PDA

View Full Version : Paint to Bore match

Blazen James
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Im a noob here and I have only played twice. the 2nd time being ION 2007 @ Skirmish. Ive been reading a ton of PB forums and gathering all this info from the various postings. What i am also seeing is mentioning of a "paint to bore match". I understand the concept of this but.......

I guess my question would be, what is the best paint to bore match for the MR 1 ???? there is cheap paint and field only paint which is expensive.

Hossy
08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
many people here may suggest a certain type of paint, but your field/stores may not have them.

It would be a good idea to check paint to your barrel, out of the paint that you have. Maybe try a new type of paint. Thats just an idea.
But id suggest to go get a new barrel, because it its a very good upgrade.

kbonnell
08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
When you buy a barrel kit you have the inserts that go inside the barrel to make the paint match. If you are lucky enough to have field paint match your stock barrel then great. Most of the time that dosen't happen so you would go with a kit.

oldironmudder
08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
The paint that you use, put one in the barrel. If it rolls out, to small. If it stays & when you blow on it, only needs a little pressure, thats a good match.

Ive had good luck with the diablo/draxxus paint from wally world for years now.

Blazen James
08-23-2007, 01:35 PM
The paint that you use, put one in the barrel. If it rolls out, to small. If it stays & when you blow on it, only needs a little pressure, thats a good match.

Ive had good luck with the diablo/draxxus paint from wally world for years now.

this is what I was looking for. thank you. I know they have $20 per case paint at WalMart, then there is paint that goes for $50-$60 or more. I was curious as to what some of you guys have used and found to be the best to shoot out of the stock barrel of the MR 1. I forgot what we used at Skirmish but it was like $72 per case.

To be honest I thought that all paint balls had a standard size to them and the markers all having the same size bore to match.

oldironmudder
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
You can take two balls made right next to each other. They could be only a few microns differance at the factory but after shipping there could be more of a differance.

Kingman is known for somewhat low tolerances in their markers & barrels but they have a upper & lower limit. EX: Want a .689 bore barrel but will allow a .691 upper limit & .687 lower limit. Any thing outside of that is scrap.

agurish
08-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Paint to Bore match - *THE* secret for paintball gun accuracy & shot distance. The definition is thus: the closer your paintball size (in inches diameter, i.e. .680) matches the bore size of your barrel (also in inches diameter, i.e. .683), the better your marker will be able to propel the ball towards your target with the maximum of efficiency. The reason is like this: Since the ball and the barrel are more closely matched, the barrel will have the maximum effect on adjusting the direction that the ball will go, the size of the bore will also determine how much gas pressure will be required to make the ball travel out the barrel. If the ball matches the barrel closely, less gas is required, because less gas escapes around to the front of the ball, causing turbulence, and "back pressure", which would require more gas pressure from the back of the ball to overcome. The pressure behind your ball is going to be higher than atmospheric pressure, which is the entire reason the paintball flies out of your barrel in the first place. Just how much gas pressure that is required to do this is the quantity in question here. As for "tolerances", stock barrels then to be fairly slack, as no one expects sub-100$ markers to be all that accurate out of the box. After-market barrels tend to be better in this regard, as you've made an investment in their product, and would expect it to perform better than the stock barrel. Therefore the tolerances are much tighter, and quality control is much, much better. You'll also see that some companies vary more than others, and some barrel materials vary as well. Brass barrels tend to shoot well, but are fragile, more so than aluminum or steel. Aluminum barrels are popular, and relatively cheap, but vary widely in quality. Steel barrels are heavy, strong, but are relatively rare, as steel is more expensive than aluminum. "Kits" as a previous poster mentioned are *the best* way to go, if you wish to have the maximum variability in adjusting your barrel bore to match whatever paint you end up with. They allow you to put different sized inserts into a sleeve-barrel, which allow you to adjust to the different sizes of paint. "Good" paint doesn't really vary in size within a case of 2000, but "Bad" paint can vary widely, with some being large (.693), and some being small (.678). The best tool to use when determining the "quality" of your paint is a paintball sizer card. This allows you to judge the size of the paint by using different sized holes, and finding which one will fit most closely around the paintball itself. If you sort your paint into it's sizes, and then match that to a barrel that is .001, or .002 larger, you'll get the most bang for your buck. As a rule of thumb, more expensive paint tends to hold up better in shipping, and keeps it's size better. Paintballs are sensitive to temperature, so remember that "heat expands, and cold contracts"!

-AGURISH

agurish
08-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Damn... a whole dissertation right there. Sorry!

Blazen James
08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
thank you for that lengthy explanation.

now since I just bought my marker and want to shoot it a few times before thinking about purchasing a newer/better barrel. What would be a good brand name paint to shoot out of it without going thru all the heartaches of trying many different paints. I want to be able to shoot efficeintly with what I have until I can afford to upgrade in the future.

My son shoots a case of $20-$25 paint from Walmart out of his Tippman 98 custom. This may not be the best for him either.

Someone mentioned on here that they had good expierences with the Diablo brand. anyone else care to comment on which brand of paint you shoot and like or is best for the stock barrrels ???

the local field I attend (Fox 4) has just banned "MOnster Balls" saying it is causing problems with cleanup.

agurish
08-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Hmmm... Good paints I have tried... I have used Monster Balls (Brass Eagle). They are "ok", as in not super quality, but not bottom of the line either. I have used WGP paints (different ones by them, can't remember names). They were very good, even when it was old, shooting very well in both my MR-1, and my Viewloader Orion. I currently have a boatload of Zap Recreational that I'm dying to find out if it's any good or not. My favorite paint so far has been a type that I don't remember the name or the manufacturer. The paint itself had a black shell w/ bright red-pink fill. The shell itself was fairly brittle/hard, but shot very accurately, and broke well on harder targets, bouncing on softer ones. I didn't care that it bounced too much though, as the players I shot with it knew they were hit, even if the paint didn't break, they called themselves out anyhow, just to avoid getting shot some more.... Hehehe.

-AGURISH

08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
what about over boring?
I have a smart parts linear barrel with a standard bore size but I find that all my paint just rolls out but the accuracy between it and my jnj are the same if not theres no noticeable difference

agurish
08-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Shooting either "under-sized" paint, or an "over-bored" barrel will hurt accuracy as well as your overall gas efficiency. It requires more pressure to move the ball out of the barrel because gas escapes around the paintball, causing turbulence. Also, the barrel, when oversized, or shooting small paint, has less overall effect on changing the trajectory of the paintball. It doesn't do much else other than prevent the ball from going in any direction but forward. A "good" barrel will do that, and will also impart some force on the ball, either spin, or pressure (by way of better gas containment), giving you better range or better accuracy.

-AGURISH

paintballkid0206
09-01-2007, 06:54 PM
i use Orange/Orange Draxxus White Box. fits perfectly with my MR-1 barrel.