PDA

View Full Version : Upgradeing a stock spider to run on O2

The_raven
08-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Hello all
I've been using a stock spyder for about a year now and have loved it, but have now decided to move away from Co2 and upgrade to Air. The only problem with this is, i don't really have a clue how.
I've been reading through the forum and looking at other threads, and i am under the impression i would need a HP air system with 800psi output and a regulator to make it all work nice. My problem mainly stems from fitting a regulator to a spyder Xtra.
Some people have told me just use the regulator on your air bottle and everything will be fine, others such as on this forum have said putting the reg before the spyders X-chamber will make the reg work a lot harder.
If it is indeed the case it makes it work harder, how would i go about installing a regulator on a spyder? from what i understand, does it replace the X chamber and just screw in there and i attach my stock ASA to the bottom of the new reg just like the old X-chamber?
Then comes my final problem (my compliments if yours till following me here) is about non-metric threads on the stock ASA. would this mean i would need to buy some sort of adapter? and would i only need one from the ASA into the reg? or would i need a whole new ASA and drop down etc.
Also if an adapter is needed where abouts would i find one? that would ship to the UK.

Basically i need a whole world of help here, i hope i have explained my problem clearly. if you have any suggestions or advice please feel free.

Many thanks
Raven

Kenny_McCormic
08-24-2007, 07:16 AM
you could remove the guts from the ex chamber to make it a gas thrue grip which will be fine with an hpa tank

The_raven
08-24-2007, 07:27 AM
how would i go about that?, i was under the impression the X chamber was a solid piece of metal. forgive my ignorance, it just looks that way.

SupaSnipa
08-24-2007, 08:15 AM
No the expansion chamber is just what like the name sake it gives the CO2 time to expand into gas and helps regulate air flow so you dont get sudden CO2 spikes. However a regulator does a much better job. To answer one of your questions yes, the regulator does screw into where your X chamber is. The bottle regulator is the part that screws into your asa. Regulators range in price from $25-about $80 depending on what kind you want. And yes you could hook up your stock asa on the reg but im not quite sure if its non metric or not.

Hope that helped

The_raven
08-24-2007, 08:26 AM
so, if i were to buy a regulator to replace the mini expansion chamber, would i still need a reg on my air bottle?
Also do you know of anywhere that would sell regulators that will fit a spyder xtra and also ships to the UK?

If i understand correctly (please correct me if i'm wrong), does this basically mean i could just swap out the mini X chamber, replace it with a regulator, hook the vertical regulator up to my ASA and then just slam in a HP air bottle and it would all work fine? (with possibly adding an adapter between the ASA line and the Reg so that it was metric.)

SupaSnipa
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Q.so, if i were to buy a regulator to replace the mini expansion chamber, would i still need a reg on my air bottle?
A.You dont need to worry about that because when you buy a tank it comes with one on it.

Q.Also do you know of anywhere that would sell regulators that will fit a spyder xtra and also ships to the UK?
A.Yes just about any place sell regs but this is a great place to buy from. One of my sonsors www.firstcallpaintball.com
If you're looking a cheaper reg here is one-http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/pages-productinfo/product-1616/evil-evil-detonator-regulator.html?zenid=b3f9cfdf9aae668544c3481943081 f1a

If youre looking more expensive here is a great reg-http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/pages-productinfo/product-2848/custom-products-cp-reg-adjustable-chrome.html?zenid=b3f9cfdf9aae668544c3481943081f1a

Q.If i understand correctly (please correct me if i'm wrong), does this basically mean i could just swap out the mini X chamber, replace it with a regulator, hook the vertical regulator up to my ASA and then just slam in a HP air bottle and it would all work fine? (with possibly adding an adapter between the ASA line and the Reg so that it was metric.)
A. If I understand you correcly the answer would be yes thats how you do it

The_raven
08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Sorry to ask what might seem like a silly question, but how do i know which regs will or won't fit my spyder xtra? or is where the reg screws in a universal size/shape?

thank you greatly SupaSnipa you Q/A section is just what i needed, i think i understand the procedure now.

SupaSnipa
08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah where your x chamber screws in is a universal mount so you could buy another x chamber a gas thru grip or a reg and it would all fit

Glad I could help

The_raven
08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
small question this time.

all the regs i'm seeing, some have gauges other don't. how are you supposed to know what pressure the regulator is causing without a gauge? or are you supposed to buy one or something?

SupaSnipa
08-24-2007, 09:12 AM
No its just some have guage ports to put guages and some dont. You dont need to have one but some people like them. Its all personal preferance. I personaly wouldnt get one because they are more money (I'm Poor) and i have a guage on my gun so i dont need one. If you want to put a guage on your gun to see what pressure your gun is running at then go here-> http://www.ottersccustoms.com/gaugemnt.html

The_raven
08-24-2007, 09:26 AM
the cheap reg you suggested, would that work with HP air system? i was under the impression it needed to be 800 psi?.

SupaSnipa
08-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh I'm very sorry yes for a regular spyder you will not beable to use this unless you make your gun Low Pressure you are right you need 800psi- In this case you're going to want to go with a reg that goes up that high....I cant find one right now

Kenny_McCormic
08-24-2007, 10:26 AM
is this the 07 xtra or an older model? If its an 07 the ex chamber is only a 1 stage/gas thrue so you can run hpa without anything extra

The_raven
08-24-2007, 10:34 AM
i believe mine is the 2005 model spyder xtra, does this make a big difference?
and would this mean i might need more parts?

bamf-hacker
08-24-2007, 10:53 AM
The only thing you need is a HPA tank. Get a High pressure one and you will be all set.

The gun can run on both CO2 and HPA with no mods at all.

The_raven
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
altho the spyder can run without a reg, isn't it wise to have one? to stop velocity spikes?
I was under the impression the mini-X chamber would interfere with and reg on a bottle.

Also, is there any real difference between using Co2 with a X chamber and using air without a regulator? apart from air being nicer to internals and holding less shots.

bamf-hacker
08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Nope. On a HPA tank you already have a regulator. The PSI in the tank is 3000 or higher and the reg on the tank brings it down to 800ish psi, which is exactly what your Spyder needs to operate. You would only need a regulator if you wanted to make you gun run at low pressure.

With C02 you can have spikes and it helps to have a C02 friendly reg to keep that from happening.

The_raven
08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
does the Xtra's mini expansion chamber on the spyder not mess with the regulator?
it was mentioned in a post somewhere else to always put regs after X chambers, is that not an issue with a 2005 xtra?

sorry for all these questions.
i truly appreciate your help thus far

bamf-hacker
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
No issues at all.

The guns is made from Kingman to run both C02 and HPA the expansion chamber really just helps for C02 and gives you a nice foregrip :)

The_raven
08-25-2007, 03:33 AM
I was just wondering, whats the advantage of running the stock spyder with HPA is instead of Co2? apart from nice to internals.
Also it has been mentioned a regulator (altho not nessisary it seems) would increase performance of my marker. how much of an improvement would it be? noticable? and what would the improvement be?

Again, many thanks
Raven

Griff
08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Using HPA you can get a string of shots to verry less than 10 fps. making your marker more consistant,a reg. will help for higher consistancy. It also is not tempature depenant, unlike Co2. Best part I think is that if you save up and get a nice tank,it will work with almost any marker that is made. My 68ci 4500psi tank is 7years old and on it's 5th maker that I've owned.

vwjimmy
08-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Brother, if you buy an HPA tank, all you have to do is screw it in and play. HPA tanks are regulated at about 800psi and your marker requires no mods to operate with them!
Now, if you want to drop the operating pressure of the marker, that is a different story....but to use HPA, you only need to buy a tank, fill it, and go have fun!