PDA

View Full Version : Lookin into an MR1

hkyhead13
09-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I currently have a pilot acs but I am lookin into gettin an MR1 and then upgrading because I am really into woodsball now.

So I was wondering how has everyones experience been with their MR1?

09-02-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd stick with the pilot its way better than the MR1,
unless your goal is to downgrade

irishwarrior
09-03-2007, 06:26 AM
I have an MR1 and it works great for woodsball. It has a nice matte finish, is very durable, can be field stripped and because of the matte black finish isn't bright and shiny. Personally, I think you should get an MR1, switch the trigger frames and either sell the Pilot or keep it as a spare marker.:D :D

Critical
09-03-2007, 06:53 AM
:yeahthat:

Get a reconditioned MR1 for $60-ish, transfer over the frame and internals from the Pilot, and you'll have a nice woodsball marker for not a lot of $$$.

cyberthrasher_706
09-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I would definitely get an MR-1, and then major upgrades are up to you but not necessary at all. Just for an example, we went out on a long planned woodsball trip yesterday (My legs still hurt like hell) and had a pretty wide range of guns out there. One guy had a completely upgraded Tippman A5 that seemed like it was doing about 50 balls a second which just gave away his positioning and ate up all of his air. We rented a tank and I only got to fill off it once. The other guy has a Custom Pro and also had to continuously fill up because when they get into the high speed electronics they get used to just throwing paint out there and not taking their shots accurately. I call it "Spray and Pray." Now on the contrary, I have me MR-1 with air and remote with an upgraded j&j ceramic 14" barrel and after they took their first shot we were able to take them out everytime with almost the same range as them with their flatlines and dead on accuracy. The MR-1 is a perfect, always reliable woodsball gun as it is and if by some chance something goes wrong it is so easy to field strip it everyone's jaws just drop (yeah, somehow I had my bolt in upside down so they had to wait for me to tear into it and repair). So hopefully this helped you compare different guns. on a final note, I think mine and my friends brand new mechanical X7 were the only ones that lasted the entire 10 hour or so game without having to make repairs on something. Good Luck and Have Fun.

09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
why not just paint the pilot and buy a stock and what ever milsim item he wants?

cyberthrasher_706
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't know. I don't really know anything about the pilot. I just know what I've seen and I've seen way to many electronics fail in the heat of battle and eat up way to many resources. I just know that the mr-1 is extremely basic meaning very little in the way of parts to fail and very easy to fix on the spot if something does go wrong. But hey, if the Pilot works for him then do it. The point is he's already thinking about getting an mr-1 and just wanted to know about our experiences with them. Hell, the pilot could always be a great loaner or a backup.

Fantom
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
The MR-1 is great. Got one from WallMart and found it to be very accurate. A little loud because it works at 800 psi or more, which doesn't make it too different from the Pilot at that.

I converted it to low pressure and added a tail to the bolt so I can cock it from the back. Proceeded to trim down the standard cocking knob, so I was able to install a red dot sight on the picatinny rail.

I've made already a couple of variations on it and the last one is a QLoader installed under the barrel and I'm using a 22 ci HPA tank installed on a regular drop forward. The tank works also as a stock. Added an e-frame from an old Imagine, a CP 14 in barrel and it rocks.

09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
well I have had both an MR1 and a pilot
the pilot beats it out in every category
the only thing the mr1 has on the pilot is the offset feed neck

Fantom
09-04-2007, 04:21 PM
well I have had both an MR1 and a pilot
the pilot beats it out in every category
the only thing the mr1 has on the pilot is the offset feed neck

Now you make me curious......what is the difference between the pilot and the MR1? I haven't had a pilot yet, put it depends on what you say :)
Also, what do you consider advantages of the Pilot?

The offset of the feedneck is really a difficult one, because without modifying the cocking knob and the adding the rear cocking handle to the bolt, the off center feedneck is moot because there is no way of mounting the red dot in the picatinny rail without the mods.

Thanks.

cyberthrasher_706
09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
check out my picture thread for what I did for the red dot sight. The other plus to the offset is even without a red dot you can actually sight down the barrel without a feedneck in your way.

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12931

09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
well it has an eframe,dual detents, price plus there are a lot of upgrades for it like other spyders
I just never liked the fact that you can't add a regulator to the MR1 without having to buy an ugly adapter but the MR1 looks better imo
but it's limiting
since theres not much you can really do to it that increases performance besides the basics

Fantom
09-05-2007, 03:42 AM
check out my picture thread for what I did for the red dot sight. The other plus to the offset is even without a red dot you can actually sight down the barrel without a feedneck in your way.

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12931

Excellent solution to the problem!!!!

Fantom
09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
well it has an eframe,dual detents, price plus there are a lot of upgrades for it like other spyders
I just never liked the fact that you can't add a regulator to the MR1 without having to buy an ugly adapter but the MR1 looks better imo
but it's limiting
since theres not much you can really do to it that increases performance besides the basics

I did add a Low Preasure Madman rocket Valve, a CP short regulator all mounted in a modified discarded Pilot front block, using the Pilot's volume chamber. During the transformation I discovered that the Pilot's expansion chamber is not screwed like a normal one, so you can't screw a regulator directly to it. I had to use a Lapco adapter.

The standard stock that comes with the MR1 is garbage. I got rid of it and got a JC Folding stock.

Bought a refurbished Imagine and installed the e-frame to the MR1.

It is preaty quite now. Accutate for one shot kills and at the same time if I have to swing out paint, it rocks.

Check my posting: http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=9234&page=2