PDA

View Full Version : I'm biting the bullet

vikingshadow
08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
and trying out for a new paintball team tomorrow. The field/team owner says I'm on the team, I just have to go through this formality tomorrow so he can pick a couple more players to round out the roster.

First, let me say that I know most of you know how I feel about tournament players anymore - which was the reason I stopped playing over a year ago. That hasn't changed one bit. I still think they're too arrogant, elitist and gangsta - and really hurt the game in terms of their attitude (of course, this is a generalization. However, in my experience, it's becoming more and more of a realization than a generalization.) And this really doesn't sit well with me so it's a huge issue right now. I was burnt out, and honestly just out and out hated the game.

Which leads me to this...since I've come back into the game, I've played maybe 5 days - since January! The problem is either everyone that shows up to play at our field is a fresh off the highway nub, or nobody shows up at all. Then, on the off-chance that someone does show up, they would rather stand around and talk the talk, but not play the game. Seems the only way I can get some actually playing time is to join a team and start back in tournaments again. Talk about a Catch 22!

Now, don't get me wrong. There are some pretty cool things about this - the team is going to be totally field sponsored, with the team owner being the field owner. We're getting DEEP discounts on equipment, parts, guns, paint and air, and he'll pay for us to play in tournaments. Once the field picks up again (we're in the off season around here right now), he's going to try and pay our way to a few local and regional tournaments and then to a national level tournament. Another cool thing is he's my old co-captain from Catalyst ;) and several of the old Catalyst guys are going to be on the team. However, this time, I'm not going to be a captain, a coach or anything - just a player, and that suits me just fine! No pressure that way - just do my job and move on. Then of course, it'll be much cheaper for me to play and get things. Only commitment I have to make is to be on the team for one year and help ref and run the field every couple of weeks. Of course, with a team, at least I'll get some playing time on an actual field again.

I guess the reason I'm telling you is because I'm a bit nervous - I quit playing for more than a year, then when I started back up again, I haven't played that much so I'm certain my skills are gone, or mostly gone. I'm also going to be the oldest guy out there again, and quite frankly, for years I've actually been of of the better players out there. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm not anymore, but this is going to show the others that. So my rep is at stake, I suppose.

So, ignore this post, or give me some support, or whatever you want. Consider it a blog and shake your head - post advice, I don't care!

vwjimmy
08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Good Luck Vike!!!!!!
Show them why they cannot live without you ;)

marvin-martian
08-25-2007, 07:43 PM
youre skills should come back within a practice or two. i wouldnt worry too much about that.

VS3 Sniper
08-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Its like riding a bike, once ya know how its easy to hop back on, gl man

STRIKEFIRST
08-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Vike we need guys like you out there to represent what this sport is really about.

The skills will come back quickly...put your heart on the line and own it.

Good luck man...dig deep and fly!

vikingshadow
08-26-2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to go out and do my best. Since I have conciously made an effort to make this school year a POSITIVE year, I'm going to apply it to the field as well. I WILL have a great time, and show them what an old guy is capable of while I'm at it, lol!

HelpDeskHustler
08-26-2007, 06:02 AM
I always play my best when it's been awhile since I've played... IDK why.

Oscum Guy
08-26-2007, 06:21 AM
gl man.

LostCause
08-26-2007, 07:30 AM
good luck man, you;ll do fine.

applesauce
08-26-2007, 07:40 AM
have you done any training in prep.? get out and go for a long run or something, see where your legs and lungs are. hit up the gym too and get that core back into shape!

Critical
08-26-2007, 07:49 AM
..and get that core back into shape!

round is a shape! lol

Tito=PBL
08-26-2007, 08:08 AM
good luck

bigred76
08-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to go out and do my best. Since I have conciously made an effort to make this school year a POSITIVE year, I'm going to apply it to the field as well. I WILL have a great time, and show them what an old guy is capable of while I'm at it, lol!
That's the attitude we want! A phrase I keep telling my girlfriend is very simple... "Get ubber." I mean by that get BEYOND, get over your worries and issues, and be an ubber man. I know that you have it in you, it's merely whether you have the will to do it.

Good luck, Bryce!

BTW, first paragraph... missed a period after the parentheses again. :dodgy:

Theheroguy
08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
tl only skimmed glad your back in the game

vikingshadow
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
^^^Read it - that's what your being educated for.

Thanks guys - well, it was pretty rough! I'm pretty rusty, for sure. I was hanging out of my bunkers too much (not making excuses, but it sucks not having air bunkers for a long time to play on.) So, internally I spent most of the day working on getting tight again. I'd say that by the end of the day, I was getting pretty good at being tight with the bunker and gun again. Thought I did pretty decent moving from bunker to bunker - only getting shot out a couple times on that (lots of other times on other things...)

Let's see - I have a pretty good list of boo boos - one of the first things I did was break the drive cone in my loader - that pretty much screwed the rest of the day's shooting for me. Good thing Chris Cole was there to loan me a loader. I had left my Zeggy at home, so I was poop out of luck in that department. He helped us out quite a bit today doing the coaching thing, and got in a few games as well. Did a good job as well!

Had a couple of leaks, but nothing major. Broke my Spego feedneck (actually it just came apart - I have to work on that.) Shot a case and a half of paint, though! Most I've shot in one day in nearly two years...

Got a bunker in also! Funny story - I thought he was the only guy left in, so I ran up field and bunkered him. Unbeknownst to me, they had one other guy left in, and I ran right by him and didn't even see him! He didn't see me either, lol!

So, for people like Heroguy up there, here's the short version....I tried out, had some bad things happen, felt bad because I thought I was sucking up the joint badly, and had some good things happen.

Oh, and I made the team. I am now a member of Picasso Trigger...now, to get those skills back!

vikingshadow
08-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Oh, yeah! Round is a VERY cool shape, and I left the period that way to see if you would catch it, lol!

:p

Theheroguy
08-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I read it now... same reply lol

HelpDeskHustler
08-26-2007, 03:52 PM
http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=Read%20an%20entire%20post%20 by%20Vike

Hossy gave me the idea, and since it was brought up....

But really... I read it and it's good to hear... just don't fry in Okie heat.

Chris Cole
08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Not only was I there to loan the hopper, I blew up the fool that he ran past. Note to self: turn debounce up on the Tadao board.

vikingshadow
08-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Hehehe - that was a messed up deal, wasn't it?

Cool! I have reached Xbox status!

LostCause
08-27-2007, 01:23 PM
well im pretty sure you would kill me lol, though ncongrats on makeing the team. and hope you dont get to many more boo boos on your gear...those dont heal lol jk.