PDA

View Full Version : superbowl refs: yay or nay?

maximus100389
02-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Obviously, I'm from Seattle and I wanted the Hawks to win, but I cannot deal with everyone around my school still talking about how "bad" the refs were. It's like they are trying to find an excuse of why we didn't win, which honestly, I didn't expect to.

The first TD attempt we made which had the call of Offensive Passing Interfereance looked kinda obvious to me. Whether or not it had any impact on if he caught the ball doesn't really matter. You shouldn't be doing anything that would even look like a foul.

The other TD attempt we had was the one where the receiver stepped out of bounds with his right foot, before he came into the EZ. Not a TD for sure.

3rd discrepincy is the 1 yard dive the Steelers had that looked short but was called a TD. I didn't really watch the replays enough to figure out whether or not it was actually a TD.

The other 2 Steeler TDs were definitly the Hawks fault; the Steelers deserved those and they were clearly TDs.

What I want from you guys is input about all of the calls that might seem a little wish-washy. I've tried talking to people around my area about whether or not that 1 yard dive was a TD, but I can't get any sensible talk out of people. It's always "OH MY GOD I WANT TO KILL THOSE REFS!" or "THOSE REFS SUCKED WE SHOULD HAVE WON!" I want some intelligent conversation so I can understand whether or not the refs made bad calls.

:cool:

shunut
02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
The first TD attempt the defender made contact with the receiver at the goalline beyond the 5 or 10 yard contact rule and wasn't called on that. Also he contacted the receiver before the so called "push off" just as much as the receiver contacted him so where was the pass interference on him.

The TD that Ben got was not a TD. The ball never broke the plane of the goalline until after he was clearly down. When he took the ball out from under him and put it out over the goalline.

There are many, many calls that could have changed things. However Seattles play calling in the finally couple minutes of play was horrible. I could name all the bad calls I saw but that could take forever. I'll leave a couple for others that I know will like to post here.

durrell
02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I can not believe the awful calls they made.

First TD attempt of offensive pass interference was a bullcrap call. He didn't affect the defender, he changed routes and shook the defender, he didn't even make the defender lose his balance. Should have been a TD without a doubt.

The out of bounds one I can see, but that leads me to the next bad call..

The attempt where Rothelisberger was clearly still in the playing field and the camera zoomed on him putting the ball into the endzone. The ball was underneath his chest, and his helmet was barely across the goal line. How are they going to say the ball was "in the plane"? It never was. He didn't dive with the ball out, he would have fumbled it. He had the ball close to his chest the entire time and fell short of the TD so he put the ball into the endzone and they called it a touchdown. Because of that ruling, the out of bounds call should have been overturned and they should have given them the TD because if they want to talk about being in the plane, he was over the endzone before his right foot touched the out of bounds line because he was able to knock the pylon down with his other foot.

AND THEN a play that could have gotten Seattle a CRUCIAL first down, they refs called a foul on Hasselback for clipping or something when he was already going down to block someone or something..a stupid call, I was so pissed off at that call because it cost ANOTHER touchdown drive..

The refs were obviously VERY intimidated by the Steelers players and fans and called an AWFUL game. Possibly one of the worst called Super Bowls I have ever watched..the Seahawks outplayed the Steelers on both sides of the ball, but the Steelers had a 12th man..and he was wearing black and white stripes.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2006/0206/photo/a_seahawks_412.jpg

durrell
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Taken from ESPN.com:

Here's what referee Bill Leavy's crew did, point blank: It robbed Seattle. The Seahawks could have played better, sure. They could have done more to overcome the poor officiating. We understand that those things happen and all, but even with all the points Seattle left on the field, there's a good chance the Seahawks would have scored more than the Steelers if the officials had let the players play.

and

In the offseason, 31 teams will be back at the drawing board, evaluating what they need to do to knock off the Steelers in the fall. After the postseason they just had, Mike Pereira and the NFL's crew of officials would be wise to take a long, hard look at themselves. It's a real shame when, on the game's biggest stage, the major players aren't players at all. We saw too much of the third team in Super Bowl XL and not enough Seahawks and Steelers.

I couldn't agree more. The Steelers were handed this win because of Jerome Bettis, and that's that. Had this game been played on the west coast with a Seahawk majority of fans, it would have been a whole different ball game.

Nader
02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Excuses excuses...
some calls were questionable, but the steelers came to play....seahawks came to lose.

maximus100389
02-06-2006, 09:24 PM
hey nader, next time i ask for intelligent remarks please follow by making an intelligent remark.

oh and the hawks actually outplayed the steelers in the #s. more first downs, more yards, better completed pass ratio, ect

SnOoZ
02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I think all the calls were right.
The first seattle touchdown that got called for offensive pass interference was a good call. I DO NOT think that that rule should be in the game but SINCE IT IS the ref had to call it. robinson clearly made contact with the defender by pushing off him while changing directions which u wouldnt think would make that big of difference but it does cuz it gives the receiver momentum and also make the defender loss momentum

for the Big ben TD was to close to overturn it could have gone either way BUT since the ref called it a TD it was a TD and so when the tried to review it, it was to close to overturn, for the ref to overturn a call it has to be indusputable evidence that it was touchdown in this case which he didnt no i do not think it went over but u cant blame the ref for making that call it was a matter of an inch id like to see u go out there and trie to ref that game without being bias

and for the one where the seahawks receiver got the ball and went out of bounds or landed outta bounds i cant say anything bout becuz i do not know the rule for that if the pilon counts as inbounds or not cuz i know in some cases it may but not in this 1

and just to let u guys know I DID WANT THE SEAHAWKS TO WIN... but they didnt :(

maximus100389
02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
and for the one where the seahawks receiver got the ball and went out of bounds or landed outta bounds i cant say anything bout becuz i do not know the rule for that if the pilon counts as inbounds or not cuz i know in some cases it may but not in this 1

the rule for this is that if you catch the ball while ur feet are off the ground, BOTH of your feet have to touch inbounds in order for it to be a complete pass. the receiver only got one foot inbounds.

Nader
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by maximus100389
hey nader, next time i ask for intelligent remarks please follow by making an intelligent remark.

sorry man...thought sport were all about the friendly arguments...and thats what I thought this was.
I should have read your first post more thouroughly, I didn't catch the part about "intelligence".

But I agree with durrel. The first TD seahawks had should have been a touchdown, no question.
About all the other calls, I believe they were so close that they could have gone either way
and the refs had to make a call.
There's no way to call the grey areas. Every supporter will choose the way his team went and back it up fervently.
The game may have been played to the crowd, maybe not. No one can tell for sure.

About my comment "Seahawks came to lose." :
I said that because I believe that coming into the game, seahawks were a bit intimidated by a team like the steelers. They had already lost it in their hearts. When Steelers began to dominate, they gave up.

Skill wise, the teams were almost dead even. Both teams played great. It may have been the refs that decided the game, and it may have been heart. Believe what you want.

Remember, it's just a game.

maximus100389
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
ok, just make sure you say what you actually mean. when you say something that looks offensive to me im going to tell you thats just how i am.

durrell
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I think all the calls were right.
The first seattle touchdown that got called for offensive pass interference was a good call. I DO NOT think that that rule should be in the game but SINCE IT IS the ref had to call it. robinson clearly made contact with the defender by pushing off him while changing directions which u wouldnt think would make that big of difference but it does cuz it gives the receiver momentum and also make the defender loss momentum

It didnt affect the reciever's momentum, he only touched his jersey, if that much.

for the Big ben TD was to close to overturn it could have gone either way BUT since the ref called it a TD it was a TD and so when the tried to review it, it was to close to overturn, for the ref to overturn a call it has to be indusputable evidence that it was touchdown in this case which he didnt no i do not think it went over but u cant blame the ref for making that call it was a matter of an inch id like to see u go out there and trie to ref that game without being bias

There was no bias there, the camera clearly showed him moving the ball from the 1 yard line into the end zone and then looking for the refs to see if they had caught it.

and just to let u guys know I DID WANT THE SEAHAWKS TO WIN... but they didnt :(

And about the Seahawks coming to play, they did. Hasselback was like 4 for 4 before the first drive stalled. Then the stupid calls started pouring in, and I can't much blame him for giving up.

maximus100389
02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
yeah but i think, as snooz said, after you make a call there has to be INDISPUTABLE evidence to turn it around, and since the ball was pretty freakin close i dont know if they were legally allowed to turn it back over.

i mean, i ref soccer games and there are a lot more detailed rules that play into the game than the standard player or parents will know about. and players and parents get mad just from being ignorant.

Nader
02-06-2006, 09:48 PM
ok, just make sure you say what you actually mean. when you say something that looks offensive to me im going to tell you thats just how i am.

thats cool with me, I'm the same way sometimes.

durrell
02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Well I thought the evidence was pretty indisputable, I mean..if you can't see the ball, but you can see the entire goal line clearly..it's obviously not a touchdown. Most analysts agree with me there, but I do see what you're saying..it has to be indisputable. The pass interference I can understand being called, but I don't agree with it when they didn't call any of the defensive pass interferences that should have been called..overall the bad calls FAR outweigh the good and ultimately affected the outcome of the game.

Warnichek
02-07-2006, 08:19 AM
First off...YAY Steelers!

second..very sloppy game on both sides. I am a Steelers fan from way back. The first touchdown by Ben was a little shackey at best. But I wasn't going to get upset about that, obviously. The pass interference call in the endzone was a good call by the ref. He was standing 4 feet behind him when it happened. Even if it was just a little touch or shrug, he did touch the defender in a way that was pass interference. Put in this way. If you wiped paint off of yourself in the field just a little, it is still a wipe. Same thing.

Last... what was that crappy play calling at the end of the game by Seattle and did the coach ever come out to talk to Pittsburgh's coach? I did want to see Shaun Alexander do good cause he is from my home state. ROLL TIDE!

FredPo
02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Refs cost the Seakhawks the game. If they wouldn't had made that stupid holding call when the seahawks completed that pass on the 1 yard line, they would have scored (thanks to Mr. Alexander) and it would have certainly changed the outcome of the game. Nay, Nay, Nay.

Fred

scrappy
02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
IMO the Steelers won in the worst way possible. It wasn't domination, it looked like they were gifted some key plays. They still won though.

Also, Hasselback's "chop block" call was total bull. You can't get called for a chop block when you're tackling the ball carrier. There's no way he could have thrown a clip or block after he threw the ball all the way downfield.

Hoppy11
02-07-2006, 12:04 PM
OK, in reply to Snooz.. or whatever. If that is a good call.. then there would never be another touchdown pass thrown. Look at EVERY SINGLE good wide reciever ever, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, TO (as much as an ass that he is, hes still good), Micheal Irvin.. the list goes on and on. Every single pass they have caught they push off. Some times more then others but that was the pansies push off I've ever seen so it was BS. Only call I really had a problem with.

*EM1-Master*
02-07-2006, 01:14 PM
This article says it all, and the Superbowl just proves that ALL Americans are spastic and sore losers...

Without further delay:

------------------------------------------

And yet, the Steelers won by 11, covering the spread with ease. Conspiracy theories arrived moments later.

The refs stole it.

The NFL "wanted'' this.

The Seahawks were really the better team.

Look, the game itself was 3 hours and 36 minutes of yawns. I think we can all pretty much agree on that. I loved the story lines, but the game, not so much.

But to simply dismiss the Steelers victory as an act of referee kindness is to take a Bettis-sized leap of faith.

Sorry, but Seahawks receiver Darrell Jackson pushed off in the end zone. Did it gain him an advantage? Maybe. Maybe not. All that matters is that the official standing nearby -- a lot closer than John Madden, you or me -- thought so. Instead of a touchdown, Seattle settled for a 3-0 first quarter lead.

Sorry, but Roethlisberger might have broken the plane of the goal line on his second quarter 1-yard TD dive. Or not. That's what matters, right? Not where he landed, but if the ball broke the plane? The play was reviewed and upheld. What else was anyone supposed to do? And while there are no guarantees, if the ball had been spotted just short of the goal line, the Steelers were 100 percent on fourth-and-goals this season.

Sorry, I truly don't know whether Sean Locklear held Clark Haggans on that key fourth quarter call. Even if he didn't, and it was first-and-goal from the Pittsburgh 1, then what? If you can't guarantee Pittsburgh's scoring on fourth-and-inches in the second quarter, you can't guarantee Seattle's scoring on first-and-goal from the 1. Why? Because funny things happen, like the Bettis fumble against Indy. Or Roethlisberger's underthrowing a wide-open Cedrick Wilson against Seattle, costing the Steelers a sure touchdown or a likely field goal (the ball was at the Seahawks' 7). Instead, Kelly Herndon intercepted the crummy pass, returned it 76 yards and Seattle scored three plays later.

No one can deny there were questionable calls during the game. But before Holmgren and Latte Nation start whining about playing "the guys in the striped shirts as well,'' perhaps a history lesson is in order.
The striped shirts didn't cause tight end Jerramy Stevens to drop four passes. The striped shirts didn't cause the Seahawks defense to give up a Steelers first down on a third-and-28 situation (which later led to the Roethlisberger disputed TD). The striped shirts didn't cause the Seahawks defense to give up the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history. They also didn't cause Etric Pruitt to sprint up from his safety position, only to be fooled by the trick play that resulted in Randle El's 43-yard TD pass to Ward (and by the way, if everyone knows the Steelers like to run gadget plays near midfield, don't you think the Seahawks knew it too?). Or cause Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to throw a killer interception with nearly 11 minutes left in the game and Seattle trailing by only four points.

Enough already with the whining. The Seahawks had their chances. Plenty of them to overcome the Steelers and, if they insist, the refs, too.

Holmgren, who didn't exactly distinguish himself in the waning minutes of both halves, is no doubt suffering some post-Super Bowl anger. Perfectly understandable, especially in front of the thousands who greeted the team upon its return to Seattle. But days, weeks, months from now, when he's able to think more clearly, he'll realize the only people to blame for the loss were wearing Seahawks metallic blue, not black and white.

*EM1-Master*
02-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Refs cost the Seakhawks the game. If they wouldn't had made that stupid holding call when the seahawks completed that pass on the 1 yard line, they would have scored (thanks to Mr. Alexander) and it would have certainly changed the outcome of the game. Nay, Nay, Nay.

Fred
Two things to say: 11 point spread, and I've never seen such a big guy cry...:p

QAZ123
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Screw the game screw the ref's...... The commercial's were horrible!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

JB.

ricochet08
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
lol this sounds like the conversation that went on in my geometry class 2day :)