PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

Protan
08-25-2007, 07:25 PM
1st. I thought I heard someone say dont oil derlin bolts. Is this true, why so?
2. A lot of times my friends (noobs) will drop a bunch of paintballs and they will pick them up rub off any dirt and put them back in the hopper. Is that ok? I heard people say to never put a ball back in that has hit the ground.

Quick reply! I need to clean my gun tonight

vwjimmy
08-25-2007, 07:34 PM
1. Delrin is self lubricating and can swell if you oil it so don't!
2. Personally, I would never put a paintball in my hopper that has been fired. The trip down the barrel weakens the shell. But, if I spill a pod, I would pick em up and use em, after I dusted them off.....

Protan
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
We only pick up the ones that are spilled and thx vwj

applesauce
08-26-2007, 07:32 AM
i wouldn't recommend doing that. once they hit the ground and get dirty, that dirt is going to find its way into your marker and disrupt the operation. also, wet paint also swells pretty fast, which could burst in the hopper then the whole bunch is usless!

pb34
08-26-2007, 07:35 AM
It depends who's delrin bolt you would be oiling. For example, Kingman uses a cheaper type of delrin which will most likely swell when you oil it. On the other hand Alamo City Pb uses a different type delrin plus they have o-rings so I oil it. I have had no problems oiling my ACP bolt but I would not oil any delrin ACS bolts.

Protan
08-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Its a Vs1 derlin

Griff
08-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I am using a VS2 I use a silicone spray on lube and have had no problems with it, for what it's worth.

Bilbo
08-26-2007, 11:55 AM
As for Delrin, I have said it before and will say it again: I have seen posts about not oiling it because of swelling, including a mention of it on Otter's site. I have the utmost respect for Otter and the information he puts out. But despite all the posts and articles I read that say not to oil delrin or it will swell, I never have actually seen a post or heard a person actually say it happened to them. I oiled my delrin bolt in my Pilot, every time I played, for months before I heard the warning, and I never had a single problem. If there was any swelling at all, it must have been so slight as to not even make a difference. If there is someone out there who can say that they (not a friend or someone they heard about) actually had a delrin bolt in a spyder swell up so much from oil that it caused a problem, please post it. That isn't a challenge, nor a boast, nor an attempt to be a jerk. I just think the delrin-swelling thing is one of those things oft-talked-about but rarely encountered. After seeing how much oil I put on my bolt without any effect, I'd imagine you'd have to pretty much soak it in oil to make it swell enough to cause a problem.

Kenny_McCormic
08-26-2007, 01:06 PM
I oil my core bolt because of the orings and it hasnt swelled yet. I used extreme rage oil.

vwjimmy
08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I have had a Pilot delrin bolt swell to the point I had to sand it.....
Although I didn't directly oil it, I did get alot of oil in there when cleaning it after use. The front part of the bolt was sticking, and the ACS spring was sucking up all the forward motion...just like it was jammed.
You might indeed get away with lubing the bolt, but it can swell. Oil is absoultly not needed on that bolt, so why risk it?

Bilbo
08-27-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm not advocating routine oiling or anything like that. I agree, there's no reason to risk it, even if the odds are low.