PDA

View Full Version : Which tip for dremel?

DFSniper
09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm in the middle of dremilling (pun intended) my Victor body. What's the best tip to use for carving through the aluminum. I've been using cut-off wheels, but they're not too good at shaving the aluminum off and leave too many scratches. I know that a few of you have custom milled your own bodies adn i was wondering what the best tip to use is.

oldironmudder
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Try a gringing bit, one made for metal grinding.

MVS1
09-15-2007, 01:20 AM
carbide disk works really well.

DFSniper
09-15-2007, 07:46 AM
alright, thanks. i found my dad's diamond tipped bits, and ended up using those. the first time i had used them i kinda broke 2 of them, but this time i didnt have any problems. they cut slower than the grinding bit, but were much easier to control.

shunut
09-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I've always used the fiber reinforced cut off wheels or the EZ Lock cut off wheels. Never had any problems with them, but you do need to make sure you have your dremel set on the correct speed for the media you are cutting/grinding/sanding.

druid
09-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Also...if you are doing something like "half-blocking" the top tube...start the cut with the dremel wheel and when you have a decent sized notch, switch to a hack-saw.

If you are light-to-medium engraving, use the small ball or needle tips.

If you are removing alot of material for a "3-d" milled effect, use the shaped stones intended for aluminum.

DFSniper
09-15-2007, 12:16 PM
can you explain what the shaped stones are supposed to look like? also, what would be good for getting a smooth looking finish (besides finishing up with high-grit sandpaper)

codymm1014
09-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I've always used the fiber reinforced cut off wheels or the EZ Lock cut off wheels. Never had any problems with them, but you do need to make sure you have your dremel set on the correct speed for the media you are cutting/grinding/sanding.

So what speed is it supposed to be set at for a spyder body?

DFSniper
09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
mine is a 5,000-35,000 (10 speed) and i usually put it on 5, its not too fast but still does a decent job cutting/grinding

DRAGON
09-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Carbide or cutting disks are your best choice. Diamond and stones won't do much. Diamond will basically do nothing at all with aluminum. Stones will quickly dwindle and can break apart. Nothing like picking a piece of one of those outta your face. Carbide bits are tough to control unless they are in a stationary aparatus like a drill press so you can move the part around the bit not the bit around the part. The direction you are pushing/pulling the bit has a different result as well. Cutting disks are good because the edge cuts through the part and you can clean it up later with a sanding barrel attachment. Your choice of cuts/shapes are limited with the disks though. Using any of them depends on exactly what you want to do to the part -

druid
09-15-2007, 07:04 PM
DF...the shaped stones are just stone tips of varying size and configurations. Each can do a [_] range of tasks per tip. ...and they don't break apart thaaaaaat quickly. I used them just fine on my Esprit and various other projects involving aluminum pieces....without any undue wear or pieces being "blasted" into my face....:dodgy:

DFSniper
09-15-2007, 07:51 PM
ok, i know what you mean now, its pretty much the same thing ive been using.

codymm1014
09-16-2007, 07:44 AM
DF- what field do you play at?

DFSniper
09-16-2007, 01:46 PM
im gonna start going to conders when i get the chance