PDA

View Full Version : New car

*EM1-Master*
02-05-2006, 02:35 PM
If you guys remember my Accord I posted a week and a half ago... Yeah... Totalled... So that means... New car!!! I looked for a while for something that would be fun, relatively inexpensive, and insurable and finally decided on a ~2001 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with 5 speed manual transmission... I test drove one today and it was a BLAST... It's a really small car, and fits me like a glove... The handling was SUPER tight, and the 1.8T engine had more than enough power to really get me going... The best part? I can pick one up for about $9k... I'll be getting it sometime in the next week or so... I'll post pics when I do... And Chris, leave me alone:p

colonel_moo
02-05-2006, 02:41 PM
no offense, but... meh :dodgy:

*EM1-Master*
02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
...no offense taken... If you drive one, I have a feeling you might change your mind... They really are fun little cars, and really small... Sensitive steering, small size, and good power/weight ratio = easy weaving on the highway... The turbo in it keeps the powerband really wide; you it peaks at ~1900 rpms and doesn't start falling until about 4500 rpms... In other words, you're getting very nice acceleration through almost the whole gear... The turbo spools up really quick; very little noticable lag... The gearing is fairly close, so transition from gear to gear is like butter... For my style of driving, it suits me perfectly... It's agile enough to do whatever maneuvering I need, while not so powerful that I'm tempted to do stupid stuff with it, ie. race... Plus, the insurance for it doesn't break the bank... Basically the best of all worlds for me... Bit of a chick car? Sorta... The 2001's aren't as bad in that area as the new ones, but yeah... I honestly don't care what I look like, as long as I'm comfortable driving it... I've had to drive a VW Bug around for a month before, and I'm driving a gold minivan around right now, so the Jetta will be really nice... Again, if you go out and test drive a Jetta, you definitely may change your mind...

redlantern
02-05-2006, 08:31 PM
How was it totalled?

chubb0rz
02-05-2006, 08:33 PM
original thread - http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1052

durrell
02-05-2006, 08:54 PM
I've seen some quick Jettas..not my favorites, but a good deal and not the worst ricer you could buy..:thumbup:

Recon by Fire
02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Farfhunuggan! Volkswagon makes some good sedans but they cantendto run higher on insurnce cost. Jettas are up on the thievery list I guess.

rowdyroper2003
02-06-2006, 06:16 AM
my sister has a 2k1 jetta gls...its nice, but that 2.0 in that thing sucks big time...it seemed to not really want to open up when i put the pedal to the floor...

EDIT: where is a good place to host vids...i video'd myself OWNING a Cavy 2.2 Ecotech this weekend...plus i have some vids of "fly-bys" i've done to corvettes and impala ss's

DFSniper
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
not a big VW fan, but ive kinda grown used to that kind of jetta, theres a nice one in the neighborhood here, its dark blue with a spoiler, but its got a mini-fart can on it...

*EM1-Master*
02-06-2006, 07:36 PM
my sister has a 2k1 jetta gls...its nice, but that 2.0 in that thing sucks big time...it seemed to not really want to open up when i put the pedal to the floor...
Automatic Jetta's are tuned for a super comfy ride, not quick... With a manual transmission + 2.0L, the gearing is better, with small enough a first gear to get you moving quick enough... I'll probably be getting the 1.8L Turbo, though, which has a MASSIVE powerband... You get through most of the gear near peak torque... I might even look into the 2.6L V6... It all depends... I'll more likely get the 1.8L Turbo, though, because I want a leather interior, so I'll probably be getting a Wolfsburg edition... Which means 1.8L Turbo... It's freaking zippy, no joke -- it's small and fairly light.

not a big VW fan, but ive kinda grown used to that kind of jetta, theres a nice one in the neighborhood here, its dark blue with a spoiler, but its got a mini-fart can on it...
Definitely won't go that route... I might do some work on it, and may have a spoiler on it, but if I upgrade the exhaust, it's going to be for a quieter one... Lol I was thinking about getting a 240SX, SR20DET'ing it, doing some major work, but keeping a stock exterior for a sweet sleeper, but I need something that's going to get me through the next ~6 years reliably without costing me too much... That said, I could have a mad sweet 240SX for the amount I'm paying for the Jetta, but... Reliability FTW...

Farfhunuggan! Volkswagon makes some good sedans but they cantendto run higher on insurnce cost. Jettas are up on the thievery list I guess.
I LOL'd at the first part... Insurance is going to be a little much, but not unmanageable... Keep in mind that I'm 17... lol It'll be around $2.6k a year, but yeah... That'll go down each year, and when I'm 22, I'll get a big break, and when I'm 25, I'll hopefully be down to ~$1k a year regardless of what I'm driving... :) I live in a VERY low crime area... For college, I might have to worry about it a bit, as I'll probably be in downtown Atl, but I'll probably live out of the city, more around where I am now... But I dunno...

I've seen some quick Jettas..not my favorites, but a good deal and not the worst ricer you could buy..:thumbup:
...Jetta's are Euro ;)

original thread - http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1052
Don't remind me... :cry:

durrell
02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
lol Big step up from the Accord..:thumbup:

*EM1-Master*
02-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Das ist true... lol the Accord wasn't terrible, though... Feed her gas, oil, and coolant, and she took me where I needed to go... She was a tank... Sorta... 4Runners are kinda like armor piercing rounds in that case, I guess.... But yeah...

durrell
02-06-2006, 08:06 PM
hahaha But Im sure you're glad to get out of the Accord and into something more updated..:thumbup: I know I would be..

DFSniper
02-07-2006, 01:48 AM
...Jetta's are Euro ;)

lol, yeah, theyre not considered Ricers, theyre Eurotrash! lol

Angel69
02-07-2006, 04:35 AM
hey man u still got that accord? ill buy it for demolition derby!:D

chubb0rz
02-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Don't remind me... :cry:

opps!...well at least you got another one :p , i like jettas

shunut
02-07-2006, 06:33 AM
I'm not a big fan of VW's either but I've driven some pretty fast VW's, especially Jetta's. They are fun to drive but with VW's either you get a lemon or you get something that will last forever. I'm sure you'll like it, have fun and be safe. Get some pics up when you get a chance.

EmagWh0r3
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Half of my friends are into VW (The vdubbers) and frequently visit www.vwvortex.com. YOu can get alot of useful info from that site. I know you said you don't want to race it, but that thing has potential. Those little 1.8T motors can put out some monster power. Even though the Jetta is heavy as balls, you can "chip" it so you can boost more. Stock boost I believe is 12-14psi, and when you chip it you can get 20-24psi. But even so, the Jetta is a real comfortable car, good choice :cool: