PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with 900 dollars?

Nenkitsune
09-15-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm too lazy to post everything again, so go here
My 1978 280z
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125782

bigred76
09-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Lazy ass... :)

"Eck" level car on the TRB scale. ;)

Maxx-Damage
09-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Decent for 900. Considering it runs to.

Its definalty a eck

kidonfire
09-15-2007, 07:08 AM
three words. Pimp. My. Ride.

brsport102
09-15-2007, 08:12 AM
what would i do with 900 dollars.. well first geta nice carwash :) othen then that nice deal for 900 dollars!

Nenkitsune
09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
actually, i washed off all the dirt this morning. looks much better. I'm doing a valve adjustment on it in about 10 minutes

DFSniper
09-15-2007, 11:25 AM
nice. just curious, dont know if you know, but what year did nissan buy out datsun? (i used to know but forgot...) i actually had a substitute in 9th grade who drove a light blue one, looked to be in almost immaculate condition.

bigred76
09-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Since you cleaned it, I'll elevate my rating to a "meh..." :)

xsgmike66x
09-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Not that bad, could be alot better. I actaully like these cars and is has alot of potential IMO. Do you have any big plans for it?

Nenkitsune
09-15-2007, 01:59 PM
nice. just curious, dont know if you know, but what year did nissan buy out datsun? (i used to know but forgot...) i actually had a substitute in 9th grade who drove a light blue one, looked to be in almost immaculate condition.
Datsun IS Nissan. Nissan didn't want to put their name on export products, so they would call them Datsun. up until around the 80's (just like how acura is honda, infinity is toyota)

I adjusted the valves. No more smoke. nasty gas is in the lines again, and it has an exhaust leak, but it's gettin there. I might get a new stock manifold.

oldironmudder
09-15-2007, 02:02 PM
LAZY!!!

Not a bad project car. 900 bucks?? 350 sbc & turbo 400

Nenkitsune
09-15-2007, 02:30 PM
why am I lazy? I just spend the past 2 hours adjusting the valves on my car OUTSIDE IN THE SUN (well it's overcasted)

oldironmudder
09-15-2007, 02:40 PM
why am I lazy? I just spend the past 2 hours adjusting the valves on my car OUTSIDE IN THE SUN (well it's overcasted)

2 HOURS!!!!!!!!! I can do like 4 motors in that time easy IN THE RAIN!!!

Ahh just messing with ya man. I went to school for auto & diesel so I know a few short cuts :p

08Lud08
09-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I know how you feel about the heat, I spent 10 hours every day helping my dad fix three cars for a week. the worst part about it was it feels about 10 degrees hotter because of the humidity, one reason why I hate Miami. Its nice but after you get it running you may want to focus on the interior.

Nenkitsune
09-15-2007, 02:55 PM
nope, i still will focus on everything except the interior
the most i'll do is get new gauges.

anyways, everytning works on it, it's just a bit finicky right now since it sat outside for many many years. i need to adjust the TC bar to fix the right wheel. (it's too far forwards, so it scrubs when you turn)

Ace24
09-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Now THAT is a treasure.

****ing lucky southerners... you call that rust? That is not rust... come to NY and I'll show you rust/rot like you wouldn't believe.

Well now I know what I'm looking for when I move to TX haha.

Nenkitsune
09-15-2007, 07:58 PM
southerner?? You mean South Westerner. Southern people get just as much **** as you do.

more pics
hehe, very very pretty vin plate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/My%20Z/DSC06849.jpg

there's a slight bit of rust INSIDE the box, but other than that, it's perfect (it's also the color of my old bug) I bet that airbox is actually worth quite a bit. the rust looking stuff is really dirt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/My%20Z/DSC06846.jpg

the original stickers designating color code and stating that it comes with antifreeze rated at -37c
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/My%20Z/DSC06847.jpg

I didn't notice till earlier, but the hood has it's emissions diagram on it still (in perfect shape, just a bit of dust)
I need a ****ing TPS for this car before it'll run right. it's so flooded out that you can barely open up the throttle past idle to get it to rev. this morning it was fine, so it's not like anything really changed. It could use a fuel system flush though

Tyler_ACS
09-16-2007, 07:43 AM
clean that enigne off. Some simple green and Amour All foaming tire shine goes a LONG way.

Nenkitsune
09-16-2007, 07:46 AM
i will. Right nwo i just want it running correctly. I got it mostly running, now it's just hesitant with the throttle because the TPS is either going bad, or needs more cleaning. at least now it revs better if you're easy on it.

The Pumper
09-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Not bad for 900. Hopefully you have $$ left over to fix some of it up to be a beast. ;)

applesauce
09-16-2007, 04:11 PM
jesus fish FTW

Maxx-Damage
09-16-2007, 05:47 PM
No 1 of those " Sarcasim is just another service i offer" stickers...

Nenkitsune
09-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Not bad for 900. Hopefully you have $$ left over to fix some of it up to be a beast. ;)
a bit. i bought a new filter, new valve cover gasket, a big ass adjustable wrench, expanded my metric wrench set, bought a feeler gauge, bought some carb cleaner, contact cleaner, shop towels, new plugs, injector cleaner etc.

it needs a new TPS. it's firing on all 6, but i think a couple injectors are plugged. there's nothing wrong with the engine, but i think it was the number 2 cylinder was weak when i pulled the plug wire, had good spark (weak as in, engine power didn't drop as bad as the others) when i took a look at the plug, it was running leaner than the other plugs.

gonna do some work on it, replace the tps and clean it up a bit more.

next paycheck is 400 bucks. I'm gonna insure it and register it to bring me a step closer to having it tested (and it means i can drive it on teh street lol)

oldironmudder
09-17-2007, 07:37 AM
use a long screw driver to hear your engine talk to ya!!

Run some lucas injector cleaner or marvals mystry oil through it.

Nenkitsune
09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
That's exactly what i did. It's actually the 1 and 3 that are weak. number 1 needed the injector plug to be cleaned, so that fixed it. and number 3, i'll bet it's just not getting fuel. number 6 is running wickedly rich, but all the rest look pretty damn lean (electrode part, with the ceramic, is very very light tan) number 3, it looks like it's not burning much. the metal part on top that makes the spark with the electrode, is very coppery, with almost no signs of fuel burning (all the others have a light tan to darkish tan) so, i'm going to go with, the injector rail is filled with nasty ass **** that's plugging everything up.

at least it's drivable in it's condition. just not perfect.

I'm actually going to run seafoam in it ^^ I've heard that stuff does WONDERS to engines.

oldironmudder
09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
seafoam?!?!?!?! do it at night or when most folks are not out & about.
I saw a 93-97 LT1 Camaro smoke out about a football feild size of the street on that stuff.

Nenkitsune
09-19-2007, 11:18 PM
actually, it shouldn't make it smoke much. there's some people who run it quite often.
I might do your plan, Lucas in the oil, Seafoam in teh tank. I'm gonna have the tank dropped and relined first though.

It's running MUCH better. slowly, but surely it is improving. it's deffinetly leakin out a valve seal
i think old oil is causing it. I'll be the oil's viscosity is so poor, that it's bleeding through the seals.

oldironmudder
09-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Also replace the PCV. If its bad and you have enough blowby, the pressure will push oil through seals also.

colonel_moo
09-20-2007, 06:31 AM
pretty nice for $900. my friend has an 82 and is in the process of dropping a 350 in it (yeah, doesnt go well with a Japanese car, but it will be sweet).

Nenkitsune
09-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Also replace the PCV. If its bad and you have enough blowby, the pressure will push oil through seals also.
i don't think the pcv is bad, when i do the oil change i'll check

no blowby though. I get rich smoke since the plugged injectors are causing 2 clear ones to run rich, but there is a valve guide leaking (old oil probably the culprit)

trust me, with the Z, a 350 goes quite well. a Hybrid Z is a happy z.

Too bad his is a ZX. I never liked those.
it'll still be a sick car though ^^ but it's got 1 number to many (s30 is the 240-280, s130 is the 280zx)

The Pumper
09-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Well I'll be having about 1900 for a car in a couple weeks. So, I'd use my money on a car. ;)

Nenkitsune
09-21-2007, 07:46 PM
re-did my valve adjustment, and put new oil (20w-50 Valvoline Racing VR-1)
and also a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. HOLY HELL did that make a difference. Oil pressure is MUCH better, and the ticking is nearly gone (it's now the normal OHC tick.

newkid
09-22-2007, 03:50 AM
not bad for 900

Tito=PBL
09-22-2007, 07:52 AM
ill probably put it all in that bank. while i thought about what to do with it.

Nenkitsune
09-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I found out what was wrong with the fuel on my car

Get a stirring straw (you know, the little red ones)

Now try breathing through it WHILE RUNNING

now imagine a car trying to pump fuel through a hole that big

get what i'm comming from?

the fuel line gonig to the fuel pump, had twisted then dry rotted, causing the pump to have to PULL fuel through a hole no bigger than a stirring straw. pumps are great at pushing fuel, but suck at pulling fuel. i cut away the bad section, and now it's running great (but i need to charge teh battery, and replace the water inlet. i only ran it long enough to go wide open up to 3k, then i let it idle and shut it off)