you kill the duckbill, can hit 35+ bps with a qev, new board and light bolt, and with the L7, or hollowpoint it can get nearly 2000 shots per 68/4500 fill and have nearly no kick at all. Not to mention it's quieter than almost every gun out of the box.

timbertiger20
09-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Again.......show be the BPS reading on my pact and I'll show you it can't do it. We have an Ion with the L7 and every upgraded part imaginable. It is teched by Smart Parts tech's and shoots OK sometimes. It still doesn't get 1600 out of a 68/45. Now how much money is in that Ion? My point being MacDev prides themselves on markers that don't need upgrades and so far every after market attempt except triggers and grips has ultimately been a complete failure! They won't release a low end marker with loose tolerances!

applesauce
09-23-2007, 01:35 PM
whoa whoa whoa fellas! i was just playing around, for what they are, ions are pretty solid. I dont have any exp with macdev so i wouldn't know where they stand up to anything! my buddy has a stock ion and i think its pretty ok, save for that nasty trigger.

bigred76
09-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I can compare a Borg to an Ion, actually. Ion IS a helluva lot tighter, but it also feels like absolute ****. The Borg is bigger, as per it's design, and feels like it was made for me. I don't know about you, but if all the specs are the same and for about the same price... I'd take the ****in' Borg. You can have as many damned Ion-hammers as you want. ;)

timbertiger20
09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
OK, guys well I'm allowed to tell you a little more!
Project D set for release at PSP World Cup 2007

MacDev have been secretly working on this for over 2 years, with work done under the name Project D. For all those team members and contributors that have helped to keep this quiet, thankyou very much, and for everyone else, we are now proud to release some advanced info.

Droid.

Project D is a new gun designed and manufactured by MacDev, we have named it Droid. This new gun is not a Cyborg, and it is not intended to replace the Cyborg. The Cyborg and Droid will both be available, and the Cyborg has a very bright future, with a new model set for release in the first quarter of 2008.

The Droid will be set in the high end bracket, with a retail price of over $US1,000, it will be an alternative option to players who want to have a high quality and high performance single tube paintball marker.

The details.

The Droid is designed to breathe new life into the single tube gun market. MacDev designers have made some very interesting innovations that are designed to increase the reliability and efficiency which is always lacking in conventional spool designs. These innovations have led to significant reliability and efficiency advantages, and patents will be granted for them soon.

The Droid features lightweight construction, extensive 3D surface milling and a small, comfortable playing profile.

More info and pics coming soon.

To any one interested in purchasing one....I will have a few :) I know alot more info on the project but I wait for James to say I can release it. Otherwise I don't get to know anything cool! I will also be at Cup for anyone wanting to play with my new toys and I will be all over the west coast with a MacDev display booth at alot of scenario's. I'll keep people informed!

timbertiger20
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
http://irregulators.com/My%20Pictures/droid-teaser-1.jpg

TheRedBarron
09-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Im sorry I built one hell of an Ion, and even then the only thing it had on my borg was the fact that I didnt feel bad just tossing it around.

Timber if you keep teasing me I am going to drop kick you.

Muddytaco
09-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Edit: nvm should of looked through the thread first, timber already posted it:rolleyes:

timbertiger20
09-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't think I'm allowed to give out the specs! But I don't think your Ion could come close :) Think if they went from a Cyborg to a spooler......they probably lost a little efficiency and a little speed......but if there weren't major benefits elsewhere.......they probably wouldn't have done it! I have two coming my way at CUP :)

And for you Borg guys........well there are some changes being made on that platform as well. Stay tuned :)

TheRedBarron
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
... *dropkick*

timbertiger20
09-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a demo model but it's flying around the country! It'll be at Vike's house after Cup......assuming it makes it back I could put you in line? Otherwise I could have to order another one!

So everyone knows.....some of you may have seen the new European Pickadoll or whatever it's called. You'll notice this is a brand new company with a brand new marker and Ignition jumped on top of a sponsorship.........actually you'll notice it has a very similar internal design because they were testing the Droid for James well it was in development. In other words they stole his design!

applesauce
09-30-2007, 06:10 PM
I wanna try it out too!

timbertiger20
10-01-2007, 01:32 AM
It's going to be limited to a few people here on KUSA.......If your in the Nothwest any time soon I can make sure you get to shoot it! Vike promised to do a review that will probably get published! And I have someone else doing some custom carbon fiber triggers!

TheRedBarron
10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Timber, I would love to be added to the list, I will do a tech review after reading vikes, 2 different points of view ;) that and I need to see if I should buy a ton of them for the shop ;)

bigred76
10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm on the West Coast... ;) I could shoot it and give you a third view! :D

timbertiger20
10-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Timber, I would love to be added to the list, I will do a tech review after reading vikes, 2 different points of view ;) that and I need to see if I should buy a ton of them for the shop ;)

Hmm would you buy them through me? Maybe we should chat!

TheRedBarron
10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Hmm would you buy them through me? Maybe we should chat!
Throw me a PM buddy.

applesauce
10-04-2007, 06:51 AM
"If your in the Nothwest any time soon I can make sure you get to shoot it"

Dont you mean Midwest??? :)

timbertiger20
10-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Nope NorthWest.......one of our guys from Ohio will have one though!

timbertiger20
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Look what they finally let out of the bag today! http://www.macdev.net/images/stories/News/droid-blue.jpg

HelpDeskHustler
10-04-2007, 06:24 PM
i really hate how far the grip is out, but i hear that it promotes better shooting stability. I prefer to loose hand it, and have tension on the front, with no wrap around.

overall it looks pretty nice.

Paintballadict18
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
:yeahthat:

i like it

Muddytaco
10-04-2007, 07:14 PM
iffy on looks till i see real pic of one.

Jobberwocky
10-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Reminds me of an A1 - I like it :D

I think it looks good, but maybe not exceptionally unique given all the single tubes lately...

timbertiger20
10-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Well here is the thing........You have a single tube milled down as light as possible. What that leave you with?........a tube on the outside without much metal to work with. One of the main reason the design is sleek and smooth and maybe not as distinct as everyone might want is that the goal was to produce a marker that didn't break paint and only took 15 seconds to wipe down and toss back into your marker case! I think he accomplished that!

HelpDeskHustler
10-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Well here is the thing........You have a single tube milled down as light as possible. What that leave you with?........a tube on the outside without much metal to work with. One of the main reason the design is sleek and smooth and maybe not as distinct as everyone might want is that the goal was to produce a marker that didn't break paint and only took 15 seconds to wipe down and toss back into your marker case! I think he accomplished that!
he must have had not even a mm left if he couldn't recess the eye screw a bit more, or hide it like smartparts and dye do with theirs.

timmyshoota
10-06-2007, 02:04 PM
We better save some server space right now if Vike is gonna do a review. :p No offense to Vike at all, because I think he'll do a good review, but it would also be beneficial to have someone like Matt, or Muddy, or me, who have owned everything under the sun to do a review to be able to compare it to more guns on the market.

I'm gonna wait til I see a real pic before I pass judgement. Timber, you should take a picture and post it as soon as they unveil it at World Cup. Since I most likely won't be there, and I don't want to wait until someone else posts a pic.

vikingshadow
10-06-2007, 02:57 PM
We better save some server space right now if Vike is gonna do a review. :p No offense to Vike at all, because I think he'll do a good review, but it would also be beneficial to have someone like Matt, or Muddy, or me, who have owned everything under the sun to do a review to be able to compare it to more guns on the market.

No offense taken.

However, in my defense, I won't be comparing it to other guns, unless it's to other single tube and spool valves of which the DM is the only one I haven't owned, but actually have shot several times. I believe that having owned several blow backs, a few FASORS, a couple of spoolies, and a pin valve ep, as well as having shot just about everything out there at one time or another makes me just as qualified as people who have owned everything - for a couple of weeks - before getting rid of them for something else. (No offense to any of you guys!) I don't think being a gun whore would be necessary to give it a fair, unbiased review. Nice plug at trying to steal my thunder though! :D

JP'ing on that last part!

I'm getting anxious to get this thing and give it the once over. Besides, I haven't posted but once or twice in the last three or four weeks, and those were very short. We have plenty of server space!

timmyshoota
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
No offense taken.

However, in my defense, I won't be comparing it to other guns, unless it's to other single tube and spool valves of which the DM is the only one I haven't owned, but actually have shot several times. I believe that having owned several blow backs, a few FASORS, a couple of spoolies, and a pin valve ep, as well as having shot just about everything out there at one time or another makes me just as qualified as people who have owned everything - for a couple of weeks - before getting rid of them for something else. (No offense to any of you guys!) I don't think being a gun whore would be necessary to give it a fair, unbiased review. Nice plug at trying to steal my thunder though! :D

JP'ing on that last part!

I'm getting anxious to get this thing and give it the once over. Besides, I haven't posted but once or twice in the last three or four weeks, and those were very short. We have plenty of server space!

Thats the only reason I suggested for someone else also doing a review. You know everyone always wants to compare new guns to every other gun under the sun. The people I suggested were just people who are knowledgeable on many different guns and have lots of hands on experience with them to do comparisons. I don't have nearly enough time on my hands to do a review, but I'm sure Matt or Muddy do. I'd like to shoot one and see how I like it before thinking about making a purchase though.

vikingshadow
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I understand, and that's perfectly fine. I'll tell you up front, I'm going to write my review based entirely on the facts of the gun itself. How it shoots, what kind of efficiency it gets, how it feels, accuracy of the stock barrel, internals, how it looks, what kind of kick it has, etc. I'll probably end up comparing it to shockers, timmies, DMs and PMs just a bit because those are the guns I'm very familiar with, but it's going to be as unbiased and as concise and clear as I can make it. Yep, it'll be full of pictures and probably a bit windy! ;) But isn't that what a full review of a new marker should be?

But, before we decide how irrelevant my review is going to be ahead of time, or who should and shouldn't review it (as far as I remember, I was asked to do this. I didn't volunteer for it - although I'm MORE than happy to do so because I was flattered by the request! Thanks again, Timber!), let's wait and see how I actually write it. Who knows? It might be pretty good. I did pretty good with my Rail review, I thought!

timmyshoota
10-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I never said you shouldn't do a review, I never said you'd do a bad review and I never said your review would be irrelevant. Please stop trying to make it look like I did.

vikingshadow
10-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok. First, of all, I apologize because I guess I took it as you were implying that my review might not be AS good based on the fact that I wasn't the owner of all the newest guns. I thought it might sway some of the other readers into not taking me seriously. I have a big thing about wanting people to trust me and respect my opinion. Sorry about that.

Secondly, I wasn't trying to imply that at all about you. At least, I don't think I was, although now that I read what I typed in the last paragraph I could see where it could be implied. So, let's both stop and let the discussion about the gun continue. K?

TheRedBarron
10-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Vike makes great reviews, I only offered to do so for 2 reasons, 1. I want to test this ahead of time to get an idea of how many I want/will need, 2. I have owned and shot nearly everything out there and want to do a comparison review compared to vikes full tech review, I look forward to reading his review first though because it will give me an idea of what to expect and to look for.

timmyshoota
10-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Vike makes great reviews, I only offered to do so for 2 reasons, 1. I want to test this ahead of time to get an idea of how many I want/will need, 2. I have owned and shot nearly everything out there and want to do a comparison review compared to vikes full tech review, I look forward to reading his review first though because it will give me an idea of what to expect and to look for.

The only reason I mentioned it is because I want to see a comparison, and i figured Vike wouldn't do one like I'm interested in. I know it'll be a very good and thorough review though. I look forward to it, but for my buying purposes, a comparison would do me good. I'm sorry if it came off as if I was downing Vike's review.

Edit: And uh Matt, return my PM or AIM me.

vikingshadow
10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey, Timmy - Don't worry about it - it's all gone away now! But, let me know exactly what you want to know and I'll try to get that in there as well. If you want to compare it to something like a Marq or whatever, I may be able to do that because I have several friends who have different types of guns, and we have a tournament coming up tomorrow that I'm reffing and they may be there. I'm going to write this to accomodate everyone, so you can help me by letting me know what you want to see!

Much <3 TRB! :flowerred:

timmyshoota
10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Marq, DM7 Shocker NXT are 3 that I'd like it compared to, because those are the 3 guns I'm looking at purchasing at the beginning of the year. I'm actually looking at the DM8, but I don't forsee much change for the DM8 over the DM7. If you get your hands on any of those to be able to do a comparison, that'd be great.

vikingshadow
10-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I think I can do all three of those so I gotcha covered!

DM 8 not so sure though, cause I don't think people are going to really go for those as much, IMO. The DM7, like the PM7, I think is kind of at the pinnacle of those particular lines and a new gun with just a change in milling with an 8 put on the end of it for 1200 bucks, well, you know where I'm going. I mean, unless they make a MAJOR change, like MacDev did with this new Droid, what else is left? But I'll try to find one...

timbertiger20
10-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I got my 08 Borg's coming up to :) Well all I can say is what other's have posted on PBN......Lighter than the Current Ego, a touch over 1800 per 68/45, and they are shooting paint that fails a drop test of well below knee height! Everything else that I know isn't allowed to be said. That can all be found on PBN so...... also I have told Muddy he's also in line as he is making a couple of trigger versions and will be allowed to sell to the MD crowd! If anyone is seriously intrested in purchasing these let me know. There will be a very limited amount at cup and well.......most of them are going to me :)

timmyshoota
10-07-2007, 06:34 AM
They need to do away with the Merlin extrusion on the 08 Borg. If they start making their own bodies, they can eliminate the one thing I don't like about Borgs: they are inherently tall, thanks to the Merlin body.

timbertiger20
10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I think you'll be quite suprised at the Cyborg improvements next year!

Muddytaco
10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Real pics of droid:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3769/blueaf5.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/113/bloodbe2.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4858/limeqn4.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1583/purplebo6.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2332/olivemo3.jpg

edit, forgot one:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/mullet869/side.jpg

Muddytaco
10-11-2007, 09:48 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/muddytaco2/blackdroid.jpg

photoshopped black one

NeedForSpeed
10-11-2007, 10:00 PM
not gonna lie. At first glance I thought it was a shocker. I want a green one.

Muddytaco
10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
photoshoped some more:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/muddytaco2/greybluedroid.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/muddytaco2/stormdroid.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/muddytaco2/vampiredroid.jpg

Drefish99
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Whats the price on these things going to be? Sorry haven't followed the thread.

timbertiger20
10-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I think I bought most of the green ones. So who wants one?

timbertiger20
10-11-2007, 10:52 PM
LOL.....we'd all like to know.....rough guess between $1000 and $1100 I am mixing and matching my Blue and green. Want to photoshop that?

Quick note those are all photoshoped except the red on at www.macdev.net

timbertiger20
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
James announced it is operating at 100 psi today and a video will be out today or tomorrow!

DFSniper
10-16-2007, 06:52 PM
nice! i actually like the Stormtrooper one. and the green one looks awesome... wish i had money!

applesauce
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
just a quick observation, there are two alan screws right next to each other. one for the frame and one for the reg mount?? anyway, i can maybe see this being a structural week spot on the gun. any thoughts?

timbertiger20
10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
There is another screw inside the vertical ASA and a solid metal pin to prevent rotation. I believe it is Identical to what they the Borgs! Never heard of an issue!

Paintballadict18
10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
hey muddy since its october u should photoshop a orange and black one, only so i can have it as my background but we all appreciate ur work :D

applesauce
10-18-2007, 05:20 AM
what are the two holes under the barrel for?

vikingshadow
10-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Just guessing, but I'd say they're air passages, similar to the ones on the Shocker, just in the front instead of the back. IF they're like the Shocker, then there are filters in there as well.

Edit: I say "like" the shocker, but I just noticed there may be two more in the back of the gun. Maybe it has four different air passages...

timbertiger20
10-18-2007, 08:44 AM
I doubt you'll find any filters! If you look the Borg has one as well. MacDev hasn't released a marker with airlines in the last 4 years. The only airline you'll ever have to deal with is macro. Only 5 days out :) I'll send you some pics when I get there!

timbertiger20
10-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Updates through-out cup for this marker will be made at macdevog.com

calebh
10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
not gonna lie. At first glance I thought it was a shocker.
ya, me too. what's the deal on internals?

timbertiger20
10-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Internally there are lots of o-rings. At first it's kind of scary but there are only 2 that are capable of truly wearing out. All the rest are air seals that get no friction. It's smooth, fast, and the coolest thing......put your finger down the breech and pull the trigger. It will fire and when it encounters resistance it will catually vent the air out. Also if from some reason your marker went down you could slap a new bolt in in 20 seconds and continue on. The marker at the shop has gone 9 months with no lube and is yet to need an o-ring replaced. I did see one of the tourny droids go down so far. It came in spiking drastically. We opened the reg and found some dirt and a fire ant? Fire ant was sitting right on the reg seat! I through some close up pics of marker on macdevog

Oh one last piece of info.......45/4500 filled to 3500 psi.......just over 1000 rounds before empty!

calebh
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
sounds pretty sweet, and i'm loving the efficiency. unfortunately, it's way out of my price range. does it use eyes, or does it just have that bolt?

also, would the bolt stop on my tongue? lol

timbertiger20
10-27-2007, 08:03 PM
also, would the bolt stop on my tongue? lol

I didn't think to try.......yes it has eyes!

timbertiger20
11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Vike has my newest toy and he hasn't even showed pics yet :(

Team Ramrod
11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Timber, can you give any info on the Borgs for this season? When they comming out... and all that jazz!!

timbertiger20
11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
I can only tell you what's been revealed........they are so busy with Droid production they will probably wait until 08 Cup. It has been released that it is a totally new design based on a poppet valve!

vikingshadow
11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey guys! Sorry about the lack of info... been putting in some very late nights lately. Working late most nights, games last night, date-night/honey-do things tonight. I'll seriously try and get some pics up here tomorrow, and possibly a short review (short for me, that is!)

I pulled into the house at around 11 last night and found it on my front porch. Right now, all I can say is hmmmmm???, and WOW! Wait until I tell you about it....sometime in the next few days!

:devil:

DFSniper
11-30-2007, 08:29 PM
wow vike, and i thought i was busy... guess i should stop procrastinating and start on my finals stuff...

cant wait for a review!

WhatThaSmurf
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh crap! Finals!

:rushes off to do school stuff:

timbertiger20
11-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Here's a pic of my other one..........Does Blue stand out in the woods? When the Black one gets home I'll have Black and Blue and Blue and Black :) At least until team guns are out!
http://www.nitehawkpaintball.com/images/500_HPIM0289.jpg

vikingshadow
12-02-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14073

Go there for a partial review of the Droid! Also for a few pics...

vikingshadow
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey, Robert -

Clear out your PM box, man! I sent you an email and need to know if you got it.

timbertiger20
12-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Got it thanks!

timbertiger20
12-24-2007, 09:31 PM
I got my Black Droid.......forgot how sexy the Black ones were........one of these days he'll update his review on here!